THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's have a fashion advice thread.  (Read 934910 times)

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread.
« Reply #850 on: 20 Sep 2008, 10:20 »

You've certainly got the legs for it, but for once and all can we please put the kibosh on jean shorts, for both dudes and ladies? It's TERRIBLE. I hate it.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #851 on: 20 Sep 2008, 10:31 »

I cant really recommend the shorts and heels thing
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #852 on: 20 Sep 2008, 11:18 »

Short shorts are the only kind of shorts girls should wear. Either wear short shorts or full-length pants; anything in between looks frumpy to me.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #853 on: 20 Sep 2008, 17:11 »

fatty,

I like when certain girls wear short shorts, even in jeans they aren't too bad if paired up well, but some girls. Blech. They just shouldn't have legs because they've let themselves go.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #854 on: 20 Sep 2008, 17:37 »

"Wear nice things only if you're pretty"
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #855 on: 20 Sep 2008, 17:41 »

I have jean shorts that I wear sometimes. They are really really short, though, so I can't wear them if I have razor burn or haven't shaved in a couple of days or have too many bruises from running into things (people start asking questions). When I do wear them, though, it is most often with a tshirt and a bandana and my chacos, so basically I look like a camp counsellor. Which, incidentally, is probably what I bought them for in the first place.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #856 on: 20 Sep 2008, 17:51 »

But I wear nice things so I feel pretty.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #857 on: 20 Sep 2008, 18:47 »

Guys, some of the pictures in this slideshow are pretty cool, but the commentary is rubbish.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #858 on: 20 Sep 2008, 21:31 »

More like don't wear things that you don't fit into or that totally show off part of you that is not a very good aspect please.

Just saying, I'm not that shallow anymore. I don't wear sleeveless shirts unless I'm working out because I have no tan and skinny arms. Sleeveless shirts make me look bad, therefore I do not wear them. I have very bad tan on my legs above the knee, therefore when I wear shorts, they go to my knees. This is because I don't want to expose people to my glorious white legs. But I'm a guy, what do I know?

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #859 on: 20 Sep 2008, 21:56 »

Ali, I am pretty sure that at least a bunch of the more asiany asians around Sydney will take their fashion cues from Japan and Hong Kong, etc this summer and be wearing short shorts and short skirts with knee-high socks/stockings, so you're not gonna look at all out of place wearing 'em.  (Besides, you look good in them anyway, so what ev urrr)

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #860 on: 20 Sep 2008, 22:31 »

Those shorts look totally hot on you Ali, but I would like to see them with different heels!
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #861 on: 20 Sep 2008, 22:45 »

I'm with Jodie. I am just anti chunky heels always though, so there's a little bias. Stilettos are always going to look more elegant than cutesy, which is the vibe I get from really wide heels.

Also, I totally got a boner in that slide show from all the dudes rocking cardigans and sweaters.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #862 on: 21 Sep 2008, 00:39 »

Ali, I am pretty sure that at least a bunch of the more asiany asians around Sydney will take their fashion cues from Japan and Hong Kong, etc this summer and be wearing short shorts and short skirts with knee-high socks/stockings, so you're not gonna look at all out of place wearing 'em.  (Besides, you look good in them anyway, so what ev urrr)

You will never ever see me wear any of those looks. I am not a fob.

Re: chunky heels - Stilettos are nice and all, but I actually wanted to be able to walk.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #863 on: 21 Sep 2008, 00:54 »

It really bugs me when people wear keffiyehs without understand the political/historical significance of them.

Particularly hipster girls.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #864 on: 21 Sep 2008, 01:01 »

I don't really care about the political/blah blah of those things, but they do look pretty crap.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #865 on: 21 Sep 2008, 03:46 »

POLITICAL SCARVES. What a ridiculous idea.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #866 on: 21 Sep 2008, 04:27 »

Guys, I have knee-length denim shorts that look good on me. Are you saying I shouldn't wear what looks good on me, just because most people don't look good in the same things?
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #867 on: 21 Sep 2008, 06:15 »

You are deluding yourself. You do not look good in knee-length denim shorts. Nobody does.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #868 on: 21 Sep 2008, 11:11 »

Aw, hating on jean shorts? I would never wear them for fashion, but I have some awesome tiny ones for camping and being generally scruffy in. I think they're pretty cute:/
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #869 on: 21 Sep 2008, 11:15 »

I'm going to have to side with JHo on this one.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #870 on: 21 Sep 2008, 11:28 »

Aw, hating on jean shorts? I would never wear them for fashion, but I have some awesome tiny ones for camping and being generally scruffy in. I think they're pretty cute:/

Daisy Dukes are cute (in a scruffy way, but then nobody wears short-shorts to be classy.) Knee-length, not so much.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #871 on: 21 Sep 2008, 11:44 »

They just shouldn't have legs because they've let themselves go.

are you talking about obesity, or just heavier girls? i've seen a lot of the latter look really nice in short shorts. if they're the right style and worn with a good outfit they can be really flattering because they lengthen the leg and emphasize curves.
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2008, 11:46 by ephemere »
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #872 on: 21 Sep 2008, 12:18 »

My legs are unsuitable for short shorts because I do a lot of running and dancing, and therefore due to the lack of elasticity in my skin I have quite a lot of stretch marks.

I rather take offence to the idea that the reason I can't wear short shorts is because I've "let myself go".

On the other hand, I would never wear anything that doesn't cover my knees because I hate knees.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #873 on: 21 Sep 2008, 14:22 »

I really like the traditional patterns/the way keffiyehs look, but I don't really know how I feel about the politics behind them. So I don't wear them. It really irritates me because this seems to have 'finally' caught on in my area in the world(we get stuff like four years late), and I see at least 10 girls a DAY with them on, and I promise you not one will know even what it's called.

Yeah it's a pet peeve of mine too.

Also

I LIKE TO THE KNEE SHORTS >:| And I like jean shorts, you people are far too militant on things that 'should or shouldn't' be done. It's going to vary drastically from person to person, what they look like, and how they're shaped.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #874 on: 21 Sep 2008, 16:21 »

Jean shorts are awesome when worn properly, people here just write things off because they can't pull them off.

Keffiyah's are cool but not that cool. I do like the idea of lightweight scarves as an accessory though, and have been trying to make it work.

Also, bandana's: Y/N? Specifically tied more like a collar than all loose like a bandit.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #875 on: 21 Sep 2008, 17:18 »

For running around hiking, come on people!

Knee length jean shorts.

Short-shorts.

For the record, I never wear shorts of any manner with fashion in mind, my legs are WAY too pale for that to be a good thing.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #876 on: 21 Sep 2008, 17:23 »

Knee length jean shorts.

Apparent age: 12

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #877 on: 21 Sep 2008, 18:16 »

I'm with Jodie. I am just anti chunky heels always though, so there's a little bias. Stilettos are always going to look more elegant than cutesy, which is the vibe I get from really wide heels.

Re: chunky heels - Stilettos are nice and all, but I actually wanted to be able to walk.

Stilettos are a lot easier to turn your ankles in, AND they are terrible for your floors. If you think about your feet and how much weight they bear anyway, you'll notice that they are particularly well suited to even distribution of that weight, due to shock absorption and surface area and all that. In heels, the amount of shoe that touches the floor is not even half (probably somewhere between a quarter and a third of the total size of your foot when it's flat). If you weigh 130 pounds, and you are walking around on, oh, say 3 square inches on your toes and if the stiletto heel is about a quarter of an inch in diameter, that means that your body weight is resting on only [roughly] 3.75 square inches of foot, and since most people walk with most of their weight in their heels (we'll say 60%, since I have no way to find out how much people really skew it), that means that the floor under your heel is bearing a little more than 99 lb per square inch, making it seem like you weigh like 400 pounds.

Fatties.

This is the reason that eventually, ladies, all your heels will wear out and snap, unless they come from thoughtful producers who put a steel spike in the heel. I hate stilettos.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #878 on: 21 Sep 2008, 18:28 »

Yes, but calenlass.

They're so damn awesome looking

You could make similar arguements against corsets, no?

Also, I love those shorts, and those pictures, they're my favorites
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #879 on: 21 Sep 2008, 18:31 »

You could argue about pounds per square inch for corsets? Um... I guess?

Also, unless I am mistaken, stilettos are the spiky heels that look like you could stab someone with them.
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2008, 18:34 by calenlass »

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #880 on: 21 Sep 2008, 18:47 »

I more meant similar arguements in the idea that it's not good for you and/or uncomfortable etc

Also, No way. devilishly sexy imo (for those of you that paid attention earlier, simply those red heels I have, that are hot as hell)
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #881 on: 21 Sep 2008, 18:59 »

Do not argue with Katie about corsets DO NOT DO THIS.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #882 on: 21 Sep 2008, 19:00 »

Chunky heels will pretty much always look very 90's, especially if the bottom of the heel is wider than the top. Ugh. That is the worst. I prefer a thinner heel- not a tiny, tiny one, but less than an inch in diameter. It just looks better to me.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #883 on: 21 Sep 2008, 20:17 »

Yeah, I was referring to the way they look. Ughgahgh I just haaaate the look of chunky heels. I definitely get what Liz says about them looking really 90's too. And Drill King has bangin' heels; those are so cute
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #884 on: 21 Sep 2008, 22:31 »

They just shouldn't have legs because they've let themselves go.

are you talking about obesity, or just heavier girls? i've seen a lot of the latter look really nice in short shorts. if they're the right style and worn with a good outfit they can be really flattering because they lengthen the leg and emphasize curves.

I'm talking obesity. I have no qualms about someone who is heavy because of stress, medication, other medical issues that aren't a stupid disease like obesity. I mean people who obviously eat too much and don't do any exercise. My sister is like that, so it angers me a little.

Also, I really don't like knees either, I hate my own because I'm bow legged and they just kinda look creepy. I hated when my ex girlfriend wore dresses and shorts because they didn't pass her knees.

Take note super skinny people, our knees are weird looking. Don't wear shorts or short skirts.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #885 on: 21 Sep 2008, 22:58 »

guys just to clarify, I wasn't talking about stilettos when I said different heels.  I meant like, pumps or something like that.
Also, sometimes I wear shorts.  Not ever out of my house though.

This is what I consider to be ' too daggy to go anywhere but ok if someone knocks on the door'  Jodie
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2008, 03:40 by ebony_willow »
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #886 on: 22 Sep 2008, 11:26 »

Any time I see someone walking badly in stilettos, I cringe and fear they will trip and break their ankle or something.

And though I like Ali and think she is super cute, I hate shorts with heels. HATE. Also, clunky heels are the worst thing ever. They need to taper.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #887 on: 22 Sep 2008, 20:23 »

RE: Jean shorts.

I have always wanted to have a "Wear Too Much Denim" party where everyone wears denim shirts/jean shorts/vest/braided belts. It would be an awesome party.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #888 on: 22 Sep 2008, 20:40 »

It really bugs me when people wear keffiyehs without understand the political/historical significance of them.

Conversely, it makes me chuckle when people get so uptight about them having some deep political/historical significance. Although they are strange and exotic to Westerners, bear in mind that in the Middle East they're pretty ubiquitous, sort of like the Arab equivalent of baseball caps. Hell, back when I lived in Egypt a keffiyeh tied around the neck was part of my Boy Scout uniform.

While certainly specific political groups in the Middle East wear certain styles of keffiyeh as a recognizable part of their garb, to suggest that people can't wear them just because they like them is like saying you shouldn't wear red shirts because of the significance of that color in inner city gangs warfare.

EDIT: For some reason I thought his was a new post.
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2008, 20:43 by jhocking »

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #889 on: 22 Sep 2008, 20:44 »

Edit: Wow... me too, jhocking. I was writing this at the same time as you, apparently.

Particularly hipster girls.

It really bugs me when people make a big deal about a scarf.

First of all, why single out "hipster girls"? I've seen plenty of guys wearing them too.

Second of all- people really need to stop saying this stuff about keffiyehs. A keffiyeh is just a scarf used by people in desert regions to keep the goddamn sun off their head. While a very specific colour and pattern of scarf is associated with a certain Palestinian leader, all the other keffiyehs seen around the place aren't at all associated with anything except being a practical and decorative addition to your head. And even wearing one of the black and white ones doesn't necessarily mean anything! 

They're also used by many armed forces in many countries, including Australia and the U.K., yet no-one ever seems to bring that up.

Yeah, some of the patterns are for specific tribal groups, but so what? Arguing about this would be like saying that anyone who wears any type of tartan should find out the political stance of clan McDougal on the British Monarchy before they're allowed to wear tartan.

Please note that I don't own a keffiyeh. But you know what I do own? A khmer scarf, called a krama.

Guess what- this is a piece of clothing that has been around for thousands of years, yet became associated with the Khmer Rouge in recent times largely because of the media. Does wearing this mean I support the actions of the Khmer Rouge? No, it doesn't! I just like the scarf, and agree with Cambodians who dislike the fact that one of their lovely traditional items of clothing has become associated with something they hate.

If I didn't know all of this, it'd still be a nice looking scarf. Practical, too.
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2008, 20:47 by ViolentDove »
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #890 on: 22 Sep 2008, 20:56 »

Conversely, it makes me chuckle when people get so uptight about them having some deep political/historical significance. Although they are strange and exotic to Westerners, bear in mind that in the Middle East they're pretty ubiquitous, sort of like the Arab equivalent of baseball caps. Hell, back when I lived in Egypt a keffiyeh tied around the neck was part of my Boy Scout uniform.

While certainly specific political groups in the Middle East wear certain styles of keffiyeh as a recognizable part of their garb, to suggest that people can't wear them just because they like them is like saying you shouldn't wear red shirts because of the significance of that color in inner city gangs warfare.

That's really not the point at all. Students in Europe and America started wearing them to express solidarity with the Palestinians. It wasn't a fashion thing. It was a sort of civil action to call attention to systematic human rights abuses. Then other people started wearing them because they were "cool."
 - Napoleon

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #891 on: 22 Sep 2008, 21:15 »

You still haven't pointed out exactly what's wrong with people wearing these scarves just because they like them, or like to keep the sun off their neck.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #892 on: 22 Sep 2008, 21:16 »

Because it's offensive.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #893 on: 22 Sep 2008, 21:31 »

Oh hey you guys do you like my new hat with a swastika on it?  Fuck all that Nazi noise I just think it looks dashing.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #894 on: 22 Sep 2008, 21:36 »

It's not "offensive." It just makes it pretty obvious that the person knows nothing about why western students started wearing them, or that they give no thought to what they're wearing other than "like, omg, this looks cute!"

It was adopted to be a serious thing. It's not that those who wear it are supporting terrorism or something--they're supporting a people who are oppressed. I just personally think that's more important than some vague fashion.
 - Napoleon

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #895 on: 22 Sep 2008, 21:38 »

Man, it's lame when hate groups claim really cool symbols, and we can't like reclaim them and shit.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #896 on: 22 Sep 2008, 21:48 »

I agree, but it's not something that is gonna change, unfortunately.  I am considering growing a "Charlie Chaplin" moustache this November for Movember to reclaim it from Hitler as a valid facial hair choice.  But man, I am not sure I am the right guy for the job.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #897 on: 22 Sep 2008, 21:52 »

Actually, I see the Charile Chaplin/Hitler statche quite a bit.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #898 on: 22 Sep 2008, 21:53 »

I agree, but it's not something that is gonna change, unfortunately.  I am considering growing a "Charlie Chaplin" moustache this November for Movember to reclaim it from Hitler as a valid facial hair choice.  But man, I am not sure I am the right guy for the job.

I believe in you.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #899 on: 22 Sep 2008, 23:19 »

I believe in you.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 77   Go Up