THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's have a fashion advice thread.  (Read 935218 times)

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread.
« Reply #1350 on: 28 Oct 2008, 16:02 »

Elegant
  - pencil skirts
  - soft, v necked tops
  - anything anthropologie sells
  - thin/delicate necklaces
  - low heels (no flats)
  - t-strap heels
  - no ponytails
  - no sneakers

disagree on the no flats thing, but you seem to have the right idea.
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #1351 on: 28 Oct 2008, 16:15 »

Sam I really like the bag, and the overall profile you are presenting is basically tight as all hell,  but you should probably get a coat in a different color. The green doesn't really work for me. Otherwise, change skeevy to steezy and I totally agree with whatever that other fucker said.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1352 on: 28 Oct 2008, 17:49 »

Flats are awful. I have never seen a pair where I didn't think a heel or a more practical shoe would look 400 times better. I just really hate flats.

Have to agree with Katie about the Anthropologie thing, though their cardigan-type sweaters are pretty much always gorgeous.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #1353 on: 28 Oct 2008, 18:45 »

Flats are awful. I have never seen a pair where I didn't think a heel or a more practical shoe would look 400 times better. I just really hate flats.

awww  :-(
i love flats and think they can look just as good as if not better than heels. also they're much more comfortable.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #1354 on: 28 Oct 2008, 20:39 »

Flats are cute. They can look good! However, they are not elegant. When you think of elegance, think of, like, Audrey Hepburn or Queen Elizabeth from the 1950s and 60s or Jackey Kennedy or Grace Kelly. When you think of the fairy-tale characters you imagined when you were little, you probably think of some pretty elegant people that you created in your head.

Also if your heels are uncomfortable, you are wearing the wrong kind, or you don't have the leg strength and shouldn't be wearing them in the first place. (Not like I've said this before or anything.)
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #1355 on: 28 Oct 2008, 20:46 »

i have seen some elegant looking flats.
maybe i should find some examples and post them here.

also, i do own heels that i can walk in. i dunno if they're "right" for me per se, but i think they're decent.
i just prefer not to wear them most of the time.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #1356 on: 28 Oct 2008, 23:18 »

I didn't say anything about being able to walk in them. Of course, if you can't walk in them they are kind of superfluous as footwear anyway, but that is really beside the point. I mean uncomfortable. If your toes get tingly after about an hour, or if you were to go dancing in them and find that your feet hurt and you have to take them off part way through the night and dance barefoot, or you get home after wearing them all day and when you take them off your degree of relief is more than usual, then you are doing it wrong.

If anything else hurts (knees, hips, whatever) you shouldn't be wearing them at all ever, like my sister who has a wonky hip socket and really can't wear heels at all. Being comfortable in heels is a two-part dealy, because even if the shoe isn't too tight across your toes or too short in the vamp for your longest toe (which might be your second toe, which can create problems if you get the wrong style) and it isn't to tight down the shank and the back of the heel doesn't rub blisters onto your ankles, there is more to it. Sure, that stuff is nice because it means it won't give you corns and bunions and make your toes numb, but you have to have leg strength for it, too, and I don't just mean in your ankles. It affects your knees and your ankles directly, so your calf and ankle muscles need to be able to take the brunt of it, but your quads and hamstrings are also key players and if you don't have the muscular capacity for this, it is not a fashion thing anymore and it is nothing personal but when I say you shouldn't wear them I mean because at that point it can be dangerous.

Something else people don't think of is how it changes your posture. Have you ever gotten back pain a day or two after wearing your heels for a while? That is because wearing them changes the angle of your pelvis and basically pushes out your butt, unnaturally curving your lower spine. It is like you suddenly acquired scoliosis, except front-to-back instead of side-to-side. If you don't know how to compensate for that by tucking your butt muscles or at least properly stretching out your back or whatever, or you can't because you lack the strength in your glutes and your lower back, then you can suffer long-term effects like pelvic inflammation or chronic back pain, especially if it leads to a pinched nerve.

Heels are hot. They are sex on a stick. I really dislike flats and would pick heels over them any day. But you have to be physically able to wear them before you can even consider the implications on fashion and your style. This stuff probably never even occurs to most women, and since even though some of them shouldn't be wearing heels and they do it anyway, they are the ones who end up with shin splints that never heal and broken metatarsals with no idea how they did it. They are the ones who buy Tempurpedic mattresses at 40 to try and fix chronic back pain that they would never believe was caused by some thingies they put on their feet.

If you can wear heels, and if you can find a good style consistent with the shape of your foot, I think heels become a great alternative for anytime. Hell, I wear mine to class sometimes*. The only reason I don't wear them more is because they have buckles and things, which means I can't wake up 20 minutes before class and just slide my feet in and go.

*Campus is a little over a mile away from my house. This means that, why yes! I do walk a mile or three in heels on those days.
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2008, 23:21 by calenlass »
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1357 on: 29 Oct 2008, 04:32 »

I wish I could wear heels on days I have class:( But my campus is all hills, and I work/gym every day, so I'd have to bring 2 pairs of shoes with me.
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #1358 on: 29 Oct 2008, 07:04 »

Katie,

Could you please cut down on being a pretentious asshole about your opinions?
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #1359 on: 29 Oct 2008, 07:25 »

I wish I could wear heels on days I have class:( But my campus is all hills, and I work/gym every day, so I'd have to bring 2 pairs of shoes with me.

How is wearing two pairs of shoes a day a bad thing? I figure I change footwear between 2-5 times daily, depending on what I'm up to.

Oh yeah also I bought some new sneakers, pics soon.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1360 on: 29 Oct 2008, 08:43 »

Mostly because I don't live on campus, and I hate carrying around more weight in my bag than I need to.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #1361 on: 29 Oct 2008, 09:46 »

Katie,

Seriously
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1362 on: 29 Oct 2008, 11:18 »

I never would have thought shoes could cause such hostility.

Apparently they are SERIOUS BIZNES.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #1363 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:08 »

What exactly did Katie say that was so pretentious or inappropriate? All I've seen on this page from her is some damn good information about heels and your safety in them.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1364 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:16 »

I gots to agree with Eugene, what the hell was wrong with that post. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1365 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:21 »

I dunno, it was kinda over-information and worded pretty condescendingly.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #1366 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:29 »

i thought she was just trying to be helpful, actually.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #1367 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:33 »

What is over-information?
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1368 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:34 »

Going beyond what was asked in a show-offy manner.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1369 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:46 »

So? Katie knows heels. She is rather informative on heels, corsets, stage makeup/costuming, and other things.

I have heels and I can walk in heels, I just don't like wearing them often as I find them uncomfortable after a while. I like flats and prefer them, so I usually wear those if I want to look nicer.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1370 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:53 »

Guh, how did this become my nitpick not Alli's?

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1371 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:57 »

You took the bait. I try not to react to other people's posts if I do not agree with them as it usually devolves into an internet shouting match and I do not like those.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1372 on: 29 Oct 2008, 13:09 »

I personally wasn't saying it to you, but in general.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1373 on: 29 Oct 2008, 13:22 »

I misunderstood, I thought Katie was Calenlass, who many pages ago, then again several pages ago, and most recently this page, went a little over the top militant on her opinion.  I didnt want to be the dick who said anything.  Redglasscurls on the other hand has been very informative without being ostentatious about it.  My 0.02.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1374 on: 29 Oct 2008, 13:28 »

You were right, Katie is calenlass.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1375 on: 29 Oct 2008, 14:03 »

Whatever guys. This is going nowhere. She stated her opinion and then we stated opinions on the manner of how she said hers. Back to fashion.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1376 on: 29 Oct 2008, 14:14 »

Yes, less arguing and more, uh, fashioning?

This is what I wore today!

Forgive my facial expression, my gum was falling out of my mouth right before the picture was taken. Yarr.
Liz is touching me.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1377 on: 29 Oct 2008, 14:54 »

Looking good!

Man I still want flared jeans. I think I'm going to have to resort to buying girl's clothes again.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1378 on: 29 Oct 2008, 15:15 »

Vest! You wear it much better than I do:)

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1379 on: 29 Oct 2008, 15:26 »

Ok I have this Sand coloured, its a course knit in the front, silk in the back.  How can I rock this, I want very much to wear it.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1380 on: 29 Oct 2008, 15:28 »

You call that a vest? Wow. No wonder I was having trouble understanding stuff people were saying about vests. As far as I am concerned that's a waistcoat. Now it all makes sense!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #1381 on: 29 Oct 2008, 15:56 »

Katie,

The only part of my post that was an opinion was the last part about walking to campus. Forgive me for trying to save some ladies for suffering broken ankles and knee replacement surgery. If you are talking about my occasional posts regarding the safety of certain items of "fashion", I make those posts to help inform people. We all pretend to keep ourselves informed anyway, right? Why does it matter if it's me posting the information as opposed to snopes or the BBC?

Going beyond what was asked in a show-offy manner.

Actually, no one asked for that post at all. I also wasn't being "show-offy", I was browsing through medical encyclopedias and stating facts. If I was being "show-offy", I would've said something about how I can do backflips on a unicycle while juggling cannonballs in heels or whatever.

I misunderstood, I thought Katie was Calenlass, who many pages ago, then again several pages ago, and most recently this page, went a little over the top militant on her opinion.  I didnt want to be the dick who said anything.  Redglasscurls on the other hand has been very informative without being ostentatious about it.  My 0.02.

Out of curiosity, could you possibly PM me regarding what you are talking about? I don't want to start an internet argument or anything, but I am curious as to the discrepancy between what I am saying and what people are reading.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #1382 on: 29 Oct 2008, 18:34 »

I think it's a perception issue.  Whenever I read one of Katie's posts I feel like I am getting a lecture, and if I disagree then I am WRONG and also an IDIOT.  You have the benefit of having met her, others only have her online persona with which to frame the tone of her posts.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #1383 on: 29 Oct 2008, 19:50 »

tommy, stop being pretentious.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1384 on: 29 Oct 2008, 19:52 »

Or,

It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1385 on: 29 Oct 2008, 20:11 »

Dear Dovey,

I heart you.

Take care,
Emaline
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1386 on: 29 Oct 2008, 20:26 »

Yes please, sand coloured waistcoat

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1387 on: 29 Oct 2008, 20:30 »

Goddamn it Dovey. Every time you post I just have to say

Dovey,

(Also I wore a vest today and I have a sweater vest that I will maybe wear tomorrow)
Liz is touching me.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1388 on: 29 Oct 2008, 20:36 »

Man, this thread gotta make me wonder, why do people gotta be so offended by knowledge? Why does being wrong have to prick at thee so and a correction must be an affront to your pride? If your data is lacking, isn't it a good thing to have it corrected for future endeavors?

Knowledge is power, bitches, especially the knowledge you didn't know you didn't have that you now do.

Addendum: I need a bitchin' vest.

Like, a thousand sexy vests.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #1389 on: 29 Oct 2008, 20:44 »

Oh Dovey.  Why you always gotta be so hot?
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1390 on: 29 Oct 2008, 20:48 »

His tattoos add plus ten hotness. I never noticed them before!
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #1391 on: 29 Oct 2008, 20:50 »

He has lots!  We will make him take off his clothes and show them all to us in Sydney.

Well that's what I'LL be doing, don't know about the rest of you guys.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #1392 on: 29 Oct 2008, 20:51 »

Liz that vest is really, really good with the black shirt underneath. Wearing it with a shirt underneath that provides the same kind of contrast is really nice and probably better than say a white or off-white shirt with it.

Dovey, there are no words.

Dude guys I guess I am sorry for offending people unintentionally. I don't get why people get mad at stuff on the internet, so I don't ever really expect it? If it has gotten bad enough that some regular posters have decided this is worth getting up in arms over, then I guess it is time for me to vacate this thread for a while. Pics were going to be posted, but I guess I will wait.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #1393 on: 29 Oct 2008, 20:54 »

katie, i think the best way to get people to calm down is to POST MORE OUTFITS.  that's what i'd be doing if i had access to a camera right now.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1394 on: 29 Oct 2008, 20:55 »

Ah, the use of the word 'corrected' kills me in this context. This particular issue is completely subjective.

Absolutely people should broaden their horizons by taking on board what other people think but there is no right or wrong. Not on this issue.

Is it? I see a lot of facts in Katie's post, not a lot of opinion.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1395 on: 29 Oct 2008, 21:01 »

Liz that vest is really, really good with the black shirt underneath. Wearing it with a shirt underneath that provides the same kind of contrast is really nice and probably better than say a white or off-white shirt with it.

Thanks! I like that the t-shirt is simple and adds a kind of masculine touch to the outfit, but the wide-legged pants and heels keep it from looking too man-ish.

I am also going to be wearing this vest as part of my pirate costume for Halloween with a ruffly white blouse underneath. Hurrah!
Liz is touching me.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1396 on: 29 Oct 2008, 21:06 »

I think people should be willing to accept that a person might have more genuine knowledge on a subject and not get all pissy when that knowledge is laid down on them.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1397 on: 29 Oct 2008, 21:09 »

Woo internet argument woooooo.

I found a picture of me in a suit doing some hardcore reclining. I do not know what is up with the expression on my face.

Also, here is a close-up of my fish, which I think has maybe been in here before...?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1398 on: 29 Oct 2008, 21:12 »

Yeah, I was fairly confused as to what you thought I was saying but I know I'm right dammit so I'm going to argue with you anyway.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1399 on: 29 Oct 2008, 21:16 »

Hey guys! SHUT UP! Can we please talk about fashion again, and drop the internet argument/disagreement? Or take it to pms? I read this thread for fashion, not dramaz.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 77   Go Up