THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's have a fashion advice thread.  (Read 935209 times)

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread.
« Reply #3700 on: 10 Apr 2009, 11:11 »

what I mean by hoodie is this:

zip up hoodie? I dunno, they're usually both warm and comfy, and (in my opinion) aren't style breakers.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

A Shoggoth on the Roof

• Furry furrier
« Reply #3701 on: 10 Apr 2009, 11:31 »

alternatively, you could get one of those zip-up jacket-type things with the collar like this
there is nothing wrong with a nice-fitting hoodie though.

I dunno, it depends on which would look better on you.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #3702 on: 10 Apr 2009, 11:53 »

The collar in that link is popped.

Honestly people, it's not hard to figure out when your collar should be up or not. Are you wearing a ski/snowmobile jacket and need the warmth? Are you a Sherpa or crossing the antarctic? Are you Chairman Kaga? If you cannot answer yes to any of these questions and your collar is still popped, then you are a tool.

I don't actually care about any of that, I just like linking the Chairman.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2009, 12:45 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #3703 on: 10 Apr 2009, 12:35 »

Ahhh. Zip-up Hoodies are completely different. I think of them more as light jackets with hoods.

Those are a plus.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3704 on: 10 Apr 2009, 16:22 »

I wear my zip ups mostly as jackets, but most jackets can't be work as sweaters, so it's win win with a zip up hoodie!

I just got paid and I really want to buy some sundresses this weekend. Hopefully I will find some good ones that I can both wear to work and out and about.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3705 on: 10 Apr 2009, 21:28 »

Yay Linz! I do hope you'll take pictures. I just bought one the other day, and my criteria was pretty simple since I didn't even really care. Every other dress other than the one I got and this other one showed like all of my bra BUT the other one I couldn't zip up by myself. I need to get it tailored though, since the shoulders are a little baggy but it's pink and cream and brown and has little ribbons in the fabric.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3706 on: 11 Apr 2009, 05:20 »

Well I went to H&M and bought some things. I tried to get photos from their website but it is a big steaming pile of Flash and had nothing of merit on it anywhere at all. Then I took some photos to upload myself but someone has hacked into my photobucket account and I can't log in :(

Today is not my day for photos it seems.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #3707 on: 11 Apr 2009, 06:24 »

Yeah, H&M's site is nothing short of completely fucking useless.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3708 on: 11 Apr 2009, 11:20 »

So uh, I went to one store last night because I was bored and all they had were either shapeless things I can't wear or jersey. (I don't want any more jersey dresses.) I don't understand this fad with shapeless sacks in bright colors. I have boobs and ass, people. Sacks don't do anything good for either of those.

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #3709 on: 11 Apr 2009, 12:12 »

Are slim fit grey jeans ever ok?

I got these in Quebec about a year ago. Although they are super comfortable I've only worn them on certain ocassions because I've felt that they don't match anything.

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #3710 on: 11 Apr 2009, 12:46 »

I'm not sure what you mean by sag?

Dollface

• Bling blang blong blung
  • And i thought there would be breasts.
« Reply #3711 on: 11 Apr 2009, 12:48 »

Differed stages of (pant) sag

Barfy: he needs to get on the sucking of some dick

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #3712 on: 11 Apr 2009, 12:50 »

I just don't like to wear the pants up past my stomach, plus my boxers are a little raised.

I'm not ask for etiquette advice, I'm asking about the jeans themselves.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3713 on: 11 Apr 2009, 12:58 »

Grey goes with everything.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #3714 on: 11 Apr 2009, 13:36 »

I just don't like to wear the pants up past my stomach, plus my boxers are a little raised.

I'm not ask for etiquette advice, I'm asking about the jeans themselves.

It is a fashion advice thread, you asked about your jeans, and they do not look good like that.

Nothing to do with etiquette, everything to do with steez.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #3715 on: 11 Apr 2009, 15:12 »

Are slim fit grey jeans ever ok?

uh yeah of course.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #3716 on: 12 Apr 2009, 04:05 »

Is that grey though? Cause if it is I'm giving up on colors.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3717 on: 12 Apr 2009, 07:21 »

Ok, I went looking around at stores yesterday for dresses and I found 3 in the first one that fit nicely. I forgot my camera, so I took these with my phone, so they are way off color-wise, but you can see the cuts and that's what's important. (I also didn't buy them, I'm going back Monday to see if there's a sale because of the holiday or not.)

I am not too sure about the 1st one, but I do like the second two. It's a great cut, but it shows a bit of cleavage and I'm not sure if I should get that one for work, but they had one similar in a dark aqua that came up a bit higher. So, should I stay with solid colors? Is a pattern ok? Which waist height looks the best? Are all three terrible and should I stick to pants for ever and ever? Thoughts!

But I did get something out of my trip, which were flats that are similar to these, but suede-ish and comfortable as hell.
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2009, 09:41 by Linds »

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #3718 on: 12 Apr 2009, 08:29 »

i really love the first one the best! number 3 is nice too but 2 seems to be a pretty boring and unflattering colour and also excessively ruffly. 1 is also probably the most versatile regarding what kind of shoes + accessories you could wear with it.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #3719 on: 12 Apr 2009, 08:31 »

Linds the first one is fantastic! Get it get it get it!
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #3720 on: 12 Apr 2009, 08:38 »

I definitely agree with what's said before me. Number 1 is amazing, and I also really like #3, but I'm a skeptic about #2.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3721 on: 12 Apr 2009, 08:55 »

I like the first and third the best too, though the third really really needs accessories to make it interesting. I think the length of the second cuts off your legs at a strange point, and the sleeves would be cuter with just a flat strap instead of the little mini sleeve
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3722 on: 12 Apr 2009, 09:44 »

Thanks guys! And yeah, now that I think about it, #2 does have a lot of ruffles. I'm going back Monday to buy some, so I think I'll go with the first one and one of the ones I didn't take a picture of. (I grabbed the wrong size and was too lazy to go back and hunt for the right size, as I was just checking stuff out.)

Krina

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #3723 on: 13 Apr 2009, 09:54 »

I think #1 looks gerat on you, Linds! Did you just want to buy a nice dress (I looove summer dresses!), or were you buying something for a special occasion?

So I have been wondering a bit about fashion lately... When did it happen that certain labels of clothing are always connotated with a certain peer group and that when you buy and wear certain clothes, you automatically make a statement about what social sphere you are from or pretend to be from, about your income and whatever social group you see yourself in? I asked my Mum, she is in her late fifties, and she told me that when she was my age (i.e. in her early twenties), there was already the same thing going on. There were "cool" labels and "uncool" ones. can any of the older and wiser forumites enlighten me on this? Was there ever a time when a shirt was just a shirt, no matter who made it?

Also, how do you people play the fashion game? I don't like it when there are really big and ostentatious labels on my clothes, I mean I'm not an advertisement board. Does anyone see what would be fun about that? I just spend a day shopping in an affluent North Italian city, and I picked items because I liked how they looked on me, but I really have now idea at all what sort of statement I'm making with them. I usually am really lazy about fashion - I buy things that I like and that I find stylish and that I expect to have a long lifespan every once in a while and then wear them pretty much every day, except for when I wash them. I always wished I could go to school in a country where they had school uniforms. So, question: Are uniforms really, I don't know, "anonymous"? Is a white shirt just a white shirt in a school uniform or does it matter again, in the social hierarchy and the "cool game" that a lot of people play, what label you are wearing? And how do you integrate labels into your personal style?

I am also wondering about the prices of things. I don't think that 500 Pounds for a handbag by say, Prada, is a realistic price judged on what the company spends on the costs of production and material. You obviously pay for buying an item with a certain name on it. Where I go to Uni (in the UK), all the students go shopping at Primark all the time. You can buy a complete outfit for 5 Pounds or less there. That obviously isn't a realistic price either. I don't think that if a T-Shirt costs 1 Pound or less the people at the bottom of the chain who do the sewing etc. can be paid a fair wage. If people are nice enough to sew clothes for me, I want them to be paid decently! (I also don't buy things in that sort of shop because I saw a TV documentary about how people who work in these places get really ill from all the chemicals in the clothes.) So what option does that leave me with, other than making all my clothes myself? Where can you even shop anymore these days and not feel terribly guilty about the working conditions? All the places I know that sell clothes which are produced ecologically and politically correct are reallyreally expensive and/or the clothes look like sacks.

I'm really interested in what people have to say on that. Sorry for the essay, I'll stop procrastinating now and get things done!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3724 on: 13 Apr 2009, 10:13 »

I'm buying some just because I like summer dresses.

I don't really get the brand name thing other than when it comes to brands I've been happy with and are generally reliable. (This almost always only replies to pants and shoes.) But I do have a "D&G" purse, which I bought because 1. I needed a purse and 2. it's aqua and kind of cute. People ask all the time if it's real, to which I say, "Hell no!" and then get asked why I got it. "Because I needed a purse?" I mean, it's a bag that holds things. Also useful for keeping rocks in. I mean, it's a bag, who cares.

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #3725 on: 13 Apr 2009, 10:17 »

When did it happen that certain labels of clothing are always connotated with a certain peer group and that when you buy and wear certain clothes, you automatically make a statement about what social sphere you are from or pretend to be from, about your income and whatever social group you see yourself in?

Think about it anthropologically. Clothing has probably been used as a signifier of meaning from the time we evolved to capacity to recognize that kind of thing. In other words, we probably started using clothes to indicate our belonging to social groups once those groups started existing.

The other two questions are worthwhile too. I think you may eventually want to step back even further and look at the effects of capitalism in general. Maybe I will link things for you later!

Krina

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #3726 on: 13 Apr 2009, 12:09 »

Think about it anthropologically. Clothing has probably been used as a signifier of meaning from the time we evolved to capacity to recognize that kind of thing. In other words, we probably started using clothes to indicate our belonging to social groups once those groups started existing.

Yeah, I realize that part. Like, if you look at tribal societies, then there are different items of clothing and accessories for the different sexes, different age groups, married and unmarried people and so on. Also different outfits for different positions in the pecking line. Some of that even exists in nature i.e. with animals, I believe - like a boy-deer has antlers and a girl-deer doesn't have them or has smaller ones. (I'm not that good with animal names, sorry.) And since boy-deers fight, the one who is the best at fighting and survives and who grows to be the oldest one has the biggest antlers.

I'll try and explain what I meant: When I was little, a T-Shirt was only ever a T-Shirt for me. Maybe I liked one better than the other because it was red and not blue or because it had a picture of a doggy on it or whatever. But that was it. Now I believe in the theory that the development one single human being goes through is at least in parts equivalent to the evolution of mankind.

(I'm not so sure about the biological parts because I'm not a biologist, but what I've heard is that until a certain stage, you cannot tell a human foetus from a monkey foetus. Similarly, a baby human and a baby monkey have about the same skills (roughly speaking). But this also extends to the intellectual realm - like arts: A younger child draws similar to these drawings in the cave, while an older child discovers perspective, like artists discovered the principle of perspective later on. The same applies to oral tradition or literature and lots of other things.)

So I believe it happens not only for the single individual but also for society as a whole that a shirt is not just a shirt anymore. I believe that in a tribal society, all clothes are made with the same diligence and from the same materials. I could be wrong, but that's the premise I'm assuming. This is obviously not the case anymore. I'm assuming it happened rather early that different materials were used for different receivers, like silk for richer people and cotton for the poorer ones or whatever. Is that the beginning of what is happening today? However, I believe that today we're more able to choose between different labels and belonging to different social groups. What I don't know is when it seems that societies become more democratic and people become "more equal" in terms of possibilities, at least in the Western world, why different social groups are that big a deal anymore.

Anyhoo, these days a shirt is not just a shirt anymore. It suddenly matters if you bought it at H&M or at, I don't know, Prada. Why does this matter? Is it all about showing how much money you are able and willing to spend on a shirt? More expensive is maybe seen as "better" by the mainstream, but there are also subversive movements whose members dress really cheap to make a point. And I'm wondering when people lost that "innocence" (can't think of a better word). Was a chieftain of a group Neanderthals really considered to be "better" than his tribe-mates? I have the impression that in today's society wealth seems to be associated with superiority. If I remember my history class right, wasn't that the idea of the Calvinists that God rewards those who are hard-working? And being favoured by God is obviously a sign of superiority.

So is it all rooted in capitalism? Also, what exactly do you mean by that term and when would you say it started, ruyi?

(Sorry, I don't know if I'm making much sense anymore.)

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #3727 on: 13 Apr 2009, 12:27 »

Even in tribal societies, chieftains probably tended to have nicer clothes and it is a certain thing that certain types of dyes and cloth indicated high standings millennia before capitalism as a defined philosophy was even dreamt of. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrian_purple
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #3728 on: 13 Apr 2009, 12:44 »

Yeah, capitalism is a poor thing to bring up considering that caste and class has been a major part of human society since at least the beginning of recorded history. Capitalism and the wide availability of commodities has just made our dress codes a pinch more subtle since materials matter a bit less these days than branding. We've done nothing more than exchange funny hats made from hard to acquire animals for Dolce and Gabanna.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2009, 12:56 by Alex C »

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #3729 on: 13 Apr 2009, 13:00 »

Er, I brought up capitalism re: her second two questions, which were about branding and prices.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #3730 on: 13 Apr 2009, 13:06 »

I both worded that badly and didn't read your post. I meant that in response to Krina's rooted-in-capitalism question.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #3731 on: 13 Apr 2009, 16:02 »

What do you guys think of this shirt?

I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #3732 on: 13 Apr 2009, 16:05 »

As a shirt or as a table cloth?

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #3733 on: 13 Apr 2009, 16:07 »

It reminds me of pizza.  I like it.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #3734 on: 13 Apr 2009, 16:10 »

Yeah the general consensus was "picnic blanket" though I'd like to think of it more as a "French bistro tablecloth"

Fuck it's such a great shirt though.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #3735 on: 13 Apr 2009, 16:16 »

had you not specifically asked "what do you think of this shirt" i probably wouldn't have noticed anything peculiar about either of those photos. i could see it maybe being funny looking on someone else, but it works on you.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #3736 on: 13 Apr 2009, 16:32 »

Yeah, the top one or two buttons unbuttoned like in the first photo make it look pretty good.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Josefbugman

• Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #3737 on: 13 Apr 2009, 16:37 »

Aghhhhhhh! The tablecloth/t-shirt dichtiotomy spreads.

My friend has one of those as well, and he looks like the skinniset lumberjack in history, but I don't think it looks half bad on you dude.

Also Miss Linds, get the first dress if you are looking for a boyfriend, because its kind of sweet and awesome combined, like a picnic where you bring a lot of alcohol.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3738 on: 13 Apr 2009, 17:36 »

I have to wait for dress #1 to go on sale, because it's more pricey than I realized! (I failed to look at tags when I went.) But since I did go back, I tried on many a dress and got a kick out of this one:

It too was too expensive to get and paired with the shoes I got in Boston, I think I'd make people go blind.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3739 on: 13 Apr 2009, 18:07 »

That is good.

I like that.

Spend money.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #3740 on: 13 Apr 2009, 18:09 »

There's just something I don't like about it.

Metope

« Reply #3741 on: 13 Apr 2009, 18:14 »

Yay constructive criticism!

Also Linds, you're talking about those black and white shoes you posted a while ago? Yeah, those with that dress would be so amazing.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #3742 on: 13 Apr 2009, 18:15 »

I can't tell what it is. Maybe I'm not a fan of how the classic black and white combination looks.

Like I'd never wear something blatantly white with a black pair of jeans. I'm not even sure if I own a pair of those, but you get the idea. Don't listen to me.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2009, 18:18 by Avec »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3743 on: 13 Apr 2009, 18:17 »

I am serious, I love your silhouette in that thing.

It is so foxy.

Wear more like it.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3744 on: 13 Apr 2009, 18:24 »

Avec, embrace the black and white. Seriously.

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #3745 on: 13 Apr 2009, 18:32 »

I'm going to post a picture of me wearing black and white. It's going to be a fucking massacre.

St.Germain

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #3746 on: 13 Apr 2009, 20:39 »

So it was warm enough to wear shorts this past week:

I know, I know, people should not wear shorts, especially me. But boy, do I love my shorts. They are so damn comfy. If anyone wants further horror, I can get one eventually of the whole "look".

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #3747 on: 13 Apr 2009, 20:44 »

Man people should wear shorts all they want, shorts are awesome
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Yunior

• Furry furrier
« Reply #3748 on: 13 Apr 2009, 22:06 »

People should always wear shorts, shorts are so great

It is the things on your feet that deign to call themselves sandals that should never see the light of day.
[02:00] Dollface: clara you are awesome
[02:00] clara: oh thanks dollface
[02:00] Dollface: whos awesome you are clara

St.Germain

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #3749 on: 14 Apr 2009, 00:14 »

Uh, ok. I'll keep that in mind, should I venture into the light of day.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77   Go Up