THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 05:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I can't believe it.  (Read 10111 times)

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
I can't believe it.
« on: 05 Aug 2008, 19:53 »

Paris Hilton actually says something semi-intelligent?

Obviously someone else wrote the ad, and all of her lines, and she grossly oversimplifies the issue. And she's still a classless harlot. However, she actually makes more sense than some of the people I've heard commentating on this in the last week or so. And that kind of makes my brain hurt.

« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2008, 20:03 by RedLion »
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
Re: I can't believe it.
« Reply #1 on: 06 Aug 2008, 02:53 »

PARIZ HELTAN IZ DUM LOL
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
Re: I can't believe it. pr
« Reply #2 on: 06 Aug 2008, 03:12 »

Either Paris Hilton is a lot smarter than we've been giving her credit for, or she has a fantastic writer, but either way this is fucking hilarious and a class act.

Good job, Ms Hilton.

P.S. I am pretty sure the fact that the issue is grossly oversimplified is part of the joke. Unless I'm projecting my bullshit meta hipster irony onto this, but come on, it is way too *wink wink* and on the nose for that to be the case.
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2008, 03:17 by Hat »
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

monkeybiz

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3 on: 06 Aug 2008, 07:34 »

It was totally scripted, but awesome nonetheless. My opinion of Paris Hilton went from "Stupid Spoiled Whore" to "Stupid Spoiled Whore with a sense of humor who may be smarter than we give her credit for."

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #4 on: 06 Aug 2008, 08:37 »

I thought this thread was a Richard Wilson based mis-quotes thread.

I'm sorely disappointed.

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #5 on: 06 Aug 2008, 10:11 »

Even if that thingy was nothing but scripted comedy, I have to say that I´m genuinely pleased to see miss Hilton either cares about politics, or has an incredible sense of self-irony, unlike oh-so many of the celebrities.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #6 on: 06 Aug 2008, 10:26 »

I've never really understood all the Paris Hilton hate, just like I've never really understood all the Paris Hilton love.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #7 on: 06 Aug 2008, 10:42 »

The same applies to me. I mean, there are far more intelligent and likable people in the world than her, but she is far from worst.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #8 on: 06 Aug 2008, 11:34 »

Guys, I am sorry

I really cannot seem to work up the effort to have an opinion on Paris Hilton

I am kind of more concerned with genocide

(Seriously, though. The amount of energy required for the kind of loathing that some of these posts show is downright ridiculous. Not to mention that we're definitely getting close to the MISOGYNY ALERT)
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #9 on: 06 Aug 2008, 11:48 »

mi·sog·y·ny   [mi-soj-uh-nee]
–noun
hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women.

i think it's pretty safe to say that people dislike Paris Hilton because of her social status and unearned wealth, NOT because she is a woman. she just happens to be a woman who is hated, not a person who's hated for being a woman.

gimme a break.

Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Jinjo

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #10 on: 06 Aug 2008, 11:53 »

I'll see you at the debate bitches.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #11 on: 06 Aug 2008, 11:57 »

Who's Paris Hilton?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #12 on: 06 Aug 2008, 12:22 »

hating someone who happens to be a woman does not equal misogyny. that's all i'm saying.

so no, i don't think there is very much potential for misogyny here and i don't think we are approaching the "misogyny alert" because no one has even implied that her flaw is that she's a woman. they have, however, outright stated that it's because she's dumb, spoiled, and rich. so there ya go.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #13 on: 06 Aug 2008, 12:48 »

Yeah, seriously.  The Gentlemans' Club thread has shown more potential for outright misogyny than this thread.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #14 on: 06 Aug 2008, 13:13 »

The temptation is strong to post a very offensive response, but I resist.

mooface

« Reply #15 on: 06 Aug 2008, 14:07 »

that paris hilton is a bitch a whore and a slut.  and ummm she is obviously is of inferior intelligence because she has a vagina.

jk jk, couldn't help myself.  i don't particularly like paris because i don't like rich people who spend their money on stupid crap and don't seem to give a shit about anyone other than themselves.  also, that whole publicity stunt when she went to africa and hung out with orphans pissed me off.  but whatever, i figure she can't really help that she was probably raised by parents who spoiled her to death and didn't teach her basic decency.  there's plent of people like that in the world; they're just not all super-rich & famous the way she is.

ugh, this is totally going to turn into a thread about "omg i hate/kind of hate/don't care about" paris hilton, how dull.  and i just contributed to it, i suck.

anyways, i saw the video yesterday and it made me laugh.  i think the only reason people don't want to like it is because they automatically think "ew, paris hilton!  she can't be likeable; does not compute!", which is totally understandable.  but get over it, it was a pretty damn good response, and even if she didn't come up with it she still went along with it (which says something about her character/sense of humor) - and it was pretty funny!  it's a welcome surprise.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #16 on: 06 Aug 2008, 14:27 »

I have to agree with Tommy here. In every other forum I read where there's been a thread on this it's turned into a pissing content of who can hate Paris Hilton the most. It's like people are afraid of looking like they don't think she's completely worthless and the more personal insults on her character they can throw in the better. Really it irks me.

i think the only reason people don't want to like it is because they automatically think "ew, paris hilton!  she can't be likeable; does not compute!"
Honestly I think it's more "ew Paris Hilton, I can't look like I like her, what will people think of me".
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2008, 14:29 by McTaggart »
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #17 on: 06 Aug 2008, 14:47 »

I don't buy that argument because I personally don't comprehend the aesthetic ideals that interpret her as very attractive. She's not an ugly person by any means, but she's not particularly beautiful either. I find her more attractive in her high school photos with her old nose.

Edit: Oh, yeah, I misread that statement. Nevermind.

Fun fact: the tiny New Mexican town I live in is where Conrad Hilton, Paris's great-grandfather and founded of the hotel chain, grew up, went to college and started his first business. My friend lives across the street from his old house, which is itself a major party house these days.
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2008, 15:06 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

mooface

« Reply #18 on: 06 Aug 2008, 14:57 »

I don't buy that argument because I personally don't comprehend the aesthetic ideals that interpret her as very attractive. She's not an ugly person by any means, but she's not particularly beautiful either. I find her more attractive in her high school photos with her old nose.

i think you misread what he said the same way i did at first.  it's not "i can't look like her, what will people think of me", it's i can't look like i like her, what will people think of me".  at least, i think that's what you were responding to, because i totally misread that and got really confused for a second.  i was like "man, i have never worried about that. i am so much hotter than paris hilton! >:(" (yes, i have a massive ego.  shut up)

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #19 on: 06 Aug 2008, 15:01 »

(yes, i have a massive ego.  shut up)

Who's complaining?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #20 on: 06 Aug 2008, 16:10 »

that's not an ego, that's just being honest with yourself.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #21 on: 06 Aug 2008, 16:18 »

I tried real hard to care............

....nope, didn't happen.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #22 on: 06 Aug 2008, 16:22 »

I am really interested as to how this thread could turn into misogyny.

Someone give me a vague causal chain of how it would work is what I'm asking.

I think you are just being way too sensitive on the behalf of someone who doesn't give a shit about what we think, is all I am saying here Tommy

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #23 on: 06 Aug 2008, 19:26 »

I enjoyed this clip, it was pretty cool.  In a single clip she's shown that she has a really decent sense of humour about herself at least.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #24 on: 06 Aug 2008, 20:17 »

For some reason, it's taken the mainstream media about 3 days to pick up on this video; it was covered by Larry King and Anderson Cooper tonight. Their angle? Her jokes about McCain's age could be a "boost" to him. They're basically treating it like it's a legitimate political ad to be dissected and debated. Ugh.

By the way:

Misogyny? Really? I don't think there is any attack on or negativity towards women in general in this thread. If the fact that some people called her a variant of the word "whore," yeah, that's a female-specific slight--in the way that "dick" is used to negatively refer to only men. Are you really saying that if the thread involved someone like, say Bill O'Reilly, and someone called him a dick, that it would be in danger of drifting into male-hating?

- Napoleon

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #25 on: 06 Aug 2008, 21:51 »

Paris Hilton: total vagina.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Jinjo

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #26 on: 06 Aug 2008, 22:00 »

Paris Hilton is a dick!

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #27 on: 06 Aug 2008, 22:01 »

I'd call McCain a "pussy" here but dude was a P.O.W., that takes some cajones.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #28 on: 06 Aug 2008, 22:42 »

I agree with Tommy.

Also, somehow I find being called a total vagina less insulting than being called a whore. Being called a whore is degrading.

I mean, why do we call Paris a whore? Has she ever been paid for sex? Is it because she made a sex tape? Is it because everyone has seen her crotch? Men flash all the time, and we call the exhibitionists(Perry Ferrel, Iggy Pop, fucking Kevin Barnes, are some examples that come to mind.). No one calls these men whores. Male celebrities make sex tapes, too. Kelsey Grammar has one, so do Bret Michaels, and Fred Durst. Why do we not call them whores as well?

Whore is woman specific. What is the male version? Pimp?
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #29 on: 06 Aug 2008, 22:48 »

I believe the operative phrase is "man-slut."
 - Napoleon

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #30 on: 06 Aug 2008, 23:10 »

One of the best things about this forum historically is when people have the opportunity to be vulgar or offensive and then chose not to be out of decency.

Why are you telling us we should tread carefully, therefore robbing us of the chance to do this of our own free will? Also, varying standards of human decency abound! You are not the sole arbiter of decency in the entire world, or even on this forum (run by a dude who gets drunk and changes forum titles to cuss words on a whim, incidently)

Emaline, you are making a mighty big assumption that people don't call those people you listed whores. I for one would call Kevin Barnes a whore at the drop of a hat. Looking for gender bias when there is none there because it fits whatever social hypothesis you have is pretty ridiculous. Also bear in mind the word whore has multiple meanings! The term "media" has been dropped entirely from the term "media whore", people whore themselves for tips, and the term has become a general catch all insult in much the same way shithead does not actually reflect any real opinion on the state of fecal matter on somebodies head.

Write this down people, words do not always express the intent of the original literal definition, and this lexical flexibility is one of the hall marks of a healthy spoken language!

P.S. I don't call Paris Hilton a whore personally but that is mostly because it is obvious from her utterly rubbish dick sucking technique that she has not had enough practice to qualify.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #31 on: 07 Aug 2008, 07:35 »

Does this mean that she has purposefully been acting dumb for the last couple of years?

Is she mocking the rich spoiled girl image?

Maybe it's all a grand scheme! She's really the greatest comedian of our day and age!
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #32 on: 07 Aug 2008, 08:25 »

i thought the clip was pretty funny.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #33 on: 07 Aug 2008, 08:29 »

oh shit that was paris hilton in it wasn't it.
fuck. nevermind. she's not funny. i hate her.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #34 on: 07 Aug 2008, 08:46 »

Haha "Paris Hilton" are only the first words in the thread.
Hate, rain on me

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #35 on: 07 Aug 2008, 08:51 »

Or she can read an autocue, huh?  :wink:

To be fair, our current president can't read an autocue and one of our leading candidates has been quoted in reference to the Iraq/Pakistan border and modern tensions between Russia and a country that hasn't existed for about a decade and a half, so I'm reserving the right to be at least borderline impressed.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Cam

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #36 on: 07 Aug 2008, 08:51 »

The reason I dislike Paris Hilton actually has nothing to do with Paris Hilton.  I simply got tired of the media reporting every time Paris took a dump for what seemed like twenty minutes out of every hour when I wanted to watch the news for about a year.  I dislike Paris Hilton the news story. I could really care less about Paris Hilton the person.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #37 on: 07 Aug 2008, 11:03 »

You have to see past the layers of intrigue and deception!
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

CardinalFang

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #38 on: 07 Aug 2008, 11:08 »

FWIW, according to CNN she did it from memory and it only took about 4 takes.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2008/08/06/moos.paris.for.president.cnn
(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

waterloosunset

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #39 on: 07 Aug 2008, 13:05 »

Apparently she's appearing in Chicago as Roxie soon

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #40 on: 07 Aug 2008, 13:20 »

Apparently she's appearing in Chicago as Roxie soon

Oh dear God.

The End must be nigh.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #41 on: 07 Aug 2008, 13:38 »

Does this mean that she has purposefully been acting dumb for the last couple of years?

Is she mocking the rich spoiled girl image?

Maybe it's all a grand scheme! She's really the greatest comedian of our day and age!

The truth is, she's probably not nearly as dumb as she acts. I think she's very aware that her fame comes from being a spoiled bimbo. It's in her interest to make herself appear to match that stereotype as much as possible. Not to say that she isn't a little dumb, but she probably acts a little dumber then she is.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

chASS

« Reply #42 on: 07 Aug 2008, 16:03 »

i had pretty much the same reaction when i saw that video.
glad someone on the internets agrees.

mooface

« Reply #43 on: 07 Aug 2008, 21:59 »

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2008/08/06/moos.paris.for.president.cnn

not that it really matters, but apparently that's not true

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #44 on: 08 Aug 2008, 04:03 »

Monty the Monster of Montauk is getting sad since none of you are paying him any attention. Dead [probably a dog]s have feelings too.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

CardinalFang

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #45 on: 08 Aug 2008, 05:08 »

not that it really matters, but apparently that's not true

Since the CNN reporter didn't say where she got the information I was a tad skeptical. Of course since the information that she didn't memorize it comes from some unnamed "Hilton source" I'm also skeptical about that.
(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #46 on: 08 Aug 2008, 05:51 »

The truth is, she's probably not nearly as dumb as she acts.

pretty much. it's difficult to achieve the level of success she has without knowing what you're doing to at least some degree.
also, it takes a whole lot more effort to hate someone than it does to simply be indifferent to them. just saying.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #47 on: 08 Aug 2008, 06:44 »

So the thread about Paris Hilton has more talk going on than one about an activist for Darfur. Wonderful priorities.

(PS: This shit is why she continues to be famous)
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Hairy Joe Bob

• FIGHT YOU
  • shame machine
    • Pete Strong - Writer & Artist
« Reply #48 on: 08 Aug 2008, 08:40 »

That and her lazy eye. that eye just makes me want to talk about her all day long. And her amazing singing voice. She's so musical. And she makes lovely perfume. Handcrafted you know, from kittens and roses and the scent of natural women. Oh Paris...oh Paris, oh Paris...
What thou lovest well remains,
the rest is dross.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #49 on: 08 Aug 2008, 08:41 »

it takes a whole lot more effort to hate someone than it does to simply be indifferent to them. just saying.

I used to hate you, but now I am indifferent to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up