THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 04:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Overrated Bands  (Read 290257 times)

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
Re: Overrated Bands
« Reply #250 on: 07 Feb 2009, 12:27 »

As I said: musical talent is a prerequisite for me to consider a band "good."  It is NOT all that is important, but it IS important.

Premise: For, me a band must be instrumentally skilled to be good.
Second Premise: The Ramones were not instrumentally skilled.
Conclusion: I do not consider the Ramones a good band.

Premise: A band does not need to be unbelievably good at their instruments for me to consider them good, just better than decent.
Second Premise: The Black Keys are not unbelievable musicians, but they are above average and write good, bluesy music.
Conclusion: Despite their not being the best musicians, I like the Black Keys.

And, to be honest, I don't listen very much to Fugazi or Husker Du and I don't really have any interest in giving them a long look at the moment. 
Keep a coolin' baby.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #251 on: 07 Feb 2009, 12:42 »

1. Why?
2. How do you define 'skill'?
3. Where is the line at which someone is or isn't skilled? Noel Gallagher is considered by many people to be a terrible musician, but the guy can play five or six instruments, sing vocal harmonies, and has sold millions of records, without any music lessons. Is he not musically skilled? I think he is, if not in the traditional sense, necessarily.

P.S. The Sex Pistols aren't actually that bad musically. Well, I say the Pistols, I mean Steve Jones.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
« Reply #252 on: 07 Feb 2009, 12:45 »

Music happens to be largely an aesthetic discipline. Skill far less relevant than sounding good. though, for the record, it can be an enjoyable thing on its own. Also, whether or not the Ramones could play well or not is not relevant at all, since they actively chose to continue to play in the manner that they did.

Now, to be perfectly honest, it is completely acceptable to consider the physical skill of a musician as an important aspect in your own music taste. I personally section the way i judge music into three categories, each of which will vary in importance from person to person: aesthetics(does it sound good, interesting, or cool?), ethos(do they have artistic integrity? do I agree with their ideological stance, if they appear to have one?), and athletics(can they play lots of notes, in tune, in time?). This is also the order of importance with which i hold them. Perhaps you have a different order of importance. That's okay. What is not okay is to confuse not not being interested in a band and thinking they are not good. those are two entirely different things.

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #253 on: 07 Feb 2009, 13:23 »

1. Why?
2. How do you define 'skill'?
3. Where is the line at which someone is or isn't skilled? Noel Gallagher is considered by many people to be a terrible musician, but the guy can play five or six instruments, sing vocal harmonies, and has sold millions of records, without any music lessons. Is he not musically skilled? I think he is, if not in the traditional sense, necessarily.

P.S. The Sex Pistols aren't actually that bad musically. Well, I say the Pistols, I mean Steve Jones.

1.  Because I place value on someone being good at what they do.  If you are a guitarist, I am interested in you being a good guitarist.  It's like sports: the best players on a team are usually the most popular.  I want bands to be good at what they do.
2.  I define skill as technical proficiency at an instrument.  This is easiest for me to define in terms of drums, because that is what I play.  If a drummer is capable of maintaining rhythm in a variety of time signatures and at a variety of speeds while playing complex material, especially syncopation, and has technically difficult fills, I am inclined to like that drummer.  However, as I said, this is not the ONLY factor I consider, but it is the first.  Of course, I'm not wholly consistent, and sometimes I allow one musician's skill to make up for the failures of the others (a la The Doors: John Densmore is a technically skilled drummer, the other guitar and organ are not at the same level).
3.  While I appreciate multi-talentedness, I am more concerned with proficiency at one instrument.  For instance, a friend and I argued the merits of Eric Clapton vs. Jimmy Page.  My friend argued that Clapton should be considered better for, among other reasons, the fact that he often sang while playing.  I disagree.  I think skill or talent should be judged primarily within one field or at one instrument/position in the band (i.e., no bonus points for singing guitarists).

Also, I don't know if you can say the Sex Pistols were not bad musically when they featured Sid "I Have No Idea What I'm Doing, So I Will Pluck Some Strings Very Fast" Vicious.
Keep a coolin' baby.

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #254 on: 07 Feb 2009, 13:27 »

The Doors are considered by some to be incredibly overrated.

The Smiths are not overrated, neither are the Ramones, I can't believe that nobody called you out on the Smiths comment.

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #255 on: 07 Feb 2009, 13:32 »

Music happens to be largely an aesthetic discipline. Skill far less relevant than sounding good. though, for the record, it can be an enjoyable thing on its own. Also, whether or not the Ramones could play well or not is not relevant at all, since they actively chose to continue to play in the manner that they did.

Now, to be perfectly honest, it is completely acceptable to consider the physical skill of a musician as an important aspect in your own music taste. I personally section the way i judge music into three categories, each of which will vary in importance from person to person: aesthetics(does it sound good, interesting, or cool?), ethos(do they have artistic integrity? do I agree with their ideological stance, if they appear to have one?), and athletics(can they play lots of notes, in tune, in time?). This is also the order of importance with which i hold them. Perhaps you have a different order of importance. That's okay. What is not okay is to confuse not not being interested in a band and thinking they are not good. those are two entirely different things.

Yes, music is aesthetic.  I personally believe that technically complex music, in general, sounds better than simplistic music.  There is little layering and subtlety possible if the musicians struggle to play basic material in tune and on beat.  And, even if The Ramones actually were better musicians than they performed, that doesn't change my point.  Their music is simplistic and based almost entirely on speed.  As to your criteria, it's fairly similar to mine, except that I would place "athletics" (technical skill) first, not because it's all encompassing, but because I do not want to listen to a band with lesser talent.  Also, I sould replace your category of "ethos" with a different concept.  Almost no bands share my ideologies, therefore I usually disregard this.  Instead, I consider whether there is some sort of connection and internal consistency in the band's body of work.  Is there a similar mood?  Sound?  Feeling?  This is one of the reasons that Led Zeppelin is my favorite group: everything they do has a particular sense of mysticism about it.  The music seems almost mythic, and not in the sense of "OMG, Zeppelin are gods!!1!!!," but in the sense of their being something very mysterious about it.  Even their most disparate songs- say "When the Levee Breaks" and "Communication Breakdown" - have a slight connection in some metaphysical way.  I will end now, since it appears that I am becoming too philosophical for my own tastes.
Keep a coolin' baby.

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #256 on: 07 Feb 2009, 13:35 »

Oh, fuck you.

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #257 on: 07 Feb 2009, 13:38 »

The Doors are considered by some to be incredibly overrated.

The Smiths are not overrated, neither are the Ramones, I can't believe that nobody called you out on the Smiths comment.
I also think that The Doors are somewhat overrated.  I still like them.  I think that people tend to overrate Jim Morrison while underrating John Densmore, who is my focal point when I listen (as I mentioned, I am a drummer).

I already mentioned why I think The Ramones are overrated, but, you're right, nobody has mentioned The Smiths so far.  I just don't like their music, for one thing, and, for another, I have a huge, undying hatred for Morrissey (I hope I spelled that right).  Admittedly, I also like The Police while hating Sting, but I like the music of The Police much more than The Smiths.  Obviously, you disagree.
Keep a coolin' baby.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #258 on: 07 Feb 2009, 14:43 »

Guitar: random downstrokes (playing in a coherent time signature not necessary).

I defy you to name even one Ramones song where Johnny Ramone was playing out of time.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #259 on: 07 Feb 2009, 14:46 »

As I said: musical talent is a prerequisite for me to consider a band "good."  It is NOT all that is important, but it IS important.

Second Premise: The Ramones were not instrumentally skilled.
Conclusion: I do not consider the Ramones a good band.

Premise: A band does not need to be unbelievably good at their instruments for me to consider them good, just better than decent.
Second Premise: The Black Keys are not unbelievable musicians, but they are above average and write good, bluesy music.
Conclusion: Despite their not being the best musicians, I like the Black Keys.

And, to be honest, I don't listen very much to Fugazi or Husker Du and I don't really have any interest in giving them a long look at the moment. 

All the musical skill in the world doesn't make up for being shitty musicians. Music, in the end, is about sounding good. Example: none of the Rolling Stones can play their instruments for shit, with the possible exception of Keith Richards and Mick Taylor; but they are (were) a great band. Despite their near complete lack of technical ability, they still wrote good music and sounded good together. If all it took to make a good band/good music were talented musicians, then 90% of prog rock/metal bands wouldn't be the absolute shitpiles that they actually are. See, for example, Dream Theater; fantastically talented musicians, but for the most part a terrible, terrible band. Van Halen, Eddie is one of the most technically amazing guitarists ever, but his music sucks (this can be applied to most guitar wankers, actually).  

Basically, the first priority for good music cannot simply be pure chops. There are way too many technically proficient people who just make shitty shitty music for this to be reasonable.

Anyway, back on topic, U2, The Beatles, Radiohead, Bruce Springsteen, Explosions in the Sky, Pink Floyd, Kanye West, Muse, and yes, the Sex Pistols, are overrated.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #260 on: 07 Feb 2009, 15:56 »

1.  Because I place value on someone being good at what they do.  If you are a guitarist, I am interested in you being a good guitarist.  It's like sports: the best players on a team are usually the most popular.  I want bands to be good at what they do.

A band can be good at what they do without being technically proficient. All the technical proficiency in the world doesn't mean you make a great album or hold a crowd's attention.

2.  I define skill as technical proficiency at an instrument.  This is easiest for me to define in terms of drums, because that is what I play.  If a drummer is capable of maintaining rhythm in a variety of time signatures and at a variety of speeds while playing complex material, especially syncopation, and has technically difficult fills, I am inclined to like that drummer.  However, as I said, this is not the ONLY factor I consider, but it is the first.  Of course, I'm not wholly consistent, and sometimes I allow one musician's skill to make up for the failures of the others (a la The Doors: John Densmore is a technically skilled drummer, the other guitar and organ are not at the same level).

Meh, here we just disagree. Skill isn't everything. Sometimes the greatest skill is knowing that fancy frills aren't needed, quite apart from which skill is not totally quantifiable.

3.  While I appreciate multi-talentedness, I am more concerned with proficiency at one instrument.  For instance, a friend and I argued the merits of Eric Clapton vs. Jimmy Page.  My friend argued that Clapton should be considered better for, among other reasons, the fact that he often sang while playing.  I disagree.  I think skill or talent should be judged primarily within one field or at one instrument/position in the band (i.e., no bonus points for singing guitarists).

Isn't that just closing yourself off a bit? Multi-instrumentalism is a skill in and of itself, and anyone who can play more than one instrument I consider to be a slightly better musician than I would if they just play one instrument well. Playing multiple instruments means you need subtlety, nuance and knowing what is needed for each instrument you play.

Also, I don't know if you can say the Sex Pistols were not bad musically when they featured Sid "I Have No Idea What I'm Doing, So I Will Pluck Some Strings Very Fast" Vicious.

If you'd read the very next sentence you'd do well. Quite apart from which, I consider the Pistols to be Jones, Cook, Rotten and Matlock. Vicious never played anything on record as far as I know and I think they muted his bass at gigs.

A Shoggoth on the Roof

• Furry furrier
« Reply #261 on: 07 Feb 2009, 16:44 »

am I the only one that gets the sense that this dude's trolling? I mean, there's just too many good bands that an opinion like that would ignore for it to be real. Even if he is serious, does it matter that much?

and yea, Vicious was totally just that guy who goes to gigs to get drunk and try to start fights. except he was on stage instead of in the crowd.

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #262 on: 07 Feb 2009, 18:10 »

Not trolling.  Just expressing my honest opinions.  And, as I mentioned, I think Dream Theater is a good band.

Also: I mean "good at what they do" in terms of the individual musicians, not the band as a whole.  If the musicians are good individually (or at least SOMEONE in the band), I will give them a shot.  Then, if the band gells, I will like the band.

And I don't like the Rolling Stones.
Keep a coolin' baby.

ImRonBurgundy?

« Reply #263 on: 07 Feb 2009, 18:25 »

Is there such a thing as musical asperger's because I think you have it.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #264 on: 07 Feb 2009, 18:35 »

This is objectively better than any Dream Theater song ever. There can be no argument.

Also, stop wanking on about Jones, Matlock wrote most of the Sex Pistols music. Fun music fact for the day: Glen Matlock came up with the riff for Pretty Vacant by accident whilst trying to nail 'Fernando' by Abba.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #265 on: 07 Feb 2009, 19:24 »

I dislike Rush, because they disregard the process of writing songs that people enjoy listening to.  However, I do like Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment

"I don't like oranges because they're too citrusy, however I do like sucking on limes and shooting lemon juice into my eyeball"

(I am a fan of all three of those bands but your statement makes no fucking sense)
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #266 on: 07 Feb 2009, 19:28 »

I think that Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment do a better job of writing fun music.  Yes, they are even more technically complex and more theoretical, but I enjoy their music a lot more.  Ultimately, music is, after all, subjective (so, no, Blitzkrieg Bop is not better than DT or LTE, because I don't think it is).  Therefore, I can believe who I want to believe is overrated, and enjoy who I enjoy.  Besides, I think Neil Peart is a douche.
Keep a coolin' baby.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #267 on: 07 Feb 2009, 19:31 »

You could get away with saying DT are less guilty of writing technical music for technicalities sake than Rush, if you had a real silver tongue but Liquid Tension Experiment are one of the biggest wank bands on the planet.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #268 on: 07 Feb 2009, 20:00 »

I dislike Rush, because they disregard the process of writing songs that people enjoy listening to.  However, I do like Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment, who are better than Rush in terms of musicianship, but are totally awesome prog rockers who write very interesting music.

I enjoy listening to Rush songs a great deal more than DT or LTE, both of whom I would put into the category of very talented prog rock musicians who write abominably shitty music. They are neither pleasant nor interesting, for the most part it's just obnoxious, showy "LOOK AT OUR TALENT" wankery. Also, sorry, but Neil Peart/Geddy Lee >>>>>>>>>>Mike Portnoy/John Myung. I'm fairly indifferent towards Alex Lifeson, but really, Rush's rhythm section is damn near untouchable.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #269 on: 07 Feb 2009, 20:11 »

Really if you're going to argue for anything making Rush's music inaccessible, you'd probably put the blame on Pearts lyrics before you accused them of instrumental wankery.

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #270 on: 07 Feb 2009, 20:13 »

Last ditch effort to make this somewhat civil: all posts on this thread should have "in my opinion" as an unspoken caveat.  Therefore, in my opinion, Mike Portnoy is better than Neil Peart.  Again, in my opinion, neither is as good as John Bonham.  They probably have more technical chops, but they cannot touch Bonzo's sound and instincts.  Also, I really don't think John Myung is that great either, so if you want, count Geddy Lee vs. John Myung as a point to Rush.  But John Petrucci might be the most talented guitarist in the world.

As to everyone who says that Dream Theater writes bad music, I suggest Metropolis Part II: Scenes from a Memory.  It's one of my favorite albums.  LTE might be more guilty of this, but songs like Universal Mind are really fun.  It ends with about fifteen seconds of reggae followed by that circus theme song.  It made me literally laugh the first time I heard it (at least I think that's Universal Mind, it might be Paradigm Shift, and I don't have the motivation to check right now).
Keep a coolin' baby.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #271 on: 07 Feb 2009, 20:19 »

But John Petrucci might be the most talented guitarist in the world.

Sorry, not even close.

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #272 on: 07 Feb 2009, 20:24 »

Care to elaborate?  Also, bear in mind that, as I said, you can throw an "in my opinion" at the end of all these statements.
Keep a coolin' baby.

Be My Head

« Reply #273 on: 07 Feb 2009, 20:27 »

Care to elaborate?  Also, bear in mind that, as I said, you can throw an "in my opinion" at the end of all these statements.

John McLaughlin says: "WTF is this shit? John Petrucci? Who the fuck is that?"

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #274 on: 07 Feb 2009, 20:33 »

To clarify: when I say things, assume that I'm limiting my statements to the genres of reggae, blues, and the various forms of rock.  I have nothing to say about post-rock, jazz, classical, country, bluegrass, rap (well, not much, except that Black Star freaking rule), R&B, or any other genre I may have over looked- oh, and pop.
Keep a coolin' baby.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #275 on: 07 Feb 2009, 20:49 »

Ok, see if you say that John Petrucci is the best modern prog rock guitar wanker, you might even be able to convince me of that. Because he is a very skilled technician, he just *does not make good music*.

So, off the top of my head, John McLaughlin, Steve Howe, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Vernon Reid, Andre Olbrich, Brian Patrick Carroll, and probably Eddie Van Halen.

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #276 on: 07 Feb 2009, 20:51 »

Ok, see if you say that John Petrucci is the best modern prog rock guitar wanker, you might even be able to convince me of that. Because he is a very skilled technician, he just *does not make good music*.

So, off the top of my head, John McLaughlin, Steve Howe, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Vernon Reid, Andre Olbrich, Brian Patrick Carroll, and probably Eddie Van Halen.
I disagree.  In terms of agreeable music, I think Stevie Ray Vaughan is among the best in the world.  But he does not have the same technical skill.  Eddie Van Halen, in my opinion, fails on both counts- worse music, less talent.  Obviously, you disagree.
Keep a coolin' baby.

kyleg

• Plantmonster
« Reply #277 on: 07 Feb 2009, 22:11 »

You could get away with saying DT are less guilty of writing technical music for technicalities sake than Rush, if you had a real silver tongue but Liquid Tension Experiment are one of the biggest wank bands on the planet.
To be fair, that's the entire point of LTE to begin with.

Much of newer DT I agree is boring. Awake, Images and Words, and A Change of Seasons are phenominal albums chock full insanely technical musicianship and disciplined songwriting. Their last three or so have been off the mark on the songwriting aspect, but it happens with almost evry band that's been around for like 20 years.

Metallica I think has put together a sucessful comeback album with Death Magnetic. Objectively, it's on par with And Justice for All. I still haven't forgiven them for Load, Reload, or St. Anger, though.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #278 on: 08 Feb 2009, 03:22 »

You can't say 'objectively' about music. It doesn't work. Such a thing does not exist.

Also, stop wanking on about Jones, Matlock wrote most of the Sex Pistols music. Fun music fact for the day: Glen Matlock came up with the riff for Pretty Vacant by accident whilst trying to nail 'Fernando' by Abba.

'Wanking on'? Having mentioned him by name in one post and referring to him indirectly in a second?

Besides, we were talking about musical skill, and I think Jones has done a couple of little fills and such which suggest he was slightly better a guitarist than he got credit for. I wasn't talking about the songwriting.

ImRonBurgundy?

« Reply #279 on: 08 Feb 2009, 04:24 »

Actually, it's pretty well-documented that Steve Jones was a very disciplined and adept guitar player.  Of course, this was because, according to him, he was high on speed much of the time and the only thing he did was play guitar.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #280 on: 08 Feb 2009, 04:51 »

Then my ruminations were justified. Huzzah.

kyleg

• Plantmonster
« Reply #281 on: 08 Feb 2009, 08:08 »

You can't say 'objectively' about music. It doesn't work. Such a thing does not exist.

I mean pretend those three albums don't exist by look at it objectively.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #282 on: 08 Feb 2009, 09:35 »

Ah, fair enough.

What I've heard from that album annoys me anyway, but I don't want to start a multi-page debate with Alex again!

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #283 on: 08 Feb 2009, 09:38 »

am I the only one that gets the sense that this dude's trolling? I mean, there's just too many good bands that an opinion like that would ignore for it to be real. Even if he is serious, does it matter that much?

By the way, I meant to say this earlier: when you say "good" and I say "good," obviously we mean different things.  Therefore, in my opinion, I like all the good bands and dislike all the bad bands, because music is subjective.  What is "good" to me is different than what is "good" to you.  I happen to dislike most of the bands that everyone thinks are so great, especially from the 1980s onward.  The only real popular bands I like are: Zeppelin (and they become less popular as time goes on), U2 (who I admit are overrated, but still like), Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Queen, and Pearl Jam.  Besides that, I like mostly less-popular groups.  If that makes me a hater of "good" bands, so be it.  It's what I like.

Keep a coolin' baby.

SrMeowMeow

• Plantmonster
« Reply #284 on: 08 Feb 2009, 15:53 »

Oh! god do I hate RHCP. They have some very good songs, but their general sound is so obnoxious. They're one of the few bands that I actively snap out of whatever else I was doing to change the song when I'm just listening to my playlist on shuffle. The attack is just so abrupt, it really bothers me.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
« Reply #285 on: 08 Feb 2009, 18:08 »

Man maybe I'm crazy but if I hate a band that much I tend to just take them off my goddamn playlist.
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #286 on: 08 Feb 2009, 18:17 »

Nice 30 Rock picture.

Also, I agree: if you can't stand to listen to a band, just remove them.  And obviously I disagree with you about the Chili Peppers.
Keep a coolin' baby.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #287 on: 09 Feb 2009, 03:46 »

I can listen to a few Chilis songs, mostly from the Navarro era, because they sounded nothing like themselves. I love 'Warped.'

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #288 on: 09 Feb 2009, 12:27 »

I very much dislike Dave Navarro.  I think Frusciante is the best Peppers guitarist, although Hillel Slovak wins points for the name, and also for dying in the same way as Mitch Heberg and Chris Farley.
Keep a coolin' baby.

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.
« Reply #289 on: 09 Feb 2009, 13:05 »

Holy shit, this thread started off bad and very quickly became one of the worst things my eyes have ever had the misfortune to read.  :cry:
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #290 on: 09 Feb 2009, 14:30 »

I don't think anyone should get points for overdosing on heroin, but whatever.
Technically, it was a speedball.  Also, my tongue was firmly in cheek on that statement.
Keep a coolin' baby.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #291 on: 09 Feb 2009, 14:35 »

I very much dislike Dave Navarro.  I think Frusciante is the best Peppers guitarist, although Hillel Slovak wins points for the name, and also for dying in the same way as Mitch Heberg and Chris Farley.

Navarro is one of my earliest gay crushes, so maybe I'm biased. It's not that I like his guitar work better, if there's anything I like about the Chilis, it's Frusciante's guitar. It's just I like their overall sound a lot more with Navarro.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #292 on: 09 Feb 2009, 15:11 »

Unfortunately, Dave Navarro is amongst the world's largest obnoxious twatbags.

SrMeowMeow

• Plantmonster
« Reply #293 on: 09 Feb 2009, 15:20 »

Yeah, I should take them off my playlist, but I'm not entirely sure how. Winamp keeps re-compiling my music library. I did delete a bunch of stuff awhile back, but whatever.

Anyway, I thought the point of this thread was to argue and discuss what bands we think are overrated? Can't we all get behind some good old-fashioned mudslinging?

Be My Head

« Reply #294 on: 09 Feb 2009, 15:42 »

The Who
Led Zeppelin
Queen
The Doors
The Beatles
Bruce Springsteen
The Eagles
Rush
Dream Theater
Rage Against The Machine
Radiohead
The White Stripes
The Red Hot Chili Peppers
Cream
Guns n' Roses
Pink Floyd
Arcade Fire
Beck
Tool
The Mars Volta

etc...etc...

And then we have nu-metal/metalcore shit, which is mostly rated accordingly by any listener who is competent, and then overrated by it's fans.
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2009, 15:45 by Be My Head »

eddie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #295 on: 09 Feb 2009, 15:47 »

Frank Sinatra, I really fucking hate Frank Sinatra. Its all yuppie pap about going on vacation and drinking cocktails, it makes me a little bit sick.

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #296 on: 09 Feb 2009, 15:49 »

I absolutely agree with:
The Beatles
Springsteen
The Eagles
Rush
Rage
Radiohead
The White Stripes
Guns n'Roses
Floyd
The Arcade Fire
Beck
Sinatra
and sort of The Doors.

I disagree (sort of) with The Who, very strongly with Zeppelin, half-heartedly disagree with Queen (Freddie, great as he was, is overrated, but Brian May is underrated), and Dream Theater- at least Metropolis Pt. 2 which is one of my favorite all time albums.
Keep a coolin' baby.

eddie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #297 on: 09 Feb 2009, 15:52 »

I forgot Elvis. Yes he made some great rock n roll but he made a lot more sloppy love ballads

Be My Head

« Reply #298 on: 09 Feb 2009, 15:54 »

Elvis and other similar artists of the same general time period, made a living ripping off poor black artists. Artists who were already doing what they did, except better.

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #299 on: 09 Feb 2009, 16:00 »

Totally agree.  Elvis got famous ripping off work alreadly in progress.  Besides, I just don't think he was that good.
Keep a coolin' baby.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up