THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 08:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So I've got this problem...  (Read 2129 times)

himynameisjulien

So I've got this problem...
« on: 11 Aug 2008, 09:58 »

Recently, my Danelectro has developed what I call "acoustic distortion" while playing power chords with 6th string roots. I mean, it sounds exactly like the distortion on my amp if you listen closely. It kind of sounds like a piece of metal is moving about or is a bit loose, vibrating with the strings, but I don't know what. I checked the screws, the jack, the bridge, everything. Anyone have any idea what it is?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: So I've got this problem...
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2008, 10:49 »

Is it a like, vibrating sound? Because I get that on most of my guitars, I dunno what it is (possibly just a string vibrating against a finger) but I've never figured out how to stop it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2008, 10:59 »

I used to get that with my Jaguar. One screws that holds the strings at the bridge had come loose but the other one was still supporting it so the string played fine but there was a loose screw that shook when I played and made an annoying noise. I'd check the bridge if I were you.
Get off my land

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2008, 11:58 »

It's not the rattle from a fret? If the action is pretty low, maybe a fret just popped up a little bit and is barely kissing the string? The likelihood of that being the case depends significantly on how old or mistreated the guitar is though.
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2008, 12:02 »

Yeah, definitely sounds like fret buzz to me. Go get it set-up by someone who knows what they're doing.

Or just look up instructions on the internet and intonate it yourself.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

himynameisjulien

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2008, 19:19 »

It's not the rattle from a fret? If the action is pretty low, maybe a fret just popped up a little bit and is barely kissing the string? The likelihood of that being the case depends significantly on how old or mistreated the guitar is though.
It has some fret buzz as well sometimes, but this isn't it. I've been told my neck is a little too straight, and that's why I get the fret buzz, but this sound is like I loosely taped a piece of metal onto the inside of my guitar (it's a hollowbody, no sound holes). It's not fret buzz.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2008, 21:25 »

I've got this epic problem,
this epic problem's not a problem for me,
and inside I know I'm broken,
but I'm working as far as you can see,
and outside it's all production,
it's all illusion, set scenery.
I've got this epic problem,
this epic problem's not a problem for me. 

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2008, 02:51 »

I doubt this is it, but check your tuning pegs, I had a buzzing, which ended up being a loose screw on a tuning peg. Tightened it up and it hasn't happened again.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

dalconnsuch

« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2008, 06:26 »

my firebird has that same problem

turns out when i got it looked at? my low E string was actualy BENT right at the seventh fret so anytime i played anything with a note on the seventh fret for the low e?

it would always sounded like pure sadness on the guitar, and not in any good way, it was like abuse to the guitar and amp

caused alot of problems during gigs until i realised it, just a slight bent, like microscopic
Pages: [1]   Go Up