THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 11:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Wire  (Read 6226 times)

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
The Wire
« on: 13 Jan 2011, 09:05 »

I know I'm late with it, but I just started watching this show, and it's easily one of the best I've seen. I just finished episode 10 of season 1, and fuck it was intense - the whole time I was thinking what a great character Greggs is, and then she gets shot at the end. Few shows can build that kind of emotional investment from me, so it pretty much speaks for itself with how good it is. I also hear it only gets better, so I'm so stoked to go on with it.

Anyone else into it, at the moment?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
Re: The Wire
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2011, 10:05 »

There's some pretty fantastic conversation that's happened in this thread here (starts off at somewhat split purposes but becomes more  or less completely about The Wire by the end of the first page). It is very, very, very spoilertastic though, so if you've only seen the first season I suppose you wouldn't want to go through it yet. I guess it's gonna be hard to find an conversation about The Wire that doesn't feature spoilers.

There is one hope for you, though. I'll pass along a recommendation that another member on this forum made to me when I was first starting out, and that enriched my viewing greatly; Alan Sepinwall's blogs on every episode The Wire, done in "newbie" (spoiler-free) and "veteran" (spoileriffic) versions, that are probably some of the most incisive, thoughtful and astute commentary on the series yet written. Find them here, links to each season's blogs in right column.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2011, 08:56 »

Much appreciated. This blog is fantastic.

bmfs

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • The Pink Robut.
« Reply #3 on: 08 Mar 2011, 22:09 »

My fiance and I just started finally watching this program recently as well - we're about halfway through the 3rd season, and friend I can tell you it just keeps getting better.
Polar bears?

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2011, 02:42 »

Fuck it, let's talk about the Wire again then. It's not like we're doing anything better here anyway.

One of the things that strikes me more with each re-watching is how writerly the show is. I mean obviously it's incredibly well researched and one of the things the show is most often and most vocally praised for is its realism, but in many ways it's also very "literary". And I don't just mean in the grand 19th-century-novelistic sweep of it, I mean in little details and parallels that run throughout the series. A good example of this (and a good indication of the writers having a little bit of fun) is the way McNulty keeps repeating "What the fuck did I do?" throughout the first season, with constantly shifting meaning. It's the kind of thing you don't even really notice the first time through, but it's a very literary kind of effect - and the kind of thing that's much more likely to be found in a novel than in real life.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2011, 09:57 »

I'm nearing the end of season 3, and I really think this is the one where it becomes amazing. The Wire always impresses me with how well-written it is, as it's complex from so many different angles, yet it all comes together so seamlessly, but this season is just nuts. The fall of Avon's legacy, his relationship with String upon his return, the development of String as a character, the shit Coleman has been doing to keep the crime rates low, the whole subplot with Carcetti, Kima and McNulty's relationship, etc. All  of it just fascinates me, and from what I've been told, season 4 is even better.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2011, 12:41 »

I haven't watched this show since I caught up for the final season, then watched the final season a day after each episode aired (I didn't have HBO at the time), but I think it's due for a rewatch this summer.  Quite easily the greatest show I have ever seen.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2011, 15:37 »

For all 12 of you who don't use torrents, The Wire is on iTunes for $13 a season. Get it.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2011, 09:43 »

I've never understood paying for digital media.  At least with physical media, you get something solid, that can be easily moved from one DVD player to another.  But if it's what you're into, $1 an episode is a fine deal (but it probably doesn't come with commentary or anything).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Algernon

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • dangerously bipedal
« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2011, 11:18 »

Well there's definitely an immediate gratification factor in digital media, and the paying for it just makes one feel like slightly less of an asshole.  I definitely understand where you're coming from, though, and it does seem a little silly to pay good money without getting all the commentaries and extras that one would find on the DVDs.

And Vuk, the end of season three is probably my favorite part of the series' run.

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2011, 21:41 »

No kidding. When I saw that Brother Mouzone and Omar were teaming up, I knew it was going to be amazing.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2011, 01:17 »

Its McNulty at the start of the next episode that does it for me.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2011, 13:30 »

Ok, I was just about to post an example from season 5 using spoiler tags, and it said I didn't have the authority to post spoilers.  What's up with that?  Why have them if we can't use them?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2011, 15:32 »

Probably because when it was available to everyone it was a fucking disaster of shitty posting
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2011, 16:16 »

the lord giveth &c.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2011, 20:52 »

Alright, geez. I said I was sorry.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2011, 22:49 »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2011, 23:00 »

That scene with snoop at the hardware store.  :laugh:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2011, 23:40 »

I love how Snoop goes from enthusiastic girl committing her first drive by to co-leader of a professional hit squad in less than a season.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: [1]   Go Up