THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 02:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shockwave Shucks (ARRRGH moment)  (Read 2589 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Shockwave Shucks (ARRRGH moment)
« on: 30 Nov 2010, 20:48 »

I am growing increasingly frustrated with Justin.tv and uStream - not because of the content, but because I can't get the ####ing videos to PLAY.

Here's what's up: it doesn't matter what browser I use (IE, FF, Safari). When I open up a live stream (or even a recorded one) on either site, I get a blank black box where the video should be playing.

I don't have the problems with YouTube or sites like MLB.com - only with the two sites listed. I don't have either site on any (known) block lists (like hosts or such). And I can't find ANYTHING out there to help.

I already tried the suggested "uninstall and reinstall" from Adobe's help page, but that ain't working.

Yes, I'm running XPSP3, but c'mon, man, this is getting ridiculous.

Anyone wanna suggest something? I suspect a codec issue, but which one?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
Re: Shockwave Shucks (ARRRGH moment)
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2010, 21:21 »

I am growing increasingly frustrated with Justin.tv and uStream - not because of the content, but because I can't get the ####ing videos to PLAY.

Here's what's up: it doesn't matter what browser I use (IE, FF, Safari). When I open up a live stream (or even a recorded one) on either site, I get a blank black box where the video should be playing.

I don't have the problems with YouTube or sites like MLB.com - only with the two sites listed. I don't have either site on any (known) block lists (like hosts or such). And I can't find ANYTHING out there to help.

I already tried the suggested "uninstall and reinstall" from Adobe's help page, but that ain't working.

Yes, I'm running XPSP3, but c'mon, man, this is getting ridiculous.

Anyone wanna suggest something? I suspect a codec issue, but which one?

That is a strange one. Have you installed Quicktime? I only ask because I think some of the new underlying Apple codecs are being adopted pretty widely even with applications/sites that you don't normally associate with Apple (and I may be totally wrong on this, just stabbing in the dark). Along those some lines, you might try grabbing some kind of mega-codec pack and installing it to see if that helps.

S'all I got, hope it helps.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: Shockwave Shucks (ARRRGH moment)
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2010, 21:53 »

Did both. I've got the latest QT release, and installed the latest K-Lite Codec pack.

*Sigh*
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: [1]   Go Up