THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 19:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A conversation with a student.  (Read 7587 times)

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
A conversation with a student.
« on: 20 Aug 2008, 19:46 »

I've just started teaching at a school.  The first full day is tomorrow; today was a half day introducing students to new rules and new buildings.  At the end of the day, we had about five minutes extra time, so we gave the eighth graders some time to organize their lockers.

As you might expect, the boys' lockers are messes, piled high with stuff and with no extras.  The girls have theirs decorated with mirrors, white boards, mirrors, convenient cups to hold paper clips and such... and pictures.  One girl had some pictures of The Jonas Brothers*.  Another girl commented that one of them was totally emo. 

There began a long conversation about what it means to be emo, and what emo is and how is this Jonas character Emo?

Having heard these terms on Questionable Content (I am so not a hipster) I wandered over and tried to catch up.  I glanced at the pictures.  I saw the black hair covering the eye.  I saw the pale, emaciated, pretty-boy look.  I said, "Nah, not emo.  Looks like he's trying to be emo.  Just your basic indie hipster."

To which the 13 year old girl replied, "No.  They've gone totally commercial."

I imagine that in the year to come I will be repeatedly flummoxed by my students, but I have never been so thoroughly out-hipped and completely silenced by someone half my age as I was this afternoon.

Do you have any stories about times when you were left speechless regarding the indie scene?

I'll admit right now that I know nothing about the Jonas brothers nor do I want to.

* Like, OMG!?

billiumbean

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • "Clamsss... Waa!"
Re: A conversation with a student.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2008, 00:03 »

The Jonas Brothers have about as much natural talent as a box of Peeps has racist jokes.

That's basically all you need to know.
Quote from: Alex C
I do agree that this could potentially have some dire ramifications in regards to purple drank.

KamikaziCal

• Plantmonster
  • TEXT can go here?
« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2008, 02:20 »

* Like, OMG!?

This here made your whole post worth reading.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2008, 02:45 »

The Jonas Brothers are a Disney band.
Hate, rain on me

cgarci21

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Shagtastic
« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2008, 21:33 »

The Jonas Brothers are made of suck.

fix'd.  :-)
You know how animals can sense a tsunami coming before humans notice? I'm like that, only for sexy things. -Dora Bianchi

Ancient

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2008, 21:41 »

No you didn't need that. Cartilage Head made that clear when he said Disney Band.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2008, 01:55 »

I just meant to say that you can't possible be out-hipped when it comes to talking about a product.
Hate, rain on me

Immersion

« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2008, 11:47 »

The Jonas Brothers have about as much natural talent as a box of Peeps has racist jokes.

That's basically all you need to know.

Ahhahahahahaa.....
There needs to be a better way of expressing genuine hysterical laughter on the tubes.

cgarci21

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Shagtastic
« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2008, 10:41 »

No you didn't need that. Cartilage Head made that clear when he said Disney Band.

Granted. I, however, like to spell things out. Clearly.
You know how animals can sense a tsunami coming before humans notice? I'm like that, only for sexy things. -Dora Bianchi

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2008, 14:17 »

See, you haven't been out-hipped. You've just proven your ignorance of an incredibly main stream act. And being ignorant of the main stream is totally hip these days.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2008, 14:37 »

My cousins are both girls and they are 6 and 11 years old. Due to their parents religion, they've never had a television in their house and most likely never will. They've only just gotten the internet. Both of them are complete Disney fanatics. Most of the time, they don't like Disney things like Snow White and Cinderella and the classics, but only new things like Hannah Montana and That's So Raven or whatever.
So, today I had to go in the car with them and my aunt. They have XM radio and of course they want to listen to Radio Disney. So, my aunt is like, "Oh, lord."
But she puts it on for a while. And in the 30 minutes that we were in the car, they played like.. maybe 15 songs. Most of it was the same commercial. It wasn't really a commercial. It was this thing called like it or kick it or something to that effect. But they played a sample of this Vanessa Hudgens song and some girl that sounded about 8 or 9 would call in and say, "i liked it, i'm going to go on iTunes and buy it to put on my new iPod Touch."
And of the songs that i listened to, two of them were on the topic of being yourself. And one of them, the refrain was, "I am who i wanna be."
And i turned to my aunt and said, "She means, I am who my manager wants me to be."
And my aunt laughed.

But yeah, all of the songs sounded the same to me.
If any of you have XM you should listen for a while, it's awful.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2008, 15:36 »

Wait man I was so sauced about this topic that I forgot that it shouldn't be in genderal discussion at all. Since it will take a long time for a mod or Est to actually venture to this godforsaken board, be aware that this is not the proper board for this type of subject. It would fit better in Movies or I Like Fish.
Hate, rain on me

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2008, 04:07 »

But really, don't try and start this again in I Like Fish because it will end badly.

Oh God, it will be a train wreck made of pain and tears. And mocking.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2008, 11:12 »

I don't remember a subject like this being in I Like Fish.
Hate, rain on me

hipster jesus

« Reply #14 on: 24 Aug 2008, 21:46 »

But has a subject in I Like Fish ever not ended badly?
Pages: [1]   Go Up