Comic Discussion > QUESTIONABLE CONTENT

A conversation with a student.

(1/3) > >>

Surgoshan:
I've just started teaching at a school.  The first full day is tomorrow; today was a half day introducing students to new rules and new buildings.  At the end of the day, we had about five minutes extra time, so we gave the eighth graders some time to organize their lockers.

As you might expect, the boys' lockers are messes, piled high with stuff and with no extras.  The girls have theirs decorated with mirrors, white boards, mirrors, convenient cups to hold paper clips and such... and pictures.  One girl had some pictures of The Jonas Brothers*.  Another girl commented that one of them was totally emo. 

There began a long conversation about what it means to be emo, and what emo is and how is this Jonas character Emo?

Having heard these terms on Questionable Content (I am so not a hipster) I wandered over and tried to catch up.  I glanced at the pictures.  I saw the black hair covering the eye.  I saw the pale, emaciated, pretty-boy look.  I said, "Nah, not emo.  Looks like he's trying to be emo.  Just your basic indie hipster."

To which the 13 year old girl replied, "No.  They've gone totally commercial."

I imagine that in the year to come I will be repeatedly flummoxed by my students, but I have never been so thoroughly out-hipped and completely silenced by someone half my age as I was this afternoon.

Do you have any stories about times when you were left speechless regarding the indie scene?

I'll admit right now that I know nothing about the Jonas brothers nor do I want to.

* Like, OMG!?

billiumbean:
The Jonas Brothers have about as much natural talent as a box of Peeps has racist jokes.

That's basically all you need to know.

KamikaziCal:

--- Quote from: Surgoshan on 20 Aug 2008, 19:46 ---* Like, OMG!?

--- End quote ---

This here made your whole post worth reading.

Cartilage Head:
The Jonas Brothers are a Disney band.

cgarci21:

--- Quote from: Cartilage Head on 21 Aug 2008, 02:45 ---The Jonas Brothers are made of suck.

--- End quote ---

fix'd.  :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version