THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 08:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bloc Party's 3rd: Intimacy  (Read 11421 times)

Lolocaust

• Not quite a lurker
Bloc Party's 3rd: Intimacy
« on: 19 Aug 2008, 17:12 »

Anyone else really excited for this? comes out in two days.

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
Re: Bloc Party's 3rd: Intimacy
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2008, 18:10 »

I am, for one. I'll be downloading it on Thursday for sure.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2008, 18:53 »

For some reason, I've seen this band live but never actually listened to any of their albums. I dunno if I would, they're all right live, but I can't imagine their songs being all that great in the studio.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2008, 19:33 »

For some reason, I've seen this band live but never actually listened to any of their albums. I dunno if I would, they're all right live, but I can't imagine their songs being all that great in the studio.

At least get Silent Alarm, it's pretty great. After that it's up to you if you want to bother with A Weekend in the City. I could have done without it, personally.

I'm wondering if this album is more likely to continue in the direction of A Weekend in the City or get back to what they did best from the beginning.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2008, 20:48 »

Need to fix up Mercury. Opening is too long and silly, and the rest of the song suffers for it.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2008, 21:15 »

If it's anything like their last I will very excitedly stay away from it.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

gardenhead_

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • we live as we dream; alone
« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2008, 22:55 »

Guys, look at the tracklist: it's pretty hilarious.

01. Ares
02. Mercury
03. Halo
04. Biko
05. Trojan Horse
06. Signs
07. One Month Off
08. Zephyrus
09. Better Than Heaven
10. Ion Square

How they can release albums with terrible lyrics and tracklists that read like the chapters from a sci-fi novel and still be considered 'cool' is beyond me.
Quote from: Midnight Umbreon
You guys are all such douches.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2008, 23:12 »

Post-ironic?

And Hey! I like A Weekend in the City. It's not a bad album by any stretch of the imagination, just not AS good as Silent Alarm.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

gardenhead_

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2008, 23:30 »

Silent Alarm was a good album, and AWITC was ok, but from what I can see, they are releasing progresively shitty albums while gaining a larger fanbase. What is their obsession with cheesy techno/rave music anyway? First Flux, now Mercury.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2008, 23:38 »

If it's anything like their last I will very excitedly stay away from it.

Same.

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2008, 01:06 »

If anyone's interested, they released another track from the new album, Trojan Horse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edlDcLJXXDY

Bowers

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Breadsticks
« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2008, 02:27 »

I was really disappointed with AWITC, especially since Silent Alarm was so good.

I'm going to see them tomorrow at Leeds Festival so that should be good but I think I'll stay away from the new album.

Daft pun

• Curry sauce
  • hugs not ughs
« Reply #12 on: 20 Aug 2008, 02:44 »

I enjoyed their gig at the Pukkelpop festival way more than I expected, so I'll probably check this out. Still haven't listened to their second album though...
All this won't do you any good; you cannot return to the moon!

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2008, 07:17 »

Yeah I wasn't so terribly stoked on the second album.  Im eager to listen to the third and judge, judge hard.  Regardless I'll be seeing them Sept 17th in MTL, since there first album was one of my favs ever.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Lolocaust

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #14 on: 20 Aug 2008, 13:27 »

in my opinion, AWITC is almost as good as silent alarm. i think a lot of people on here dont like it because they are to set on bloc party's style being silent alarm. thats the beauty of them in my opinion, they have several different styles that they execute very well most of the time. this electronic stuff may not be as great or catchy as SA but they are evolving the way they want to and it can only lead to better music when they can finely find a good mix of the two. the myspace bulletin they released said that this album has some wildly experimental songs, some songs that are like old silent alarm classics, and combos of both. so i dont think we will be disappointing.

gardenhead_

« Reply #15 on: 20 Aug 2008, 17:28 »

But Bloc Party don't seem like they're aiming for the nerds, but the clubbers now with that terrible faux-rave. I don't know. Those are just some really terrible track names.

Be My Head

« Reply #16 on: 20 Aug 2008, 17:37 »

At the concert I went to the lead singer went crowd surfing and they put on a decent show. And yes, the music is something you might play at a party or a "faux-rave", really it's great live with hundreds of other people pressed up against you and the music blaring in your ears. But I just can't fathom why people go crazy over it, there seemed to be a 12 year old kid standing beside me at the show (I was front row, it was all standing) and he went apeshit when they started playing. To be fair though, I only went to see Deerhoof.

As for the track names, "09. Better Than Heaven" is my favourite. How much more pretentious does it get? I heard Bloc Party are kinda douchebaggy anyways, I read in the "Ask Kliph" thread on the Flaming Lips board (Kliph is good friends with Deerhoof who toured with Bloc Party) that they were huge assholes to Deerhoof during that tour.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2008, 17:40 by Be My Head »

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #17 on: 20 Aug 2008, 17:46 »

The thing is that Silent Alarm was a really excellent band record. The guitar lines were really spiky and interlocked well, the rhythm section was unbelievably tight (Matt Tong is a truly incredible drummer) and Okerke grasped that his voice wasn't always the strongest part of the band.

Somewhere they lost that and it really shows.

PassiveTheory

« Reply #18 on: 20 Aug 2008, 21:13 »

Can it please be their last? Maybe if Keke lets Johnny Rotten knock him around some more he'll write some digestible music for once...

imagist42

« Reply #19 on: 20 Aug 2008, 22:50 »

in my opinion, AWITC is almost as good as silent alarm. i think a lot of people on here dont like it because they are to set on bloc party's style being silent alarm.

No, I am pretty sure it is because the album is what you get when you take away the rockin' fun of Silent Alarm, add in blatantly pretentious "experimentalism" + whinier vocals + cliched social commentary, and create an album with few real merits. Had it had any real merits, be they the kind Silent Alarm had or not, I might overlook the previously mentioned factored.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #20 on: 21 Aug 2008, 07:13 »

Well today is the day and id be lieing if I said I wasnt excited.  There hasnt been an album dropped by any of my fav bands since Hot Hot Heats completely sufficient Happiness Ltd.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #21 on: 21 Aug 2008, 09:13 »

probably going to listen to it today - i barely listened to the last album, but it didn't really bother me, just didn't really interest me

Lolocaust

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #22 on: 21 Aug 2008, 20:07 »

its fucking great in my opinion.

imagist42

« Reply #23 on: 22 Aug 2008, 11:51 »

Okay, "Ares" (BLEEEECH oh god I am barfing DOGSHIT) almost made me delete this and never look back, especially when it was followed by "Mercury" (not exactly their strongest song). What the holy daemonic purgatory were they thinking?

But "Halo" made me smile, so I kept listening. "Trojan Horse" and "Better Than Heaven" are both good in some way, too. Some of the songs are still pretty mediocre but it's nowhere near as bland as A Weekend in the City was for me.

Retrospectre

• Curry sauce
« Reply #24 on: 23 Aug 2008, 04:10 »

Ain't bad.

I don't love it but it ain't too bad.

Ares makes me want to kill my children though.

Beast

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I Was Born (A Unicorn)
« Reply #25 on: 24 Aug 2008, 09:06 »

Ares makes me want to kill your children too
xD jk
I had two cars but I wrecked em.

GMM

• The Internet Sleeps Sundays
« Reply #26 on: 24 Aug 2008, 13:01 »

Ares is fucking terrible. The rest, I quite like. I think Ion Square is possibly the best thing they've ever done.

Lolocaust

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #27 on: 25 Aug 2008, 18:31 »

ares is a fucking amazing song in my opinion. it makes me want to go start fighting people.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #28 on: 25 Aug 2008, 18:44 »

So far nothing in this thread refutes with the latter half of your assessment.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #29 on: 25 Aug 2008, 18:55 »

I had to see what the disgust was about so I found an mp3 Ares. It may just be one of the ten worst songs of the decade thus far. Can't comment on the rest of the album and, frankly, I don't really want to.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #30 on: 25 Aug 2008, 18:56 »

OK I've done the music blog rounds and listened to a bunch of songs off of this album, and yes, it is roundly horrible.

But, I don't think it's entirely accurate to blame it on the bands experimentation in electronic music or anything. In my opinion, the music hits the mark most of the time. But my GOD is Kele Okereke fucking annoying on this album, both lyrically and melodically.

Ares makes me want to go out and fight. Fight Okereke for being so fucking idiotic.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

imagist42

« Reply #31 on: 25 Aug 2008, 22:42 »

I am fairly convinced he is at least half the reason A Weekend in the City disappointed me so much. Although I've got to be honest, Bloc Party were never interesting lyrically, so on the parts of this album where his vocals sound far less terrible, they are just about as good as Silent Alarm ever was.

GMM

• The Internet Sleeps Sundays
« Reply #32 on: 28 Aug 2008, 02:15 »

I had to see what the disgust was about so I found an mp3 Ares. It may just be one of the ten worst songs of the decade thus far. Can't comment on the rest of the album and, frankly, I don't really want to.

Well, the rest really is a lot, lot better than Ares. Try Ion Square, Halo and Biko and you'll have a good idea of how the rest of it sounds. And if you hate those three too then fair 'nuff.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #33 on: 28 Aug 2008, 02:38 »

True, some of the songs are just mediocre, instead of offensively bad.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Lolocaust

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #34 on: 28 Aug 2008, 09:17 »

can someone descriptively describe whats wrong with ares?

Beast

• I Was Born (A Unicorn)
« Reply #35 on: 28 Aug 2008, 11:44 »

His voice is just so terrible.
"Woah WOah WOAh WOAH!"
It's the worst song I've ever heard in my entire life. It's just that bad. I literally vomitted with rage when I first heard it.  I continued to vomit on/off for several hours, until the explosive diarrhea came. I finally put the barrel of a gun into my mouth, and contemplated pulling the trigger, but decided that it wasn't me who deserved to die for the song; it was Okereke.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #36 on: 28 Aug 2008, 11:49 »

Not since "My Humps" has a song astounded me with it's awfulness as much as Ares. It's an absolute mess. Not a single second is tolerable. It's an abomination and I personally don't think the rest of the album, even if the remaining songs are album of the year material (which I know for a fact they aren't), could come close to redeeming itself. It's that bad.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Be My Head

« Reply #37 on: 28 Aug 2008, 12:12 »

Dammit, *I* want to be the one vomiting of rage.

You guys are making me want to actually listen to it now : (

Can't be *that* bad can it? CAN IT??

*goes to listen*

*turns off the Black Metal he was listening to*

Okay, sounds kinda synthy. This could get good if they suddenly rocked out. Oh, what the fuck is that guitar riff? Why does he keep playing it? WHAT THE FUCK, those drums sound terrible. Am I listening to Drum n' Bass or an Indie Rock band? SWEET FUCKING CHRIST WHY DID HE START SINGING. What the fuck is he talking about in this song? Why are there people talking back at him? Why are there so many pointless effects?

*vomits with rage*

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #38 on: 28 Aug 2008, 12:14 »

I'm listening to Ares right now, and the problem with it is just simply the fact that nothing fits anywhere.  The vocals aren't anywhere near the sort of clever, beautiful voice I'm used to from Kele.  The guitar line was okay, if a bit ravey, but is mulled down by the fact that the band built a real mess around it.  The bassist just does a shitty job all around, and the drums are tight but suffer the same problem as the guitar.  Nothing in this song belongs where it is.  I mean, at least My Humps knew what it was.  It was a shitty dance song made by shitty dance/hip-hop musicians, and it was produced accordingly.   This is at best a collage of noise that was poorly produced and overly experimental, and at worst, something that made both my ears and stomach want to secede from my body to get away from the failed jenga puzzle that is this song.

Beast

• I Was Born (A Unicorn)
« Reply #39 on: 28 Aug 2008, 12:27 »

My mother's birthday was last friday. I knew she had enjoyed Bloc Party's debut album, Silent Alarm, so I purchased a copy of their new release, Intimacy, to give to her. The next day, my mother's friends and family gathered in our backyard to celebrate her birthday. After the other guests had given my mother their presents, it was my turn. I handed her the copy of Intimacy and her eyes lit up. A smile spread across her face, and she instantly hugged and thanked me. My uncle ran into the house and brought out our boombox. My mother then inserted the disc, and pressed the play button. As Ares started to play, my mom's smile faded into an expression of surprise, horror, and rage. She suddenly began to smash her head onto the table in front of her, until she was no longer conscious. Blood ran from a gash in her forehead, and I entered an enraged trance. Throwing any objects within reach, I faded in and out of reality. I could still hear Ares, even through the sounds of my sobbing, screaming agony, and the occasional shrieks of the surrounding guests. After 3 minutes of utter destruction, Ares finally came to an end. As my fury gradually subsided, I glanced at the vast wreckage that lay before me. Suddenly I could taste the familiar flavor of bile, burning the back of my throat. One step towards the trashcan, I knew it was too late. I vomited all over my mother's cake, gifts, and unconscious body. I glared up towards the sky, raised my clenched fists high up into the air, and screamed, "GOD, WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS?". To this very day, I am still without an answer.

imagist42

« Reply #40 on: 28 Aug 2008, 12:43 »

It would have been better if the album actually had a physical release yet.

I really didn't have a problem with most of the components of Ares until Okerekekekekeke started singing. That is the most careless, atonal, whiny and all around terrible sound I have heard come (presumably) from a human mouth in quite some time. He wails like a whale at some points, but more gruff and with less regard for others.
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2008, 12:45 by imagist42 »

Retrospectre

• Curry sauce
« Reply #41 on: 29 Aug 2008, 05:58 »

Despite saying it makes me want to kill children I do like the part of Ares where it's all "ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh somethingsomethingsomething IN '98".

Direct quote.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #42 on: 29 Aug 2008, 10:28 »

No. That part is awful.

Hollow Press (my blog)
Pages: [1]   Go Up