THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 07:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: One for the gentlemen, although ladies may wish to look in.  (Read 14510 times)

benji

• Bling blang blong blung

It's been a long time since I read the it, but I seem to recall that Palahniuk makes it slightly clearer in the book that he thinks the philosophy espoused by the club is a bad idea in the end. The point, as I took it, is that our commercialized, detached society is pathetic but exalting a primitive macho vision of masculinity isn't going to solve the problem, just create different problems. Or maybe that was just my response to the book and not what it actually said?
This signature is intentionally left blank.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer

That's something I can get behind, though.  Anyone else seen Football Factory?  That was shit.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto

It's been a long time since I read the it, but I seem to recall that Palahniuk makes it slightly clearer in the book that he thinks the philosophy espoused by the club is a bad idea in the end. The point, as I took it, is that our commercialized, detached society is pathetic but exalting a primitive macho vision of masculinity isn't going to solve the problem, just create different problems. Or maybe that was just my response to the book and not what it actually said?

Well, see, I like the story much more.  My problem with the movie is that it doesn't get that across.  It embraces the idea instead of making it something of a cautionary tale.  It exalts all the violence and the sex and then shows you that whoa, the main guy was really embracing the masculine beast inside and that made him all he wanted to be.  If you're paying attention, you'll notice that's not what the film wants to say, but it's still not really getting it across entirely well.  The film is excellent otherwise, though.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi

Actually, I felt that the film got across the point that all the macho bullshit was just that - macho bullshit - quite well.  And I saw it before I read the book, so.

In fact, before I saw it, I didn't WANT to see it because of the kind of people I noticed who were big fans of it.  I was like "Ugh, great, a movie about dudes homoerotically beating each other up, RAD" but as long as you pay attention it is actually pretty anti-dude.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Nodaisho

Yeah, it struck me as showing the characters rebelling against commercialization and demasculinization, but going too far in the other direction, there are better ways to accept one's mortality than pouring lye on your hand.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy

That's woman-talk, get 'im fellas!
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Coward

• FIGHT YOU
  • Carries on, a wayward son.

I'm tempted to peel off with a separate 'Discussions' thread about masculinity now, especially after a few posts on the 'Gun Control' and 'Military' threads respectively. Anyone think this would be useful and/or entertaining?
Quote from: Buckaroo Banzai
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, 'cos, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows

There's already one about femininity already, I say go for it.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building

I've got to admit that I really "admire" Edward Norton (there's that Fight Club reference again), Clive Owen (funnily enough), Cillian Murphy and David Tennant (though he's a TV actor). I'll openly admit that the word "man-crush" might be freely used, but I'll also admit that Cillian Murphy's eyes are a bit scary lookin'.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

3Z3VH

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net

I have to say... I'd go gay for John Cusack.
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up