THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 31 Aug 2024, 18:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Coffee?  (Read 35850 times)

scrubadub

• Plantmonster
Re: Best Coffee?
« Reply #50 on: 25 Apr 2008, 06:15 »

Nescafe instant.

kafromet

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #51 on: 25 Apr 2008, 08:05 »

All I know about coffee besides starbucks I learned from Alton Brown.
Alton is my Master now.  I love AB, Good Eats and Feasting on Asphalt!  If you are at all interested in cooking his book, "I'm Just Here for the Food" is the best.  It explains what is happening when you cook, not just how to follow a recipe.

Anyway...back to the topic.

The single best cup of coffee I ever had was a French pressed Jamaican Blue Mountain that I had at Emeril's restaurant in Vegas.  We were there for a bachelor party and since I was dropping an obscene amount of money on the meal, I figured I could splurge on the after dinner coffee.  It was ridiculously good, everything that is fantastic about coffee.  If I was a millionaire I'd drink it every day. 
"I'm 25, and I've received more notifications for funerals than invitations to weddings." -Lieutenant Sean Walsh, Tikrit, Iraq

jill the ripper

« Reply #52 on: 29 Apr 2008, 14:45 »

Good coffee is surprisingly expensive.
Like, most people don't realize how much labor goes into making coffee beans.
Or tea leaves, for that matter.

My friend and I were having a debate today on "Eastern" versus "Western" tea.
Green tea is nice, but I love me some Earl Grey with cream and sugar. ;]

petmilk

« Reply #53 on: 29 Apr 2008, 14:52 »

We totally have caribou on the east coast.

WHERE. i have not seen them in new york city.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #54 on: 14 May 2008, 22:38 »

Cold brewed coffee, for example Toddy or Filtron. It tastes like it smells.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Martinab

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #55 on: 07 Jun 2008, 09:08 »

@ LucyStag: You can buy beans at any coffee shop, and ask the people there to grind it really fine for Turkish coffee. Then you can boil a cup of water with a spoon of brown sugar in a small pot, and when it boils, remove from fire, add a spoon of your coffee, and carefully hold over the fire until it boils again and starts to rise. Repeat that 3 times (over the fire, away, over the fire, away), and you have a cup of wonderful turkish coffee as they drink it in Croatia. You might want to let it settle in a cup for a while, and be careful not to drink it all the way or you'll get that mud from the bottom of the cup into your mouth.

I'm happy with the beans that I find in the local shops and I like to experiment a bit with the flavours. If you're really into the original thing you had in Croatia, this online shop http://minosimports.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=fgc250&Category_Code=croatia sells the thing online. Let me know if you try it, I wonder if you'll remember the taste correctly or is it distorted by time and jet lag :)

Here, I try to avoid Starbucks because I'm scared of the big companies growing even bigger. My coffee of choice is a local place (has just 2 shops) in Cambridge, MA called "1369". I get my espressos and lattes and beans here, and I really like them.

catbhn21

« Reply #56 on: 09 Jun 2008, 14:15 »

Anything black and strong. But not bitter. I prefer Folgers over burnt tasting beans. To bring it back to the comic, I'd be scared to drink anything from the coffee of doom given their special board. But given the strip when Dora asks Marten if he actually served the stuff that he, Hannelore and Winslow managed to create, maybe it'd be good. Baristas are strange creatures. They hate to serve people who want stupid drinks but they take such pride in their stupid drinks. I've worked at coffee shops for years. It never fails to amaze me how much pride baristas take in doing something that they complain about so much.

genemichael

« Reply #57 on: 11 Jun 2008, 09:00 »

Bowie - it's called crema or latte art, and the milk foosher is called a steam wand, but I think I'm gonna call it the milk foosher from now on. I'm actually training a girl in the use of our wonderful espresso machine at the moment, and I'm as proud as punch that last night she produced some textbook jugs of milk. Now I just need to teach her how to pour properly... I think she's still a bit out of reach of latte art.

Actually, crema is the caramel colloured froth at the top of a shot of espresso. Once it turns white, it's called blonding, and the shot has over-extracted.

You folks should really check out Quail Run Coffee Roasters. Seriously good, extremely small batch roasting (1/2lb. at a time).

I wonder what Jeph would charge an independent roastery to be the Coffee of Doom coffee . . .

Betagold

• Emoticontraindication
  • THERE WILL BE NO EGGS OF ANY KIND!!
« Reply #58 on: 11 Jun 2008, 15:39 »

I don't drink coffee....

Although, for purposes of this thread, I might head down to the local coffee place, called the Boro Beanery, and pick up a cup of something.  Now, if only I knew what.

loam

« Reply #59 on: 11 Jun 2008, 20:25 »

@ LucyStag: You can buy beans at any coffee shop, and ask the people there to grind it really fine for Turkish coffee. Then you can boil a cup of water with a spoon of brown sugar in a small pot, and when it boils, remove from fire, add a spoon of your coffee, and carefully hold over the fire until it boils again and starts to rise. Repeat that 3 times (over the fire, away, over the fire, away), and you have a cup of wonderful turkish coffee as they drink it in Croatia. You might want to let it settle in a cup for a while, and be careful not to drink it all the way or you'll get that mud from the bottom of the cup into your mouth.

You can also toss some whole cloves and/or allspice in when you make your turkish - really good! There used to be a little place in Savannah, GA called Gallery Espresso that made it that way and had awesome coffee in general. Unfortunately they upsized and moved and started sucking before I graduated from college.

Back in my former home of Charlotte / Matthews NC I liked a place called Coffee & Cream in Matthews before it shut down (in '99 I think). The owners bought raw beans and roasted them at their house. I miss that place. There's another little indie shop on central (I think) that had good coffee. It's been a year or two since I went there though.

Here in LA I like the Borgouis Pig up in Hollywood, or in Venice The Cow's End or Novel Cafe.

I've got to say though that I usually like coffeeshops based more on the physical setting than the actual coffee. Namely: Do they have coof comfy spots to read and are the other customers not annoying as hell.

I'll assume that Coffee of Doom is awesome and they roast their own beans or buy from someone local who does :P The fresher the roast the better!
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2008, 20:29 by loam »

makara

« Reply #60 on: 12 Jun 2008, 06:06 »

Anybody near Ann Arbor, MI? I love Sweetwaters cafe :-) I can spend hours there.
Anybody near Alexandria, VA? St. Elmo's Coffee Pub is great, most of the coffee is fair trade, and best of all is the atmosphere.
Both have free internet too!

p.s. This doesn't count as coffee, but I can't live without Chai lattes!

xeracia

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #61 on: 12 Jun 2008, 08:18 »

I'm not a huge coffee person, but my husband is. He claims the coffee they serve at the Red Lobster here is the best he has ever had. When I go for something like coffee I go to a place called SweetBay and get the white chocolate mocha or their milky way.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #62 on: 14 Jun 2008, 06:53 »

Bowie - it's called crema or latte art,

Actually, crema is the caramel colloured froth at the top of a shot of espresso. Once it turns white, it's called blonding, and the shot has over-extracted.

Oh man embarrassing grammatical misunderstandings. What I meant was it's called (in my neck of the woods) both crema art and latte art. I am pretty sure I should know what crema is though! I have been a proper barista in assorted indie coffee shops for about five years. At my current job I have customers who will only get a coffee if I am on the machine! I am pretty proud of what I do, and I think pretty well informed.
(Sorry I get a bit shitty when people try to correct me on coffee.)

SleeperCylon

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #63 on: 17 Jun 2008, 15:51 »

The best common types of coffee I tend to find are Green Mountain and New England Coffee.

I'm sure I've had way better coffee than that but I can't remember where.  And definitely for lots more money.

jill the ripper

« Reply #64 on: 18 Jun 2008, 19:44 »

Here in LA I like the Borgouis Pig up in Hollywood
i pass that place twice a day on my way to highschool and back.
. . .you most probably know where i go to school now. ohhh welllll.

the daily planet, right next to them has awesome stuff. <3
hell. that entire neighborhood has awesome stuff.
hurrr.

and to be on topic, does anyone know how good the coffee is at
psychobabble cafe, in LA?
because i'm sort of afraid to go there.

BankHoldUp

• Emoticontraindication
  • Crescent Fresh!
« Reply #65 on: 26 Jun 2008, 10:51 »

There's a couple great local roasters here in Tucson:

Roaster X: This guy does coffee that will beat you up, take your wallet, steal your girlfriend, and slap your mother in the face with a wet fish... It's THAT bold, but, if you like dark roasts, this is coffee to drink. A number of shops around town use his coffee so it's easy to find and it is gooood stuff.

Adventure Organic: Awesome, awesome coffee...They have a huge variety of roasts and beans from all over the world; unfortunately they currently only sell by the pound (or half pound) at local farmers' markets, but they're usually roasting them fresh as the sell them, so its worth it to grind and make it yourself.
Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely - Siddhartha Gautama

loam

« Reply #66 on: 26 Jun 2008, 13:57 »

. . .you most probably know where i go to school now. ohhh welllll.

and to be on topic, does anyone know how good the coffee is at psychobabble cafe, in LA?
Hah - probably Imaculate Heart since it's right over there. Man if I lived there I would spend a huge amount of my time at the Pig. When I was in highschool Coffee & Cream was the hangout for my group of friends, and we were there ALL the time. It didn't hurt that it had an upstairs loft room deal that had couches and a TV. The stairs leading up to it had a sign saying "Employees Only".. but the owners let us use it.

I haven't been to psychobabble cafe - why would it be scary?

Roaster X: This guy does coffee that will beat you up, take your wallet, steal your girlfriend, and slap your mother in the face with a wet fish... It's THAT bold, but, if you like dark roasts, this is coffee to drink.
^that sounds AWESOME. Wish I could find something like that here.

jill the ripper

« Reply #67 on: 26 Jun 2008, 16:34 »

Hah - probably Immaculate Heart since it's right over there. Man if I lived there I would spend a huge amount of my time at the Pig. When I was in highschool Coffee & Cream was the hangout for my group of friends, and we were there ALL the time. It didn't hurt that it had an upstairs loft room deal that had couches and a TV. The stairs leading up to it had a sign saying "Employees Only".. but the owners let us use it.

I haven't been to psychobabble cafe - why would it be scary?
no, actually. i'd forgotten about I. H.
It's a few streets over, and commonly known to teenagers as Hipster High.
Man, teenage hangouts sound so cool. I've never had one, except the street corner outside the 711. But that wasn't nearly as cool as what you just described.
Hells, if I had any money at all, I would spend huge amounts of time at the Pig.

Psychobabble Cafe is usually deserted, for one. I've only seen people in it once, and at first I thought it was a cybercafe, but it turns out it wasn't.
It also smells funny.
Like cheese and burned paper. D:

trebach

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #68 on: 26 Jun 2008, 20:13 »

Near Williamsburg there's a place called Sacred Grounds. Their coffee is awesome, but it's ~20 miles away so I barely ever go.

wes

« Reply #69 on: 26 Jun 2008, 22:07 »

I do starbucks a lot, but only out of convenience and necessity (there is a drive through RIGHT beside my apartment and I commute).

but the best coffee I've had is a cup of chicory coffee from Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. Oh god. So good.
Luckily, that orange beacon of hope and beignets wasn't destroyed by Katrina.

**drool**

BankHoldUp

• Emoticontraindication
  • Crescent Fresh!
« Reply #70 on: 27 Jun 2008, 08:54 »

but the best coffee I've had is a cup of chicory coffee from Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. Oh god. So good.
Luckily, that orange beacon of hope and beignets wasn't destroyed by Katrina.

**drool**

Damn right...I order Cafe du Monde's coffee over the internetz occasionally, and it's good, but it's just not as incredible as the first cup I had from that place. Mmmmmm!

Oh yeah, the beignets are awesome too!
Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely - Siddhartha Gautama

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #71 on: 03 Jul 2008, 19:48 »

I just found a place a couple of blocks from my house called the Bridgeport Coffee House that's really great. It's very unpretentious despite having all sorts of deliciousness in it. I got a 16 oz. Mocha with ameretto and three shots of espresso that was totally awesome and read Steven Taylor's Roman Blood while listening to U2. Very nice time.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

SleeperCylon

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #72 on: 04 Jul 2008, 07:03 »

Oh yeah, there's this one great coffee place in Oberlin, Ohio.  I went there every day in college, first thing in the morning.  And at least when I left a large coffee was still $1.30.  I think it's called Java Zone, but I don't really remember.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #73 on: 04 Jul 2008, 11:03 »

Holy crap you guys, I'm holidaying in a small town in British Columbia for the next month, and.... oh, god. Starbucks is the best coffee gets out here. I'm having to rely on Starbucks. This is terrible. Horrible. I think I'm going to die unless I get a proper coffee soon.
I'm going to be travelling out to Vancouver and Victoria next week - Does Vancouver have any good, proper, coffee places? Please, someone, say yes.

StreetSpirit

• Obscure cultural reference
  • "Type "cookie", you idiot."
    • Last.FM
« Reply #74 on: 04 Jul 2008, 11:51 »

There are two American roasters that never cease to amaze me with their great coffee. A small company based out of Lexington, KY called Coffee Times (also known as Lexington Coffee and Tea) does a great job of importing coffee from varieties of nations that grow it and then roasting it to perfection using the whole spectrum of roasts (light - dark). The second company is a larger business based out of Portland, OR called Stump Town (paying homage to Portland's original nickname) that do a great job of importing and roasting extremely high quality coffee as well as establishing great working relationships with the farmers and workers that put forth a lot of effort to provide the coffee for Stump Town.
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!"
-The 10th Doctor (doctor who)

Bibliophile

• Emoticontraindication
  • <:3)~~
« Reply #75 on: 07 Jul 2008, 20:45 »

I just want to say that I bought Lunchy a cafe latte the other day and she said it was very good. So, good coffee is possible if you search far and wide (or two blocks down the road... which is even closer than the StarBucks...)

Squamish redeemed!
If television is a babysitter, the internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up.

Thlayli

« Reply #76 on: 07 Jul 2008, 21:35 »

The only independent coffee shop I've been to in the last year was a place called Crossroads, near Manchester Wall in Richmond VA. I doubt they do their own roasting, but it's a great place to hang out at on a Saturday. Used to be some sort of autoshop.

lauren!

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #77 on: 01 Aug 2008, 20:53 »

Tanzania Peaberry.  OMFG.  So good.
What's this about nudity?

druminor

« Reply #78 on: 02 Aug 2008, 20:51 »

i'm not too picky when it comes to coffee.  I tend to like Dilworth Coffee best.  I'm not sure but I think it's local to the area around Charlotte, NC.

cperry2

« Reply #79 on: 05 Aug 2008, 18:53 »

Two thumbs up for Green Mountain.

As an Ottawan I am obligated to suggest Bridgehead... and do so with pride. Fair Trade and an overall enlightening experience.

http://www.bridgehead.ca/

StreetSpirit

• Obscure cultural reference
  • "Type "cookie", you idiot."
    • Last.FM
« Reply #80 on: 05 Aug 2008, 20:42 »

Everyone needs to come visit me in Louisville because Heine Bros. and Highland's Coffee Company both brew/roast some wicked good coffee. Plus, this is pretty much the bourbon capital of the world!
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!"
-The 10th Doctor (doctor who)

cperry2

« Reply #81 on: 05 Aug 2008, 23:02 »

I don't think anyone should ever feel bad for liking any variety of coffee.  :roll: I guess there are socio-economic concerns (but is it FAIR TRADE guys), but sometimes I wonder why we aren't so worried about the other 90% of north american goods rooted in evil trade practices. But that is for another forum.

I like Starbucks, but I would probably like them more if they stayed local... It would be more mysterious and rare. On the other hand, there is something comforting about ubiquity - to a point. There is some fine line about ubiquity where comfort turns into frigidity. Beaudelaire's hyper-reality.

cperry2

« Reply #82 on: 05 Aug 2008, 23:04 »

Guys we need a poll, something like:

"Best brewing method?

Turkish
French press
Drip
etc"

and etc etc. Or maybe we could hold a series of polls to discover what the best overall coffee is for QC readers. I would be interested in knowing that.

hipster jesus

« Reply #83 on: 06 Aug 2008, 03:52 »

The best coffee shop where I live is a smallish place downtown called The Daily Grind. I don't even know if it's still open due to the fact that I live in a somewhat small town that recently got not one but two Starbucks... well, that and I haven't been in a while. Fortunately for them (assuming they've made it this long), one Starbucks, which just opened in February of this year, is supposed to be one of the 600 or so nationwide that will be shut down in the near future.

monkeybiz

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #84 on: 06 Aug 2008, 07:50 »

My dad bought a pound of the coffee that's eaten by some feral cat and then harvested when it shits out the beans once.

It was among the most delicious things I've ever tasted. I have refused to drink coffee since, as I know that I have reached the top of the mountain, and nothing else will ever compare.

skylinetrain

« Reply #85 on: 06 Aug 2008, 12:39 »

I'll admit that I go to Starbucks if it's the only place around, but all their coffee tastes like burnt dirt. I find Caribou (as far as chains go) to be better. As for local coffee shops, I'd have to go with Aurora Coffee in Little Five Points or Java Monkey in Decatur (both of these are in the great Atlanta, Georgia area). Though, I'd have to admit, tea is tops. It's easier to buy high quality tea, in my opinion, than it is to buy high quality coffee. Though, I have to note that the Teavana folks are swindlers.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #86 on: 06 Aug 2008, 15:03 »

I went to my favorite coffee house today! I don't know what type of bean they use, but they sell quite a few varieties (website here).
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

ifoundmystar

• Not quite a lurker
  • Oh, I was surprised to see you there!
    • Girl, whats yo MySpace?
« Reply #87 on: 17 Aug 2008, 15:54 »

Since there are 2 Starbucks within the parking lot at my work, I usually have to go there. (no, I'm serious. They're like 100 feet away from each other.) But being from northern IL, there are some pretty good independent coffee shops. In Fox Lake there is one called Happy Beans and in Spring Grove theres a newer place called Beva Cafe that also sells some delicious gelato.

But I love brewing Kona coffee at home.

billiumbean

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • "Clamsss... Waa!"
« Reply #88 on: 21 Aug 2008, 00:06 »

Anon?!

I thought I quit...  you...

:oops:
Quote from: Alex C
I do agree that this could potentially have some dire ramifications in regards to purple drank.

autumns_elegy

« Reply #89 on: 03 Sep 2008, 23:34 »

Best coffee I ever had was at the whole food store on campus. (Flinders uni in Australia)
Soy mocha. Oh yeah.

Ania

« Reply #90 on: 16 Sep 2008, 17:28 »

Hi Everyone!

Wow, starbucks must be pretty good in the US because here in Australia its horrible! - It tastes like dirty cloth water!
My coffee haunt which i frequent usually twice a day (its about 2 minutes away from my post-grad office) is Cafe Nanos at the University of Queensland, nestled into the Australian Institute of Biotechnology and Nanotechnology (AIBN). The owner, Nahn, makes the most amazing coffee!! Its the first thing when I do when i get into uni in the morning!

So if anyone ever visits Australia and happens to be at UQ (its very pretty), stop by at Nanos!
(And its only $2.70)

My coffee: Reg. Skinny flat white .. no sugar.. yum!
Ania
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up