THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 22:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does this game exist?  (Read 3252 times)

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
Does this game exist?
« on: 16 Sep 2008, 15:33 »

I'm looking for a particular type of game, and I'm not sure if it exists. Allow me to do my best to describe what's floating in my head:

Ideally, it would be multiplayer, but it can technically be single player with a good enough AI. The idea behind it being that the entire team would be on one air/spacecraft. The best real-world example I would think of for how this would work would be a B-17 Flying Fortress where there are various gun stations, a pilot, bombardier, etc.

This is similar, but different to the approach in the Unreal Tournament/Battlefield style of vehicles where you can take different spots on a vehicle, but this would be on a much larger scale, and it wouldn't be a FPS pulling double-duty; purely multiplayer flight sim.

Main reason I'm asking here is because most of the time when I think of something, I'd post up in a VG forum and someone would say "Oh! You mean [insert obscure title here]!"

What do you have?

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: Does this game exist?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2008, 17:04 »

that would be awesome, but no, can't think of any.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2008, 17:15 »

I would so be Yossarian.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2008, 17:46 »

Closest thing I can think of is the first British mission in Call of duty: United offensive. You can't fly, and the mission always goes the same way, but you are on a flying fortress and you can use different gun stations, starting off just one, but more and more as the mission goes all to hell. I would love something like that, though.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

StreetSpirit

• Obscure cultural reference
  • "Type "cookie", you idiot."
    • Last.FM
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2008, 18:16 »

I think you need to jump on refining, writing, and selling the idea before it gets taken out from under you, because it sounds like a great game idea.
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!"
-The 10th Doctor (doctor who)

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2008, 18:27 »

I would so be Yossarian.

Hey, you picked the good one.  Crap.  Now I'll probably get stuck with Aarfy or something.

I'll take Snowden and die with honor.
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2008, 21:38 »

Sort of how BF2142 handled Titans? Yeah, that would be awesome.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

fazzone

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2008, 16:10 »

Actually, this may not be technically what you mean, but going on with the B-17 example, IL-2 Sturmovik is a WWII flight simulator where online multiplayer coop matches can be arranged as you described, with one player the pilot, bombardier, gunners, etc., flying alongside single-seat fighters or other multi-crew aircraft.  Although the Fortress itself is not included as a flyable aircraft with cockpit textures itself, other, smaller contemporaries like the B-25, G4M1-11 'Betty', and A-20 are.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2008, 02:13 »

I would so be Yossarian.

Damn. Does this mean an enraged hooker is going to beat the shit out of me with a stiletto?
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2008, 02:32 »

Yes, but the two aren't necessarily related.  :wink:

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2008, 18:33 »

There is an ancient Lucasarts game called Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe that kind of let you do this, though I'm not sure if you could co-op in the same B-17. Normally you had the computer controlling all the other positions.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2008, 15:55 »

This is the single-player version of what you want. It's old, but I remember it getting good reviews.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2008, 02:42 »

That does look a lot easier on the eyes than Secret Weapons, and a HELL of a lot easier on the ears!. Comparison videos:

Mighty Eighth: Sucky vid, but best I can find that demonstrates all the B-17 positions, and has sound.

Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe: Skip to the 3 minute mark if you wanna skip all the pre-flight bullshit.

For comparison, Secret Weapons over Normandy looks very good, but it doesn't look like you can control where you are in the craft. If the mission puts you in the ball turret, that's where you are.

Got anything like this with a sci-fi bent? Where you're in a space-based battleship for instance? I'd imagine that would be easier to do, since you just need to do the stars and not terrain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up