THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 16:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: School DJ  (Read 4228 times)

Kingofcarrotflowers

School DJ
« on: 15 Sep 2008, 19:38 »

Sup Fools
I want to become a DJ for my school next year. The basic duties are DJing all the dances, which my school is pretty srs about.
Like the majority of you here I am an indie-rock fan first and foremost, but I am in no way adverse to or ignorant about current pop/hip-hop/thumping techno beatz.
So how should i go about learning to DJ? Im not about to go shell at $1000 for vinyl turntables and a shitload of vinyl. If its possible I'd like to DJ from a computer using mp3s. What program should I use? How can I practice, and what constitues improvement?
Thanksssss

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
Re: School DJ
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2008, 20:28 »

I've seen DJ-ing done with a mixing console and a laptop computer before.  The guy was using WinMX, which is like Limewire, Ares, Morpheus, etc.  That's one way to go about it.  Set out a sheet for requests and let the kids dance 'till they drop.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2008, 21:03 »

Oh sweet I've done this! An excellent DJ software to use is MixMeister. If you get that then you're pretty much set. Just bring yr laptop and the proper line-out cords.
it's time to stop posting

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2008, 21:59 »

If you still want to use vinyl but would like the convenience of being able to use music from your computer, there are plenty of "control vinyl" programs, the most prominent of which is probably Serato Scratch Live. The videos on Serato's web site give you a fair idea of what the program is all about. I believe NuMark, M-Audio and Stanton also make similar products, but Serato is definitely the one with the biggest reputation. It's used by DJ's like A-Trak, Jazzy Jay, Peanut Butter Wolf, Junior Sanchez, P Money and Z-Trip.

Essentially you have two pieces of "control vinyl" which you play on your turntables. These play a constant tone which allows the computer- which is connected via USB to a special "Scratch Amp" audio interface, which then connects to your mixer's Line Output- to know where the needle is on the vinyl, and how it is being manipulated. You can also easily switch to real vinyl mid-set if you wish.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2008, 23:40 »

As for the technical aspects of DJing, you could spend a bit of time learning how to beat-match and mix properly, but for a school dance I wouldn't bother. Just drop the fader down on one line at the same time as bringing it up on the other. Do this slowly and smoothly, and you'll be fine.

If you're not going to play songs completely through, then you'll need to basically familiarise yourself with the songs you want to play on the night and make note of breaks, drops,  intros, outros and all that kind of stuff, so you know where the good sections to mix from one song to another are, and how much time you have to do it.

Set selection and progression is one of the biggest aspects of being a good DJ, IMO. Basically if you play the songs that people want to hear and/or are good to dance to, you will be fine. This is what DJing is mostly about.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

3Z3VH

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2008, 23:46 »

Hmm... I wonder if anyone has ever made a program that uses the Aux ID3 tags to put fade-in/fade-out time and value info into each song.  If that software was made, you basically just get all your audio files, toss the proper fade on it and save, then just sit there and click a button each time someone makes a request.

Sure, it isn't perfect due to lack of beat matching or tonal matching, but as long as what you are playing is properly normalized and faded, there is not much to worry about, unless you plan to do this for a living.
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2008, 00:03 »

Guys this is why MixMeister is cool--it does that stuff for you! It has the BPM and the key (although it's kind of iffy at determining the key) and such, and it will beat match for you. If you're lazy.

I'm not that lazy.
it's time to stop posting

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2008, 00:36 »

Most of the control vinyl programs have the ability to assign cue and loop points as well. Serato certainly does.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2008, 12:27 »

Basically, just listen to Anna and get MixMeister.

It is probably The Best ProgramTM.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2008, 12:45 »

I've always heard of people who use virtual dj. I don't know how it compares to mix meister.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Kingofcarrotflowers

« Reply #10 on: 16 Sep 2008, 16:04 »

Thanks for the advice guys. I've started practicing with virtualDJ. Mechanically its quite easy to use, but I find myself getting stuck only on songs of a similar BPM, since thats what you can beatmatch. Is there anyway to skip between tracks with quite different tempos, or should i play groupings of tracks with similar BPMs for beatmatching and just let a track run through to switch between groupings?

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2008, 16:49 »

There's a few ways.

Some DJs basically pick a bpm and stick to it for the whole set, for example most drum n bass tunes are written around 160 bpm, so DJs basically sit on this for all of the set. You can drop in half-time tracks (ie. 80 bpm) to break it up a bit if it's getting monotonous, or you want to have a bit of a lull in your set before cranking it up again. 

With regular pitch/tempo shifting, you should be able to change tracks from at least +/- 80 bpm (I think it's probably more, but it's been a long time since I've done any of this stuff), so you should be able to get most tunes into a similar bpm, either at the same tempo, or half-time.

If you want to play tunes with radically different bpms, this is where knowing your tunes comes in. Basically you want to mix in in the bits of songs where there is no beat. Or gradually slide the pitch shifter down to approach the tempo of the slower track, or up for a faster track (while you have the track you're mixing into going in your headphones, of course).

This might seem obvious, but generally if you're playing a whole bunch of songs with different tempos you want to go from slow to fast over the course of your set. People can get quite put off if they've been rocking out at 180 and suddenly you play a bunch of things at 100 or something.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Dragonzero

« Reply #12 on: 17 Sep 2008, 13:48 »

As many people above have said there are a few ways to do this. If you don't want to actually go out and buy turntables just yet, a laptop DJ isn't a bad idea. Essentially it does alot of the work for you, making sure levels are right and beatmatching etc... When it comes to laptops you have a few options. First you could just go the most basic and just use a program solely for your sets. Most DJ programs (Ableton, Traktor, Virtual DJ) will be fine for your purposes since it seems like your not doing anything too complicated. All you will have to due is cue up your tracks where you want and then you can adjust the volumes and throw in a few effects here and there. If you want a little more freedom though and are willing to spend a little buying a MIDI controller to go with your program will probably allow you some more freedom, you will be able to assign certain functions from your program to the controller allowing you be a little fancier.

Also what you were asking about mixing drastically different BPM tracks. Along with what was mentioned above, throwing an acapella on, mixing out the first track and then mixing in the new track is another good option. Hope all that helped.

bbqrocks

« Reply #13 on: 17 Sep 2008, 14:01 »

Man, I DJed a school dance once, and was gonna DJ the rest- until I realized they wanted to hear shit they liked, not some trance.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #14 on: 17 Sep 2008, 16:07 »

Man, I DJed a school dance once, and was gonna DJ the rest- until I realized they wanted to hear shit they liked, not some trance.
[/quote

Nobody wants to hear trance
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #15 on: 17 Sep 2008, 16:10 »

I got the DJ at my girlfriend's high school homecoming dance to play Caustic Window's "Cunt".  It's not my fault he didn't listen to it before putting it on.  We and our friends had a great time dancing to it, but the DJ had to apologize to the rest of the crowd afterwards.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft
Pages: [1]   Go Up