Fun Stuff > BAND

Dark Americana / Southern Gothic recommendations

<< < (2/11) > >>

rynne:
Thanks for the replies!  Comments on what's been suggested so far:

16 Horsepower, Woven Hand: yes, yes, yes.  This is exactly the kind of music I was looking for.  I remember seeing a 16 Horsepower video a long time ago and thinking it was cool, but they got lost in the shuffle and I forgot about them.  Woven Hand is the new project of their singer?  I will definitely be checking both of those bands out.

Elliot Brood: Some of the songs are a bit more upbeat than I was aiming for, but I like it.  From what I can find on YouTube, "Second Son" and "President 35" are great.

Red House Painters: Mmm... nice but too much mellow indie influence.  I kinda want a band that sounds like a Cormac McCarthy novel reads.

Rex: I can't find anything?  Googling "Rex" or searching on YouTube brings up too many bands that are obviously not the one you're talking about.

TheFuriousWombat:
I also suggest Vic Chestnut (a truly amazing singer/songwriter and a wonderful performer to boot). Listen to the album "North Star Deserter."

tuna ketchup x:
PHOSPHORESCENT. Close thread now.

imapiratearg:

--- Quote from: rynne on 09 Sep 2008, 12:17 ---Red House Painters: Mmm... nice but too much mellow indie influence.  I kinda want a band that sounds like a Cormac McCarthy novel reads.

--- End quote ---

Hmm, even his early stuff like Down Colorful Hill?  Initially, I was just making a guess.

rynne:
Sorry, from what I could ferret out, it doesn't strike me as what I was looking for.  It wasn't a bad suggestion, they just don't fit in to what I'm craving right now, you know? 

Admittedly, I'm having a bit of difficultly describing the sound in words: it's almost an I'll-know-it-when-I-hear-it situation.  I figured saying "This appeals to me, that doesn't" was as good a way as any of conveying the qualities I was interested in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version