AMAZING BOOOOOOOK
- 12 (10.1%)
Stephenie Meyer is a GENIUS
- 4 (3.4%)
You're all wanks
- 103 (86.6%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Twilight Series  (Read 179047 times)

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
Twilight Series
« on: 11 Sep 2008, 00:21 »

Ok, so I have been meaning to start a thread about these books for the past few days since I decided to reread them all rather than write an essay.

Now, I have read all of the books, and enjoyed reading them, but I will be the first to admit that they are pretty average books. I have a weak spot for vampire stories, so this series is appealing in that sense, but at the same time I am not a rabid fangirl frothing at the mouth to see the movie.

If I had to simplify why I don't overly like the books, it would be because they are, in essence, trashy teenage stories; y'know, the kinds of books you read when you're on holiday and don't want to have to think that much. You know how it's going to end, because it's predictably set out in a certain way. It the whole "boy meets girl; girl falls in love but doesn't know boy loves her; ditto for the boy; they realise; a challenger appears; LOVE TRIANGLE; boy and girl end up together" It's been done before (and done better, really) so it's more of an ironic enjoyment - they're so bad they're good kind of deal. In that vein the movie is probably going to be trashy as well. I am going to go see it, but I don't expect a film masterpiece that will go down in history; the books they're working off aren't that, so why should the movies be any different?

What do you think of the series? Do you love them, hate them, don't see what the big deal is about them?
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Re: Twilight Series
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2008, 00:39 »

The people who I've met that read the Twilight series don't really read other books.

I think that frustrates me the most.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2008, 01:25 »

At least it's not the Anita Blake series.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2008, 02:29 »

Hamilton, always without fail, manages to successfully fill my crap quota for roughly 3 months.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2008, 08:16 »

Rachel's been obsessed with this garbage for a month or two now. As she read through them, I would peak in on it here or there to see what all the fuss was about. It's really just absolute dreck in every manner possible. It really reads like some teenage girl's LiveJournal and hey, that may be the point, but that doesn't save it from being garbage.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

tuna ketchup x

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2008, 09:18 »

Vampire stories have been ruined for me ever since I was in a fantasy writing group and had to read a middle-aged man's epic novel about a polyamorous bisexual vampiress. No thank you, ma'am!

I for one want to see more trashy romance novels about a) cyborgs b) steam-powered mechanical pegasi c) Homo florensiensis. Vampires are SO OLD.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2008, 12:55 »

The problem that I think Twilight has, not that it matters now that it's on track to be the next Harry Potter, is that it'll probably alienate boys of a certain age due to the emphasis on the love story that comes from the perspective of the girl protagonist (correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm not really interested because for one, I never really liked Harry Potter and I'm not likely to like this, but there's another, better reason. Thing is, vampire fiction is played out. It really is. There's not a fresh angle on the fucking thing. Vampires as teh gayz? done. Vampires as embodiment of sex? Goes back to Bram Stoker. Vampires as addicts? done. Vampires as predators / humans as prey? done. Vampires as Gods? done. Demons? done. Angels? done. Superheroes? done. Moral decay amongst the youths? done. You name it, it's been explored. Not that there's anything wrong with tilling old fields, but you have to be of a certain mind to enjoy it.

Honestly I'm surprised it took them this long to bring vampire lit to the kiddie market. They've already discovered that vampires make for an endless supply of Bodice-Ripper pulp and of course they're mainstays of horror.

Better than zombies at least, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2008, 12:57 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2008, 13:05 »

Twilight, no matter how much I enjoy it in a very ironic way, will never be "the next Harry Potter." The series is done. Boom. Not enough time between books, the writing not as good, everything. The Harry Potter series and movie franchise are huge. People from all age groups and cultural groups love them. Just not the Catholic church, but whatever. Twilight does not and will not appear to that large of any audience.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2008, 13:10 »

Dunno, it seemed to make a pretty huge dent at Comic-Con. Lots and lots of kids there just for Twilight, homemade shirts and everything.

I'm predicting it will reach at least Goosebumps-level popularity.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2008, 13:13 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2008, 14:27 »

My sister and her best friend really seemed to enjoy it, so I gave the Twilight series a whirl and gave up halfway through the second novel.  I think the series is vapid shit. I recognize that it is essentially a teen romance novel, but that excuse doesn't hold water forever. A largely romantic story can still be very interesting. Romance can be a great storytelling tool because it can put various qualties of the characters and how they relate to the world in stark relief. Stories like Casa Blanca and Gone With The Wind are good examples. In such stories the characters have things they give a crap about outside of love and romance and even have greater values and breaking points to which even relationships must give way. At the end of the story, you know what kind of people they are. To put it bluntly, Twilight's protagonist is largely a character without any apparent moral character. This isn't to say she's a bad person, just that I read a novel and a half without seeing her defined by anything but longing (and apparently, clumsiness).
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2008, 14:30 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Yakob

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2008, 15:50 »

You ungrateful little turds.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2008, 16:33 »

John, Goosebumps was a huge series of books that went on for a long time. Harry Potter was spread out over ages. The Twilight series is done; no more books, Meyer is moving on to other vapid trash (There was supposed to be a version of the first book done in Edward's perspective, but the first 12 chapters got leaked online and she chucked the shits and put in on hold indefinitely). The only way the series gets any bigger will be from the movies, but even then I am pretty sure people will forget about it all pretty quickly. It's not different enough to keep people interested, and not well written enough to be an average story that stays popular.

I do have a big issue with the characterisation. Bella is a terribly pathetic character; you don't feel all that interested in her throughout the books and it's mostly in her perspective. In fact, none of them are particularly engaging characters, because there's not that much description of them. Bella is clumsy, loves Edward (Oh no wait, she loves Jacob too, scandal!), wants to be a vampire. That's it. Oh wait, she smells delicious and everyone wants to kill her. Edward loves Bella, is crazy overprotective, doesn't want to turn her into a vampire, and is GORGEOUS. Wow, great couple there. It's just very shallow; Meyer's writing has kind of gotten better over time, but Host has the same kind of pathetic main character (and goddamn love triangle) as this, so maybe she just likes having weak lady protagonists?

It really does read like a teenage version of a penny dreadful. I have read a fair amount of those kind of books and it has been much better. I've read worse, but  don't get why people obsess over them. The only good thing about having such little characterisation in the book means the readers can create whatever kind of fantasy they want and it won't seem that out of the ordinary. Hmmm, I wonder what kind of fanfics there are out there...
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2008, 16:46 »

Point taken.

*edit - blast, that isn't as blue as I remember it being.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2008, 16:48 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2008, 18:06 »

I think what we should really just say here is that vampires just bite.  No, suck.  Blow?
They are too good as villains to be wasted as whiny-ass protagonists.
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #14 on: 13 Sep 2008, 12:21 »

I think it just bothers me that the two main characters are as text book gary and mary - sue as possible. Also, they apparently are soulmate based on two facts 1) she smells nice 2) he's pretty.

Seriously, I might not mind if SM didn't feel the need to mention the fact that he had a piercing gaze every paragraph.

Seriously, it's fine if you're reading it as trashy fun. But good god they fall in deep forever love pretty much at first sight. Also, if you're going to have over half the book where the one of the main male leads is 'unexpectedly' a vampire, please don't put that on the back. rgrgrg.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #15 on: 13 Sep 2008, 12:52 »

They are too good as villains to be wasted as whiny-ass protagonists.
Ah, but their eternal, all-encompassing and important angst and their everlasting youth/beauty are exactly what makes them so appealing to teenagers. Being pretty, invincible and unique but being terribly morose about everything are what being a teen is all about!
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2008, 12:54 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #16 on: 13 Sep 2008, 15:13 »

Stephenie Meyer is a Mormon.

How many questions did I just answer then? C'mon gimme a figure.

ashashash

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #17 on: 13 Sep 2008, 19:33 »

Man, I do not see what the big deal about these books is.  People write / publish / read / become fanatic about absolute shit all the time; these books seem entirely too bland for me to either read or actively hate.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #18 on: 13 Sep 2008, 23:53 »

This may be the most retarded thing I've seen you post? Just maybe.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #19 on: 14 Sep 2008, 13:47 »

Man, I do not see what the big deal about these books is.  People write / publish / read / become fanatic about absolute shit all the time; these books seem entirely too bland for me to either read or actively hate.

Eh, I only actively hated them as I was reading them. They're really only noteworthy thanks to sheer notoriety. It's like some kind of weird, idiotic feedback loop.

slinkyindieninja

• Plantmonster
« Reply #20 on: 14 Sep 2008, 17:31 »

Hamilton, always without fail, manages to successfully fill my crap quota for roughly 3 months.

Yes. I read the next Anita Blake, for some reason, even though I know that it will be shittier than the last, and then I can read Serious Difficult Prose for a long time after that brain holiday.

BrilliantEraser

• The German Chancellory building
  • We're kings among runaways
    • Brilliant Eraser Productions
« Reply #21 on: 14 Sep 2008, 18:00 »

One of my good friends had a good point about the series. Vapid bullshit aside, the love interest is as three-dimensional as a sheet of paper. All of his lines can effectively be replaced with "I love you, but shit, I'm a vampire."
Quote from: Khar
*bloop bloop bloop*

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #22 on: 15 Sep 2008, 01:19 »

I read about 40 pages of the first book in the series, because one of my close (female) friends was always carrying it around and going on about how great it was. The only thing that kept me reading even that long was sheer incredulity at how god-awful it was.

I had to read an entire Thomas Pynchon novel to get the stupid out of my brain.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #23 on: 15 Sep 2008, 05:30 »

Everyone on the Nerdfighters website adores these books.  They also are rabid Harry Potter fans, but I am not one to judge.
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2008, 09:41 by imapiratearg »

tuna ketchup x

« Reply #24 on: 15 Sep 2008, 07:22 »

This may be the most retarded thing I've seen you post? Just maybe.

Well to be fair there aren't any good (non-ex) Mormon writers that I can think of. The first two Ender books = the pinnacle of Mormon literary culture? I guess they're too busy raisin' babies to practice writing.

The protagonist's name is BELLA? Holy christ. I'm going to have to get these out just for the larfs now. Although if they're making a movie I'll just wait for that and larf at it. This has to be worse than most of the crap written for Nanowrimo. How many more trees must die?!?

ETA: After reading the summaries of the books on Wikipedia (half our office is out due to power outages, including all the people I type for, so I'm going to have a long lazy nothing day), there is a definite Mormon theme to them. Namely that marriage and family is the most important thing a woman can attain, enough so that she sacrifices her ties with the human world to marry her One True Love and have kids ASAP. And the battle between the "alabaster" vampires and the Native American werewolves. And that the main character doesn't have sex until marriage, because the righteous vampire told her they had to get married first. NRB is right, this is Mormon fiction. (And like no offense to any practicing Mormons who might post here, but like, your church is sort of a cult. Even more than regular Christianity. Oh now I've gone and offended Christians too.)
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2008, 08:30 by tuna ketchup x »

imagist42

« Reply #25 on: 15 Sep 2008, 09:49 »

Stephenie Meyer is a twat, and this is "Mormon fiction," but saying "Stephanie Meyer is a Mormon" should not "answer questions."

Card still manages to produce some decent stories, even with the Mormon spotlight on him (I quite like his contemporary fantasy thing, Magic Street). I know oh-so-many people despise The Killers, but Brandon Flowers is Mormon? I mean he doesn't seem the type, does he? But he is. That dude who was behind the original Battlestar Galactica series (comparatively terrible and pretty blatantly Mormon, it was originally called Adam's Ark, but still) and pretty instrumental in a couple other classics, like Magnum P.I. and Knight Rider? Yeah. Gladys Knight? I hate to say them because they don't help the image, but the Osmonds? That dude from The Aquabats, and... oih yeah, Alan Sparhawk. That's right, the guy behind Low.

All I am saying is being Mormon is not mutually exclusive with being an awesome person. I am not defending Stephenie Meyer, as frankly I think her work is bunk and her prominence (especially in the "cult"ure of Utah and Idaho, which is pretty embarassing, I mean those people have put their own weird twist on the fundamentals and simply taken it far too far) is unwarranted, but you've got to recognize that NRB's post was pretty retarded.
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2008, 10:06 by imagist42 »
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #26 on: 15 Sep 2008, 09:57 »

I find it ironic when people exhibit their great offense towards something by using the word retarded.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #27 on: 15 Sep 2008, 10:01 »

And the battle between the "alabaster" vampires and the Native American werewolves.

I take issue with how you're spinning that bit, considering the generally positive portrayal of the Native American werewolves. For the most part they're the good guys.

tuna ketchup x

« Reply #28 on: 15 Sep 2008, 11:32 »

And the battle between the "alabaster" vampires and the Native American werewolves.

I take issue with how you're spinning that bit, considering the generally positive portrayal of the Native American werewolves. For the most part they're the good guys.

I didn't know whether they were good or bad, it just reminded me of the (epic!1!) battle between the Lamanites and the Nephites. Also that people turn paler when they become vampires, yeah that's true with other vampires too cause there's no blood, but Mormon mythology says good spirits are rewarded by being white in this life. Of course they canceled that bit of doctrine when it became politically indefensible, but the fundamentalists still believe it. When's a brother vampire gonna get a break?

I did not know Alan Sparhawk was Mormon. Learn something every day! Of course I've never noticed a Mormon or even religious theme in Low's music so it's not quite the same as Meyer. But no, I don't think people are automatically uncool if they're Mormon. The only true uncool religion is Scientology. And before someone says it, no, I don't buy Beck's albums.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #29 on: 15 Sep 2008, 11:41 »

I like to pretend that Scientologists are really operating the whole thing as an elaborate front so they can have what amounts to self-sustaining, untaxed country clubs. The batshit insane stuff they spew out is just there to drive off people they don't want joining anyway. Crazy conspiracy theory? Maybe, but I find it easier on my sanity than thinking they actually believe that crap.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #30 on: 15 Sep 2008, 11:42 »

So...midnight sun.  The lame 'and you'll never see the rest of it ever again because i'm put out waah' seems incredibly immature.  It is rumored that Midnight Sun itself is a piece of work that Meyer wrote because the characterization of Edward is so bad that Robert Pattinson couldn't figure out his motivations well enough to act him in the upcoming movie.  The way she handled its leakage makes it seem like she's trying to punish someone, but to her own admission, the leak wasn't even malicious.  The writing isn't anywhere near rewarding, as she writes Edward not like the supposedly magnanimous, selfless, wise centuagenarian that she's previously described him as being, but a petulant near-adult who is bored by being in high school. Is that aspect ever explained?  Why is a vampire in high school?  Why does he bother?
The stories read like shameless wish fulfillment fantasy, a fact that becomes painfully clear in the fourth book, which concludes with 200 pages of every character remarking what a great vampire the already Mary Sueish character has become.  She mentions basing the character on her own experiences, even the ridiculous manner in which Bella is hounded at her new school.  If you decide to delve further into the crevices of this self indulgent website, you can find pictures of an event called 'Eclipse Prom,' which is... a prom, thrown for the release of Eclipse.  There are 'lookalike contests' for the two main Garys, Jacob and Edward.  In this picture, Meyer herself poses as Bella.

As they say in fandom, 'squick'worthy.

tuna ketchup x

« Reply #31 on: 15 Sep 2008, 12:02 »

Immature AND unprofessional. It's unfortunate that your baby got out before you were happy with it, but it happens. And this isn't like a locked diary getting published; this is something meant for publication. It would be like a director pulling a plug on a film because a badly cut bootleg was being sold in Hong Kong.

Articles I've read from ex-Scientologists who were not celebrities or high-ranking members have led me to believe it's not just a front. Or it is, but there are people who are gullible enough or hopeless enough to grasp at anything. Those people give away their fortunes to the cult, sign "billion year contracts" that bind them to working at the cult's centers for looong hours, lose their connections with their families, etc. Regular cult stuff. I read that once you reach OT III (the Xenu story) most people start to disbelieve but at that point you've already poured so much of your time and money into $ology that you feel compelled to stay. And also you get treated better once you reach that stage. But still not as good as a celebrity. But I have read that recruitment rates among regular folks are way down since that South Park episode, so yay! Of course Will Smith is now a $ologist, so boo to that. But now I guess I'm getting off track with this. One of my major college papers was on $ology so I'm always frothing at the mouth to talk about it.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #32 on: 15 Sep 2008, 13:58 »

Religions can and do have a tendency to bleed into one's own works. Tuna Ketchup x hit the nail on the head. Imagist, you just interpreted it as an outright insult.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #33 on: 15 Sep 2008, 21:12 »

That's because you phrased it as an insult. You could try leading with your well-reasoned arguments next time, so that other people don't have to fill them in for you.

imagist42

« Reply #34 on: 15 Sep 2008, 21:34 »

Man, I do not take things to be insulting that are not pretty blatantly insulting. I mean, I am a chill guy but even my immediate reaction was "WTF?"

Also, religion "bleeding" into works is a wholly separate thing from religion founding and defining works. The former can actually be pretty interesting. What Stephenie Meyer does is the latter, and it is not so much.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #35 on: 15 Sep 2008, 21:59 »

I found the characters completely boring, the purple prose was done poorly (read william gibson for an example of how to do it right, very descriptive without being repetitive or boring, I hear H.P. Lovecraft did it well too, the excerpts I have seen are good, though I haven't read any of his stories in full), and the story was really bland, I got to the beach party the first night I was reading it and haven't picked up the book again. My female friends love the books, and my best friend has twilight bumper stickers on his laptop, which I taunt him about endlessly.

I do owe Stephanie Meyers something, though. She has at least convinced me that even people without any talent for writing whatsoever can get published, so I don't feel so worried about the quality of my own writing.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

jill the ripper

« Reply #36 on: 16 Sep 2008, 16:28 »

I read the first two of those. A lot of my friends are giant fans of it.
Harry Potter level fans.

They aren't that great. They're cute, and entertaining at the time, but the writing sort of static and the plot is passable at best.
I'm also really, really tired of good vampires.

I mean, really.
God.

"Vegetarian Vampire" has really gotten old.

Nodaisho

« Reply #37 on: 16 Sep 2008, 17:44 »

You know what I want to see? A vampire novel with vampires that follow the rules of the vampires in Dracula. Sunlight is still their weakness, but that is just because they don't have their powers in the sun, and it is much easier to decapitate someone when they can't turn into a swarm of bats.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #38 on: 17 Sep 2008, 00:32 »

My favourite vampire is in the Preacher comic book series, Cassidy was such a jerk.

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #39 on: 17 Sep 2008, 00:53 »

It's wasn't entirely his fault, he didn't know how to be a man.

Hellboy has some great vampires, mostly because of the cultural variations.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #40 on: 17 Sep 2008, 01:05 »

I've had at least 4 people (all girls) come up to me and say "OMG Phill, you NEED to read Twilight."  My response is always the same "Sorry, I read real books."  When they try to say that Twilight is, in fact, a real book I say "Sorry, by real book I mean something that's actually read by people who read....stuff like Trainspotting, Breakfast of Champions, Hyperion, Grapes of Wrath."

We had a discussion about how Dean Koontz and Stephen King are like the hamburgers of the literary world...sometimes you'd rather chow down on a hamburger than a steak. Stuff like Twilight is the McDonald's of the literary world.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #41 on: 17 Sep 2008, 01:46 »

It's wasn't entirely his fault, he didn't know how to be a man.

Which, in part made him an interesting vampire.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #42 on: 17 Sep 2008, 13:24 »

You know what I want to see? A vampire novel with vampires that follow the rules of the vampires in Dracula.

Carpe Jugulum?
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Betagold

• Emoticontraindication
  • THERE WILL BE NO EGGS OF ANY KIND!!
« Reply #43 on: 17 Sep 2008, 18:19 »

I'm going to be reading it shortly.  Just to get it over with.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #44 on: 17 Sep 2008, 20:06 »

I've had at least 4 people (all girls) come up to me and say "OMG Phill, you NEED to read Twilight."  My response is always the same "Sorry, I read real books."  When they try to say that Twilight is, in fact, a real book I say "Sorry, by real book I mean something that's actually read by people who read....stuff like Trainspotting, Breakfast of Champions, Hyperion, Grapes of Wrath."

We had a discussion about how Dean Koontz and Stephen King are like the hamburgers of the literary world...sometimes you'd rather chow down on a hamburger than a steak. Stuff like Twilight is the McDonald's of the literary world.
And Stephanie Meyer as the McDonalds executive who becomes flustered and points to the salad on the menu, "take this seriously as nutrition/literature"

Broken analogy but I'll bet there's a point buried in there (under grease and clumsy prose). Also, Trainspotting = Deep fried Mars Bar washed down with Irn-Bru, which is to say, an experience.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2008, 20:09 by tomselleck69 »
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Nodaisho

« Reply #45 on: 17 Sep 2008, 20:27 »

You know what I want to see? A vampire novel with vampires that follow the rules of the vampires in Dracula.

Carpe Jugulum?

They were hurt by sunlight, weren't they? And then they became immune to just about everything, until they got weatherwaxed.

None of my... five friends, I think, that read twilight told me I had to read it, I think they know me better than that. I decided to read it so I would know what I was making fun of my friend for reading when I told him he was reading a girly book. I still need to give it back to him.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #46 on: 17 Sep 2008, 20:58 »

You know what I want to see? A vampire novel with vampires that follow the rules of the vampires in Dracula. Sunlight is still their weakness, but that is just because they don't have their powers in the sun, and it is much easier to decapitate someone when they can't turn into a swarm of bats.

There are no official vampire rules. Bram Stoker did not invent the vampire, he was just one of the first to turn the vampire in a sophisticated figure instead of something out of a folk tale. I would rather have people writing about vampires use their own ideas and not copying someone else's.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Nodaisho

« Reply #47 on: 17 Sep 2008, 21:23 »

So? Ask someone to name a vampire out of the blue, and most will say dracula. That is what everyone thinks of. Sure, he made it up by doing research on all the folk tales, but his vampire is the iconic one. Lets face it, just about nobody makes up their own vampires anymore. Just about every one dies from a stake through the heart, being lit on fire (though nobody ever seems to use it) decapitation (same), sunlight (which I have heard came from Nosferatu), and has superhuman strength and speed. The necessity of a coffin is one of the less-agreed-upon ones. Meyers made up her own vampires, but made them into instant mar(t)y-sues, who would be just about impossible to kill, so you have to wonder why they feel it necessary to hide their being vampires, maybe they are allergic to having mallgoths squee at them?

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #48 on: 17 Sep 2008, 21:32 »

You should read Peeps by Scott Westerfeld if you want original vampires. It's really an interesting way of tackling the 'vampire' idea while making it sound fairly logical scientifically. Probably one of my favourite vampire stories, actually.
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Nodaisho

« Reply #49 on: 17 Sep 2008, 21:40 »

I'll do that. I am at the library tomorrow, maybe they will have it. The main problem I see with having Dracula-ish vampires is the amount of power they have, it would be more difficult to use them as enemies when there are very limited circumstances for when you can kill him. I actually haven't read the original novel, I should, library will probably have it, did that include the having to get permission to enter a home?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up