AMAZING BOOOOOOOK
- 12 (10.1%)
Stephenie Meyer is a GENIUS
- 4 (3.4%)
You're all wanks
- 103 (86.6%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Twilight Series  (Read 179064 times)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Re: Twilight Series
« Reply #50 on: 17 Sep 2008, 23:28 »

I really need to pull out my Anne Rice books and slip them into Han's bag while she's not looking so that she can love/hate them.

oh hey, hello pagebreak.

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #51 on: 18 Sep 2008, 07:04 »

I wish I could add my two cents, but I refuse to read these books on principle. I read Dracula and I've seen Nosferatu and I'm a huge fan of Buffy. Vampire literature and media is something I actually take interest in. I would hate to see it trivialized as some love-story bilge.

And, though I haven't read them, I will never believe that they are anything close to "the next Harry Potter." Though I understand that there is a massive fanbase - I am going to assume that it's a) mostly from English-speaking countries, b) mostly female and c) mostly under the age of 18.

Harry Potter has at least 60 authorized translations, including Latin and Ancient Greek. Its fanbase is so wide that even my Grandma has read it. Yeah well, if you knew her you'd understand. It spawned a cultural phenomenon. It's sad to say but it's partially responsible for the literacy of a generation. It's not exactly great prose, but it's a start.

And if I hear one more pre-teen girl say, "Edward Cullen, why so sullen?" I'm going to...I'd threaten something, but probably I will just become very annoyed.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #52 on: 18 Sep 2008, 07:49 »

So? Ask someone to name a vampire out of the blue, and most will say dracula. That is what everyone thinks of. Sure, he made it up by doing research on all the folk tales, but his vampire is the iconic one. Lets face it, just about nobody makes up their own vampires anymore. Just about every one dies from a stake through the heart, being lit on fire (though nobody ever seems to use it) decapitation (same), sunlight (which I have heard came from Nosferatu), and has superhuman strength and speed. The necessity of a coffin is one of the less-agreed-upon ones. Meyers made up her own vampires, but made them into instant mar(t)y-sues, who would be just about impossible to kill, so you have to wonder why they feel it necessary to hide their being vampires, maybe they are allergic to having mallgoths squee at them?

Dracula may be the name everyone associates, but Dracula's definition is not the common one. Ask anyone on the streets what the sure fire way to kill a vampire is and they'll probably say sunlight. That's been the method in most mainstream literature concerning vampires in the last maybe forty years.

And the stake through the heart thing's actually been pretty little used the last few decades. It's considered bunk in the Vampire Chronicles and World of Darkness RPGs, which I'd say are probably the absolute biggest reference points in terms of sheer popularity and general knowledge (Especially considering WoD seems to take many of its defining aspects from Rice's books).

Being lit on fire's actually an incredibly common one in my experiences. In Rice's books, it was one of only two surefire ways to kill a vampire (With only two real exceptions to the rule) and even then you had to spread the ashes or there was the risk of them reforming.

The only real specific convention that seems to permeate all vampire literature is that they drink blood. Nothing else seems to carry over to absolutely everything.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

jessco

« Reply #53 on: 18 Sep 2008, 10:45 »

Meh, I've read the series.  I think the reason it's now ten times more popular than Anne Rice ever was is probably because it's on a high school reading level and so it's pretty easy to surf through those books in a couple days.  It has a good old fashioned angst to it that everyone loves.

I thought the whole sunlight turning the skin into rainbow brites was kind of interesting.  (Versus the usual burned to cinders alternative)

And after reading a ton of Laurell K. Hamilton smut, it's a relief to find a vampire series that isn't about sex. 

I'm not all about the constant martyr aspect that gets almost TOO annoying sometimes with the main characters.  But all in all it wasn't terribly written.  I think a lot of the disdain some people have for it might simply come from its overwhelming popularity.

To each his own.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #54 on: 18 Sep 2008, 10:52 »

Haha. You're kidding right? This shit doesn't even touch the level of fervor over Anne Rice at her peak. People used to gobble her shit up ad nauseum. Twilight's never going to hit that and is probably hitting its peak after the first movie. There are people out there who base their lives on Anne Rice's books, Twilight fever will die out once the vapid teenagers adoring it right now graduate high school. Shit, does anyone remember when Spiderwick Chronicles and Eragon were supposed to be the second coming of Harry Potter? For that matter, does anyone even remember Spiderwick Chronichles and Eragon to begin with?

Also, I sincerely doubt the hate towards it is due to its popularity. It is, all in all, terribly written shit and that is why it's popular. It is just out and out bad with no real redeeming qualities, sophomoric to the core. All this is coming from a dude who reads about dudes in spandex beating each other up. Fucking Spider-Man is closer to quality literature than this dreck.
JON MADE ME GAY

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #55 on: 18 Sep 2008, 12:04 »

And after reading a ton of Laurell K. Hamilton smut, it's a relief to find a vampire series that isn't about sex. 

Are you sure you've read the entire series?
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #56 on: 18 Sep 2008, 19:25 »

So? Ask someone to name a vampire out of the blue, and most will say dracula. That is what everyone thinks of. Sure, he made it up by doing research on all the folk tales, but his vampire is the iconic one. Lets face it, just about nobody makes up their own vampires anymore. Just about every one dies from a stake through the heart, being lit on fire (though nobody ever seems to use it) decapitation (same), sunlight (which I have heard came from Nosferatu), and has superhuman strength and speed. The necessity of a coffin is one of the less-agreed-upon ones. Meyers made up her own vampires, but made them into instant mar(t)y-sues, who would be just about impossible to kill, so you have to wonder why they feel it necessary to hide their being vampires, maybe they are allergic to having mallgoths squee at them?

Dracula may be the name everyone associates, but Dracula's definition is not the common one. Ask anyone on the streets what the sure fire way to kill a vampire is and they'll probably say sunlight. That's been the method in most mainstream literature concerning vampires in the last maybe forty years.
Exactly. I would love to see a use of the old rules, I find the same old vampires quite boring.

I would say that stake through the heart has been quite popular in recent decades, guess what two TV shows I am thinking of.

I actually haven't played WoD (new or old), nor read the Anne Rice books, so anything in them, I am not really familiar with.

My problem is just that vampires have decayed in a century from being horrifically powerful beings that take great measures to even slow to mooks that you can kill by tapping them in the chest with a pencil.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #57 on: 19 Sep 2008, 07:37 »

There be spoilers for the Vampire Chronicles here, read on at your peril if you plan to read them, but have not.

I've seen a completely opposite direction, personally. My first big dealing with Vampire books (Well, first REAL dealing. My actual first experience was Bunnicula) was the original Vampire Chronicles books. The way Rice portrayed them was that vampires weren't inherently evil, just kind of douche bags. They would start off as reluctant inductees into an eternal life where you have to kill people to survive and develop a complete detachment from their humanity if they didn't go insane and burn themselves to death after a couple hundred years due to boredom, loneliness and a complete antipathy towards everything. I found that rather interesting. It had its upsides, like power, skill and beauty, but you could never change or experience daylight.

Now it seems that there's no good reason someone wouldn't want to be a vampire. I mean, what the fuck is the point of it being a curse if you don't have to kill people when you feed and the only downside to going out in the daylight is that you're shiny? Even Rice started bullshitting this stuff when she gets to a point where her protagonist can go into sunlight and he never really has to feed. As much as I enjoyed the Queen of the Damned book, the series should've ended there cause she pretty much completely fucked it all up with that one.
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #58 on: 19 Sep 2008, 13:30 »

Yeah, honestly, other than Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I can't think of any vampire related fiction that has actually portrayed vampires as being less powerful than they were portrayed in Dracula. Vampires meddle behind the scenes in just about anything of import in the OWoD setting and as Obsession's pointed out, the Anne Rice novels feature obscenely powerful vampires.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Nodaisho

« Reply #59 on: 19 Sep 2008, 21:14 »

Well, there is also Blade (comics and movies), though I can't say I ever read the comics, it could be that there weren't vampire mooks in that. In WotC games, and settings where vampires aren't the focal point, they aren't hugely powerful, probably because it is difficult to have enemies that are that powerful without having them steal the show, kind of like having Christopher Lee in a large role in a movie.

Meyer's vampires are notably powerful, though, as I haven't read the books, I don't know what all their powers were, besides being mar(t)y sues.

I know that in the room next to me, there is the Queen of the Damned book, I think it is the one with an updated cover, made after the movie. Probably was my dad's, but I never bothered to read it. I hope you all will forgive me if I don't read it before continuing this discussion, I don't really want to, and I already have Dracula out from the library, as well as two William Gibson books I haven't finished yet.

And personally, I think that not being able to go about during a large portion of the day is a big weakness for vampires, Dracula didn't have to worry about becoming a mess on the carpet if a wind caught the curtains.

I think I may have made the wrong argument in this thread, as I think about it more, it isn't the power (though Dracula did have lots of powers, flavorful powers, probably due to the heavy influence of folklore), it is the complexity, he is powerful, but he has weaknesses too. Not obvious instant-death weaknesses, but things that can slow him down until they can stop him.

Since other people seem to know much more about modern vampire works, does anyone know where the rivalry between vampires and werewolves came from? I would think that the vampires could control the werewolves, as they can control wolves.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #60 on: 20 Sep 2008, 14:39 »

White Wolf and the WoD did a lot to further the idea of a vampire-werewolf rivalry, although I wouldn't be surprised at all to find earlier examples. It's really rather simple: Vampire the Masquerade was the first WoD book published, and vampires needed something to fear in the game world. Werewolves made sense as a foil both thematically and as a physical threat, since having the vampires steamroll most everything in the setting but other vampires wouldn't make for much of game world. Plus, WoD vampires are decidedly urban schemers whereas werewolves are easily depicted as primal, back-to-nature types. Besides, how better to lead off a new venture than starting with two supernatural headliners? I know I seem to be bringing up White Wolf a lot here, but honestly, they're one of the biggest names out there in RPGs, and it's hard to overstate their influence amongst the '90s convention set that makes up the foundation of what we're talking about here.

Anyway, yeah, 3.X edition vampires weren't very good, but even AD&D had Ravenloft and Count Strahd. Throw in the sheer power of vampires in Shadowrun (Shadowrun vampires regenerated like fucking crazy prior to 4th edition) and the rise of White Wolf, and it's hard to argue that rpgs have reduced vamps to mook status.

As for Blade, those vampires are actually pretty damn strong, they just have the misfortune of existing in super hero universes or films dictated by action movie logic.
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2008, 15:26 by Whipstitch »

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #61 on: 20 Sep 2008, 17:19 »

Man, Bram Stoker didn't research no folk tales.

There are essentially four main original pop culture sources for vampires and their abilities, two of which barely anyone has ever read:

1) Varney the Vampyre, or, The Feast of Blood: 1840's penny dreadful. Fangs, regeneration, hypnosis, superhuman strength, puncture wounds on the neck, existential angst.

2) Carmilla: 1870's Gothic novel. Vampirism as a metaphor for sex, lesbian vampires, walking through walls, turning into mist, sleeping in coffins, transforming into beasts, anagrammatic pseudonyms.

The other two are Dracula and Nosferatu. I would say the original screen adaptation of Dracula is probably more important than the novel as a cultural touchstone. Like pretty much every other mythological creature, the rules of vampires are fairly fluid, and only really have to make sense in the context of each individual work of fiction. Vampires have ranged in power across various works of fiction from mere dangerous parasites to demi-gods whose powers rival that of Lovecraftian entities. Generally however the point of vampires is their rules: all vampires generally have some major, arbitrary weaknesses. The tipping factor is technology more than anything. Dracula would have been a mook if Van Helsing had been packing full-auto incendiaries and some white phosphorous grenades. 
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Betagold

• Emoticontraindication
  • THERE WILL BE NO EGGS OF ANY KIND!!
« Reply #62 on: 21 Sep 2008, 07:55 »

So, I just finished Twilight yesterday.
That was pointless.  It seemed that it was a 500 page set-up for the series you knew was coming after it from the first page.  The whole thing could have been done in 150-200 pages and fused with another novel in the series if they hadn't stopped the story every three pages to talk about how beautiful Edward was.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #63 on: 21 Sep 2008, 16:03 »

Fun story! My mother has mild OCD. Very mild, mind you; it bothers her a bit and occasionally interferes with her priorities, but she is for the most part highly functional without the benefit of medication. Anyway, one of her problems is that once she starts a book or television program, she feels bound to complete it, if not immediately, than at the absolute earliest possible convenience or else she finds herself obsessing about it constantly. She has many times commented upon this while watching something that she freely admits makes her rather unhappy, and I've even seen her "cheat" by fast forwarding through entire movies (but watching the whole time!) merely to satiate her anxieties somewhat. She started reading the Twilight series and gave up about a quarter of the way through the third book. She just couldn't do it.

imagist42

• more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #64 on: 21 Sep 2008, 16:31 »

Man. That's bad. I'm much the same way (it's the only reason I continued reading Harry Potter, or watching Stargate. You have no idea what getting into Scrubs during finals did to me), although I'm not usually compelled to do everything so immediately, so it's good to know that if I ever find myself tricked into reading part of this, I'm not likely to be stuck reading all of it.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

jessco

« Reply #65 on: 22 Sep 2008, 05:20 »

Are you sure you've read the entire series?

Dude, vampire-werewolf bestial foursomes vs. super angsty oh we finally had sex but I'm mormon and not going to go into details...

I think that's a pretty big difference.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #66 on: 22 Sep 2008, 05:28 »

Most of the series was Bella wanting to go further and Edward not wanting to. Hell, one of her conditions about getting married was that she had to be allowed to have sex with him while still human. Even though this could possibly kill her.

It may not be explicit, but it was certainly there, especially after she was changed. It was just romanticised more than how it is portrayed in Hamilton's stuff (I am assuming, going by what I have heard about it). Saying that it's not about sex isn't accurate, even though it's not a huge part of the story
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

jessco

« Reply #67 on: 22 Sep 2008, 06:42 »

I guess what I was trying to say was that with the Hamilton series, in the later editions, the sex scenes became so gratuitous and so constant that there wasn't a plot anymore.  It was just one sex scene after another with no let up and the main protagonist ends up banging like 23 boys all the time, instead of being a cool vampire hunter like she was originally. 

So yes, I know Twilight is about sex, but it's not only about it, non-stop with no room for any actual story. 

Sorry if my wording was off, I was super hopped up on Xanax when I posted that the other day.  This is why you should go to bed when you take that mess and not computer surf and pretend you know things.   :-)

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #68 on: 22 Sep 2008, 08:49 »

I guess what I was trying to say was that with the Hamilton series, in the later editions, the sex scenes became so gratuitous and so constant that there wasn't a plot anymore. 

So if there's no explicit sex, what's Stephenie Meyer's excuse for the lack of plot?

Muppet King

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #69 on: 22 Sep 2008, 08:52 »

Mormons don't believe in plot?
Yes, as a matter of fact, we'll probably use algebra like mad today!

imagist42

• more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #70 on: 22 Sep 2008, 09:56 »

What is wrong with you people. We already went over that bit of business.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #71 on: 22 Sep 2008, 13:21 »

Mormons don't believe in plot?

Hush now, you're offending the Splatter Day Saint.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #72 on: 22 Sep 2008, 17:48 »

Please can we not get started on that again? People have been pissy enough in here without having to go over this all again.
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #73 on: 24 Sep 2008, 07:56 »

Plus strictly speaking I believe there was a plot in the Book of Mormon, so I think that point is rendered invalid.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #74 on: 26 Sep 2008, 20:54 »

Please tell me this isn't true

« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2008, 10:25 by Blue Kitty »

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #75 on: 26 Sep 2008, 20:56 »

Perhaps we can discuss the book?  I saw today that one of my students is reading it.  I teach eighth grade.  Sounds like she's reading a book targeted at her age group.

Nodaisho

« Reply #76 on: 28 Sep 2008, 15:51 »

Yeah, I would say so, but it makes me sad, because there are really good books targeted at the same age group. The Discworld young adult books, Hitchhiker's guide, Tamora Pierce, all solid books for that age range. Hitchhikers might depend more on the person, my 8th grade humanities teacher suggested it to me, but I wasn't reading the same stuff as most 8th graders (in that I was actually reading voluntarily, and also that my sense of humor fit the book's). Tamora Pierce is popular with most girls I know in that age group, though. Maybe your student already read all of her books, I can hope that at least.

Now, what I remember of reading the book (up to the end of the beach party) is that aside from the descriptions of the vampires constantly being overdone is that she writes very descriptively, but doesn't do so quite as well as some authors do. The book was quite boring, an intentionally slow starter, I think, which I can understand. If I had come to the book without any preconceptions, I might not have been quite so bored, but I think the pace needed to be picked up a bit.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #77 on: 28 Sep 2008, 16:02 »

I think Douglas Adams becomes more appropriate in high school than he is in middle school.  However, a number of my students love Monty Python (as evidenced by their reaction to the Holy Grail shirt I wore to the community service event we did on Thursday), so maybe they'd love Adams.

I definitely agree about Terry Pratchett, though.  I'm going to see what I can do about getting all of his books added to the library.  There's only, what, three, maybe four dozen, right?  I own 35, and I know I don't have them all.  I'm also going to get Neil Gaiman added to the upper school library if I can.

Nodaisho

« Reply #78 on: 28 Sep 2008, 16:10 »

36 discworld books, including the young adult books. He also wrote Strata, Dark side of the sun, Nation (a young adult non discworld book), and I could have sworn there was some other one he wrote, saw it in the teen section of my library, I ought to be able to find what it is called. And of course, there is good omens, which is both his and Gaiman's.

edit: Only you can save mankind, that's it. First of a trilogy, apparently.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #79 on: 28 Sep 2008, 16:25 »

I've had at least 4 people (all girls) come up to me and say "OMG Phill, you NEED to read Twilight."  My response is always the same "Sorry, I read real books."  When they try to say that Twilight is, in fact, a real book I say "Sorry, by real book I mean something that's actually read by people who read....stuff like Trainspotting, Breakfast of Champions, Hyperion, Grapes of Wrath."

We had a discussion about how Dean Koontz and Stephen King are like the hamburgers of the literary world...sometimes you'd rather chow down on a hamburger than a steak. Stuff like Twilight is the McDonald's of the literary world.

I agree, I love a good action packed book, but that doesn't mean it has to be overly derivative and poorly written trash.

My example of an action packed book: The Count of Monte Cristo

Nodaisho

« Reply #80 on: 28 Sep 2008, 16:33 »

Action-packed, how do you define that in regards to books? You mean things happen quickly, or lots of combat?

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #81 on: 28 Sep 2008, 18:00 »

Hmm... Hyperion.  I was underwhelmed.  Seemed like a very dark "Be careful what you wish for" fantasy novel that was pretending to be a sci-fi novel.  I didn't much enjoy it.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #82 on: 28 Sep 2008, 18:08 »

*cough* http://shinga.livejournal.com/478415.html *cough*

For anyone who hasn't read the first book (and those who have), here is a summary of what happens, chapter by chapter. It is hilariously accurate.
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Nodaisho

« Reply #83 on: 28 Sep 2008, 18:12 »

She also did a couple funny comics about it.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #84 on: 28 Sep 2008, 18:28 »

I've had at least 4 people (all girls) come up to me and say "OMG Phill, you NEED to read Twilight."  My response is always the same "Sorry, I read real books."  When they try to say that Twilight is, in fact, a real book I say "Sorry, by real book I mean something that's actually read by people who read....stuff like Trainspotting, Breakfast of Champions, Hyperion, Grapes of Wrath."

We had a discussion about how Dean Koontz and Stephen King are like the hamburgers of the literary world...sometimes you'd rather chow down on a hamburger than a steak. Stuff like Twilight is the McDonald's of the literary world.

I agree, I love a good action packed book, but that doesn't mean it has to be overly derivative and poorly written trash.

My example of an action packed book: The Count of Monte Cristo

I WOULD agree with you....except that's a bad example.  The Count of Monte Cristo is my favourite book, easily.  But coming in at like...1500 pages it's anything but action-packed.  The Three Musketeers is action-packed....Monte Cristo...is carefully planned action.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #85 on: 28 Sep 2008, 23:04 »

For anyone who hasn't read the first book (and those who have), here is a summary of what happens, chapter by chapter. It is hilariously accurate.

Oh God, Hannah this is perfect. I'll have to show it to another Hannah.

Betagold

• Emoticontraindication
  • THERE WILL BE NO EGGS OF ANY KIND!!
« Reply #86 on: 29 Sep 2008, 14:03 »

Easily the most accurate summary ever.

Nodaisho

« Reply #87 on: 29 Sep 2008, 15:11 »

I think I'm going to make my friend read that.

ravenjade

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #88 on: 29 Sep 2008, 18:08 »

Cleolinda of the Movies in Fifteen Minutes fame has pretty much the best summary of the series over at: http://cleoland.pbwiki.com/Twilight#Bookdiscussionentries

Nodaisho

« Reply #89 on: 29 Sep 2008, 20:36 »

The Rupert Grint lost a bet entry made me laugh out loud.

ravenjade

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #90 on: 29 Sep 2008, 21:19 »

Pattinson is basically my new hero when it comes to him talking about the Twilight series. "What's your favourite of the books?" "The second one because I'm in it the least"
Oh, and...

Nodaisho

« Reply #91 on: 29 Sep 2008, 21:24 »

No wonder my friends who like the series were pissed at him being picked.

Meyers must not have known his attitude to the books before he was hired, either that or she didn't get a say in it.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #92 on: 30 Sep 2008, 03:14 »

I read Cleolinda summaries of the books, and while they made me laugh so much, she also makes a number of good points about the books, especially in... one of them (I read them all in a row, so they all blended together) about how Bella actually is shown at times as 'strong', she just makes really stupid choices for seemingly easy decisions a lot. Also, Cleolinda made a point that we don't know anything about Bella's career aspirations at all, even at the start of Twilight where Edward isn't in the picture; she has bizarre priorities, which is probably one of the things that makes her character so annoying.

Growing Up Cullen was such a hilarious take on the vampires (especially Edward as the 'problem child'), it made my day.
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #93 on: 30 Sep 2008, 10:47 »

Ravenjade's excerpt comes from Empire magazine. If anyone's interested, here's a link to a Twilight blog with some scans. It is a fun article; it's about as condescending as you can imagine while still managing to maintain that frothy air of movie mag enthusiasm. Well, at least up until the Pattinson quote, anyway. I give it high marks.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2008, 10:57 by Whipstitch »

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #94 on: 30 Sep 2008, 15:14 »

I honestly wouldn't surprised if the film is better than book.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #95 on: 09 Nov 2008, 13:45 »

Resurrected for this:

[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

improbability driver

« Reply #96 on: 09 Nov 2008, 18:29 »

Oh thank god, for a minute I was terrified that there was going to be praise for the series in here.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #97 on: 09 Nov 2008, 21:03 »

I read half a page of the Twilight series, skimmed through the next few chapters of the first book and then wiki'd the rest.

I'm going to the doctors to check if my brain haemorrhaged or my eyes worked up an inflammation, because I'm allergic to bullshit.

Nodaisho

« Reply #98 on: 09 Nov 2008, 23:54 »

I expect that some of my friends might want to drag me along to the movie when it comes out. On the bright side, it will doubtlessly be shorter due to lack of descriptions, unless they have a lot of narration with ridiculously extended shots where nothing happens a la blade runner. And they won't think to extract a promise that I won't laugh and make jokes about the movie.

jill the ripper

« Reply #99 on: 10 Nov 2008, 17:21 »

My mother teaches ninth grade and read a little bit of the Twilight series, since all of her students were.
I'm so glad I have parents with good taste.

I've read the first two.
My feelings are not so warm towards the series.

Anyway, she's banned me from seeing the movie. I'm not allowed. On pain of being grounded.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up