AMAZING BOOOOOOOK
- 12 (10.1%)
Stephenie Meyer is a GENIUS
- 4 (3.4%)
You're all wanks
- 103 (86.6%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: Twilight Series  (Read 179111 times)

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
  • prisencolinensinainciusol
Re: Twilight Series
« Reply #650 on: 12 Feb 2009, 21:47 »

I politely and in a supportive manner encourage you to get out more often.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #651 on: 13 Feb 2009, 09:38 »

man, are we still talking about this?
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #652 on: 14 Feb 2009, 04:12 »

Yet another picture I would +1/QFT if it didn't break my post apart.

This thread is here to remind people what kind of douches they are to like the series. Or, at the very least, a repository of people who can make fun of it without being subject to bad grammar, fangirl-squeeing and the like.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #653 on: 14 Feb 2009, 09:36 »

okay, i have been thoroughly reminded that i am a douche for liking the twilight series.

what page are we on now, 14? really? guys, this is what stephenie meyer wants! (damn, i guessed 8 pages first...)

(nah, it's cool. carry on with the bashing if you feel it's still relevant.... i hardly hear anything about twilight nowadays except for on this forum.)
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

LucyStag

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #654 on: 14 Feb 2009, 11:31 »

Mediocre books which were entertaining enough to speed through (the better to not focus on all that purpose prose, my dear)  but are so much less worthy of obsession than Harry Potter and anything else that is still less than, say Orwell or Steinbeck.

I wouldn't find the mocking so entertaining if people really weren't weirdly, intensely obsessed with those books. And our generic, creepy hero.

The books MIGHT be sort of good (certainly less embarrassing) if Edward and Bella were completely erased. Focus on Jasper and his weird vampire wars past. Carlisle being a vampire doc. Alice being crazy. Even the bitchy blonde and her murderous rampage (at least she horribly slaughtered her rapists, that's more than Bella has ever done) and wish for lots of babbbbbies would be okay if we didn't have to choose between her lack of personality or Bella's as our women (or Alice...who likes shopping! And party planning And Esme...who is motherly! And Bella's mother, who is such a freeeeeeeeee spirit! But it's okay because the last two don't matter to the story in any way.)

I enjoyed the secondary character's back stories most (though for all I know they're just Anne Rice lite) and I cannot for the life of me figure out why Edward and Bella are supposed to be most worthy of our attention. It's "Titanic"a ll over again, oh well, look at this tragic human drama being played out, how horrible and gr -- "JACKROSEROSEJACKROSEJACK!"

Except that it's much worse to read that in book form. Seriously, many of us have been young and vaguely obsessive about a crush (I mean, I mean, truuuue loooove) but there is a reason my journal entries at age 12 would not make a good book.Fawning over one person is NOT interesting and it never will be -- especially when your hero and heroine don't even have a personality beyond love -- it's basically two-person navel gazing.

I am going to edge away and go back to reading "The Ghost Road" -- so as to remind myself that ladies can write good books. 

P.S. I will say this for the author, she picks pretty cool names for her characters. Or maybe I just have always felt -- ever since I saw Citizen Fish who have a member with said name -- that Jasper is a totally sweet name.

Yes, basically write the book about Jasper, Carlisle, and Alice before she turned out to be much lamer and duller than I thought at first.

P.P.S. Seriously -- SPOILER ALERT -- how the fuck did we have all that build up, and no clash of the titans at the end of the last book? No deaths of "well beloved" "characters"? J.K. Rowling had the decency to kill off some of my favorite characters, and I will always love/hate her for that.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2009, 13:00 by LucyStag »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #655 on: 14 Feb 2009, 11:57 »

The artist I showed you earlier did exactly that.

Comic

Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #656 on: 14 Feb 2009, 12:26 »

Lucy, go get your hands on some Charlotte Perkins Gilmore.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #657 on: 14 Feb 2009, 12:33 »

Yet another picture I would +1/QFT if it didn't break my post apart.

This thread is here to remind people what kind of douches they are to like the series. Or, at the very least, a repository of people who can make fun of it without being subject to bad grammar, fangirl-squeeing and the like.

Actually, no, it really isn't. Or at least, it was never really intended to be. If it were, I'd be actively ashamed of my participation in it. I'm not a fan of the series but making people feel like they're douchebags is definitely not a goal.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

LucyStag

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #658 on: 14 Feb 2009, 13:18 »

The Yellow Wallpaper?

I have read part of it. My friend read some of it at a coffee house thing, and was so good that she freaked people out. I was sorry I missed that.

I will read it. Yes, sometimes it annoys me, because I am a female who wants to write books, that female readers and writers have this horrible reputation that so often is justified. (I have gotten the awkward compliment that my writing is masculine -- meaning that I have a strong voice and a confident style. Which is great, except my writing being female would mean...that I am Stephenie Meyer?) When I was 15 I loved George Orwell. I still love George Orwell. I don't like to be a snob about other people, but when I was younger I found it sort of intensely alienating that my peers were into a whole bunch of shit. Sometime I wasn't trying to be cooler than thou (though lord knows I was) but I was honestly interested in things that nobody else my age was, and that made bonding with peers somewhat tricky.

Now I don't care as much. But it still puzzles me -- the "Twilight" obsession type thing*s. And there's something intensely depressing about older women swooning over it. Kind of freaks me out in a romance novel reading housewife sort of a way. (I go to an all-women's college and in the coffee shop is a paperback rack to leave or take a book, and it is almost entirely romance novels! Somebody -- hopefully the sweet girl who works there -- left a note begging people to leave better books.)

(* Have been reading Pat Barker's "Regeneration" trilogy lately. The first one is one of my favorite books of all time... Fuck Edward, I have a crush on fictionalized WWI poets!)

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #659 on: 14 Feb 2009, 14:44 »

I actually, I meant Herland.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #660 on: 15 Feb 2009, 04:31 »

Actually, no, it really isn't. Or at least, it was never really intended to be. If it were, I'd be actively ashamed of my participation in it. I'm not a fan of the series but making people feel like they're douchebags is definitely not a goal.

Which is why I can fall back on the phrase "at the very least etc." so that I don't sound too much like a hateful prick.

I will read it. Yes, sometimes it annoys me, because I am a female who wants to write books, that female readers and writers have this horrible reputation that so often is justified. (I have gotten the awkward compliment that my writing is masculine -- meaning that I have a strong voice and a confident style.

Dear child, if I were in your position of being a good female writer and being told to have a masculine write, I would punch them in the face for being so bigoted. Granted, there is a degree of justification for a relationship between some female writers and absolutely shit literature, given what we've talked about in this thread, but there are so many good writers who are shadowed by other loud, flamboyantly horrible authors. It'll be that way until the end of time.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #661 on: 15 Feb 2009, 05:45 »

That is not strictly a feminine thing.

This is not me trying to start a battle of the sexes in this thread that is already such a dead horse, but there are more bad writers than good writers period. It's not a male writer/female writer thing.
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #662 on: 31 May 2009, 21:11 »

So aparently Chris Weitz (the man who made an awesome Golden Compass movie before New Line shit all over his script) is directing "New Moon"

Did not see that one coming.

On another note, I was bored and watched the making-of documentary on the Twilight DVD the other day. The director of that one, Cathrine Hardwicke; my god was I the only one who wanted to strangle that woman after listening to her rave about what an awesome job she did making the Twilight movie? Ugh.
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up