THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Heroes  (Read 86720 times)

Demonic Angel

• Plantmonster
Heroes
« on: 22 Sep 2008, 19:09 »

Yeah I realize there were a previous thread but I figured I wouldn't dig it up to point out that, we have the incredible Asian Spiderman,how awesome is this?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Re: Heroes
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2008, 19:19 »

season premier tonight yay!

this is made all the better because i watch very little television and haven't seen any previews or trailers so it'll all be new to me.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2008, 06:18 »

Just finished watching the first two episodes of Season 3, and it looks very promising!

I'm hoping the villains don't end up getting overplayed and cheesy like Bullseye in Daredevil, it'd be a crying shame. I really hope Claire and Noah do team up for the regathering of said villains, and I hope Mohinder learns his lesson for messing with that sort of shit.

As with Lost, I dont like to try and guess too much what is going to happen, so roll on next weeks episode!!
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2008, 12:15 »

I guess this has some spoilers, so I'll leave a break as warning.

I am interested to see what powers the guy has that Peter is stuck in. Mrs. Petrelli only said, "You don't even want to know," so it must be something pretty good. (Good meaning super interesting, not powers for good.)

Also, did anybody make out what Mohinder pulled out of the sore on his back? Was it bone or something else?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2008, 12:33 »

Ando: “But I am not a villain. I am your best friend.”

Hiro: “Maybe today. What about tomorrow?”

People watch this.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2008, 12:35 »

Linds, the dossier that Peter's mom was holding said something about Sonic Manipulation or something. So, sound something? I don't know, but I'm real interested in seeing what Peter does while he's with a group of villains like that. Should be way fun.

And it looked like a scale or something to me. Or some kind of chitin maybe?

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2008, 12:50 »

My initial guess for Jesse Murphy's power was something akin to the Marvel comics character Black Bolt (His voice could shatter mountains with the slightest whisper), but his phone conversation nixed that. I'm going to assume something along the lines of Banshee from the X-Men, whose power could be incredibly devastating if put to the wrong uses.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2008, 12:53 »

Did you see the webisodes? The guy on there had an ability very similar to Banshee or Siryn. Maybe it will be something like that.

I'd prefer Black Bolt, though. He's badass.

dozyrozy

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2008, 13:14 »

I want to watch!!! But I'm in England and it's not shown here until next Wednesday. I just couldn't help reading what y'all have been saying though and now I want to watch it even more!!! I might have to try and find it somewhere online...
I think I'll take a nap now...

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2008, 15:12 »

Wow, those two episodes were really, really good.  Faith in series = restored.

This season is going to be some crazy shee.

Best line:

Claire: "You don't like, eat brains?"
Sylar: "That's disgusting, Claire."

:lol:
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #10 on: 23 Sep 2008, 15:28 »

Sylar Petrelli. Fuck Yes.

Also, Mohinder is turning into a lizard.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #11 on: 23 Sep 2008, 15:32 »

Mohinder is clearly Jeff Goldblum in The Fly.  I think they're doing it on purpose, down to the "picking weird shit off his body" deal.  He even acts the same.

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2008, 20:32 »

Doesn't really look that interesting. They're sort of running into a boring pacing. The whole prophetic, teasing tone is tiring. It reminds me of Season 3 of Lost. The new villains seemed more like assholes than sinister. The character "reboots" seem contrived. Heck, the show FEELS contrived now. Granted, TV shows are contrived by nature, but they're not supposed to feel that way.

I'm skeptical if Heroes can keep the charm Season 1 had. Furthermore, the "countdown" beforehand was pretentious and full of itself.

Thank goodness House and Dexter have new seasons. Lost, eventualy, too.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2008, 11:56 »

I thought the season premiere of House was pretty horrible, actually.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2008, 12:07 »

House himself is still interesting enough, but the show is getting kind of boring to me. I did enjoy the appearance of Felicia Day last night, however.

Mostly, I'm looking forward to the new season of Chuck.

Fluxuation

• Plantmonster
    • http://www.myspace.com/andrew87part2
« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2008, 12:09 »

I loved the season premiere of Heroes.

heres a quick theory I made about Hiro: I think Hiro is going to become a villain or atleast and indirect villain. something about the scene between Ando and Hiro in the future just made me think that Hiro saw that scene way out of context. in his mind it's Ando who went bad because Hiro can never see himself going bad, but Hiro's main goal in life is to be a real hero. I can see him creating a situation where he would be needed to save the day. possibly allowing the formula to be made instead of stopping it early just so that he can save the world once the formula is released.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2008, 12:14 »

Mostly, I'm looking forward to the new season of Chuck.

You know you can watch the premiere already on NBC's website, right?  If you haven't seen it, oh boy, prepare to be blown the fuck away.  They ramped everything up and if the season keeps the momentum, it could be the best show on network TV until LOST comes back.

Back on topic, I am almost certain that the scene Hiro saw with Ando was, in fact, reversed and it was Hiro who was being a "villain" of some sort.  It's much easier for me to imagine Hiro going off the rails than Ando, and since this season seems to be built on extreme mind-fuckery with "who's good", it makes perfect sense that the audience (and Hiro) were being misdirected.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #17 on: 24 Sep 2008, 12:47 »

Holy crap! I didn't know that at all! I will go watch it now.

And, I got that same vibe from the Hiro/Ando scene. I'm also pretty sure they're going to play up Future Peter as a villain as they go along, and set up his mom as a hero on the other side, since she's been so grey during the first two seasons so far.

I'm also very interested in what they're doing with Matt. And is Molly now officially off the show? Cause I'd be cool with that.
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2008, 12:50 by RobbieOC »

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #18 on: 24 Sep 2008, 14:19 »

The most interesting angle they seem to be going for is turning Sylar into a "good guy".  When he was losing blood and asking "Where does evil come from?" and "How do you make love stay?" it sounded very much like the writers are humanising him, and obviously it seems Ma Patrelli is trying to reverse all the psychological damage his parents seem to have left him with.  I mean, there was that whole bit where he was turning into a nice guy again until his "mom" went all psycho on him.

Also, the thing with nobody being able to kill Claire, ever, leads me to believe she might be the "pure blooded person of light" or whatever that Kaito mentioned in his video to Hiro.

I hope the Haitian comes back.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #19 on: 24 Sep 2008, 14:26 »

1) Chuck was indeed awesome. Thanks.

2) You might be right about Sylar, but I think eventually he will turn back to being evil. There was a thing where HRG said something along the lines of there being people that are just evil. I think that doens't bode well for Sylar. He's just too good of a bad guy to not use.

3) It looks like they might try and see how Claire works as a villain, based on the preview for next week's episode. That could be interesting, if they put her up against Peter.

4) Yeah, the Haitian is awesome.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #20 on: 24 Sep 2008, 14:39 »

When he was losing blood and asking "Where does evil come from?" and "How do you make love stay?"
Is there a link to this clip? Is it a flashback sequence? Because from the quotes alone I can't imagine how it could be played straight by an adult actor. That's just... not something people say.
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2008, 14:41 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #21 on: 24 Sep 2008, 14:48 »

The lines work in the context of the scene.  Plus, Quinto is a good actor.  He had lost a lot of blood and was rambling in a daze, wondering if the answers to questions like that are to be found within the human brain itself.  He was basically wondering if there's a soul, or if the soul is hidden in the brain somewhere, which could come up as a major plot point; some people could be "just evil" like Noah said because they literally lack something in their brain that allows for empathy.  The Level 5 guys that were released definitely seemed to be completely, absolutely amoral and evil.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #22 on: 24 Sep 2008, 21:23 »

The thing is if Sylar turns good the Heroes will lack nemesis, unless Peter turns evil.  And all, '3 more who are just as bad escaped' about it, there's no way the three of them could handle Sylar or Peter in a fight.

But Im def stoked, and I do want to see what happens to Mohinder pretty badly.  Though Maya is lame, but it looks like shes going to be around for a while.  Nathans whole story bores me, and I never liked Nikki either, so combining them will thankfully save screen time.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #23 on: 24 Sep 2008, 22:20 »

(very slight) SPOILERS START BELOW

The major villain of Volume 3 is not Sylar, it is someone who is revealed in episode 5.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #24 on: 24 Sep 2008, 22:23 »

Thank goodness Dexter has a new season.

This, I am looking forward to in four days.

Heroes, not so much.
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #25 on: 25 Sep 2008, 06:59 »

My whole problem with this series is that there's just no way it'll ever be what I want it to be, which is to say a show about superheroes. Sure, they've got awesome powers but the only way they'll ever use them is sort of in these teasing ways that shows they've got them without ever actually doing anything useful on screen. There's no epic battles or choreographed fight scenes because in a TV show they don't have the production time nor the budget to do anything of that scale on a regular basis, or really any basis. Not to mention that they've got every single character emo and angst filled to the absolute limit anyway.

Also, I've said this before in the other thread and I'll say it again. If they actually ever had "fighting" Peter and Sylar are just way too fucking powerful, they've outstripped the other characters in ability just due to the nature of their own powers that its comically bad. Seriously, both of those characters have to die if the show is going to have any longevity on a believable level, or lose a lot of their fucking powers. I mean, you can see it in the future, where Peter has come into contact with like fifty or a hundred other people with powers, he'd be a god, I mean, he's already immortal and blessed with the powers of creation and destruction. Jesus.

All that said I do watch the show every frikkin' week and I think it started out well this season. damnit.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #26 on: 25 Sep 2008, 07:49 »

I don't know why they ever cranked up Peter's powers.

Sylar's fine to be overpowered. Villains are more interesting when they're a tough son of a bitch.

Peter, however, stopped being interesting when he got control of his powers.

What's needed is a deus ex machina where they re-gimp Peter's powers back to him needing to be in close proximity or make them dangerously out of control.
JON MADE ME GAY

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #27 on: 25 Sep 2008, 13:29 »

...like amnesia? They came so close!

You're right on about Sylar, though. A villain has to be more powerful than the heroes, or there's no suspense. That's why Magneto and Dr. Doom and Loki are so awesome as villains (and as characters, really), because they are so ridiculously powerful. It's takes a whole team of X-Men to take out Magneto, it takes the whole Fantastic Four to take out Dr. Doom, and it takes the power of a god, and maybe the most powerful character in Marvel, to even put up a fight against Loki. Sylar is similar. The heroes (Hiro, Peter, Claire, etc.) have such cool powers, and are so strong that Sylar has to be even more powerful for it to even seem worthwhile for them to fight.

These episodes are already better than the whole of season two.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #28 on: 25 Sep 2008, 13:39 »

Peter's powers are gimped by the fact that his apparent purpose in the series is to fuck everything up.  That was a joke in the first two seasons, but it now actually appears to be a legitimate theme they're using.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #29 on: 25 Sep 2008, 13:42 »

Which, I'm actually OK with. It's not a bad device to use to keep him busy while the bad guys do their villainy schemes, and then at the end of the story they fight.

But, of course, there are two Peters now!

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #30 on: 25 Sep 2008, 13:51 »

I suppose it makes sense to cast the role of fuckup on the superpowered equivalent of Gilligan.

I love the idea of Sylar as the means to an end, though. Comic Book Resources has some clips from the next episode and one of them involves (Spoilers):

Angela and Noah discussing hunting down the villains from Level 5. As they speak, a woman's body with an obvious head wound still bleeding through the sheet covering her corpse is wheeled away on a stretcher. Angela goes on to mention the Hatian being unavailable and introduces Noah to his new partner, Sylar, who is shown washing blood off his hands in his cell. I think it's safe to say that Elle's termination was far more literal than just being fired considering the corpse is her size and she is officially off the cast list. It seems that the company is now outright providing victims to Sylar for powers in the field, probably to ensure his cooperation, as well.

This prospect angers, elates and excites me all at the same time.
JON MADE ME GAY

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #31 on: 25 Sep 2008, 23:51 »

Keep your enemies closer.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #32 on: 26 Sep 2008, 00:15 »

Oh my God, that spoiler is just... oh my fucking God.

That will either be insanely fucking awesome or absolutely terrible, and my money is on the former.

HELL YES.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #33 on: 30 Sep 2008, 20:10 »

Guys, did you see this again last night?

How awesome are HRG and Sylar together? Super awesome, is how.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #34 on: 30 Sep 2008, 20:16 »

Seriously, this episode was like a metric ton of fanservice got dumped into the script but it ended up being totally, absolutely fucking awesome.  Fucking SYLAR AND NOAH.  Just spin them off into their own show and be done with it.

Also, Matt and his Spirit Guide.

Also, Daphne vs. Hiro and Ando is so amusing.  I expect they will end up as a team and her and Hiro will fall for each other in an amusing and quirky way.  Also, she is hella cute.

Also, THE HAITIAN IS BACK.  IT IS ON.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #35 on: 30 Sep 2008, 20:18 »

Did I say that I wasn't excited?  I was wrong.

I FUCKIN LOVE THE HATIAN
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #36 on: 01 Oct 2008, 10:23 »

dude the Haitian talked! i thought he was mute for sure.

oh well, Monday's episode was fucking sweet, i can't wait for next monday.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #37 on: 01 Oct 2008, 10:33 »

Wait, why? They established that he was full of shit on the mute shtick like halfway through season one, when he was supposed to wipe Claire's memories, but instead told her the details about her father.
JON MADE ME GAY

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #38 on: 01 Oct 2008, 10:37 »

huh i don't remember that.

oh well, shows what i know!

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #39 on: 01 Oct 2008, 10:48 »

I think Daphne's gonna fall for Ando actually, Hiro's already gotten his chance at love. Or they'll both fall for her and she'll just think its funny. I liked Sylar and Noah together, but I wish there was just a little more hesitation on Sylar's part when he was ripping out that guy's brain, see if he was actually trying to fight it.

Also, I'm glad it wasn't Elle under that bedsheet, we haven't seen the last of her character and I think there's at least some potential there for more awesome. Unlike Tracy Strauss, I mean, really? I haven't said anything about this before but jesus, couldn't just let sleeping dogs lie? I mean come on, they had an out, and they bring her back. Damnit.

Yeah, Hatian has been able to talk for a long time now.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #40 on: 01 Oct 2008, 11:04 »

Maybe Daphne is even the reason Ando and Hiro end up going at it? Maybe that's what Hiro was talking about when he said that Ando betrayed him?

So, hypothetically, could Sylar steal the Haitian's powers? Or is he like, the only chance that anyone has against Sylar (and Peter, too, I suppose)?

Betagold

• Emoticontraindication
  • THERE WILL BE NO EGGS OF ANY KIND!!
« Reply #41 on: 01 Oct 2008, 11:37 »

Well, it's possible that by stealing the Haitian's powers that it would negate all other powers, including his own.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #42 on: 01 Oct 2008, 16:08 »

THAT would be hilarious, actually. Though i definitely don't want the Haitian to die, its almost worth trying.

And backtracking to earlier, I agree with others and I think that while its true that the villain needs to be a super awesome badass, when a character like Sylar has something around the range of twenty or so different abilities versus everyone else who has only one, it starts to get a little bit on the ridiculous side. If Sylar were to go up against Dr. Doom or Magneto or both and use all of his abilities in a comparable fighting style he'd probably rip them in half without breaking a sweat and then dissect Magneto's brain.

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #43 on: 01 Oct 2008, 16:19 »

If you've been watching you'll also notice that they constantly remind the viewer that these villains need to be locked up because they would destroy the world. Also Peter is just as overpowered, and I love watching the jaded future Peter running amuck.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #44 on: 01 Oct 2008, 21:10 »

Heh, yeah, I've already said that Peter is just as powerful or worse because he doesn't even have to kill people, just stand next to them for a little while.

Yeah, they'd destroy the world, but four of them waste their time robbing a bank and three of them get killed like its nothing. Awesome.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #45 on: 01 Oct 2008, 21:18 »

Peter is a raging pussy.  He causes trouble, not danger.  Which is too bad, cause he has the potential to be eleventeen times mores badass than Sylar.  Though it was stated, epi 5 reveals the real bad boy of the series.  So I will wait with baited breath to see how it pans out.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #46 on: 01 Oct 2008, 21:19 »

:-D - And next week, Sylar bakes cookies!

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #47 on: 01 Oct 2008, 21:26 »

Off topic here, I love your avatar so much RobbieOC.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #48 on: 01 Oct 2008, 21:29 »

Am I the only one who has found this show mediocre to decent at best, since day one? I mean, it just seems like it has so much potential all the time, but the actual execution seems to fall flat more often than not. Maybe I am just expected a little too much polish for a show about everyman superheroes.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #49 on: 02 Oct 2008, 12:43 »

Yeah, I guess. Since no one else responded.

I disagree, though I can see where you're coming from. And honestly, like a lot of other people, I was rather disappointed by the second season, because I really felt like they weren't doing anything to really add to the mythology, which is something you have to constantly do in a show like this in order to keep it fresh (or, as they're doing, continue to add more hot girls). This season, they seem to be focusing on making us think about things more, like the nature of good and evil, and what it means to be a villain, so they're getting back on track nicely.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up