THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 22:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Writer Seeking Artist for Webcomic  (Read 7298 times)

angulique

Writer Seeking Artist for Webcomic
« on: 23 Sep 2008, 12:49 »

Is this allowed here?  If not, I'll delete it!

I am a writer who has been working on a story for the last several years and I am looking to turn it into a webcomic. The story is a dark fantasy story, full of romance, humour, adventure, craziness and all sorts of stuff. I am unemployed at the moment, so cannot pay, but am looking for someone who loves to draw and has been interested in doing comic stuff for fun and possibly future profit.

If you are interested, please drop me a line at angulique[at]aol.com and we can discuss further!

~Mad Ange

Stanistani

• Not quite a lurker
  • I am inspired by the talents of others.
    • Wikipediocracy Blog
Re: Writer Seeking Artist for Webcomic
« Reply #1 on: 07 Oct 2008, 21:04 »

I'm in a similar situation. I'd like to turn one of my series into the featured, front-page web comic on my site. Not sure how to approach an artist.
Questionable Content is one of the few web comics I check out daily - it's that good.

Wikipediocracy - We show the world what's wrong with Wikipedia...

falconire

• Plantmonster
    • Supernaturals Presents
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2008, 15:36 »

Seriously consider getting a job and then being able to pay an artist. I pay my artist $40 for pencil and inked work, then I do the lettering myself. Honestly, the comic industry has a lot more artists than it has jobs so you should be able to find someone who can work with you for a while - although I suggest planning a finite series in chase the artist has to leave in the future.

Whenever I need an artist I usually go to www.digitalwebbing.com. They have a forum for paying artist gigs and nonpaying. However, if you want reliability then go the paying route.

tuna ketchup x

« Reply #3 on: 03 Nov 2008, 06:54 »

What kind of art? Realistic, superhero, color or b/w, line art or shaded art, what? Also, if you want a good artist you have to pay upfront, or at least promise them (get it in contract) at least half of the profit sharing from any merchandise, subscriptions, etc. No professional is going to ink a long-running comic series "for fun" or only the possibility of future earnings. I'm an amateur and I don't even think I'd do it, I need all my free time for my own projects. Sorry if I'm being harsh but drawing art for others is a job just like a "real" job.

DanteShepherd

« Reply #4 on: 03 Nov 2008, 11:50 »

Just as a suggestion, I was originally making my work into an artistically drawn comic and put out a sample script as an example.  That might help, although most artists seem to want to work with their own original ideas unless you can figure out a way to wow them.

And as a warning, the only responses I got were from a series of people who specifically drew stick-figures.  No need to copy xkcd.  Hopefully, that doesn't happen to you, but if it does, hopefully you'll be able to figure out a way to put out your stuff anyway.  Although with fantasy and romance, it may be hard to make a photo version starring yourself.

angulique

« Reply #5 on: 03 Nov 2008, 14:45 »

Thanks for all the info, guys!  I actually found a couple of artists and I've found one that is really neat and awesome and hopefully it works out with her!  :D

~Mad Ange!
Pages: [1]   Go Up