THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Displaying records?  (Read 11500 times)

bachelorchow

• Not quite a lurker
Displaying records?
« on: 31 Aug 2008, 17:14 »

something about records
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2012, 03:01 by bachelorchow »

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
Re: Displaying records?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2008, 20:44 »

Are thumbtacks are out of the question too?  'Cause if they aren't, you can get these plastic sleeves for your albums, slip the album in one and tack two top corners.  I mean, if you're going to use adhesive stuff, you're going to want to get the sleeves.

Now that I think about it, you can get these little foam pad things with adhesive on both sides at arts & crafts stores, I believe.  It's not that strong an adhesive, so it would come off the wall without damaging it.

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #2 on: 01 Sep 2008, 15:33 »

There's always the obvious framing solution. Frames might cost a bit more though.

DMart

• Larger than most fish
  • Most participants desire.
    • Fritzwicky
« Reply #3 on: 01 Sep 2008, 20:49 »

A quick search found this. A bit pricey, but a nice touch. Not sure if there's anything available for just the sleeve though, which I think is more what you're after. Maybe a custom framing place could help?
An operatic soprano raps and sings atonal music, advertising jingles, political slogans, and “elevator” music, and a children's choir sings jingles and holiday songs.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #4 on: 02 Sep 2008, 09:21 »

I've heard not to stack them horizontally, on top of each other, though I can't remember why.

Nonetheless, as for frames..I've got four of these. They work pretty well.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #5 on: 02 Sep 2008, 09:26 »

Store LPs vertically, but not leaning - so you need a way to pack them, but not too tightly.  Stacking horizontally will apply pressure and so may help ingrain any dust if they are not perfectly clean; leaning, they will warp in due course.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

3Z3VH

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
« Reply #6 on: 07 Sep 2008, 00:35 »

Also, if they are collectible, two tacks may be a bad idea, as the weight of it will cause the tacks to start digging into the sleeve.

Of course, if you just get a thin piece of corrugated cardbord, and slip it inside the cover in place of the record (and store the record someplace safe) then leaning may be the best bet.

If it is an option to use finishing nails (very thin nails that leave easy to patch holes in the wall) then I would just go to the local hardware store and pick up something called "Wainscot Cap Moulding" that is used to frame wooden paneling... this means it has a nice groove cut in it so when you nail it to the wall, the groove will hold the record perfectly, and if you get one for the top and bottom, you can slide the record in there and know it will never fall, and you don't even have to worry about the weight of the vinyl, or about having to "lean" it against the wall (not to mention it really looks good for really cheap).
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

DMart

• Larger than most fish
  • Most participants desire.
    • Fritzwicky
« Reply #7 on: 07 Sep 2008, 04:51 »

Ok, this is just an idea and possibly a terrible one - what if you used blu-tak to stick a piece of wood say half an inch to an inch square, and long enough for however many records you wanted - like a really thin shelf that's not screwed into the wall or anything? If you're worried about things falling you could probably nail a piece of dowel or something to the top of it (before you stick it to the wall) so that the records can't slip off? Actually, I might try this myself later on... Maybe I should ms-paint up a diagram to clarify my ramblings. This might still be a bad idea.
« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2008, 05:09 by DMart »
An operatic soprano raps and sings atonal music, advertising jingles, political slogans, and “elevator” music, and a children's choir sings jingles and holiday songs.

octodexy

« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2008, 22:03 »

A lot of my album covers that I really love, I typically make into boxes, that you can put stuff in. This is generally an album that isn't an "OMG I LURV U" album. Another thing that is pretty easy, but requires a little bit of construction, is making a kind of "curtain."

For one record sleeve, you'll need:

2 sheets of super thin plexi-glass, or sturdy plastic sheeting, add an inch on all sides for measurement.. (Hardware places can generally cut these sheets for you, to your sizing requirements) with about an inch
Binder Clips
Round Binder Ring
Drill or Hot Nail
Record sleeve
Plant Hanger (the kind you screw in the ceiling)
Safety Goggles
Gloves

If you use plexi-glass you'll need to drill a small hole in to two top corners of the plexi glass, big enough for the round binder rings to go through. You can also put holes through the bottom two corners, same method.
If you use sturdy plastic, if you heat a nail you can usually push it through on its own, but depending on how thick it is you might have to drill it, anyway.
Center your record sleeve, and seal with binder, wherever you want (they make them clear and all different sorts of colors)

Then, if you want, if you drilled holes in the bottom, you can link them up like a curtain, as long or wide as you need, and it looks pretty neat.

If you screw a plant hanger into the ceiling, it's not generally something a landlord notices, and can be covered up pretty easily when you move out.

Rozen

« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2008, 18:49 »

I have a couple of things I do to hang records that are really cheap. The first option is to use clip-boards and then attach the clipboards to the wall. The damage to the cover is minimal, but there is usually a crease where the clip was holding it. Here is a picture

I also use bulldog clips that you can buy at the art supply store. Its what art students use to clip their paper to their art board and they are ridiculously cheap and they are much nicer to your album covers than the clipboards. They have holes in their handles that can go right on a nail.

If you have moulding near your ceiling you can then get some moulding hangers, attach wire or fishing line to them, and hang the clipboard or bulldog clips from the wire. That way I don't need to put holes in the ancient, cracking, leaded, 50 layers of paint on my wall.
Pages: [1]   Go Up