THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which weekend (Fri-Mon) would work best for you for "Chicagocon '09" to happen?

July 31-August 3, 2009
- 8 (20.5%)
August 7-10, 2009
- 4 (10.3%)
August 14-17, 2009
- 5 (12.8%)
August 21-24, 2009
- 3 (7.7%)
August 28-September 1, 2009 (Tuesday included because it is a US/Canadian(I think) holiday)
- 4 (10.3%)
I don't fucking care as long as the date gets picked soon so I can plan!!!
- 15 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: 01 Oct 2008, 09:20

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Chicago Meetup Dates  (Read 50683 times)

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Chicago Meetup Dates
« on: 26 Sep 2008, 09:20 »

This poll will run for five days.

Oli is coming to Chicago-con and he needs to buy his ticket now before he spends all his birthday money and student loan money on stuff he actually needs. So we need a date, pronto.

Disclaimer: I am not in charge of Chicago-con.

Disclaimer #2: I am not in charge of anything, actually.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2008, 09:22 by Edith »
Ho, ho, ho!

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Re: Chicago Meetup Dates
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2008, 09:41 »

I would prefer the last weekend of the month, both because I'd have that day off and also because if I'm going to the trouble of flying out there, I'm not doing it for just a weekend, and the Red Sox will be in Chicago the weekend after. The Cubs will be at home that weekend too, and I'd love to go to a game at Wrigley.

So yeah, optimally, it'd be best suited for Rachel and I's attendance if it were to be the last weekend of August. I'd be able to fly in on Friday and just take the following week off from work.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2008, 09:49 »

Jon, "Rachel's and my attendance."

There is no such word as "I's."

Fucking pedant, yes I am.
Ho, ho, ho!

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2008, 10:20 »

The last weekend of August would not be good for me, as I will definitely be back in school before then. I am willing to bet that classes for me start on the 24th of August, so I would prefer any of the first three weekend in August. Also I am guessing that at least a few other people will be going back to school at the end of August, and it is just easier to not have to deal with school schedules.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2008, 10:22 »

I'm voting the July 31st beginning date, since it's 4 days after my birthday. Other than that, I have absolutely no preference, since I'll be there regardless.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2008, 11:03 »

i do not care which of the weekends it is, since i don't have school or anything like that. but i think it should be earlier in the month because i was always back at school by august 20th or so. and also by then i think jason will be in school.... so earlier in the month is better.

also, who is in charge of chicagocon?
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2008, 12:24 »

Does anyone need to be in charge? I think everyone will just make their own arrangements for places to stay and how to get there and what to do.
Liz is touching me.

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2008, 12:30 »

Someone needs to at least vaguely oversee things, otherwise you run a big potential clusterfuck. If you've got six people each keeping track of a handful of unrelated details, shit'll fall apart.

Somebody should be in charge of planning it and it should be someone who is definitely going.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2008, 12:37 »

I think we should just put everything in a thread, like what hostel you are staying at so other people can book rooms, when people are arriving so you can coordinate rides, that sort of thing. Sure, we can name one or two people to "oversee" things but there really isn't anything they can do to be "in charge."
Liz is touching me.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2008, 12:52 »

I would vote not the 7th - 10th

That is the weekend of Lollapalooza.  A thing I would wish to go to.
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2008, 12:55 »

Although that is the weekend of Wizard World Chicago, which always has really cool people show up.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #11 on: 26 Sep 2008, 13:08 »

I don't know how sure I am that I'll be coming. I might be in exams until the 14th, the weekend before is out for me because there's something else (Hillside) that might be then which takes precedence massively for me. Until the 14th I may be in exams, so I'd be most likely to come if it were after the 14th.
I really don't know where/what I will be in a year, though.
I voted.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #12 on: 26 Sep 2008, 13:23 »

i think jon is right, we need someone to at least oversee the hostel booking. i am assuming that we all want to stay in the same room again, and that needs to be arranged by one person to ensure that we book one whole room. many hostels have 10 or so beds in one room, if you book individually they just throw you in one. also some of the hostels in chicago are huge and will probably fill up fast, i think faster than the ones in toronto, so we will need to book very early, especially if we all want to stay together in one or two rooms. i think our best bet is the HI chicago hostel (http://www.hostelworld.com/availability.php/HIChicago-Chicago-1853), since it is centrally located and has no curfew.

it would also help if we had a couple people to put together a few agendas for the trip, just so we all have a vague idea of what we are doing. we had a vague idea of what we were doing beforehand in tronno and that really helped to get everyone organized and together. even if it is as simple as on this day we will go to the aquarium, on this day we will go shopping on the magnificent mile, on this night we will invade joe hocking's place and have drunken acappella karaoke, etcetera it helps to have a plan.

carpools and rides and stuff.... that can be arranged on your own through PMs and such. but you should know that parking in chicago is a bitch, and not all hostels offer discounted parking, or parking at all. i see nothing on the HI chicago page about parking for cars, only for bicycles. in the past when i have stayed in chicago it cost between 30 and 40 dollars per day to keep my car parked in a garage, with no in and out priveleges so i couldn't even use the car at all. not like you need a car in chicago, but just something to keep in mind when planning your trip.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2008, 13:34 by yelley »
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #13 on: 26 Sep 2008, 13:23 »

The Cubs will be at home that weekend too, and I'd love to go to a game at Wrigley.

The Cubs are at home Aug 25- Sept 2nd, so I'd vote then.  Also, I think I will have a nice long weekend.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #14 on: 26 Sep 2008, 13:36 »

i think our best bet is the HI chicago hostel (http://www.hostelworld.com/availability.php/HIChicago-Chicago-1853), since it is centrally located and has no curfew.
I stayed there for the first few days I was in Chicago. It is a pretty nice place for a hostel. There is an all right place to hang out with table tennis and the like, and smaller sitting rooms on all the floors, and the internet is quite expensive (at least in my books, $1 for 10 minutes). It is right in the centre of everything, it's right by all the El stops for folk flying in, and easily worth the moneys to stay in. Also, folk seem quite nice there and it's clean.

I am really unlikely to be going to this, unfortunately, because I will be stone cold broke due to graduating, and more than likely struggling to find work.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #15 on: 26 Sep 2008, 14:07 »

I don't really know that much about Chicago, but when I go down there for shows and such I just park at one of the El stations and ride it into downtown.  It's $3.00 for like 11 hours, but I'm not sure how much it is past that.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #16 on: 26 Sep 2008, 14:34 »

Okay so in Gabbly we were debating the merits of hostels versus hotels. Hostels are cheap but a bitch to plan for. Hotels are easier but more expensive.

What we have are yelley's hostel, this hostel that is wicked cheap and in a good location, but kinda iffy, and this hotel. It is in a great location, relatively cheap for a downtown Chicago hotel, and swanky as hell. Edith and I like it a lot. It is $190 a night for a double room, so split that between four people. Aaand you can add a person for $25 a night, which will actually make the cost per person per night go down, which is awesome. Also they have a lot of double rooms so we could probably get a few next to each other if we wanted to do that.

Thoughts?
Liz is touching me.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #17 on: 26 Sep 2008, 14:40 »

I was all like, oh it's a thread about Chicago, I dont need to read that. OH SHIT I REALLY DO.

Anyway to be honest I don't really mind what dates we pick, because I will just build my holiday around that.  So far my vague plan is to appear in America before Chicago-con and road trip around with Sam until we find our way to the rest of the internet.  So whatever dates Sam says I AGREE.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #18 on: 26 Sep 2008, 15:37 »

For liz's hotel remember to add about $90/night for taxes.

Also, I just called the HI-Chicago to ask about how it works for groups to stay there if it's just a group of friends, and not like THE GIRL SCOUTS or whatever. Their groups manager should get back with me in a day or 3. I will post what I learn here.

Don't fucking make me be in charge of this shit, people. I am not your chaperone.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2008, 15:44 by Edith »
Ho, ho, ho!

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #19 on: 26 Sep 2008, 15:50 »

Man, taxes. Why do I always forget about those.
Liz is touching me.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #20 on: 26 Sep 2008, 16:07 »

There is only a small chance I'll still be in Chicago next summer. Any chance we can make this wherever-Joe-moves-to-con?

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #21 on: 26 Sep 2008, 16:11 »

Joe. You are running away from us, stop it. We are not going to move this one.
Liz is touching me.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #22 on: 26 Sep 2008, 16:24 »

But if we make it a wherever-Joe-goes-con, then we can't all organized and responsible.  You wouldn't want to think of us as immature, right? [/guilttrip]

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #23 on: 27 Sep 2008, 00:00 »

Hurry up and decide so we can book Kuma's Corner.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #24 on: 27 Sep 2008, 00:42 »

Whatevs you want Sam, I will not be buying my tickets until early next year sometime anyway!  So I will just sit back and wait for everyone to sort everything out then fit in with that!
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #25 on: 27 Sep 2008, 01:33 »

This is the greatest restaurant ever. If there were one near me I would probably weigh 300 pounds.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #26 on: 27 Sep 2008, 04:46 »

Mm. Kuma's. I think I'll go there for dinner today.

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #27 on: 27 Sep 2008, 04:48 »

In all probability, I will still be in Chicago then, so I will have a couch space or two up for grabs when it gets closer to the time. If anyone's pressed for cash and doesn't mind sleeping in my apartment, it's cool with me. I don't think there's any point in assigning it this early, though.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #28 on: 27 Sep 2008, 05:37 »

Guys, I wanna go to this. If there's a Starwood hotel in the Chicago area we'll be in I can help out A LOT...

So... I can get, probably four or so double rooms at a base rate of $79.00+tax. This is staying at the Sheraton Chicago North, at 301 East North Water Street Chicago, Illinois 60611. If we add 2 people per room, we'd probably be looking at 79 to 99 plus tax. Now, I don't think this is too bad at all. Depending on the dates it might be a little bit higher, or not available. Therefore, I'd need to know as far in advance as possible. This is a goddamn Sheraton, which means it's a pretty nice hotel too.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #29 on: 27 Sep 2008, 06:40 »

Damn, that sounds like the best idea I have heard so far, Pants. I will commit, right now, to paying for one room at that price, as soon as we know the dates. 

...How can you get that price? Are...are you a hotel wizard?
Ho, ho, ho!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #30 on: 27 Sep 2008, 06:44 »

Damn, that sounds like the best idea I have heard so far, Pants. I will commit, right now, to paying for one room at that price, as soon as we know the dates. 

...How can you get that price? Are...are you a hotel wizard?

They call me hotel wizard, you see
For I make reservations most magically.

No, seriously though. I actually work at a Starwood (sheraton, westin, four points, W) hotel so I get cheap rates on hotel rooms depending on time and location. I know that a Las Vegas westin room is 89.00 if I stay in the room, for friends/family it is 139.00. At the hotel I work at, the rate is 49.00 plus a tax that comes out to 55.01 exactly. Its not a bad price. But its in Phoenix. So, you know, it kinda sucks 6 months out of the year.

Get me dates though and I'll see what I can do about finding the rooms and stuff. There's a lot of hotels in the downtown Chicago area apparently? So if one doesn't work out I can try another.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #31 on: 27 Sep 2008, 06:47 »

He's a hotel wizard
There's got to be a twist

Ptommydski

« Reply #32 on: 27 Sep 2008, 06:48 »

This is the greatest restaurant ever. If there were one near me I would probably weigh 300 pounds.

We also have to hit up Hot Doug's. I know quite a few very cool people in Chicago so hopefully they can make some suggestions of fun things to do.

I am pretty set on coming to this but I would prefer it to be late August. Well, whatever. I don't want to mess with other people's plans too much. I don't know if Tania is planning on attending this one but hopefully events will transpire and she'll be able to make it too.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #33 on: 27 Sep 2008, 07:41 »

i am going to try my best to attend but frankly i have no idea what my financial or living situation will be like at that point so i can't make any promises.
no date preference for me.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #34 on: 27 Sep 2008, 08:26 »

If I wind up going to school next year, late august will be kind of shitty. Early would be better for me, but whatever.

Also, I do plan on attending this no matter what.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #35 on: 27 Sep 2008, 08:43 »

I'm telling you guys, just let me know, I may be able to swing 4 or 5 rooms. Thats 20 people at least. Maybe more if anyone wants to be intimate or if they find me as attractive as I find myself when I look in the mirror some days. Anyways, COED ROOMS WOO!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #36 on: 27 Sep 2008, 10:01 »

There's a Fu Manchu burger holy FUCK.

I am hoping to attend. Chicago is after all the land of my ancestors. My grandpa was born there.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #37 on: 27 Sep 2008, 10:50 »

I am pretty set on coming to this but I would prefer it to be late August. Well, whatever. I don't want to mess with other people's plans too much. I don't know if Tania is planning on attending this one but hopefully events will transpire and she'll be able to make it too.

The problem with late August, as already mentioned, is that a good amount of people will probably be headed back to school. How about mid August? Is that good enough for you?

Also, PantsFTW- I like your idea a lot. A lot a lot. Let's make this work.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2008, 10:52 by Misconception »
Liz is touching me.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #38 on: 27 Sep 2008, 11:01 »

So how much for each person for these different places? For Pants' idea, it's 79-99 for each individual?
 - Napoleon

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #39 on: 27 Sep 2008, 11:06 »

No, I think that is for the room. People would split the cost.

Which would be amazing.
Liz is touching me.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #40 on: 27 Sep 2008, 11:51 »

i vote for pantsFTW's hotel.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #41 on: 27 Sep 2008, 11:56 »

There's a Fu Manchu burger holy FUCK.

Holy shit that is the best menu I have ever read I have to eat there.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #42 on: 27 Sep 2008, 12:24 »

Guys, I will more than likely be going to this one, since Chicago is only about 7 hours away by train. I am all about staying at a hostel, unless my friend has a dorm room with a floor I can crash on.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #43 on: 27 Sep 2008, 13:04 »

No, I think that is for the room. People would split the cost.

Which would be amazing.

Great!! I'm all for it then!
 - Napoleon

ackblom12

« Reply #44 on: 27 Sep 2008, 13:08 »

Pants, I'm pretty certain we would all give you oral lovings if you could pull that off.

Kat and I would prefer the first weekend, but any of the weekends other than the last would work for us. Like a large chunk of others she'd be back in classes by that point.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #45 on: 27 Sep 2008, 13:10 »

Same here. Early-to-mid August is best for me. Can't make any promises about my participation, but I'll try.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #46 on: 27 Sep 2008, 14:18 »

Man, now I HAVE to go.  All these people are awesome.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #47 on: 27 Sep 2008, 18:55 »

Taylor of course you HAVE to come. I will be there. God.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #48 on: 27 Sep 2008, 19:19 »

So, by the time this rolls around, I'll be 20, just barely not old enough to go out drinking (assuming you all choose to do that at some point.) Should that deter me from coming? Should it not matter? Will we just be drinking in privacy, where it won't be an issue?
 - Napoleon

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #49 on: 27 Sep 2008, 19:22 »

I wasn't at Tronno, but I would assume that there would be some of both.  And there would probably be, you know, some things that wouldn't be alcohol related.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up