THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day  (Read 18021 times)

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day
« on: 30 Sep 2008, 15:11 »

from: http://geeksofdoom.com/2008/03/18/saints-rise-again/

Troy Duffy's production blogs: http://www.youtube.com/user/realboondocksaints

Production starts October 20th in Toronto.
Well ladies and gentlemen, here it is.  The long awaited (albiet Roco and Smecker less) sequel to the cult classic, "The Boondock Saints"  Be it the second coming or terribly bad idea, the plot is as follows:

The boys (Norman Reedus, Sean Patrick Flanery) and their father Il Duce (Billy Connolly) have been living in seclusion, deep in Ireland on a sheep farm, away from everything, when Il Duce’s brother comes to tell them that a priest was murdered in Boston and it was set up to look like it was done by the Saints.

The boys rush back to deal with it, while they’re supposedly ailing father stays on the farm. There’s a new character who’s kind of the Rocco character named Romeo; funny, but much more bad ass. As soon as the brothers land, they start picking off anyone who may be tied to this framing. Willem Dafoe is not in the sequel, a new FBI detective comes into play — a female with a strong southern accent. She wants to catch the Saints and is working with some of the detectives in the first movie (like Bob Marley) who, as we know, decided the Saints were good and began helping them, but they don’t think she knows this, so they need to go with that. Eventually their father comes back into play and tells them what’s going on, which sets in motion a full-on flashback of the story of Il Duce from day one.

I'm at a loss for words, the excitement to just too much to form into a viable sentence.  I think a road trip to Toronto is in order, nuff said.

Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2008, 15:17 »

I'll believe it when I see it. I knew a guy who was "working" on Boondock Saints 2 back in '05.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #2 on: 01 Oct 2008, 16:13 »

I hope that Duffy has gotten a bit better with the cinematography aspect. I liked the plot, and appreciated that they were self-aware about the constant swearing, but the slo-mo was overused just a little bit.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #3 on: 01 Oct 2008, 16:20 »

Wow this sounds like it will be shit.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #4 on: 01 Oct 2008, 19:07 »

Yes it surely does. Are people seriously this incapable of leaving well enough alone?
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #5 on: 01 Oct 2008, 19:20 »

"Two Irish American brothers, with guns and the help an Italian American friend take on the mafia with tv shows and their family prayer."

How does Boondock Saints sound like a good movie?  Nevertheless, it's awesome.  Seriously, give movie a chance, guys.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #6 on: 01 Oct 2008, 21:16 »

OK, good point.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #7 on: 02 Oct 2008, 00:16 »

Boondock Saints is probably the most divisive movie I've ever seen. There are literally three sorts of people I know - those who think it's brilliant, those who haven't seen it, and those who think it's a cheap, shitty sub-Tarantino (shit, sub-Guy-Richie!) style movie that should have hit the D2V market with the rest of its ilk. I'm obviously in the latter category.

Though you really can't argue with a little slice of ham from Willem Dafoe, the scariest-looking man alive.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #8 on: 02 Oct 2008, 07:39 »

What was probably his most interesting character quirk was lifted from The Professional, so I don't even think about Dafoe when that movie comes up in a discussion.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #9 on: 02 Oct 2008, 10:27 »

I guess Im with most of you on this one, this seems 100% unnecessary.  The original while a beloved cult classic to many, is in actuality a pretty mediocre if fun to watch movie.  I have a strong feeling this sequel will do alot of pandering and get alot of extra press that it doesnt really deserve.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #10 on: 02 Oct 2008, 11:07 »

should have hit the D2V market with the rest of its ilk.

Ummm...it essentially was D2V. It played in five theaters for only one week. That limited of a release is essentially synonymous with direct to video.

The original while a beloved cult classic to many, is in actuality a pretty mediocre if fun to watch movie.

That effectively describes the vast majority of "cult classic" movies. Shit, you could describe the original Star Wars trilogy that way.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #11 on: 02 Oct 2008, 11:50 »

Any film buff will tell you that cult movies are okay but not the greatest thing ever.  Boondock Saints, Fight Club, American History X, Pulp Fiction, Donnie Darko...etc.  They're pretty average movies that just do something different.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Nodaisho

« Reply #12 on: 02 Oct 2008, 17:27 »

What was probably his most interesting character quirk was lifted from The Professional, so I don't even think about Dafoe when that movie comes up in a discussion.
How does he resemble Stanfield? No drugs, no sociopathy, no sadism? I could see that being said of Il Duce, with the "No women, no kids" thing, but that never really comes up.

Oh, beethoven?

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #13 on: 02 Oct 2008, 17:33 »

Yup.

BootsyMarie

« Reply #14 on: 03 Oct 2008, 08:19 »

I don't know why people get so upset over sequels, really. The truth is, the sequel doesn't really do any harm. It's just a device used to bank off of people who enjoyed the original. And if it's not made solely for money-making purposes, you end up with a decent film sometimes.

Boondock Saints 2 has a lot of potential to be good, and I look forward to it.

UNFORTUNATELY, there has been talk about the production of this movie since basically forever, and I doubt it's really going to happen any time soon. Though, hooray if it does!

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #15 on: 03 Oct 2008, 19:25 »

I'm excited about this. I can appreciate any movie that takes on the good vs. evil fight without the use of super heroes with ridiculous superpowers.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #16 on: 03 Oct 2008, 20:05 »

I'm more interested in some kind of sequal to Overnight, but then, as I said in the Terrible Movies Thread, I thought Boondock Saints was pretty bad.
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2008, 20:08 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

lprkn

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #17 on: 14 Oct 2008, 21:22 »

I just can't get over the subtitle to this movie, it's so horribly cheesy.

Boondocks Saints: Saint Paddy's Day features the main characters (I don't remember their names...Fergus?) doing something stereotypical. The End.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2008, 21:35 »

Angus McFinnegan

or was it Mickey O'Sullivan
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #19 on: 15 Oct 2008, 09:45 »

Personally I am kind of excited for this; it all depends how much free license Duffy is given over the movie.  We've all seen how Hollywood can shit up a franchise/series/whatever by throwing in a bunch of bullshit that isn't good in any respect, but I really liked the work Duffy did on the first movie.  It seemed pretty stereotypical, but the dynamic between the brothers was probably my favorite aspect.  Especially the fight they get into in the air duct of the hotel.  That just caught the essence of being a brother to a T.

On a semi-related note, anybody have any clue what's happening with The Good King, the other screenplay Duffy wrote while the rights to All Saints Day were still locked up in the courts?  I've searched and nothing's come up.  No IMDb page, so it's not even pre-production at this point.

(shit, sub-Guy-Richie!)

hey man, snatch was a pretty awesome movie.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #20 on: 15 Oct 2008, 09:51 »

Snatch probably had my all-time favorite one liner, too.

"In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary...come again?"

Nodaisho

« Reply #21 on: 15 Oct 2008, 16:30 »

J, I think that The Good King is being made after All Saints Day.

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
« Reply #22 on: 16 Oct 2008, 00:31 »

Any film buff will tell you that cult movies are okay but not the greatest thing ever.  Boondock Saints, Fight Club, American History X, Pulp Fiction, Donnie Darko...etc.  They're pretty average movies that just do something different.

So film buffs are people who don't like things that are totally great?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #23 on: 16 Oct 2008, 03:20 »

I'm torn. On the one hand, I do dislike the implication that ambivalence towards various genres is the mark of a film buff (partly because this would imply I'm a film buff, which is definitely not true). On the other hand, I think Boondock Saints is generally poor. I swear it seems to be in some kind of race with Fight Club to figure out which movie can turn into a self-indulgent circlejerk faster. Maybe it's a violence fetishist thing, but I guess I simply don't get it.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #24 on: 16 Oct 2008, 06:33 »

Film buffs LOVE things that are totally great.  A lot of cult movies are not totally great.  It's not an outright panning of cult movies, it's acknowledging that there are better movies which really are totally great.  To me, at least, cult movies like Boondock Saints only leave their effect on the first viewing, so it's not as good the next time you watch it.  Good movies you want to watch again.  It's entirely subjective, I know, but most of the people you can call film buffs recognize this. 

It's kind of like Daft Punk.  Daft Punk is alright the first few times, but starts to get boring after more than a few listens.  Some people will go looking for better music, most will blast it at every party they host for the rest of their lives.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #25 on: 16 Oct 2008, 11:40 »

I'm torn. On the one hand, I do dislike the implication that ambivalence towards various genres is the mark of a film buff (partly because this would imply I'm a film buff, which is definitely not true). On the other hand, I think Boondock Saints is generally poor. I swear it seems to be in some kind of race with Fight Club to figure out which movie can turn into a self-indulgent circlejerk faster. Maybe it's a violence fetishist thing, but I guess I simply don't get it.
One major thing Fight Club has over Boondock Saints: A sense of irony. I'm surprised by how many people can't see the satire in the film (though really, the third act isn't nearly as fun as the first two)

To me, at least, cult movies like Boondock Saints only leave their effect on the first viewing, so it's not as good the next time you watch it.
Man, I don't know what cult movies you're watching. Boondocks Saints is an exception to the rule, being that it's all style and it's paper-thin. Better cult movies, like Lebowski, get better with repeated viewing.

But then, I'm not of the mind that Boondock Saints deserves a cult. I'm not of the mind that Boondock Saints should be seen by anyone, really.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2008, 11:45 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #26 on: 16 Oct 2008, 11:50 »

I think a lot of cult movies shouldn't be cult movies.  That's the thing.  I don't know why they get such large followings (well, I have an idea), because most of them aren't all that they're cracked up to be and/or unique.  There are always exceptions, Big Lebowski being one of them, but for the most part the 'first time is the best' rule is what I stick to.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #27 on: 16 Oct 2008, 13:10 »

One major thing Fight Club has over Boondock Saints: A sense of irony. I'm surprised by how many people can't see the satire in the film (though really, the third act isn't nearly as fun as the first two)

I like Fight Club's first act quite a bit; I'd go so far as to say it's wonderful. But the movie speeds downhill quite quickly from there. It makes its point early and then overstays its welcome. Boondock Saints starts out with little going for it and eventually wins the self-indulgence race by holding a steady pace but personally I felt like Fight Club was starting to gain ground quickly by the final act.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #28 on: 18 Oct 2008, 17:01 »

I don't really think Pulp Fiction is a "cult" movie. It's got widespread acceptance among general mainstream critics as one of the best movies out there. (I'm not trying to promote it here, just pointing out reality.)
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #29 on: 18 Oct 2008, 18:51 »

Of the QT movies, Reservoir Dogs is usually considered the cult standard, but if you go by the "not popular or critically acclaimed at time of release" criterion (which movies like Lebowski, Darko and Office Space would fall under, but not something like, oh, Armageddon) Jackie Brown is probably it.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

AanAllein

• Furry furrier
« Reply #30 on: 21 Oct 2008, 21:50 »

write-in: Natural Born Killers

(I have not seen this film, but it's probably the most "cult" film Tarantino's been associated with)

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #31 on: 21 Oct 2008, 22:33 »

It is a film Tarantino would rather not be associated with. At least, his screenplay was edited so much before they shot it, he doesn't really think of it as his work.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #32 on: 23 Oct 2008, 20:45 »

But it's got tits and murder.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #33 on: 23 Oct 2008, 21:11 »

I am just voicing the opinions of the man himself.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #34 on: 23 Oct 2008, 22:17 »

Tits.  Murder.

Tits AND Murder.

Either he has no leg to stand on or he has three.
Pages: [1]   Go Up