THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 19:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping  (Read 11853 times)

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping
« on: 28 Aug 2008, 17:44 »

What are people's opinions of this? I have listened to it about two and half times now, and I'm actually still rather overwhelmed by it. Though intimidating and multi-personality-disordered, I absolutely adore it so far. Kevin Barnes has been one of my favorites for years and he seems to always manage to one-up himself. Basically this album is the Georgie Fruit-half of Hissing Fauna taken to a new level.
Currently I'm unsure of where I think it stands in comparison to the rest of their albums, but it's definitely something awesome.

kevin barnes also has a knack for excellent usage of the word "bitch"
it's time to stop posting

Beast

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I Was Born (A Unicorn)
Re: of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2008, 17:51 »

It definitely keeps my interest as I listen to it, but the lyrics are just embarrassing. The first track is EPIC. good when high
I had two cars but I wrecked em.

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2008, 17:56 »

I listened to the single off that album and I sold my house and released my dog.  No joke.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2008, 18:06 »

It's good, but I think I like Hissing Fauna... more at the moment.  I definitely have to listen to it a few more times, though.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2008, 18:11 »

the lyrics are just embarrassing

no way dude "he's the kind of guy who would leave you in a k-hole to go play halo in the other room" is a great line

Beast

• I Was Born (A Unicorn)
« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2008, 18:24 »

"I'm so sick of sucking the dick of this cruel cruel city"

"So I'm calling your ass up
At like three in the morning
Saying, "Wake up, young dragon
Let's go get compromised
You'll be my little ally
And you can huddle which way you choose"

"I wanna be your pleasure-puss
I wanna know what it's like to be inside you"

"I'm just a black shemale"
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2008, 18:29 by Beast »

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2008, 18:35 »

Yeah, they really are ridiculous, but I'm used to it.

Beast

• I Was Born (A Unicorn)
« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2008, 18:38 »

It's seriously hard to ignore the terrible lyrics

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2008, 18:46 »

"I'm so sick of sucking the dick of this cruel cruel city"

I'll generally agree with you but this is a fantastic line.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2008, 18:52 »

Barnes sounds like he's being ironic about anyway, especially with the album being a concept album in the first place.  The music sounds good enough to overshadow the sillyness, so this sounds like a good album to me.

Beast

• I Was Born (A Unicorn)
« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2008, 18:56 »

What is the "concept" of this album?

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2008, 18:59 »

From Wikipedia's article:

"Barnes himself has described the album as a concept album, 'detailing his transformation from Kevin Barnes into Georgie Fruit.'
    'The transformation takes place during "The Past Is a Grotesque Animal,' the 12-minute long 'turning point' of the album."

According to Barnes, Georgie Fruit will play a prominent role on Skeletal Lamping. In the same interview with Pitchfork Media, Barnes elaborated on the Georgie Fruit's background and character:

"The character's name is Georgie Fruit, and he's in his late forties, a black man who has been through multiple sex changes. He's been a man and a woman, and then back to a man. He's been to prison a couple of times. In the 70s he was in a band called Arousal, a funk rock band sort of like the Ohio Players. Then he went through a few different phases."

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2008, 19:09 »

Kevin Barnes is kind of a douche, eh?

Beast

• I Was Born (A Unicorn)
« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2008, 19:12 »

Does Kevin Barnes have down syndrome?

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2008, 19:17 »

no he is pretty hot

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2008, 19:22 »

He's more just kind of a silly guy with bipolar disorder.  I kind of like the fact that he's doing something so dickish with his music just because it shows a certain playfulness and experimental nature in his work.  He's not making serious music, but he hasn't really ever, so it seems logical that the next step from something as goofy and kitsch as Hissing Fauna... is an even more ridiculous but enjoyable album such as this.  I can dig that he's not showing not even the slightest sign of sobriety in his music, but still keeping it entertaining.

Beast

• I Was Born (A Unicorn)

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #17 on: 28 Aug 2008, 19:46 »

Beast, read this

It really pleasantly surprised me when I thought Kevin Barnes was a fucking idiot and is possibly one of my favorite essays on music.

Beast

• I Was Born (A Unicorn)
« Reply #18 on: 28 Aug 2008, 20:43 »

Beast, read this

It really pleasantly surprised me when I thought Kevin Barnes was a fucking idiot and is possibly one of my favorite essays on music.

Good essay, thank you. I guess he does have some credibility as a speaker.

LittleKey

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2008, 21:52 »

very strange stuff. i can't help but like it however.
yahoo answers is the new youtube comments

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #20 on: 29 Aug 2008, 01:06 »

Great album, but I still find myself enjoying their earlier stuff more.

Also, one awesome essay doesn't quite make up for Kevin Barnes being generally fucking psychotic.

ADDENDUM:
Oh, and I don't mean psychotic in a good way like Tom Waits. I mean more in an annoying, "Why are you allowed to roam free?" sense.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #21 on: 29 Aug 2008, 01:14 »

It's definitely better than Intimacy.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #22 on: 29 Aug 2008, 01:26 »

I think he explains his reasoning behind being a dickhead well in the essay.

Quote from: Kevin Barnes
Why commercialize yourself? In the art industry, it's extremely difficult to be successful without turning yourself into a cartoon. Even Hunter S. Thompson knew this. God knows Duchamp and Warhol knew it. Some artists are turned into cartoons and others do it themselves. I prefer to do it myself. at least then I can control how my cock is photographed.

If it's not the most honorable view of things, it's the truest.

Mind you, I'm not biased in the least as I have yet to hear a single Of Montreal song.

NOTE: Link inside the quote is VERY NSFW.

Beast

• I Was Born (A Unicorn)
« Reply #23 on: 29 Aug 2008, 10:53 »

Wow, you really put a lot of time into that... you'd be better off just emailing him

Beast

• I Was Born (A Unicorn)
« Reply #24 on: 29 Aug 2008, 12:20 »

At least it was better than most of the lyrics on Skeletal Lamping... I listened to it again last night, and the lyrics got even more noticable.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #25 on: 29 Aug 2008, 19:01 »

Okay guys, there is no sense arguing the quality lyrics when the actual music is pretty disappointing anyway.

:-(

Let me clarify: I loved Hissing Fauna and it was what made me actually start paying attention to Of Montreal instead of passing on them as I usually did prior to its release. I loved that it was a little eccentric and playful while still remaining, at its core, an album full of pop songs (save for the rather proggy "The Past Is a Grotesque Animal," which I love more than any other Of Montreal song but that's another story entirely). I especially loved how well it flowed, how despite being catchy enough to listen to any song at any time, the experience of the album as a whole was incredibly engaging.

This album proves to me that Of Montreal is still best at writing hooks with pop sensibility, because that's what the vast majority of it is. But in abandoning any traditional song structure, it loses the continuous flow of Hissing Fauna that made that album so great. This album is little but a repeated experience that can best be described as "hearing a really interesting melody that you want more of and then wondering why OH GOD WHY it's suddenly gone and replaced with loud, repetitive garbage-noise oh hey there's another hook NO WAIT they killed that one too this part is just kind of boring." I just... I really feel that Kevin's spaz-tastic ADD going out of control is really detrimental to this album, because there are parts of songs like "For Our Elegant Castle" and "An Eluardian Instance" that I would bloody love if they were more carefully developed instead of introduced and thrown away in favor of... well, the less enjoyable parts of "Nonpareil of Favor."

It's not that I just want Of Montreal to keep spewing out pop song after pop song. Well, not exactly that. As I mentioned, I dug "The Past Is a Grotesque Animal." I really would have liked an album based on that concept of developing long epics on interrelated themes. Instead it seemed to go the opposite way, and toss in as many abolustely discordant ideas as possible, one after the other with no sense of tact and transition. That is exactly not what I think they do well. There are many things Of Montreal could probably pull off given the promise shown on Hissing Fauna, but this album ain't one of them. Heck, I would have taken an entire funk album like "St.Exquisite's Confessions" if it cut out that subpar crap in the last 45 seconds of the song!
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2008, 19:30 by imagist42 »
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

MobyDickhole

• Larger than most fish
  • I'd rather be procrastinating
« Reply #26 on: 01 Sep 2008, 11:01 »

OK... I really like Skeletal Lamping

But I really miss of Montreal's more minimalistic stuff.
they are starting to sound way serious and deep which is cool

but the line: The row boat came so David stopped arguing with a mime and waved his arms like wheat. But when he tried to speak the Prince of Plum fell through the roof of his mouth and handed David an envelope inside was a letter that read 'sir, you were given this envelope by mistake please disregard it'

from the song 'Penelope' is GENIUS...

I also really wanted to hear stuff more like the stuff from that "Icons Abstract Thee" EP, because that EP was soooo good.

And I haven't seen it mentioned here, but I'm REALLY glad 'Feminine effects' did not get onto the album because I fuckin hated tht song.
And without further ado, I am done typing.

skylinetrain

« Reply #27 on: 04 Oct 2008, 22:35 »

I really like Skeletal Lamping and Of Montreal and Kevin Barnes. I think they're creative and fun and fucking insane. He said in an interview before Skeletal Lamping came out that it was going to be more disjointed and episodic and I quite like it. It's a sort of musical stream-of-consciousness. I feel like people shouldn't compare albums to other albums, because they're meant to stand alone. It makes sense to follow an album that was largely linear with one that is erratic in organization.

If you have a minute, you should read Kevin Barnes' essay about "selling out." I thought it was quite interesting.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
« Reply #28 on: 05 Oct 2008, 05:51 »

Similarly interesting is Tommydski's reaction to it earlier in this thread.

Also, I'm really not sure how I feel about this album yet. I've only listened to it fully once, and since then I've not managed to get through the whole thing in one sitting again. It feels overly long, at just under an hour, especially for such a disjointed album - the somewhat chaotic and often spasmodic arrangement of the songs is not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be a little exhausting and I think making it about a third shorter would've made the whole experience a lot more enjoyable. But then, I'm not sure there are many albums that should be longer than about 45 minutes, anyway.

I'm seeing of Montreal in a few weeks, and I'm definitely interested to see how this record translates into a live performance.
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #29 on: 05 Oct 2008, 15:36 »

I really love this record. Top 10 of the year for sure (again), and I think it might overshadow Hissing Fauna. It took me a couple listens to be able to deal with it, but now that I'm into it I never want to get out.

Kevin Barnes

• Plantmonster
« Reply #30 on: 05 Oct 2008, 19:06 »

Fuck you Tommy.

fuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Moist Cowboy

• Plantmonster
  • THE INTERNET
« Reply #31 on: 05 Oct 2008, 22:11 »

Oh man, I love gimmick accounts.

Andrew Fleming

« Reply #32 on: 06 Oct 2008, 05:18 »

I haven't been able to digest all of Skeletal Lamping yet.
But from what I've heard... I will say that I think it is so polarizing because it is weirdly personal and kind of stream-of-consciousness, but laboriously produced and very poppy.
Bands like Xiu Xiu manage to make this aesthetic work because they are not too concerned with sounding like pop music.
Outsider artists like Daniel Johnston or Gary Wilson make this work because they are not too concerned with production.

But being incredibly intimate and honest and letting your freak flag fly, but doing so i the concept of a carefully constructed and rather poppy album... it seems two-faced. And its hard as a listener to patch those two dimensions together.

I love Hissing Fauna, though, so I'm hoping I will learn to like Skeletal Lamping as well, even though I haven't really liked anything else of Montreal has done besides their post-Fauna EP.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #33 on: 06 Oct 2008, 14:08 »

God I hate Roseland Ballroom so much.

It's the most awful fucking venue. Be up front (first few rows) with ear plugs if you want to enjoy the show at all, otherwise the acoustics/terrible sound guys/awful layout will ruin it for you.

And if you're a fellow New Yorker, hit me up sometime if you enjoy meeting the internets.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #34 on: 06 Oct 2008, 16:55 »

Love is All is the best. Probably in my top three Swedish bands. I need their new album, like, fuckin', now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up