THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A conundrum  (Read 2236 times)

numb3rb0y

A conundrum
« on: 01 Oct 2008, 12:49 »

So...

Built to Spill and Feeder are both playing live on the same night in my town, and this has me vexed. On the one hand, I only really got into Built to Spill comparatively recently but their stuff is really good whereas I've liked Feeder pretty much since I started listening to music. On the other, I kinda think, short of one or two tracks, Feeder's latest album was pretty awful, although I loved most of their prior work.

Has anyone seem either of them live before? If so, how'd you rate their performance?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: A conundrum
« Reply #1 on: 01 Oct 2008, 12:56 »

I would suggest everyone on this forum is going to say Built to Spill...

But I know fuck all about them, so I suggest Feeder! They seem to be great live (aside from the synth strings), but then they will be playing mostly new songs.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #2 on: 01 Oct 2008, 12:57 »

All I know is Built to Spill are pretty fantastic.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #3 on: 01 Oct 2008, 13:52 »

Is this part of Built to Spill's tour where they just play Perfect From Now On? That would be awesome.

billiumbean

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • "Clamsss... Waa!"
« Reply #4 on: 06 Oct 2008, 00:35 »

By having to choose between the two you're already in a bad situation, as every flaw of whichever concert you see will ultimately be "Yet ANOTHER reason why I should have gone to Feeder/Built to Spill..."

By walking into their respective venues, you're already holding them to a high standard, as they have to justify your choice of going there by being MUCH better than the other show.  With this mindset, it will be an inevitable disappointment.

With this in mind, you enjoy both bands, and both have their flaws, so instead of weighing them both by their scales and, more notably, the opinions of strangers online, just go to the show that you think you'd enjoy more, not which one you think deserves your presence more.
Quote from: Alex C
I do agree that this could potentially have some dire ramifications in regards to purple drank.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #5 on: 06 Oct 2008, 14:40 »

Built to Spill playing a cover of Neil Young's, Cortez the Killer on their Live! album is maybe the best song ever recorded.  So on the off chance that they play it, Id go see Built To Spill.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

tuna ketchup x

« Reply #6 on: 07 Oct 2008, 06:37 »

Never heard of Feeder, but BtS puts on a damn fine show. If it were me, I'd pick the one that is less likely to return to my city. Of course, then the band I chose would come back every year and the one I left behind would never come back or break up immediately after the tour so any way you're screwed. So just pick the one you think you'd like seeing more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up