THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A list of MMOs aside from WoW.  (Read 24579 times)

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
A list of MMOs aside from WoW.
« on: 07 Oct 2008, 06:29 »

I need a list of as many MMOs (and possibly websites if you can) that I could check out. I've gotten sick of WoW now and would like to try something other than a Blizzard money-milker. =P Anything from TPS to RPG to RTS.

Any suggestions?

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: A list of MMOs aside from WoW.
« Reply #1 on: 07 Oct 2008, 06:48 »

Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #2 on: 07 Oct 2008, 10:16 »

City of Heroes.
Make it happen.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #3 on: 07 Oct 2008, 11:58 »

do you mean "real" MMOs or do you want to include the millions on the web?
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #4 on: 07 Oct 2008, 14:29 »

My friends and I just re-found our love for Guild Wars, after not playing it for ages but most of us having all campaigns we sold some minipets for plat and now have a guild of friends! UK guild on  US servers because they are more active.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

hack

• Plantmonster
« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2008, 23:27 »

City of Heroes.
Make it happen.

indeed. i likes my MMO action with spandex!
-hack-
Duckman: Did I ever tell you my Dad's last words to me?
Cornfed: "Careful, son, I don't think the safety is on."
Duckman: Before that!

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2008, 03:06 »

I really would like to try Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine. It is appearantly getting a North American release now, so that is pretty cool.
Hate, rain on me

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2008, 03:29 »

WAR is shaping up pretty well if you want one that's got a lot of people playing. Dark Age of Camelot is a really nice MMO with tons of content to try out, including a complex pvp system similar to WAR. Horizons is also a neat mmo where you can play a dragon.
also israel

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2008, 06:36 »

I will investigate and explore. I've seen Guild Wars before and it looks fun. I'll check it out sometime after all the others, because I'll probably pick it up but I want to try others first. =D

Thanks people! ^_^

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2008, 09:10 »

Me and my friends are heavy duty MapleStory players. It's free, 2D side scrolling, and we play a mix of both the official (Nexon), and private, servers.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2008, 18:34 »

AGE OF CONAN: THE HYBORIAN ADVENTURES

What is wrong with you guys?

Edit: Coffee, how do you play that game? I find it so frustrating.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2008, 03:15 by Zombiedude »
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

clockworkjames

« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2008, 06:22 »

AoC has more bugs than my back garden, I liked it on release but but the time I hit 43, realised my sword and shield dude could go suicide stance and mammoth charge a lv80 killing it in 1 hit... they nerfed it about 100 PvP kills and 2 weeks later  :-D

Apparently "Siege" damage is only meant to be so effective against players from catapults and shiz :(

Then the economy of the game when they messed with BoP's and mount prices and stuff... pissed a lot of my friends off and they /ragequit QQ'ing all the way to the unsubscribe website.

My account is not active while I play some WoW :/

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2008, 13:21 »

Edit: Coffee, how do you play that game? I find it so frustrating.

Ehh, I preferred it's chibi-anime feel over the other medieval/piratey stuff.

And once you go on the private servers, you just get RUINED on it.

ravenjade

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2008, 13:59 »

Guild Wars. XD

Also, Ragnarok Online. I wouldn't go with the "real" one, but there are tons of better private servers.

Nodaisho

« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2008, 14:24 »

EQII, it is easier than EQ1, but harder than WoW (from my experience, I haven't played the high-end game on any of the above). And it has done what few games have, made me pause in the middle of my adventuring and go "Holy shit, that is some beautiful scenery." I don't have it on high graphics, and I imagine that even on high, it is miles behind the new high-end games (should be, it was made in 04), but you can tell they put a lot of work into making the world look good.

From my experience, one thing you need to make any MMO fun is people to play it with, though. Find yourself some friends and a guild, or it gets pretty boring.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

MeDrewNotYou

« Reply #15 on: 22 Oct 2008, 15:40 »

No FFXI?  Granted I haven't played in about a year, but it was pretty fun at the time.  Only problem was the sometimes  crazy difficulty and near impossibilty of soloing.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #16 on: 22 Oct 2008, 16:21 »

star wars old republic is on it's way out.

I'm pretty excited.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2008, 20:12 »

Post deleted because of idiocy, storm rider is right. (I can't read today)
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2008, 20:24 by Zombiedude »

Mein Tumblr

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2008, 20:16 »

Dragon Age isn't an MMO.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #19 on: 23 Oct 2008, 00:08 »

Horizons is also a frustrating mmo where you can try 3 different cd-keys and have none of them work and their support doesn't do jack shit about it

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #20 on: 23 Oct 2008, 07:01 »

I've been looking a bit at Darkfall, which is a bit like an Elder Scrolls MMO: No levelling, just skills. And it is much more skill based than the classic MMORPGs out there. I think it'll be fun.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #21 on: 23 Oct 2008, 13:45 »

Oh, and I realised that a lot of graphics requirements out there for MMOs can be a little heavy on the hax side, so what could a GeForce 8600GT support? XD

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
« Reply #22 on: 23 Oct 2008, 14:00 »

Im going to recommend if you want a MMO, specifically, a large expansive world with lots of people roaming around, then dont play Guild Wars.  (Also the fact that you basically need every expansion at this point).

The "heroes" that they implemented (NPC minions with customizable skills/armor/weapons) is actually pretty good, in theory.  In practice, while PvE w/ heroes is almost always preferable to pve-ing with a PUG, the general rampant stupidity is magnified by the fact that the game is NOT solo-able.  Except for the little beginning part of the first game, no class can solo everything.  Also, the pve economy is completely fucked up.

For a pvp game, its actually quite good, however, the learning curve is pretty steep, and getting in with anyone who matters is a challenge unto itself.  Also, if you want to pvp on any sort of higher tier level, you basically need every expansion pack (original + nightfall + factions + northsomething-or-other).

Keep in mind that last I played was over 2 years ago, I quit because the game stopped offering anything.  I got my Rank 9 tiger emote (you can get glowy animal emotes for doing well in the open tournament style pvp), and I spent a couple weeks in top-ten gvgs.  After that, well, there really is nothing else.  Sure theres some titles you can attempt to farm out, but... whee?

--------------------------

WAR has been pretty fun, but not without its launch issues.  But I kinda expected that.  I have to say, the fact that you can start doing scenario pvp basically right after you make a character (and not be 100% useless) is pretty cool  (scenarios buff you to their level tier, so the first tier will buff you to level 8, and up your weapons, armor, and stats accordingly, however you will not get any of the combat skills you dont have yet).  So yeah, leveling up in pvp is pretty slick.

-------------------------

I can recommend avoiding Silk Road, besides the fact that its a free korean(I think?) MMO, it has numerous issues like: Pointless "careers" (thief, merchant, merch defender (or whatever its called)), AMAZING amounts of grind, and a stupidly complex learning curve (Seriously, nothing tells you that you should only be putting skill points into like two things, or that you can farm the shit out of skill points for bigger bonuses).  Oh, and the pvp is somewhere between non-existent and pointless.

---------------------------

Also, Your vid card should handle most anything out there right now.  You might not be able to max out graphics, but I dont think theres anything out right now that requires more than you have.
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

Nodaisho

« Reply #23 on: 23 Oct 2008, 20:03 »

Yeah, you should be able to run just about any MMO just fine, from what I remember, they tend to be more RAM and processor-focused (though if you have a really crappy card, it can make a big difference, but that is only if you have a 64 meg onboard or the like).

clockworkjames

« Reply #24 on: 23 Oct 2008, 22:33 »

I hasten to mention that Guild wars was better 3 years ago, too few users spread over too many campaigns now. Which is a shame because the content is ace and OMG MAD KING COMES IN 1 WEEK! :-D

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #25 on: 24 Oct 2008, 11:59 »

Yeah i still have more fun with the original. (Factions is Horrendous)

Mein Tumblr

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #26 on: 24 Oct 2008, 21:35 »

hurf durf hurf durf hurf durf hurf durf hurf durf hurf durf hurf durf hurf durf hurf durf hurf durf hurf durf hurf durf hurf durf hurf durf hurf durf

well that's just, like, your opinion, man.
also israel

Statik

• Furry furrier
« Reply #27 on: 25 Oct 2008, 01:06 »

I hasten to mention that Guild wars was better 3 years ago, too few users spread over too many campaigns now. Which is a shame because the content is ace and OMG MAD KING COMES IN 1 WEEK! :-D

I think they kind of shot themselves in the foot with the way they did things.  The campaigns and world map got too complex and pointless, and moving between campaigns is a pain in the ass.

Also the fact that pvp practically demands you own every expansion.

The duplicate skills are kind of silly.  Especially some of the ones they chose to duplicate, I cant think of any off of the top of my head, but there were some ones that really made you scratch your head and wonder what the fuck they were smoking, when they thought of "X" as skill worth duplicating.

While I enjoyed the whole dual class dealie, again, I think they kind of shot themselves in the foot with how they set up things / set up a level cap, etc.

Because really, how many more fucking unique skin swords with the exact same stats do I need, oh, and fight through a stupidly hard, complex dungeon thing to get it.

Also, the 2D world (being able to stand on a bridge, and block people below you / viceversa) can seriously go fuck itself.

clockworkjames

« Reply #28 on: 25 Oct 2008, 01:37 »

Is not a perfet game but they are trying to make everyone happy at the same time.You often hear about hardcore players moaning about lack of endgame content, and when they give it all the casual gamers moan about it being too hard and time consuming. As for 2 of the same skills, it is pretty awesome to have desparation blow and drunken blow in my dolyak sig mesmer stance tank build even if they do the exact same thing.

Statik

• Furry furrier
« Reply #29 on: 25 Oct 2008, 08:58 »

tbh, I thought most of the "endgame content" was rather bland and uninspired.  It was pretty to look at, but just wasnt very fun.  Or just stupidly difficult for no good reason.  PvP was where the more interesting challenges were, and while Tombs (Or whatever the stupid island thing is called now, I forgot) was interesting, and gvg more so, there wasn't much variation to the pvp.  Which is kind of fucked up considering the game was marketed towards pvpers from the get-go.  Each expansion brought like 4 new guild hall maps, and a small handful of shitty random arena, and boring team arena maps.  Whats funny, after a while, I think the most fun I had in the game was playing mesmer "tag" (which actually got picked up by A-Net for their holiday games).
 (reduce your HP to 105 w/ runes, max FC, max Air, Orb, strike, windborne speed).

They need to figure out who they care about more.  the PvP crowd or the PvE crowd.  I dont think they did a terrible job balancing the two, but they need more than one guy doing pvp skill balancing.  (Also the fact that warriors were, maybe still are, the highest DPS in the game)

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #30 on: 25 Oct 2008, 13:11 »

GW2(which comes out god knows when) apparently lets you play as Charr, and some other races. I hope they fix those problems as well.

Mein Tumblr

clockworkjames

« Reply #31 on: 26 Oct 2008, 03:01 »

Mesmer dodgeball? Yeah it's okay but there are not many PvP options except AB, RA, HA, TA, HB, GvG, zaishen PvP,  not much endame content apart from 18 GWEN dungeons, UW, FoW, TotPK, Hard mode so you can do all the missions again but with better loot and different foes, along with millions of build combinations to play with, hundreds of areas to discover, titles to achieve, gear to get, holiday events which add even more content...

Oh wait-

Statik

• Furry furrier
« Reply #32 on: 26 Oct 2008, 15:50 »

The majority of the pvp you mention is insipid.  I wont even go into hero battles, as that was (is?) a title farming joke.  RA was full of people who really didnt know what they were doing, or brought "pve" builds into there and did nothing useful.

Team Arena had its moments, as did GvG.  Tombs (or Heroes Ascent) was stupid for the few months I played to get my Tiger, my second accounts deer, a friends deer, and every single other time I played it when bored.  I think it was more fun running broken builds and basically just pissing people off than it was to actually accomplish anything.  Or joining high ranked IWAY teams and being completely fucking useless, and showcasing how little they actually understood about pvp.  (like when Air spike got big again, bringing those earth magic buffs that slow you down and make you more vulnerable to air magic, that was pretty hot.)

As far as end game content, I never said there wasnt a lot of it, just that most of it was bland and incredibly fucking boring.  I did FoW and UW dozens of times, I got FoW armor on a couple of my avatars, helped a couple people get theirs.  I had my 55 monk gear which I soloed UW with it.  None of it was very interesting.  GvG was interesting, for a while, but honestly, the FOTM cycle finally started to get boring.

And yeah, dodgeball, dont know why I thought it was tag?

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #33 on: 26 Oct 2008, 22:30 »

You dudes are awesome help =)

Thanks.

clockworkjames

« Reply #34 on: 27 Oct 2008, 09:17 »

RA was full of people who really didnt know what they were doing, or brought "pve" builds into there and did nothing useful.
I think it was more fun running broken builds and basically just pissing people off than it was to actually accomplish anything.
Pot called, said you are black.

You QQ about the game you obviously played alot, and yet after having done all of it, every last bit you think it is all rubbish? Pessimists sux. Kill yourself.

Guild wars is an awesome games and I encourage anyone who likes that sort of thing to play it.

actreal

• Emoticontraindication
  • Loved by good, feared by evil
« Reply #35 on: 28 Oct 2008, 19:29 »

For two different sorts of MMO experience, I suggest Eve Online and Puzzle Pirates. No orcs or elves in either.
Quote from: Hannelore
COME ON THEY ARE BUILDING A RAMP

Statik

• Furry furrier
« Reply #36 on: 29 Oct 2008, 06:52 »

Pot called, said you are black.

You QQ about the game you obviously played alot, and yet after having done all of it, every last bit you think it is all rubbish? Pessimists sux. Kill yourself.

Guild wars is an awesome games and I encourage anyone who likes that sort of thing to play it.

Because hindsight is 20/20.  I did enjoy parts of the game.  I think the game is well done, and there are good / enjoyable parts of it.  However I stand by the fact that I think they shot themselves in the foot with some of their design decisions.  (And that most of the end game pve content is boring)

And I never said all of it was shit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Puzzle pirates is definitely worth checking out, its not for everyone (but what is?), and the game is basically set up where you cannot come away from it without a smile on your face, even if you decide its not for you.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #37 on: 29 Oct 2008, 15:41 »

I'll second Eve Online.  It's the most complex MMORPG out there, without question.  It's nearly completely player-driven, massive, and boring (if you're too chicken to play it).  By that, I mean that most people are too afraid to get killed, so they lurk and skulk around instead of having fun.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #38 on: 31 Oct 2008, 09:41 »

Eve Online always sounded interesting, but it sounds like a game that punishes you for being low level.  Like the big guys can come bye and sodomize you at will.  Do free servers exist so I can take a gander?

And I play Ragnarok Online, its a guilty... erm... I wouldnt say pleasure per se.  Maybe kind of a release, ok so its a guilty release... no that doesnt do it either.  Whatever it is Im not proud of it.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #39 on: 31 Oct 2008, 13:17 »

Eve Online is hard on everyone. There's really no point at which you cannot be sodomized anymore, except perhaps, if you're at the absolute peak of the social hierarchy and have many, many allies. And even then, one must always be careful.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #40 on: 31 Oct 2008, 15:34 »

That was maybe the most amazing thing I have ever heard of, I have a total boner right now!
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

OneoftheLost

• Not quite a lurker
  • Wandering Gentleman
« Reply #41 on: 31 Oct 2008, 17:33 »

http://www.onrpg.com/

Thar be a good list if you are curious about free mmo's.

In my opinion Knight Online ( The prequel to Guild Wars) is still good for a free mmo. 9 Dragons is another good one, same idea, just with an asian accent.

EVE is an odd one.

Its freakishly hard, overly complicated, and will suck more hours out of your life then any other MMO. Yet it also can be one of the most fulfilling.
Carpe Diem

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #42 on: 31 Oct 2008, 22:46 »

Yeah, sure, EVE's a great game, especially when my friend tried to get me into it, I played for three months and didn't get ANYWHERE, and quit. Seriously, a game where its pretty much required for you to mine for resources at early levels and not do anything exciting pisses me off. Sure, there's missions for killing stuff, but the money you earn off of them was nil in comparison to the freakishly high difficulty levels, combined with a boring flight system and non-intuitive combat. Fuck Eve Online, seriously. Especially since the only thing you can look forward to at higher levels as you lie and scam and backstab your way to the top is only to be toppled in a crushing defeat by others doing likewise that basically means you wasted 2 years of your life, sounds like a load of fun to me. Eve online, an interactive spread sheet. If I wanted the corporate world I would be in business school right now.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

CarrionMan

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • The RP Syndicate
« Reply #43 on: 01 Nov 2008, 01:52 »

I recently heard of a MMOFPS which sounds pretty awesome. No grinding, and huge, large scale battles that make it feel less like paintball matches, and more like you are a soldier in war. Uses a similar system to Frontlines, where capturing objectives changes the frontline's position in the battle, yet it is also flexible to the amount of troops moving. You push through the line, the line will move. You flank, it'll shift. I thought it sounded kewl, and seemed like a change in the monotony of MMORPGs.
"I am accusing war. I am accusing man. I am accusing universal stupidity."

Nodaisho

« Reply #44 on: 01 Nov 2008, 02:11 »

Know of the name of the game? I know of Planetside, and WW2 online, is it either of those?

CarrionMan

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • The RP Syndicate
« Reply #45 on: 01 Nov 2008, 02:43 »

I really can't remember the name, I'll have to ask my brother tomorrow. I know it is a console game, but that's it. It looks pretty awesome.
"I am accusing war. I am accusing man. I am accusing universal stupidity."

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #46 on: 01 Nov 2008, 09:50 »

If you're talking about Huxley, that's not even in closed beta yet.  And all signs point towards the 360 version coming later.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #47 on: 01 Nov 2008, 09:59 »

Only play Maple Story if you hate fun.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #48 on: 02 Nov 2008, 00:07 »

Has anyone played Tabula Rasa?(i think that's spelled right)

Mein Tumblr

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #49 on: 02 Nov 2008, 05:02 »

Yeah, sure, EVE's a great game, especially when my friend tried to get me into it, I played for three months and didn't get ANYWHERE, and quit. Seriously, a game where its pretty much required for you to mine for resources at early levels and not do anything exciting pisses me off. Sure, there's missions for killing stuff, but the money you earn off of them was nil in comparison to the freakishly high difficulty levels, combined with a boring flight system and non-intuitive combat. Fuck Eve Online, seriously. Especially since the only thing you can look forward to at higher levels as you lie and scam and backstab your way to the top is only to be toppled in a crushing defeat by others doing likewise that basically means you wasted 2 years of your life, sounds like a load of fun to me. Eve online, an interactive spread sheet. If I wanted the corporate world I would be in business school right now.

Hilarious!
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up