THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 02:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 458002 times)

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #750 on: 17 Jan 2011, 11:38 »

I had that problem, my mum tried to tell me "oh god it doesn't taste of anything!" but I really don't like the taste of quorn, I much prefer just having vegetables in the sauce than substituting with quorn.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #751 on: 17 Jan 2011, 11:40 »

Next time you look at a can of chef boyardee pasta in meat sauce, check the ingredients! The meat chunks are actually textured soy protein (ever wonder why it doesn't feel like meat?).
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #752 on: 17 Jan 2011, 11:52 »

That's the thing though James, tvp tastes good/like nothing, but the quorn tastes...quorn-y. Similar textures, but distinct flavor difference. I know loads of vegetarians who swear by it though.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #753 on: 17 Jan 2011, 11:53 »

I'll have a look out for TVP, but I think quorn is the only mince that they sell in our tesco, could probably venture further afield though.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #754 on: 17 Jan 2011, 12:09 »

You can actually get dried TVP and then make a batch of it with whatever broth or spices you want, but that may be a hippie-food store sort of item.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #755 on: 17 Jan 2011, 14:48 »

When I last used TVP, it was pretty much like crumbling a soft rubber (eraser  to you!) into my food - i.e. it ruined the entire dish.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #756 on: 17 Jan 2011, 15:45 »

If you get the dried stuff, also get, like, some dried mushrooms or tomatoes or something and use the juice leftover from re-hydrating the mushrooms for re-hydrating the TVP. Alternatively, re-hydrate it in a soy/miso preparation for a more meaty flavour.
Dried TVP has been available at every Bulk Barn I've been to.

TVP is not a miracle food that will let you make burgers or anything, it is basically a mostly bland little bit of protein that feels like a cross between meat and an eraser (rubber to some of you).

TheInfamousMeg

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #757 on: 17 Jan 2011, 20:52 »

Does anyone have any good Indian food recipes? I make a mean curry, but I want to learn more. Any ideas?

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #758 on: 17 Jan 2011, 22:44 »

Quorn really is a pitiful excuse for food. I appreciate that vegetarians may sometimes want to substitute meat in a dish to achieve a similar effect, but you can do so much better than this. If nothing else, at least tofu carries flavours well and is far nicer to eat.

TheInfamousMeg - The Hairy Bikers have some Indian good recipies in some of their books and some of them will be online on the BBC website.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #759 on: 17 Jan 2011, 23:00 »

For Indian cooking I'd highly recommend buying the book 1000 Indian Recipes. Provides exactly what it says on the cover. I've cooked a heap of recipes from it and they've all been fantastic.

TheInfamousMeg

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #760 on: 17 Jan 2011, 23:09 »

Thank you both!

imagist42

• more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #761 on: 18 Jan 2011, 00:36 »

So I posted this in the photo thread but didn't realize it's a little more in line with this one!

Some roommates and I arranged a dinner date for which each of us with our respective dates cooked one course for a gigantic meal. The theme was middle eastern food and my date and I made some baklava for desert!

The point of it all was to make something we've never tried before. We snagged recipes off allrecipes.com, made shopping trips together and went for it. Below you can see the other dishes, including Persian chicken, Lebanese-style hummus and potatoes.

Everything was pretty incredible if you ask me.

Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #762 on: 18 Jan 2011, 01:10 »

Nobody made fattoush? Bad Decision.

I have decided (once again) to try and start cooking at home more, so that ben and I don't waste so much money eating out all the time. Tonight we made mexican chicken wrap things (chicken, tortillas, "burrito seasoning", salsa and salad stuff) which were pretty tasty, and simple to make. We worked out we have all the ingredients to make the 'burrito seasoning' that we used to coat the chicken, but it was a slight convenience-based decision I made when buying the stuff. Plus there is heaps of chicken left over for me to have for lunch tomorrow, so I actually will eat more than a honey sandwich and a bowl of coco pops tomorrow! Now I just have to try and find some quick and easy recipes so that we don't go get takeaway at the first sign of not wanting to cook.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #763 on: 18 Jan 2011, 04:13 »

This is definitely cheating because I will not be cooking, but I am going to a supper club! And we will be eating:

* Grape Leaves Stuffed with Lemon Zest Confit, Poppy Seed, Sumac, Feta and Black Olive Risotto

* 100% Homemade Tortilla Chips tossed with Smoked Paprika & Fleur du Sel and accompanied with Fresh Guacamole and Chipotle Pepper Pico de Gallo

* Roasted Garlic & Belgian Ale Hummus and Alexa's Tabouleh served 'Taco Style' in Mediterranean Flatbread

* Cheddar & Cream Cheese Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers

* Korean Kimchee & Tofu Croquettes with a Harissa, Chive & Sweet Shoyu Mayonnaise

* Dark, Milk & White Chocolate assortment with Fresh Fruit

My mouth is watering already.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

imagist42

« Reply #764 on: 18 Jan 2011, 09:21 »

I've never heard of the stuff before, but it looks delicious. That said, I don't know that any one of us could have picked a proper assortment of ingredients and applied the right amount of seasoning to do it justice.

Also this thread is incredible, why haven't I read it before!
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #765 on: 19 Jan 2011, 14:12 »

after a convo with sam, i decided to do things up right and i did that quinoa dish i posted earlier but i put a fried egg on top. bada bing – breaking the yolk gave about seven or eight bites an added richness. popping an egg on something is an easy way to basically sauce it up. i highly recommend it.

also, tip for that quinoa thing i posted? when you're sauteeing the mushrooms, throw in a splash of sesame oil – it adds exactly the right flavour to the dish.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #766 on: 19 Jan 2011, 17:57 »

I'm really proud of myself, I have cooked actual dinners three nights in a row! Nothing too exciting, but it's been a while since I made much besides rice or noodles (aside from some baking). This week I made:

Monday: sauteed pierogis, with tomato sauce on mine
Tuesday: curry rice with chickpeas and tomatoes
Wednesday: basmati rice, pierogis with tomato sauce and sauteed onions (for me), and baked chicken breast with sliced potatoes and onions (for the boy)

Do you guys have some advice on cooking chicken? It is not something I know how to do, what with the vegetarian parents and all. Raw, it's all gooey and skeeves me right the fuck out, and when cooking I've no idea how to heat it sufficiently without it drying out and becoming a rock. As in, oven temp + cooking time = clueless Rosie. I don't need nothin' fancy, he won't eat scary things like green vegetables or mushrooms, but so far all I've really mastered is chicken taco kits, so any tips would be appreciated.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #767 on: 19 Jan 2011, 18:08 »

I cook chicken breasts in a frypan with the lid on. Do it at a half-heat so it cooks slowly. You can stick a knife in to check for pinkness if you're not sure it's done. A tiny amount of pinkish fluid is okay as long as the meat is all white.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #768 on: 19 Jan 2011, 18:53 »

Funny you mention it, I'm about to cook me up some chicken right now. I tend to do it on the stovetop too, since I don't have access to a grill up here. I'm actually gonna try and recreate something I came up with a while ago, cooking it with a little bit of cola and some habanero peppers. The soda gives it a nice sweetness to balance the heat of the peppers.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

imagist42

« Reply #769 on: 19 Jan 2011, 19:32 »

Frying pan on medium to low heat is pretty much the way I go without grilling or doing some recipe-based baking/marinating. Do you use oil? That's probably a silly question, but if not, coating the chicken itself in some and/or using some in the pan could help prevent you from drying it out. Too much, of course, could easily burn it, so be extra careful with the heat.

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #770 on: 20 Jan 2011, 18:03 »

Made an almost-Caprese salad tonight - had no bococcini so I used brie, and I reduced some balsamic vinegar to drizzle over it. So delicious.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #771 on: 20 Jan 2011, 19:10 »

Chevre is my favorite for insalata caprese.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #772 on: 20 Jan 2011, 22:39 »

If you don't like handling raw meat, get a chicken brick (basically a terracotta roasting dish) and roast the whole chicken. Failing that, put it in a normal roasting tin and cover with foil. Times are, and always will be 20 minutes for each 500g + 20 minutes. If like me you're a compulsive chicken stuffer, don't forget to add time for the weight of the stuffing and another 10 minutes if it's really dense. The Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall method is well advised. Crank the oven up to 190oC for the first third of the time/30 minutes, which ever is shorter and then knock it down to around 140oC for the remaining time.

The resulting chicken will be nice and moist and tasty. The bonus being is that this is a cheaper method of buying chicken and when you strip all the meat off the carcass you'll have plenty for lots of different meals. Roast chicken fries pretty well in preparation for things like curries, soups or anything else really.

Either that or suck it up and start handling the raw meat. If you're over in the US or Canada then you might want to start buying whole chickens anyway. From my experience, that side of the Atlantic has a tendancy to inject beef stock into chicken breasts in order to get them to weigh more and therefore make more money. The consequence of this is that the meat feels more slimy and gooey, which is not the natural state of chicken meat. With a whole chicken a bit of practice will mean that you can have one jointed in about 10 minutes. You end up with better meat, with greater range and it's still on the bone, which can benefit a lot of recipies.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #773 on: 21 Jan 2011, 12:15 »

Urg, that assumes that you're down with handling COOKED meat as an alternative though. Not sure about Rosiepants, but I grew up in that same household and oh man no way am I yanking apart a chicken *ahem* stripping all the meat off the carcass.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #774 on: 21 Jan 2011, 12:37 »

Boneless skinless chicken breast is basically the way to go if you're afraid of meat. It's a little sticky but it isn't bloody-red and unless you cut it you don't see the muscle grain or anything. You're just going to have to wade into the chicken breasts if you want to be able to handle meat.

Frying with a lid on is a good way to keep moisture in. Usually I just fry' em till they're nice and brown on the outside, flipping once, without a lid. Just don't be afraid, like lunchy said, to stick a knife in there. As long as the meat isn't pink inside you're good.

Poaching is pretty safe if you want but I'm not as fond of it. Basically toss them in water/stock/wine and boil for a while. I do not know the times because I never do it but it is lower-stress and much harder to dry out. I like to throw a thin level of beer/stock/broth/wine/whatever's on hand in the bottom of a fry-pan sometimes to give some flavour and moisture.

I'd recommend grabbing just one of those basic cookbooks that give you basic reliable recipes for most things (or How To Cook Everything by Mark Bittman if you want more stuff because it is a solid book). Also this guy's blog is call How To Cook Meat and it is a stand-up resource for meat. I like it a lot. His broiled, brined pork-chops are one of my regulars now.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2011, 12:39 by Slick »

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #775 on: 21 Jan 2011, 12:55 »

Yeah I am not so interested in having an entire dead bird in my house. Especially because the one meat-eater in the house is terrible about leftovers.
 I usually get the boneless skinless breasts but still it's all jiggly and squishy and ew. I'll have to try the frying pan + lid method some time, sounds like people kind of prefer it.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #776 on: 21 Jan 2011, 14:39 »

Pretty much the only meat I ever cook these days is frozen boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders.  I have the same growing-up-vegetarian-and-being-kind-of-weirded-out-by-meat thing.

I grab a couple out of the bag, throw 'em in a hot pan with a little bit of oil, wash my hands immediately.  When they've browned on both sides, I add a 1/2 cup (ish) of wine, beer, or teriyaki sauce/water--if I'm not feeling lazy, I might make a real sauce, but some liquid helps keep the chicken moist and adds flavor.  I continue to add liquid as needed if it starts to look dry.  I cook them like that until I can't see any pink, then add some chopped veggies in the last couple of minutes (usually broccoli, green beans, spinach, chayotes, or some combination).

This (1) limits my handling of the chicken to >10 seconds, and (2) tastes pretty good.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #777 on: 21 Jan 2011, 14:48 »

How did you guys take the step from being vegetarian and then eating meat? I simply can't imagine a situation where I'd think "yeah, I'll try that!" after twenty years of just automatically not eating meat or fish.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #778 on: 21 Jan 2011, 14:59 »

I decided I would eat meat when I was an au pair in Italy--I figured that I was there for the cultural experience and part of that was eating what the family ate.  They didn't eat that much meat anyway, so it wasn't a big deal.

Then when I got back, I never really went back to being vegetarian.  I considered going back last year (some of you probably remember my Vegetarianism Crisis), but I ultimately decided that it was easier just to eat less meat and only serve it on occasion.  I probably eat some meat maybe 2-4 meals a week now.  Not much.  If I'm eating alone, I pretty much never cook it.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #779 on: 21 Jan 2011, 22:20 »

I'm guessing that there are a fair few people here who wouldn't favour my draconian policy on having to kill and prepare one thing, at least once, in order to be allowed to eat meat. Be warned, when I am supreme ruler of the world for life, no one gets off lightly.

To be fair though, the frying pan and lid method is pretty good and when I'm just doing chicken breasts without doing anything special to them then this is what I do. Worth noting that if you cook them with the skin still on, chicken breasts will automatically stay more moist and taste more chickeny (unless your supplier has done the upthread and injected them with beef stock, in which case just more salty. This is mostly only done to intensively farmed broiler chickens), I would have thought that the feel of skin wouldn't be as bad as the feel of the meat.

If your going to go down the route of frying pan and lid for chicken, consider the thighs as well. If available, they're also usually sold skinless and boneless and being darker meat means that they have a deeper flavour that stands up well to being cooked with other bolder ingredients. My stock recipie for these is to fry them plain and put them in a heated ciabatta with pesto and some salad for a tasty sandwich.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #780 on: 22 Jan 2011, 01:09 »

Chicken is by far the most disgusting of the common raw meats.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #781 on: 22 Jan 2011, 12:40 »

Easiest way to cook up chicken, like other people have said, is to cook it in a pan in some oil (just enough to cover the bottom). I've never done it with a lid, because I've never had a problem with the chicken being dry. An easy recipe for chicken that I like is take some olive oil, some italian herb mix, and garlic (I usually use powder or salt, but fresh works too), coat the chicken in the mix, and then cook it on the stove in the oil over medium-low/medium heat. (Also Italian dressing + more herbs works very well, too.)

And if you don't like touching chicken, just use a fork or tongs or something. I usually make the oil mix first and then open the pack of chicken and use a fork to handle the meat so I don't have to wash my hands every 5 seconds. (I'm OCD about washing my hands after I've touched raw meat.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #782 on: 22 Jan 2011, 14:37 »

also: if you're having difficulty like physically working with the breast, make the switch to real poultry parts. i still find breasts kind of gross but doing up a thigh or a wing or a leg or whatever is actually somewhat less disgusting because it isn't just an anonymous lump of muscle. it's weird to think that seeing something with a bone in it might actually be less discomforting but really handling a meat teardrop is basically garden-variety nasty

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit

imagist42

« Reply #784 on: 22 Jan 2011, 15:46 »

if you're having difficulty like physically working with the breast
nnnnnngh

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #785 on: 22 Jan 2011, 18:36 »

i hear you, brother

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #786 on: 23 Jan 2011, 09:52 »

Whoo! A while ago I decided that baking bread would be a good thing to learn. After continiously forgetting that i had flour and all the doodads for a few weeks, i finally got round to it!

Behold!

(I think i should have used 2 packages of yeast, but hey, i call it a learning experience!)
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #787 on: 23 Jan 2011, 15:56 »

I say this purely out of curiosity, but what kind of countertop is that? Snakeskin?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

ackblom12

« Reply #788 on: 23 Jan 2011, 15:59 »

Textured stainless steel I'm guessing?

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #789 on: 24 Jan 2011, 00:43 »

Whoo! A while ago I decided that baking bread would be a good thing to learn.

- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #790 on: 24 Jan 2011, 00:44 »

the lesson here being if you can make a bitchin pasta you are still raw
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #791 on: 24 Jan 2011, 01:11 »

I really need to learn to make pasta. Might have to add it to the new years resolutions list.

In the mean time I did some baked coley last night, which was lovely. Topped it with a quick onion and fennel sauce, made by the simple method of slicing said onion and fennel, sweating it, adding garlic, tarragon, parsley and some vegetable stock. All served atop roasted squash and potato.

Incidentally, whilst handling the fish last night it did occur to me that those that aren't down with handling meat might get on well with white fish as the raw texture is a lot less meaty then meat. Of course you would have to like fish.

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
« Reply #792 on: 24 Jan 2011, 21:00 »

I've never heard of the stuff before, but it looks delicious. That said, I don't know that any one of us could have picked a proper assortment of ingredients and applied the right amount of seasoning to do it justice.

Also this thread is incredible, why haven't I read it before!
It is beyond the thunderdome amazing.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #793 on: 25 Jan 2011, 10:36 »

the ability to bake bread is one of the things i miss most about having an apartment with a real kitchen. well, the ability to bake anything really. all i have down here is a hot plate and a toaster oven. it is difficult to be alive.

as soon as i get out of here and into a real apartment, though: BREAD PARTY
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #794 on: 28 Jan 2011, 14:53 »

chicken, buttermilk biscuits, green beans and gravy.  So good.  Tomorrow Steve is going to use the leftover chicken to make chili. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #795 on: 28 Jan 2011, 14:56 »

BREAD PARTY

Some of my friends do this! It's a "man" thing, though, so I have not gone, but I would like to learn how to make bread eventually.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #796 on: 28 Jan 2011, 14:58 »

BREAD PARTY

Some of my friends do this! It's a "man" thing, though
You, go crash that shit at the first opportunity.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #797 on: 28 Jan 2011, 15:30 »

Linds what are you talking about, I have seen you as a man and you're far more convincing than many men with the testicles to prove it. Just go in drag!

imagist42

« Reply #798 on: 28 Jan 2011, 16:23 »

chicken, buttermilk biscuits, green beans and gravy.  So good.  Tomorrow Steve is going to use the leftover chicken to make chili. 

I have no food to speak of at the moment house and seeing this picture is not doing good things to me

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #799 on: 28 Jan 2011, 21:27 »

I have perfected Pizza, Pad Thai, Quesadillas, and a relative amount of breakfast food.  What's interesting though is how impressed people are by the fact that I can make garlic bread.  Seriously, I've told people that I had garlic bread the other day and the reaction I get is almost always "you bought it from Safeway? That stuff is so expensive." and the reply is "No, I make it myself." And it's followed up by "How!?"  Seriously.  It amazes me.  The ingredient list is one word longer than the name of the dish(?)

I'm going to make Eggs Benedict later next week, probably on the weekend.  If it turns out well I will post delicious, delicious food porn.  

Living alone forces you to learn very quickly how much/little you eat.  It can be irritating to cook a recipe and realize that you only really wanted to make half of it because now you have a bunch of leftovers that you don't really want anymore.  Took two months to figure that out.

-edited because I am both awesome at making an excellent noodle-based dish as well as paying for delicious food.
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2011, 00:04 by Ikrik »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 47   Go Up