THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 23:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 468437 times)

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #850 on: 15 Feb 2011, 22:34 »

I have some extra cash (in my mind it is Steak Money, proper noun status) but I can't decide between a couple of ribeyes or a couple of t-bones or a mix of both or even if I should just use the extra money to try making something else that'd be awesome.

T-Bones ain't shit, rib-eye is the King of Steaks
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #851 on: 16 Feb 2011, 00:45 »

Just made meatballs for dinner, basing them off lunchy's recipe, but a little different. We added chopped up bacon but forgot the italian herbs. Then used a bottle of pasta sauce because I was too lazy to get stuff to make the sauce. The meatballs are maybe a little bit bigger than I wanted them to be, but oh god they are delicious. That makes two nights of cooking dinner in a row, because we had steak an salad last night. Cooking is tops.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #852 on: 16 Feb 2011, 03:59 »

Yay!

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #853 on: 16 Feb 2011, 18:32 »

I also used Lunchy's meatball recipe! But I substituted the beef for lamb and the beef stock for a fork of mint sauce. And then I used them in a meatball, caramelised onion, mushroom and sweet potato pizza.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #854 on: 16 Feb 2011, 19:16 »

This is not a bad result for something that I made up off the top of my head. Maybe I should start working some variations. Put 'em in a book. Call it 'LUNCHBALLS' or something equally delicious.

ummmkay

• Curry sauce
« Reply #855 on: 16 Feb 2011, 19:31 »

call it "lunchables"

duh

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #856 on: 16 Feb 2011, 19:41 »

I also have some made-up recipes for Thai Chicken balls and Baked Italian Chicken Meatballs.
Chicken Mince: Not Entirely Useless.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #857 on: 16 Feb 2011, 20:48 »

Here is the chili Steve made with that leftover chicken from last page.  I forgot to post it before. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #858 on: 16 Feb 2011, 21:40 »

oh man chicken chili is the best chili
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #859 on: 16 Feb 2011, 22:08 »

I also used Lunchy's meatball recipe! But I substituted the beef for lamb and the beef stock for a fork of mint sauce. And then I used them in a meatball, caramelised onion, mushroom and sweet potato pizza.

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

did you mandoline the sweet potatoes? that's how i'm picturing it. god damn
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #860 on: 18 Feb 2011, 14:29 »

We don't have a mandoline in halls. I did my best to cut them into lengthways thin strips though, so it made a second base between the dough/sauce and the rest of the pizza.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #861 on: 18 Feb 2011, 14:48 »

YES perfect

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #862 on: 19 Feb 2011, 16:20 »

SALAD YOU CAN MAKE FRIENDS WITH

Although this does involve a bit of work at the stove, it is so absolutely divine when scoffed with a beer on a hot hot Saturday night, and it's really filling.

You will need:
Pumpkin (I used half a butternut, about 800g before preparing), cut into batons of about 1.5cm
Haloumi cheese (250g packet), sliced into bits about 4mm thick
Green beans (a good handful), topped and tailed and cut in half
Chickpeas (a small can), rinsed and drained well
Rocket (aragula) or baby spinach leaves, however much you want
Honey
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
One lemon

How to make it:
Start with preparing your pumpkin. Place the pieces onto a lined or greased baking tray and roast. I cooked mine at 240C for about twenty minutes.
While the pumpkin is cooking, grill your haloumi. I did it in a frypan with a splash of olive oil, but if you have a grill that's probably better. Make sure they're golden on both sides. Set aside on paper towels.
Cook your beans. I did mine in the microwave in a pyrex jug, with a bit of water and then covered with cling wrap. Nuke on high for two minutes, then take them out and immediately rinse them in cold water. This stops them cooking and makes them nice and crunchy.
After rinsing your chick peas well, try and remove any skins that are floating around. Put in a bowl and squeeze half a lemon over them.
Rinse your salad greens and pat dry.
When your pumpkin is almost done, pull the tray out and drizzle the pumpkin with a little bit of honey. Put back in the oven for another 5 minutes whilst you prepare the dressing.
In a coffee mug, mix the juice of the other half of the lemon, one tablespoon of olive oil and two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar.
Get the pumpkin out and set aside to cool for a minute.
Mix the rocket, chickpeas and beans well with the dressing. Add the pumpkin and haloumi and mix gently.
Serve in big bowls and eat it in your underwear whilst making "Mmm" noises.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #863 on: 19 Feb 2011, 16:56 »

Haloumi is so good, so delicious.

I'm making steak with onion marmalade tonight. And tater tots. Tater tots!

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #864 on: 19 Feb 2011, 18:40 »

i made carnitas

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #865 on: 19 Feb 2011, 19:10 »

I am making braised lamb with white wine, cremini mushrooms and tomatoes. Simple recipe, but a lot of work.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

imagist42

• more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #866 on: 19 Feb 2011, 20:34 »

i made carnitas

those are kicking the ass of the tuna fish sandwiches in my stomach and making me feel like roast beef
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #867 on: 19 Feb 2011, 21:04 »

The day when I realized tacos could be made with things besides ground beef was a brilliant day indeed. Also on that day I had corn-on-the-cob with mayo & chili powder on it (this is what the mexicans do, I swear!).

I have been thinking about plated desserts so much recently that I really want an arc of sour cream nestled in an curve of salsa on that plate for garnish.

I bought pizza-takeout tonight for supper on the assumption that when I came home at one o'clock after drinking with friends, that I'd find pizza in my fridge and be super-stoked about it. Instead I really really really want what you've got there, Mr. C. It Looks So Good.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #868 on: 19 Feb 2011, 23:33 »

Dredged in flour and pepper, braised w/ garlic and rosemary, then boiled in white wine and beef stock with some chopped tomatoes and crimini mushrooms, baked at 350 degrees for 2 hours and change.

Next time I'm going to have to add some peas and carrots. Get myself a stew goin.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #869 on: 23 Feb 2011, 19:07 »

Check out my box! It is made of chocolate!

Also there is a chocolate flower in there too!

whom

• Plantmonster
  • fire is pretty
« Reply #870 on: 23 Feb 2011, 19:09 »

I WANT THAT
Yum...chocolate...
You don't know what it's like to be stuck in my mind all the time

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy
« Reply #871 on: 09 Mar 2011, 20:14 »

What do you call putting high-deas into practice?

winning
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

JimmyJazz

• World's Forgotten Boy
« Reply #872 on: 09 Mar 2011, 20:24 »

Next time I'm going to have to add some peas and carrots. Get myself a stew goin.

Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #873 on: 09 Mar 2011, 21:07 »

What do you call putting high-deas into practice?

obesity

JimmyJazz

• World's Forgotten Boy
« Reply #874 on: 09 Mar 2011, 21:08 »

hey man why you gotta ruin me and my roommates' bacon-hot dog fun

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #875 on: 09 Mar 2011, 21:27 »

It doesn't count unless you deep-fried them.

I'm making chicken fried steak this weekend.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Papersatan

« Reply #876 on: 12 Mar 2011, 15:55 »

Oh My.  SO my Dad retired last year, and since has been having cooking adventures.  Last year he made his own corned beef.  It was the best corned beef ever.  This year he did it again, only he also bought a smoker and made pastrami.  I just ate a piece.  It was so good.  SO GOOD!
My mother told me he is looking to buy a pork belly and make his own bacon next.  Why am I moving away?

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #877 on: 18 Mar 2011, 03:16 »

Oh, hey, look at me, posting in this thread.

Hey, Johnny: if you make that tortelini-arugula-lemon stuff, I have a few recommendations to improve it beyond "make pasta, sauté greens, mix" (which is what it looked like).
1) Lemon juice in the pasta water, along with the olive oil and salt and pepper. Seriously, it gets into the filling. A+
2) I discovered that properly sautéing the rocket/arugula in the olive oil pulls out most of its flavor, so don't cook it long at all, I guess (as in, less than 2 minutes on low heat?). I am going to try just marinating it in olive oil and more lemon juice next time and see if not cooking it at all is nice. Also, I used baby arugula because it was all I could find, and that probably affected the flavour, but it is still pretty strong and peppery raw, so.
3) Put some romano on it and let it get kind of melty before you eat it. I used parmesan because it was all they had at the ghetto cheap grocery. It was ace.

Also beware, cooking the rocket smells bad unless you are right next to it. Like, collard greens-bad.

I hate cooking, why did I like this so much
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2011, 03:18 by calenlass »
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #878 on: 24 Mar 2011, 14:34 »

Man I sure hope I have a UNSC mandate to back my actions in this thread because I'm about to commence with some PHOTOBOMBING!

OK, so, that last one, not quite so pretty as the rest of them. That one was slop-supper.

WE'VE GOT:
-German lebkuchen (think gingerbread cookies, but better) dipped in & garnished with chocolate
-Chocolate French macaroons filled with white chocolate-orange ganache
-More lebkuchen, formed into pretzel knots and drizzled with chocolate
-Piped chocolate filigrees
-'Collapsed Souffle' cake stuffed with kirsch & gran marnier ganache, coated in ground almonds and cocoa, and plated with chocolate sauce and blueberry coulis. Also topped with a bitchin' cool chocolate garnish.
-oh yeah, my supper. It is like, two fried eggs, topped with fried beef and onions, green salsa, and dubliner cheese. It was goddamn delicious.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2011, 14:36 by Slick »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #879 on: 24 Mar 2011, 14:49 »

MACARONS ARE THE BEST FOOD EVER PLEASE TELL ME MORE ABOUT HOW YOU MADE THESE.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #880 on: 24 Mar 2011, 15:08 »

Why don't your macarons have feet, James? Hm? Hm Did you not let them sit long enough?

May there are lots of macaron recipes that the the rest of the cooking blogs swoon over here.

Hey cooking thread!
I have made an amazing revelation. Don't peel your potatoes before cooking them for mash! Then when the potatoes are almost done, add corn kernels! Then prepare as usual. This tastes amazing and the texture is great.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #881 on: 24 Mar 2011, 16:07 »

Wait. I just read your post again. WHY HAVE I NEVER SEEN A MACAROON WITH FEET?

Macarons: serious business.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #882 on: 24 Mar 2011, 17:31 »

The poofy bit on the bottom of a macroon is its feet. You're in France! You should see them everywhere!

Getting the pied, or feet, on macarons is one of the trickiest achievements in baking. The pied is the cute little ruffle on the bottom edge of the cookie. Without the pied, you couldn’t really call it a macaron. There are loads of things that can prevent you from getting those elusive little ruffles. Ogita says that rapping the baking sheet against the counter and drying the batter before baking are factors. Others say it’s the macaronnage (the mixing of the batter before piping) is what has the greatest impact on the feet. And still others point to humidity: the more humid the environment, the more difficult it is to make macarons in general. (Some of the best instructions I’ve found on macaron technique is on an excellent post on Food Nouveau.)

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #883 on: 24 Mar 2011, 18:17 »

When I first saw macaroons, I thought 'man how did they kind of mess up their meringues' and then later I realized that was intentional. I still think it looks a bit ugly but hey I should learn how to do it the way people like it!
I think I did not fold in enough of the nuts. I realized a conversion rate was inconsistent and that I consequently had too much dry mixture prepared, so I stopped folding in business when it looked like it'd hold up shape nicely.
Also my oven is wonky wonky at home and seems to be maybe 25ºC hotter than it should be these days. That's what I'm blaming the cracks on.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #884 on: 24 Mar 2011, 18:24 »

James to be honest I am just as turned on by yr slop as I am by anything else in that post.

Hey cooking thread!
I have made an amazing revelation. Don't peel your potatoes before cooking them for mash! Then when the potatoes are almost done, add corn kernels! Then prepare as usual. This tastes amazing and the texture is great.

I left the skins on last time I made mashed potatoes (confession: mostly out of laziness) and it tasted awesome. Everybody else looked at me like I was crazy though.

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #885 on: 24 Mar 2011, 18:39 »

Yes I always do this.

Also I always boil my potatoes with garlic and onions.  Sometimes extra chunky Italian Dressing.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #886 on: 24 Mar 2011, 19:01 »

I left the skins on last time I made mashed potatoes (confession: mostly out of laziness) and it tasted awesome. Everybody else looked at me like I was crazy though.

what

There are people out there who take the time and energy to make their mashed potatoes have less nutrients and flavor?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #887 on: 24 Mar 2011, 20:00 »

I also read in a cooking mag that people like their mashed potatoes extra smooth and go through the effort of pushing it through a mesh sieve to get lumps out. LUMPS ARE GOOD. WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU.

ackblom12

« Reply #888 on: 24 Mar 2011, 20:01 »

I would typically agree but properly made riced mashed potatoes are sexual.

Papersatan

« Reply #889 on: 24 Mar 2011, 20:12 »

when I make them I mash them with the skin.  One time Stephen cooked for me and he followed a recipe for mashed potatoes, from Job of Cooking I think.  He boiled onion in the water, and riced them, they were outrageously good.  But on your average night? leaving the skins on, mashing them with a masher. 

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #890 on: 24 Mar 2011, 22:53 »

mashed potatoes are food for bitches. roast or die

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #891 on: 26 Mar 2011, 15:54 »

Supper was roast turkey, balsamic caramelized parsnip w/bacon, roast veg, and rice. Chicken was rubbed beneath the skin with a mixture of butter, rosemary, oregano, and finely chopped dried peppers & tomatoes (home-dried). That layer was absolutely gorgeous by the skin but the flavours didn't carry into the meat at all.
Roast veg were OK but the chicken was tiny so they weren't in the oven as long as they really wanted which was a shame because the onions were close to, but not quite, awesome.
Parsnips were par-boiled, then cooked on high in a bit of bacon fat and butter for four minutes a side, then the bacon went in along with a tablespoon of white balsamic vinegar. This is one of my favorite new things, but really the bacon did not add anything (typically it is just butter) and I think I like the intensity of the dark balsamic better.
All around pretty good.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #892 on: 02 Apr 2011, 19:06 »

Was missing home, so I'm giving baking cookies a shot. Found a recipe online for chocolate cinnamon cookies, shall see how it turns out in... 2 minutes.

Cookies complete!

Before:

After:

They're pretty darn tasty, though the first batch I pulled a little early, and the second batch I left just a few second too long. So I have soft-falling-apart ones and crispy tan ones. Both of which I am ok with. I'm very happy with how nicely the cinnamon came through. Could perhaps use a few more chocolate chips next time....
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2011, 19:48 by SirJuggles »
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #893 on: 03 Apr 2011, 11:32 »

Went out for a walk today in Cressbook Dale in The Peak District and came across a motherlode of wild garlic. Naturally I gathered up a big stash and bought it home.

First adventure in this was a lovely salsa. Once handful of wild garlic chopped fine, a handful of small pomodoro tomatoes thinly sliced, three sticks of celery finely chopped, some fresh basil, a squeeze of lemon juice, a pinch of dried coriander (didn't have any fresh, which I did), pinch of salt, hefty grind of pepper, a dash of balsamic vinegar, half a teaspoon of dijon mustard and some olive oil. Absolutely stunning and fresh and flavoursome. You can do anything you like for a good salsa but that was a good one.

Looks like the wild garlic has come out sooner than I thought and unfortunately it doesn't hang around for too long, it'll probably be gone by mid May. I can only strongly recommend you get out there as soon as possible and get picking, you won't be disappointed. If you're not that familiar with this, it's really easy to come by. Head out to a deciduous, mossy wood, not to thickly populated, and sniff around. The smelll is pretty pungent, garlicky and you won't mistake it for anything else. It grows in thick blankets next to and amongst other plants like bluebells that also grow in great swathes. It's thick, glossy green leaves grow in small clusters, sometimes with white flower heads. If in doubt, rip a leave and have a sniff, you'll know. It's one of the best wild flavours available and not to be missed.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #894 on: 03 Apr 2011, 17:09 »

I ate this for lunch today.

I wish this was the first time I could say a webcomic influenced what I put in my mouth, but it is not, nor will it be the last. In fact, now I want to have a webcomic themed potluck party.
« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2011, 17:12 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #895 on: 03 Apr 2011, 18:25 »

I mean the original comic was pretty funny when I read it, but that looks absolutely awful. Never let a child like that come up with a meal.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #896 on: 03 Apr 2011, 18:29 »

:-D :-D :-D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :-D :-D :-D

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #897 on: 03 Apr 2011, 18:33 »

Okay I've been thinking about it for a bit, its not too much of a stretch to cut up hot dogs into mac and cheese, and I suppose the crunch could offset it nicely, but... never mind I don't even know

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #898 on: 03 Apr 2011, 20:03 »

Yeah man. People combine hot dogs and mac'n'cheese all the time. And both the crunch and flavor of the taco shell actually contribute quite a lot to the thing. I am not dissatisfied with it. I might have another one for lunch tomorrow.

However, my wife made this for dinner.

Because she thinks she's better than me is what it is. (That is a chicken breast stuffed with mozzarella, feta, and dried cranberries, then wrapped up all tasty style in puff pastry next to an artichoke that we made ina  crock pot so it got weird and brown, but it was still super delicious because it is a motherfucking artichoke, the king of food.)
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #899 on: 03 Apr 2011, 20:56 »

How does one eat a whole artichoke? Especially from a plate that small?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 47   Go Up