THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 457678 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #900 on: 03 Apr 2011, 21:57 »

I....I didn't know people didn't eat whole artichokes? I have never been in the middle of eating an artichoke and thought "man, I cannot eat any more artichoke. Toooo much." My thought process is more like "next I'm gonna eat that leaf and then that leaf and then that leaf and oh shit I'm so close to the end gonna eat some HEART YES."
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #901 on: 03 Apr 2011, 22:00 »

But what happens when you get to the choke? What happens when you get a throat full of fluff and needle-sharp leaf tips?

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #902 on: 03 Apr 2011, 22:01 »

maybe I should try this art-choking thing
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #903 on: 03 Apr 2011, 22:14 »

So do you like... peel the leaves off with your fingers and then put them in your mouth? It just looks impossible to try and cut with a knife and fork is what I was getting at.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #904 on: 03 Apr 2011, 22:17 »

OH!

Okay

You eat an artichoke by pulling a leaf off, then you dip the end that was attached in some sort of fatty flavorful substance (like butter or mayonnaise or even don't it's still tasty) and just kind of scrape off that end with your teeth. As you get further down, that end gets more and more tender until you are basically just eating half the leaf and then at the bottom you can't eat anymore. But that's when it gets awesome because after you cut off the choke, which is a bunch of really awful pointy stringy things, but is pretty easy to remove, you're left with a whole fresh artichoke heart which is delicious as all fuck.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #905 on: 04 Apr 2011, 07:55 »

then you scoop out the tiny stringy bundle in the center of it with a spoon though, don't forget that.

I use straight up balsamic vinegar with mine because it is amazing.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #906 on: 04 Apr 2011, 09:51 »

i'm as baffled as jordan. artichoke leaves are tasty and then you work your way down to a delicious and tender prize. it's like you are digging through a bunch of gold and then underneath the gold is a diamond. why would you just want the diamond when you can have the gold and also the diamond. doesn't make sense. doesn't parse.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #907 on: 04 Apr 2011, 12:01 »

Mmmmmmm I love artichokes! My mum grows them in her garden, and I don't remember when the harvest is but I sure hope it falls between now and October or I've missed it...
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #908 on: 04 Apr 2011, 13:12 »

I am intrigued by the hot dog mac and cheese taco. But maybe in not a hard taco. Hmm. I really want to experiment with that. Maybe with garlic toast or a soft taco and my mac recipe.

Also I have never eaten an artichoke by itself. I've only had it chopped up in other dishes, like pasta and whatnot. Has anyone ever grilled one? It's getting warm. I want to grill pretty much every vegetable ever right now.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #909 on: 04 Apr 2011, 16:04 »

I will buy an artichoke next time I am cooking dinner for myself. I have eaten artichoke hearts in stuff but had no idea how they actually worked. Thanks dudes!

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #910 on: 04 Apr 2011, 19:55 »

I love, love, love artichokes, but they are on the list of foods that I only make on rare occasion because my boyfriend doesn't like them (he had the same, "What? How do you even eat that?" question at first) and because they take a long time to cook properly.  Artichoke in the crock pot is a really good idea.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #911 on: 05 Apr 2011, 03:09 »

Tonight's dinner is kicken kievs with buttery garlicky cabbage and steamed broccolli and zucchini. The cabbage isn't as good as I would have liked, because I stupidly put in too much of the really hard part of the cabbage, but on the whole this dinner is amazing. And I'm not just saying that because I haven't eaten in eight hours.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

nufan

• Curry sauce
« Reply #912 on: 05 Apr 2011, 04:43 »

Man why are y'all talking about artichokes when that chicken/mozeralla/feta/cranberry thing is sitting right there, I mean those are literally like 4 of my favourite foodstuffs in one

FUCK artichokes

ackblom12

« Reply #913 on: 05 Apr 2011, 05:46 »

FUCK artichokes

They certainly are fuckable.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #914 on: 05 Apr 2011, 06:57 »

Ow.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #915 on: 05 Apr 2011, 06:58 »

Melons are more fuckable.

ackblom12

« Reply #916 on: 05 Apr 2011, 07:06 »

We still need to make that T-Shirt some day.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #917 on: 05 Apr 2011, 07:59 »

Man why are y'all talking about artichokes when that chicken/mozeralla/feta/cranberry thing is sitting right there, I mean those are literally like 4 of my favourite foodstuffs in one

because it's really nothing out of the ordinary to find these things crammed into one pastry?

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #918 on: 05 Apr 2011, 09:01 »

Used some more wild garlic in a cheese sauce last night. Now I'm thinking that I'd like to dip chargrilled artichokes into a wild garlic and cheese sauce. That would be excellent.

When I first heard people outside my family talking about eating artichokes I got really confused because they were talking about eating the leaves. Before then the only ones I'd had were Jerusalem artichokes, which aren't even closely related. Mind they're pretty tasty as well and I've been known to cook the two together. Works pretty well.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #919 on: 07 Apr 2011, 17:11 »

So today was eclair day! I have to make some eclairs with chocolate whipped cream for my practical exam in a week and a half, so I baked out some choux paste, dipped them in tempered chocolate, and filled them with chocolate whipped cream and orange-spice pastry cream. They were pretty good but could use some work, firstly in the topping, since tempered chocolate is good for a sit-down plated dessert eclair, but much less useful if you are holding it and munching it. Ganache is better. I do not like fondant at all, though, it is just like a waste of sugar. Why even bother doing that?
Filling was good, pastry cream was a stunner, I'm keeping that recipe. Simmered some cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and orange peel in the milk before making the P.Cream with it, then made it with a bit extra starch and added some fresh-squeezed OJ when it was done. Worked well.
Chocolate whipped cream was just 1 cup cream 2 tbsp cocoa 2 tbsp sugar, was OK but next to the gorgeous pastry cream was pretty bland. I am going to have to try out a recipe with melted chocolate folded in next, I expect the texture may be nicer on that.
Also drizzled the tops with orange-coloured white chocolate for garnish. I tried a few things, my favorite was striping 45-degrees off-set to the line of the eclair.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #920 on: 08 Apr 2011, 01:51 »

Tomorrow I think I am going to a Morning Market class, where we spend five hours going round the markets in Paris to buy fresh produce, then go back to the kitchen and cook a three-course meal with it, and then eat the meal! It's a gift from my employer for my birthday and as a leaving present and I could never have afforded to do something like this myself. I'm excited about it :D There's a nice litle market in Cambridge which often has fruit and vegetable stalls and an amazing cheese stall, so hopefully I'll be more inspired to shop there instead of always going to Sainsburys. I'll let you know what we cook.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #921 on: 09 Apr 2011, 21:03 »

I offered to cook/help cook for my friends the other night. They are three boys who all live together and I think they have used their kitchen about two or three times to actually make a proper meal in. They eat out all the time and it is ridiculous. When I offered to cook, my friend suggested salmon, and I said I'd never had it before (aside from the once, on sushi that he made me try, and I also liked). After he got over the shock of that, we went to the shops and got supplies! Yay delicious dinner.

Maple glazed salmon, mash, corn, greens. (I've never had asparagus either which is why I only have one piece there, it was good as well!).

Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #922 on: 09 Apr 2011, 22:12 »

Salmon and asparagus is like my go-to meal when I am eating alone, it is delicious and so easy and also healthy! Yay! I like baking the salmon in foil with lemon and herbs.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #923 on: 09 Apr 2011, 22:19 »

Foil or baking paper, parcelling the fish and then baking it is my favorite way to do it. It also means less mess.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #924 on: 09 Apr 2011, 22:39 »

Yeah, we covered it in some olive oil and then coated it with the maple glaze (maple syrup, fresh lime and uh... a bunch of other stuff Luke put in it, I wasn't paying too much attention as I was doing the veges). It was DELICIOUS. I will have to investigate the lemon and herbs/foil thing. That sounds really delicious.

Do you just use mixed herbs?

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #925 on: 09 Apr 2011, 23:32 »

Depends what you want. With salmon I tend to use either whole basil leaves/make a pesto with pine nuts or you could go with lemon, horseradish, shallots and dill (one of my favourites).

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #926 on: 10 Apr 2011, 03:19 »

Just made chicken & mushroom pasta with crushed tomatoes, onion, garlic & tarragon.  It turned out pretty delicious!
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2011, 03:20 by est »

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #927 on: 10 Apr 2011, 03:37 »

While all the autumn pine mushrooms (or saffron milkcaps, if you prefer) are available in Australia, there's a really delicious and simple recipe I like to cook.

Cut a red capsicum into strips, chop up a bunch of pine mushrooms (noting that pine mushrooms don't reduce as much as other mushrooms when you cook them), and chop some spring onions (even though they're not really in season at the moment - do as your conscience allows you, I guess), and cook them all together in a frying pan with some olive oil (cook the capsicum for a while by itself first so that it gets nice and sweet). In a saucepan, cook some couscous (pearl couscous is particularly good for this recipe), and in another saucepan steam some fish (salmon works really well, but I've also used trout). When everything's cooked, cut the fish into chunks and just toss everything together, seasoning with pepper and salt, and serve.

Cooks in minutes and it tastes great.

Papersatan

« Reply #928 on: 11 Apr 2011, 21:21 »

Today, I made mac and cheese in a rice cooker.  It was pretty good.  I was impressed. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #929 on: 11 Apr 2011, 23:14 »

Wait, you can do that? I have a rice cooker and I only ever use it to cook rice. How is this done? I've only ever had mac and cheese once and it was homemade so I enjoyed it.

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #930 on: 11 Apr 2011, 23:23 »

Fun trivia: Roger Ebert wrote a whole book of rice cooker recipes
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #931 on: 11 Apr 2011, 23:25 »

mac and cheese isn't that hard. cook pasta, melt cheese over said pasta (possibly in the oven), maybe with some cheesy white sauce in it to make it saucier.

BAM.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #932 on: 11 Apr 2011, 23:31 »

I just cook pasta and then stir grated cheese through it. Easiest dinner ever.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #933 on: 11 Apr 2011, 23:40 »

I do that maybe two or three times a year if circumstances have led me to not have a proper meal available. Usually I drizzle some olive oil and grind some pepper and chop some parsley into it, too, so I can pretend that in the moment of eating that meal I at least have a little bit of class and dignity left.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #934 on: 11 Apr 2011, 23:53 »

Pfft, class and dignity. Sometimes I swig red wine straight from the $5 bottle to add to the experience.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #935 on: 12 Apr 2011, 00:20 »

here's the mac and cheese you're going to make.

you're going to need four cheeses, and i recommend making one of them a sharp cheddar of some description and the other one either romano or parmesan. the last two you'll want to select based on the flavours you're going on, and you'll also want to consider whether or not you'll be adding anything extra like say peas or bacon or whatever. gruyere and emmenthal are good go-tos, although a smoked gouda would add some depth and richness. there's a lot of cheeses out there so like use your judgment. you'll be making this in a skillet, so make sure you have about say two cups of the cheddar and one cup of the other cheese, roughly grated. you'll need about a cup of the parmesan, finely grated. if you're feeling sassy you can go half-and-half with parmesan and another nice fine-grated cheese, like asiago or pecorino romano. the recipe is for an eleven-inch skillet, i should mention, so if these numbers sound stupid for that size of skillet then you can always adjust.

first thing to do is make the pasta. in an 11" skillet you'll want about a pound. cook it just north of al dente; you don't want it to be too edible just yet.

next step is probably to make the stuff you'll put on top. get about two cups worth of breadcrumbs and mix them with some chopped herbs and about half of the the finely-grated cheese. set it aside and preheat the oven to 400˚F.

you're going to then take out your cast iron skillet and make a quick butter-based roux with two parts milk and one part cream. this too you can mix up although you're going to be using a bunch of cheese so it might be a little over-the-top. whisk in a small amount of dry mustard, a few pinches (no more than a half-teaspoon) of kosher salt, and if you're an asshole you can mix in hot sauce. i'm not an asshole so i don't do that. add the remaining half-cup of finely grated cheese and whisk it so it melts and incorporates. then add the other cheeses, stirring the whole time.

now you've got your sauce. turn the heat off. stir in your drained pasta slowly, making sure that as it goes in you're coating it with the sauce. if you're adding something else this is the place to do it, as well. when it's all added top it with your breadcrumb mixture. break a few pieces of butter off your stick and put them on top. be smart and deliberate; although you're definitely in for a penny, in for a pound w/r/t calories here, you also want to be smart and make sure you're just doing this so that the breadcrumbs crisp up and the dish is nicely balanced from top to bottom. put the skillet in the oven (friendly tip: put a baking sheet underneath it so that any spillover goes onto that and not the floor of your oven) and let it bake for 20-25 minutes.

the result is like seriously beautiful and if you're on top of your game you can have it ready inside of a half-hour. it's also the most delicious heart murder possible, basically. if you can make the roux with duck fat you've got the regular recipe topped but that's about the only way.

and the really nice part is that this is a recipe for everyone. have a family? make 'em mac and cheese. have roommates? do this and then weasel your way out of some chores. have a girlfriend or boyfriend? make this for him or her and watch the swooning commence; just don't expect this date to end in sex or really anything other than laying around with a big smile on your face and trying not to pass out. live on your own? well, okay, here's the best part: the first round of this stuff is really good. but leftovers preserve really well, especially if you mix everything all up and put it in another container and then whenever you want another serving you just slap a helping of it into a hot and barely-oiled pan and make fucking pan-fried macaroni and cheese. this can last you like a week and you honestly don't get sick of it. which is good; making it costs a bit of cash due to the cheese expenditure but if you're the only person eating it then you can stretch that investment out for several meals.

the best side dish is a braised green. get some kale or chard or something and while the macaroni bakes chop and sauté the greens quickly with some garlic and shallots then cover them with a nice sharp braising liquid, like a wine vinegar. turn the heat way down and let them gently cook. drain them of the braising liquid when you're done and serve on the side; the acidity of a properly-made braised green is a wonderful balance for the rich gut-bomb you're serving as a main course.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #936 on: 12 Apr 2011, 00:23 »

doing it in a rice cooker is more than acceptable, by the by. but that's the dish you make when you want macaroni, cheese, dignity, and class.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #937 on: 12 Apr 2011, 00:30 »

Okay I normally shun recipes that use a roux or cheese sauce because I really hate white sauces but you've sold me on that one, Johnny. The only problem is I don't have a skillet that can be ovened.

My nan used to crumble potato chips on top of her cauliflower bake and I remember that being the best part of it, can I try that if I do not want to buy breadcrumbs and have them sit in a jar for years and years like what happened last time I bought breadcrumbs? I never buy actual bread (or if I do, it's a French loaf and there are no survivors) and I don't know if my cheapo blender made it to my new house so fresh breadcrumbs are out.

Also if the only fresh herb I have is basil, is that cool or do I need oregano and sage and marjoram and crazy stuff? Is it ok if I used dried herbs?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #938 on: 12 Apr 2011, 00:41 »

you don't have a skillet that can be ovened? go get a cast iron skillet, you can find one for twenty bucks pretty darn easy and it's the most valuable thing to have in your pantry although you probably know that and have a good reason and i'm being a dick foreven bringing it up. i suppose you can make all the other stuff in separate dishes and then use a casserole dish for the actual mac & cheese but the nice part about the skillet is that you do literally everything in that one dish. breadcrumbs you can use potato chips or you can probably just go to a place that sells bulk stuff and buy some breadcrumbs; you might even be able to find some with herbs in already. either that or go get panko since panko is hella versatile and wicked proper crunchy. basil is fine and of course dried herbs are okay; if you have parsley and some other whatever that'll be alright. they mostly add colour and a bit of aromatic depth to the thing, they're not the most important ingredient.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #939 on: 12 Apr 2011, 01:05 »

Twenty bucks I do not have! Casserole dishes I have aplenty. I have a French oven that I got for Christmas but I don't think the lid handle can be ovened, that is ok though since I guess you don't need the lid here.
Maybe I should ask for a skillet for Easter as my mother was very upset when I told her that I did not want any chocolate please.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #940 on: 12 Apr 2011, 03:38 »

Casserole dishes are just fine for mac and cheese.

I rekcon the four cheeses is overdoing it a bit, especially if you're using a proper mature cheddar. I usually go with two. Mind you, I also add garlic. Measuring cheese is also something I don't bother with (actually, unless I'm baking something, I just about never measure). If it looks thick enough, it is, if it doesn't, add more cheese. When making the roux, remember that the longer you fry the flour, the darker it will be so if you're using lighter cheese but want a darker mac then let it get nice and brown. If you're adding garlic, add it at this point in the roux to fry.

Johnny C is also remiss in not mentioning nutmeg as a great ingredient in a mac and cheese, it really adds another dimension, I put it in my favourite version, which is a mild cheddar, Spanich Manchego and basil. For the topping I don't mess about with butter on the breadcrumbs, just mix in some parmesan an the result will be ten time better.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #941 on: 12 Apr 2011, 05:02 »

This is how I make mac and cheese too, although if you only have one cheese that is fine, as long as that one cheese is a good sharp cheddar. Also if you slice a tomato on top of the breadcrumbs before baking, all the better.

Panfrying the leftovers is nice to do in slices, but that works best if you baked in a casserole dish rather than a skillet.
Ho, ho, ho!

Papersatan

« Reply #942 on: 12 Apr 2011, 05:22 »

yeah, usually I make it with a sauce and bake it.  We are trying out things that can be cooked in a hotel room though.  The recipe was 2 cups pasta, 1.5 cups broth in the rice cooker for 15 min then add 1 cup milk and 1.5 cups cheese plus any seasonings you wand, 15-20 more min.  Because of the hot on the bottom it comes out with a crispy crust like baked mac and cheese. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #943 on: 12 Apr 2011, 05:30 »

Things I use to make mac and cheese: a pot and a casserole dish. I do not have a cast iron skillet. Actually I think our stove would break if you put one on it.

Anywho, mac and cheese without a roux is not nearly as good. Johnny's recipe actually sounds pretty close to what I use (with exception to the specific cheeses and I like adding a little bit of garlic to my breadcrumbs). Like seriously, people have made mac and cheese without breadcrumbs and no roux and it's just not the same. You are missing out, people without breadcrumbs and roux. (It's one of my favorite foods, don't judge me.)

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #944 on: 12 Apr 2011, 05:53 »

Oh man, you guys made me hungry for mac & cheese so I decided to whip some up even though it isn't even 9 in the morning yet. I had my roux started when I realized I was almost out of macaroni and so I dug around and found dried TORTELLINI!!!

This is going to be the best vacation breakfast ever. I used cheddar, a parmesan/romano blend, chevre, and neufchatal. Dry mustard and Mural of Flavor from Penzey's in the sauce. Saltine crumbs on top.
Ho, ho, ho!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #945 on: 12 Apr 2011, 07:10 »

Man, that sounds like heaven. I'm making mac and cheese for dinner tomorrow if I have time. I may prep it tonight, who knows!

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #946 on: 12 Apr 2011, 10:18 »

I usually go to the cafe across the road and say 'can I have mac & cheese, please?'.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #947 on: 13 Apr 2011, 12:40 »

Before I leap off into the great unknown, has anyone here done any cooking with nettles?

If so, advices please.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #948 on: 13 Apr 2011, 13:09 »

I've eaten nettle soup, and it was good, but I've never made it.
Ho, ho, ho!

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #949 on: 13 Apr 2011, 15:14 »

the thing about that macaroni recipe is that it's perfectly servicable at like two cheeses. but, like, if you have the time and advance thought, why not just go to a deli or butcher and get yr cheese mongered for you? if you buy what you need rather than a brick it's a reasonable price.

eed – it can actually probably work with a bunch of different pastas. tortellini is a nice and easy choice. so long as it's small and shaped and holds sauce well you're golden.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 47   Go Up