THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 457531 times)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #1000 on: 19 Apr 2011, 00:55 »

You've actually identified the issue I have with adding herbs and other sundry to a burger, which is that, if you treat it right, a beef burger can be really akin to steak in terms of quality and flavour. The difference is that, especially if you're using fresh beef, you want to taste the beef, for it to have a flavour that stands on its own. I usually go with a three-meat blend when I'm making fresh burgers; I get the butcher to grind me a mix of sirloin, brisket, and chuck. If I'm feeling really sassy I get oxtail in there instead of the chuck, since it's a wonderful cut. The aftertaste I want out of that isn't an aftertaste of herbs or garlic or whatever, it's just the round and present taste of beef. This is also why I try and keep the toppings complementary, rather than things that drown out that flavour; you want to heighten the taste of the meat, not overwhelm it or subdue it. And the difference with toppings is that those don't cook into the meat and the meat doesn't absorb their flavour. Instead, they contrast it. That's what you wanna aim for.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #1001 on: 19 Apr 2011, 01:45 »

If it's going to be akin to steak in quality and flavour, why even go to the bother of grinding it up?

I'm not saying you're wrong, sometimes it's great to really focus on the beef flavour, but sometimes there's beauty in the artful combination of flavours and it's just as complementary as toppings, if not better. Burgers have had al kinds of stuff put in them for hundreds of years and for a reason. One of the things for me is that I'll probably attend a fair few barbeques over spring and summer and often it'll just be plain beef and many of them will be good. If I do the same with them at home, then I'm just repeating what I had last week and it gets boring after a while. What I really want to aim for is that perfect rolling journey of flavours across the tongue against a beautiful meaty background.

I had a burger once that was steak and liver combined. Now that was a serious stand alone beef flavour, you might like to give that a go.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #1002 on: 19 Apr 2011, 02:08 »

That's a really interesting idea! I feel like you'd want to be careful that the grassy, tangy liver doesn't overtake the comparatively mild steak, and I think you'd also probably have to be careful about doneness with that, but it could work nicely.

As for the burger having the quality and flavour of a nice, regular cut of meat – well, why not? Doing ground chuck is certainly okay, but if you can make it better, why not go ahead and do so? Seems to answer itself, to me.

(also the reason they've had stuff put in them is the same, historically, as most other additives – it helped cut down on the cost and stretch them thinner so that more can be sold without more meat having to be produced.)

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #1003 on: 19 Apr 2011, 02:21 »

Spices and herbs are hardly a cost cutting exercise.

The liver didn't overtake the steak and the doneness wasn't a problem. You can have liver a bit rare anyway.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1004 on: 19 Apr 2011, 07:35 »

minced onions, worcestershire.  I do this with 80/20 grocery store ground beef which has been in my freezer for weeks.  It is the best.  No breadcrumbs, no eggs, no nonsense.  I feel like adding breadcrumbs and eggs makes burgers meatloafy which, while I love meatloaf, is not a burger. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #1005 on: 19 Apr 2011, 12:16 »

Well, since I'm a student and don't wish to feast on fatty, chewy beef, I'm going to try and do a lot of bean burgers this summer. I've got a crap ton of beans (We're talking cannellini beans, kidney beans, borlotti beans) and split peas (yellow, green) that I can bind together. Chop 'em roughly, and then just bind together like regular burgers. Will save money, and my arteries.

Doing it with pork is an interesting idea, I'll have to try that one out...

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #1006 on: 19 Apr 2011, 14:34 »

apologies for monster sized picture of monster sized perogie burger.

delicious delicious perogie burger. baconweave, cheddar, perogies, sauted sweet onions, sour cream, ketchup, mmmmmm so good.
tuesday is the day i dedicate myself to getting the meat sweats.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1007 on: 19 Apr 2011, 14:41 »

I hashed it out a bit with Johnny last night and I decided to go with Canadian back bacon, arugula, Home-made aioli and American cheese. Still debating whether or not to sautee or caramelise some onions and throw them on as well
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #1008 on: 19 Apr 2011, 19:16 »

what happened to the chevre! also i don't think you need onions on that, it might throw things a bit outta wack.

sourdough bread, tomatoes (i'm sorry florida wage slaves :(), lettuce, garlic-peppercorn mayo w/ a lil bacon grease mixed back in, and "excuse me mr. butcher how thick can you slice it" "however thick you want" bacon:

Suckadick Fools We Postseason

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1009 on: 19 Apr 2011, 23:32 »

what happened to the chevre! also i don't think you need onions on that, it might throw things a bit outta wack.

As weird as it sounds, putting American cheese on my burger constitutes "changing it up". I've done the chevre thing a bunch before (you tend to eat a bunch of goat's cheese when you date a girl with a dairy allergy for 3+ years, not that I'm complaining), plus I already had American in the fridge plus I'm not too keen on keeping soft cheese around when I'm the only one who'd be eating it, it'd probably just go bad.

I went with onions too, cooked on super-low heat in some olive oil until they were just starting to turn brown. They didn't throw anything out of whack. Actually the burger was just about goddamn perfect, the only problem with it was I went a bit too heavy on the garlic in the aioli, but only barely.

All in all it was definitely worth the fact that I can't cook anything in my kitchen without setting off the smoke alarm. Also, I had peanut butter m&ms for desert. Fuck yeah.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1010 on: 24 Apr 2011, 11:39 »

hey look it's my final exam!

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #1011 on: 24 Apr 2011, 11:53 »

I'm giving you a D...
For Delicious
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1012 on: 24 Apr 2011, 12:37 »

Hell yeah James! Do you know how you did yet?

p.s; Bread,

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #1013 on: 24 Apr 2011, 12:43 »

congratulations james! (how'd heather do?)

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1014 on: 24 Apr 2011, 12:43 »

Oh by the way, James, if your teachers ever need any help on judging the taste of the stuff you make, let them know I'll be glad to help.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1015 on: 24 Apr 2011, 14:37 »

I do not know how Heather did! I did not-as-well-as-I-should-have-liked, on account of a bunch of things just not going right, which is a shame. My theory marks and my assignment marks and my classroom marks are all good so it is not a bomb but it could have been better.
Pretty pleased with everything I've learned, though. Made some fun desserts for tonight, too: was going to make charlotte royale but my mom is avoiding cream so I didn't want to make the bavarian cream, so instead I stacked little towers of jelly-roll slice, creme chiboust (pastry cream & italian meringue), ground hazlenuts, jelly roll, creme chiboust, and strawberry allumettes. Would have taken pictures but we just ate them instead.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1016 on: 27 Apr 2011, 12:02 »

this summer i am making this
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

imagist42

• more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #1017 on: 27 Apr 2011, 12:23 »

the fuck
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

imagist42

• more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #1018 on: 27 Apr 2011, 12:24 »

lookin so delicious
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #1019 on: 28 Apr 2011, 00:02 »

Triple decker pizza I presume.

At a guess, sourced from thisiswhyyourefat.com

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #1020 on: 28 Apr 2011, 00:07 »

Confession: about 95% of the food posted by our American friends in this thread makes me almost gag in disgust just looking at it.

Oh wait, this isn't the confession thread! Silly me.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #1021 on: 28 Apr 2011, 00:41 »

Those pizzas look really dry and not delicious at all.
And I LOVE pizza.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1022 on: 28 Apr 2011, 09:04 »

Well, it's frozen pizza, what do you expect?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1023 on: 28 Apr 2011, 12:00 »

OK let's re-examine this concept and snazz it up a bit. It is novel enough but we've got to apply some critical thought to it to make it worthwhile.

First off, it's got to be thin & crispy & hollow crust, otherwise it's going to be a hassle to eat. Bam, easy one.
Next up, toppings: do we want each tier to have the same toppings or mix it up more in the same level? Bottom level's got to be mostly thin-shaved meats, I think, so we'll throw on some peperoni or whatever you've got plus crumbled ground beef/sausage, but not too much. Second layer would be chicken/spinach/roasted red peppers by my preference, and then I think I'd want the top guys to be cheesey mostly, so lets hit them with mozza, feta, parmesean, and, I don't know, a little bit of blue? Would probably put mozza parmesean on all of the mini-pizzas, and then half of them get feta and half of them get blue cheese, yes, that will work. That would be my first thought.

I know some people like barbecue chicken pizza, but frankly, I can not get behind that shit. If you were so inclined, making the middle layer a barbecue chicken layer could certainly be nice, but apart from that I am trying to think of more sauce variations to use here. Could always cook a bunch of dried tomatoes in with the sauce for the top or maybe middle layers to punch up the acidity like mad for a contrasting level of flavour. Some garlic-cheesey white sauce marbled in with the tomato sauce on one of the layers could be interesting too?

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1024 on: 28 Apr 2011, 15:58 »

OK new take: Middle-tier pizzas should be rosemary, sweet potato (thin thin sliced), ground turkey, olive oil, and mozza-parmesean (no tomato sauce). That is one of the best pizzas I have made, and gives us a sweet-savory poultry contrast layer. What can go on with the tops and bottoms?
Tops could be adorable little spinach-feta-roasted red pepper because that makes it the Italian colours, which is an easy out for pizza. I like that, and then the bottom tier can be rich meats.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #1025 on: 28 Apr 2011, 16:01 »

I love barbecue chicken pizza, but only from this one pizza franchise with woodfire crust, really good smoky sauce, roast chicken, spanish onion, mushroom, and tons of fetta. Awww yeaaaaah.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1026 on: 28 Apr 2011, 16:17 »

Man oh man I have got to get another sourdough culture on the go so I can make some awesome pizzas again. This summer should see a first attempt at cooking pizza on my barbecue for smokey effect (there are many reasons for this to work, as well as some reasons for it not to work).

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
  • I am not Michel Foucault
    • Facebook
« Reply #1027 on: 29 Apr 2011, 03:59 »

Has anyone ever nixtamalized corn? I've wanted to for awhile, but I don't really know where to find the right kind of lime stuff.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #1028 on: 29 Apr 2011, 05:02 »

gospel

• the word
« Reply #1029 on: 01 May 2011, 15:10 »

It might be a bit late for a hamburger contribution, but I had one the other day that was dressed with what seemed to be a balsamic reduction. My head nearly exploded at how simple but good it was. Definitely something I need to steal in the near future. I can't recall the cheese; I think it was gouda. I'm not a bread expert, so I have no idea what it was, but I sort-of liked it; was fairly chewy but still had a toasty top.  

I bought more stout than I should probably drunk, so I'm considering cooking with it. Any suggestions besides the standard Irish stew or ribs? I can't imagine the IPAs/pale ales are that good for cooking. Partial beer list
« Last Edit: 01 May 2011, 15:15 by gospel »
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #1030 on: 09 May 2011, 13:18 »

OK new take: Middle-tier pizzas should be rosemary, sweet potato (thin thin sliced), ground turkey, olive oil, and mozza-parmesean (no tomato sauce). That is one of the best pizzas I have made, and gives us a sweet-savory poultry contrast layer. What can go on with the tops and bottoms?

no turkey! keep that layer's protein limited to a nut of some kind!

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1031 on: 09 May 2011, 14:05 »

Nuts, I like that! Would go wonderfully with the sweet potato. I would think pecans or walnuts probably.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #1032 on: 10 May 2011, 23:00 »

Cooked a sweet rhubarb quiche last night and it was tasty.

Pre-cooked some sweet pastry and added stewed rhubarb, topped with a mixture of beaten eggs, milk, single cream, sugar, raisins, a pinch of ground cloves and some nutmeg. Gave it a quick stir to mix up the rhubarb a bit and baked for 40 minutes on a moderate heat. Nice, quick and easy.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1033 on: 11 May 2011, 06:10 »

At what point is a sweet quiche just a pie?
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1034 on: 11 May 2011, 07:02 »

Maybe it's a quiche because of the egg+milk?
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1035 on: 11 May 2011, 07:36 »

Yeah it is still a quiche but some people reserve the term for savoury quiches. You could call it a custard pie instead if you wanted.

gospel

• the word
« Reply #1036 on: 14 May 2011, 13:08 »

At what point is cheesecake a giant tart?

Always.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1037 on: 14 May 2011, 13:16 »

Are you sure?  I thought a tart implied pastry, and my cheesecakes are made with a base of crumbled digestive biscuits.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

gospel

• the word
« Reply #1038 on: 14 May 2011, 17:03 »

Does a different crust disqualify it from being a pastry? I'm not certain on the semantics. That being said, it's still more of a custard pie than  "cake" no? I just take meaningless contention with the word cheese "cake".

Is your cheesecake fluffy or dense? I'm a personal fan of the dense.

-Abraham Lincoln

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1039 on: 15 May 2011, 01:06 »

Dense, heavy  even - and no egg, so it's not a custard either.  It's not a cake or a pie, but only a cheesecake.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1040 on: 15 May 2011, 06:05 »

Dense. So very dense. Fluffy cheesecakes are nowhere near as good.

Hey James, another option to consider for the sweet/savory layer is prosciutto and fig. These things are amazing together on a pizza with olive oil, a little garlic, and mozzarella. SO GOOD.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Lupercal

• In conception since 1991
« Reply #1041 on: 15 May 2011, 06:37 »

So my parents went to Scotland and brought me back a haggis! It was big and it was tasty. I didn't take a picture and it doesn't really look all that great, but had it with potatoes and greens (due to me having no "Neeps") so yeah, everyone get on the weirder parts of animals.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #1042 on: 15 May 2011, 07:34 »

I saw Daniel Kitson perform his latest show a few weeks ago and among other things he mentioned flapjacks (the British version), and I remembered how my English grandfather used to love them, so yesterday I made some using a recipe I found on the internet and they were easy and delicious.

Yum, I haven't had flapjacks for eight years.

gospel

• the word
« Reply #1043 on: 15 May 2011, 08:16 »

Dense, heavy  even - and no egg, so it's not a custard either.  It's not a cake or a pie, but only a cheesecake.
No egg? Interesting. I would like to subscribe to your cooking newsletter.

-Abraham Lincoln

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1044 on: 15 May 2011, 14:13 »

Who puts egg in cheesecake? Why would you do that

(i mean except in the base i guess)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1045 on: 15 May 2011, 16:31 »

So I used to sneer at rice-cookers, but now I use one every single day... only occasionally to cook rice. It's a damned useful appliance for slowly and leisurely making stews and soups on long days full of studying and movies.

Other recent discoveries: sourdough bread is easy and good; yogurt is better strained than runny, and is an excellent ice-cream substitute. Made a sort of yogurt chocolate stracciatella ice cream the other day and it was delish. Some extra cream, sugar, honey, vanilla, white chocolate, dark chocolate poured in while mixing. It's yummy guys
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1046 on: 15 May 2011, 16:54 »

I put eggs in cheesecakes sometimes! Gives it lightness! Also, the yolks are binders which helps too.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1047 on: 15 May 2011, 16:58 »

So I used to sneer at rice-cookers, but now I use one every single day... only occasionally to cook rice. It's a damned useful appliance for slowly and leisurely making stews and soups on long days full of studying and movies.

Other recent discoveries: sourdough bread is easy and good; yogurt is better strained than runny, and is an excellent ice-cream substitute. Made a sort of yogurt chocolate stracciatella ice cream the other day and it was delish. Some extra cream, sugar, honey, vanilla, white chocolate, dark chocolate poured in while mixing. It's yummy guys

Aimless, long time no see!

I have also recently discovered the pleasures of slow cooking.  I was gifted a Crock Pot about a month ago and have made chipotle chicken chili (twice), pot roast, vegetarian chili, and lamb curry.  Yum.  All the flavors mix and blend, and meat gets tender and melty, without the addition of a bunch of salt or fat.  Plus, you generally have leftovers for a few days.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1048 on: 15 May 2011, 17:23 »

Lizzy! :D

Would love a slow cooker, but gonna hafta make do with a nice dutch oven and a great electrical oven in the mean time... I've upgraded to a real kitchen :D

The dutch oven is great. The missus roasted a nice big hunk of elk in it over several hours, and yeah it came out pretty tender and melty... for being game anyway :)
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #1049 on: 15 May 2011, 17:25 »

Find some Russian garlic and put a whole lot of cloves of that in your slow cooking. They get all soft and mushy but hold their shape and when you eat them and they're delicious.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 47   Go Up