THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 457743 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #1050 on: 17 May 2011, 02:08 »

Oh man my slow cooker rice cooker porridge maker vegetable steamer monstrosity is the best thing I have ever bought! It makes perfect risotto, perfect rice, perfect porridge - I haven't steamed any vegetables in it yet but I am going to soon (maybe asparagus if I can get any) and also I want to try making mac & cheese in it. Everything cooks soft without burning and I don't have to keep stirring and stirring, or scrub the pan afterwards, it just gets on with it. Only downside is that it underestimates the amount of water I need but I know that now, so I just put an extra cup in and it's fine.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1051 on: 26 May 2011, 11:48 »

I don't think I've ever mentioned it here before (might have said something about it in Meebo), but I started a food blog a few months ago and this week I'm doing a series of posts for National Vegetarian Week with recipes for meals my family's eaten in the last couple of weeks.

I'm hardly the world's greatest blogger, or the world's greatest cook for that matter, but I'm proud of the progress I've made in both areas since starting the blog. Anyway if anyone wants to check it out and give me some feedback/recipe ideas, then it's here: Faint With Hunger.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #1052 on: 06 Jun 2011, 07:29 »

Salmon & bell pepper shish kabobs with a special glaze. I made my sauce with brown sugar, lemon juice, ground chillies, a pinch of curry, some soy sauce and fresh dill.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #1053 on: 06 Jun 2011, 10:53 »

Looks kind of like what we grilled on Saturday, except with a lot more flavor and flair. Two lips enormously up.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1054 on: 09 Jun 2011, 15:39 »

Dear cooking thread,

after years of mucking about I have finally perfected my mint chocolate cake:

Transportation was a little rough on the decoration, but everything else came together just right this time. The strawberries and the white chocolate/lime cream were the missing pieces all along. Some cinnamon and cardamom in the cake itself were good additions. A bit of water in the oven made for a perfectly moist cake. I was giddy :D

Today we made the best carrot cake I've ever eaten, and I've eaten a lot of cake. The missus has an ancient family recipe. I provided frosting made from strained vanilla yogurt, some cream cheese, more vanilla, frosting sugar, lemon and lime juice, and some cinnamon powder sprinkled on top.

Cinnamon and cardamom should be in all cakes. goodnight
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1055 on: 09 Jun 2011, 15:51 »

rcp plz
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1056 on: 10 Jun 2011, 06:48 »

Ooooh I would love to have the carrot cake recipe please! I'm looking for a good carrot cake recipe.

Aimless

« Reply #1057 on: 10 Jun 2011, 14:10 »

was playing around with the second pic, pardon the glowiness :) recipe forthcoming, just as soon as I can steal it...!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1058 on: 16 Jun 2011, 08:49 »

I get a daily recipe email and click through to things that sound interesting, and today my eye was caught by an amazing-sounding chocolate coffee ice cream cake bonanaza. But have a look at the ingredients list:

Cake:
    3   Krispy Kreme Glazed Chocolate Cake Doughnuts
    1 pint  good-quality coffee ice cream, softened
    1/3 cup  caramel ice-cream topping
    1/3 cup  toffee bits
    Glaze:
    1/2 cup  heavy whipping cream
    1 1/2 cups  (8 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
    1/4 cup  caramel sauce

What is this I don't even THAT IS NOT A RECIPE THEY DO NOT SELL THOSE THINGS IN THIS COUNTRY TELL ME HOW TO MAKE THEM.
Bah. This daily recipe email has turned out to be a daily disappointment email.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1059 on: 16 Jun 2011, 09:03 »

I can buy Krispy Creme Doughnuts at my nearest big Tesco's, and the other bits don't seem too hard.  But I wonder if you could imitate it by mixing up the donuts with a couple of carefully selected Ben & Jerry's icecreams.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1060 on: 17 Jun 2011, 02:19 »

Hmm now I'm jealous that you can buy Krispy Creme doughnuts even though I don't actually want to just assemble processed items into a sort of cake shape, I want to make my own cake! Just disappointed that a site that claims to be a recipe site spends most of its time encouraging people to buy junk food and add it to more junk food.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1061 on: 17 Jun 2011, 02:37 »

The Internet is just one big fraud, really.

(Actually, I've had some decent recipes off it as well.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1062 on: 19 Jun 2011, 16:03 »

I made a soup for Father's Day dinner/lunch! It was good, but I was all worried because the last time I tried to make soup for my family (three Easters ago) it was a bland mushy overcooked mess. I made it in the slow cooker because (1) we went to a winery tasting in the morning so I wasn't here to watch it, and (2) I don't have a cooking pot that big because it went missing last time we moved. Anyway, it was good and we were happy and I will probably do it again because it was easy!

I used:
1 1/2 cups dried mixed beans (from a bag labeled 15 Bean Soup)
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 quarts water

Left it to cook for about 3 hours, then added:
1 16oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilis
salt, dried oregano, basil, and thyme/rosemary/basil/marjoram/etc "Italian Seasoning"
1 onion, sauteed with garlic
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1063 on: 08 Jul 2011, 21:18 »

Steak! Hullo!
Grilled steak with barbecue sauce and 'Argentinian' grilling sauce (see the fatty bit on the side? That is why you want your barbecue nice and hot, to make that stuff crisp and delicious), bacon sacchetini tossed with butter, fresh parmesean, and pepper (would have been nice to have had my homemade gnocchi in the freezer but eh, this shit has bacon in it!), and salad of lettuce, (edit: candied mother-fucking) pecans, and aged cheddar, dressed with white balsamic dressing with a drop of hot sauce.

also I guess I am dealing with the bottom of a bottle of wine that's been open a few days.

« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2011, 21:34 by Slick »
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1064 on: 09 Jul 2011, 04:50 »

Ok so yesterday I got an egg salad sandwich at a little Korean deli after our gig, and they put bacon on it. Is that a thing?? I can deal with getting my salad-no-chicken-please, but I did not know I might be in danger of getting bacon and American cheese on egg salad.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Aimless

« Reply #1065 on: 09 Jul 2011, 12:43 »

I conducted a covert raid on my girlfriend's garden/jungle and came back with a buttload of herbs and tomatoes and roman spinach.

Lunch: chicken fillet filled with home-made pesto, served with quinoa (tastes hella better if you fry it up lightly after cooking) and stewed roman spinach+seaweed+mushrooms.

Dinner: roasted beef tenderloin, just on the medium side of rare, served with lightly fried spring veggies and itsy bitsy potatoes and our first attempt at compound butter (basil, thyme, chives, rosemary, horseradish, garlic, lemon juice, balsamico).

I have never made beef tenderloin before :D turns out this thermometer thing that I'd scorned in the past is a very useful tool after all. I cried a little :') warmly recommended. The butter was very good too, and I'm glad I decided to add the balsamico, think it made the whole thing so much better.
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2011, 12:47 by Aimless »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1066 on: 09 Jul 2011, 15:12 »

Flapjacks!

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #1067 on: 09 Jul 2011, 15:22 »

So that's what you silly Great Britons call a muesli bar.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1068 on: 09 Jul 2011, 16:13 »

That's just butter*, oats, and honey - nothing else.  It's gooier than I'd expect a muesli bar to be, and has no fruit or nuts; it's possible to add a little fruit or nuts without losing the flapjack nature of it, but it's not usual.

* as we call the soya margarine I now use instead.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #1069 on: 10 Jul 2011, 04:58 »

Tom, flapjacks are so much more wonderful than a mere muesli bar.

I found a pretty decent episode for "British" flapjacks online and made them a little while, in tribute to my English grandfather who loved them.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1070 on: 10 Jul 2011, 06:51 »

"episode"?  That is so completely the wrong word it's not even a malapropism...

Lupercal

• In conception since 1991
« Reply #1071 on: 10 Jul 2011, 10:29 »

I'd say flapjacks are totally different to muesli, as I don't tend to put nuts or raisins in my flapjacks as they go super hard in the oven. When does it stop being muesli and become granola?

I love flapjacks. At college we used to have a "baked goods" Monday and on my turn I'd usually bring flapjacks - they go down a storm. 

As for replacing Krispy Kremes - can you not just get regular doughnuts and glaze them with stuff? or ice them?

My grandparents came back from Canada with some interesting stuff - an "Oh Henry" bar which looks like death in chocolate.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1072 on: 10 Jul 2011, 10:40 »

In the 1950s my Canadian aunt used to send us poor Brits a Christmas parcel, and it always contained Oh Henry bars.  I can't remember what we thought of them, but as I remember sweet rationing (the last rationing to end) in the first part of the 50s, I'm know they were welcome anyway!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1073 on: 10 Jul 2011, 13:52 »

Lupercal, if you're referring to my post then yes, that would be possible, but I don't actually like doughnuts all that much. I was hoping the recipe would be more like "300g flour, a pinch of salt, 100g butter" or whatever, rather than "Krispy Kreme doughnuts".

Lupercal

« Reply #1074 on: 10 Jul 2011, 14:31 »

In the 1950s my Canadian aunt used to send us poor Brits a Christmas parcel, and it always contained Oh Henry bars.  I can't remember what we thought of them, but as I remember sweet rationing (the last rationing to end) in the first part of the 50s, I'm know they were welcome anyway!

Its fucking crazy that people had to ration shit. Well, it isn't, but I think as my generation is the first generation in a long time that hasn't had to say "no" or go without stuff, it explains a lot really. Wars really sorted you out, what what.

Barrymoo -

Yeah, they seemed to have gone rather the Epic Meal Time way of recipe ideas.

Doughnuts are nice, but Krispy Kremes are trans-fat-tastic. And generally disappointing to me, when I'd rather just have a sugared one filled with jam.

« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2011, 14:35 by Lupercal »

Lupercal

« Reply #1075 on: 10 Jul 2011, 14:32 »

I'm also very much enjoying your blog - and as a Uni student/Sainsbury's employee I think quite a lot of it makes sense/is useful/communicates with me on a higher level.

My girlfriend has similar lunchboxes - they have animals on them, I think. Still very cutesy though.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #1076 on: 10 Jul 2011, 21:08 »

"episode"?  That is so completely the wrong word it's not even a malapropism...

Looks like it's off to the brain-scan machine with me!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1077 on: 11 Jul 2011, 01:29 »

I didn't realise anyone was reading it! That is a boost :) Perhaps I should update it more.

BlakeJustBlake

• Furry furrier
  • I am not Michel Foucault
    • Facebook
« Reply #1078 on: 11 Jul 2011, 03:56 »

Oh, hey, I have a cooking blog:

http://stonedstove.tumblr.com

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1079 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:13 »

Man you guys a flapjack is a friggn pancake, not whatever that granola/candy bar contraption is.

Oh and wikipedia totally backs me up for once, it has only referred to an oat bar since 1935 but it's been a pancake since the 17th century
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2011, 11:18 by redglasscurls »
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1080 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:47 »

And your pancakes aren't quite like ours either...

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1081 on: 13 Jul 2011, 09:13 »

Yeah I looked em up and they just looked like crepes to me.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Aimless

« Reply #1082 on: 21 Aug 2011, 14:04 »

Have had some serious kitchen abstinence while away working this summer, so I've kept myself busy this weekend now that work is over and I have lots of time. Highlights: salmon korma[ybe]; a kind of chicken biryani flavoured with maple syrup; squash-leaf dolma--some fried and some steamed--stuffed with a semi-spicy blend of shrimp and veggies, blessed by the almighty mustard-seed oil. I, too, am stuffed. It's nice to cook and eat properly again <3 I've never actually done anything with squash leaves before, filched them from my mum's balcony and boy were they WEIRD. Weird but delicious. Would probably have been easier to make the dolma if I'd steamed the leaves a little beforehand.

Lupercal

« Reply #1083 on: 02 Sep 2011, 10:51 »

And your pancakes aren't quite like ours either...

To be fair the breakfast pancakes I had in New York covered in butter, syrup and banana are probably better than anything I've had on Shrove Tuesday...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1084 on: 02 Sep 2011, 12:43 »

They're different - and they're both great.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1085 on: 02 Sep 2011, 13:30 »

This is a long reach for a quote, but I have an hour to kill before I can leave work.

Canadian-American pop-culture history: In the 1990s, there was a Major League outfielder named Henry Rodriguez that played for both the Chicago Cubs and Montreal Expos. When he'd hit a home run, fans would throw Oh Henry bars onto the field in celebration.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1086 on: 05 Oct 2011, 03:33 »

Hello, Cooking Thread. I have a question for you, which is slightly less related to cooking than to food in general: What do you with coconut?

I'm asking because I've always enjoyed cracking open coconuts - there's a certain primal satisfaction to it - but I never really knew what to do with the contents afterwards. You could eat it straight out of the shell, and it has a texture like really hard apples and a slightly muted taste. Surprisingly (to me) the coconut 'milk' inside is actually a clear and colourless liquid.

Then I happened to see how people prepared coconut in the places they actually grow (on tv that is, I'm not that well-travelled), which is to mash the contents up into a sort of porridge. I tried to emulate the result in a shamefully privileged manner: By throwing it in a blender. To make it mix I added milk and some sugar for taste, emptied the resulting mix in a kitchen sieve to let the milk run out, and what's left is tasty, chewy ground-up coconut. It tastes great on bread or toast, and blending a whole coconut gives you enough to spread on a couple dozen slices. That makes it much cheaper than buying coconut bread pre-packaged.

I also tried mixing it through a salad, but the stuff I made was slightly too sweet for that. Any ideas as to what else I can make with it?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Jam

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1087 on: 05 Oct 2011, 09:32 »

I'd say make some macaroons! Delicious and nutr- ... Well they taste good at least.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1088 on: 09 Oct 2011, 08:48 »

I'd probably not have known what you were talking about if the Dutch word for macaroons didn't sound exactly the same. I wonder who borrowed it from whom?

Those things look easy to make, so I might give 'em a try. I better axe another coconut!
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Lupercal

« Reply #1089 on: 11 Oct 2011, 08:50 »

I made fajitas and chili-cornbread the other day, it was wonderful. Love mexican food but the cornbread was something that I've never done before and was surprisingly cake-like in it's consistency, but was still nice because of all the chillis I shoved in there. A great side to any mexican meal.

And now, because Sainsbury's stopped selling them, I will attempt to make my girlfriend's favourite breakfast food: strawberry pop tarts.

Aimless

« Reply #1090 on: 23 Oct 2011, 05:50 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAekQ5fzfGM

Most useful thing I've learned this weekend. It's fast, easy, fun, and very practical. Cooks quicker. Looks cute. The carcass and scraps makes for good chicken soup. If you roast it in the oven you can make gravy from the drippings. I filled it with spinach, dried wild mushrooms, feta cheese, a kind of celery, onion, garlic and herbs.

Give it a shot!

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1091 on: 23 Oct 2011, 06:10 »

Guys, I made an awesome apple-walnut coffee cake. It as awesome taste and texture (sweet and a bit cornbreadish). "Tis delicious
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1092 on: 23 Nov 2011, 05:49 »

I made rose rolls again.  I've done them fo every birthday and anniversary breakfast since I first foud them in some magazine in a doctor's office.  Simple, really simple...

Ingrediants; one tube of crescent rolls (I use Pillsbury out of laziness)
Brown Sugar (about 2 Tbs)
Cinnamon (<1tsp)
Butter (~2 Tbsp) soft enough to spread (this time of year, that's an issue, even for the stick we leave out for toast...)
Chopped pecans.  Walnuts can work, too, but we like pecans.  You'll need to chop them more yourself...

Preheat the oven to 350.  The roll package says 375, but that usually scorches the nuts (insert obligatory joke here). 

You'll also need a full size muffin tin.  Foil cups won't do the trick. 

Roll out the dough, do not separate the triangles.  Spred them with a fairly thin layer of butter, than mix the cinnamon and brown sugar and spread it on. 

Chop the nuts much more finely than normal.  they should be about two steps away from nut dust...

Spread them out on the dough, then separate the triangles.  It's hard to see the seams, a knife helps  :wink:

Roll them the wrong way.  From the sharpest point, along the long edge. 

Pick it up and pinch the bottom closed so the good stuff doesn't leak out and stick to the pan.  Stand the rosebud in the muffin tin. 

There are eight in a tube, although they make half-tubes so you can do a dozen...

When you stand them in the tin, lean them against one side, the large pointed petal needs support. 

Oven time?  Beats me.  I start with about 15 minutes, but I think my oven runs a bit cool.  Try 10 - 12 minutes to start, and just watch them for the last few minutes.  Go for golden brown and crispy looking...

Plated.  Cute, no?  Crispy, soft inside, sweet, delicious, best warm and they stay warm for a while. 

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

usmcnavgeek

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Digital, baby.
    • Overdesigned
« Reply #1093 on: 26 Nov 2011, 20:38 »

What I Did Instead Of Sleeping One Night
A Photo Essay Slash Effortpost By usmcnavgeek

I have posted this on my other online hangouts because I am proud of it so now I will share it/force it on you all.  I made eggnog.  I made eggnog instead of sleeping because I hate myself on a subconscious level and want to punish myself by staying up all night when I really have to work on a paper.  But that's not the point. 

I made eggnog.  I will show you how I did it.

First you need to get all your stuff together.  The French call this mise-en-place.  Maybe they don't use the hyphens, you'd have to ask them, I only took 3 semesters and I forgot it all already.  But you need to get all your shit together.  This makes life easier.

Next you need to separate your eggs.  If you have one of those egg separators you can use that, or if you're pr0 like me you can just use the shell halves to do it.  Make sure that under no circumstances you get any yolk in the white.  White in the yolk is okay though.

Look I did all twelve and didn't fuck up horribly.

Okay yolks go into my beast of a stand mixer and get beaten up.

Then you add all the sugar.  Keep mixing.

While it's mixing pour out 2 cups of that bourbon.

Add it in and mix it.  This is where you take your first break and let it sit for an hour.

I had a pizza in the oven so while I waited I ate pizza.

Okay hey we're back, now measure out a couple more cups of bourbon.

Pour that shit in.

I did the last two cups as brandy.  The OP used rum.

Whatever, pour that shit in too. 

Now add all the heavy cream.  Mmm.  Realize that hey, man, your mixing bowl is getting kinda full.

Stir that crap together.  This is where you take your second break and let it sit in the fridge for 3 hours.

Okay hey we're back thanks to the magic of the internet.  Beat the shit out of those egg whites!

Beat them until they look like this I guess.

Okay, add them on top and fold it all together, thanking god that it all just barely fits in the bowl.

Now perch your expensive camera on top of your fridge in a precarious manner and take a picture of you grating the nutmeg into the stuff.  Freak the fuck out and barely catch the camera when it falls off.  Resume grating.

Commence operation eggnog storage.  Realize you fucked up and need more eggnog storage.  Whatever, put it in the pitcher and cover it with plastic wrap.

Appropriately label your storage container.  You are done.

This stuff is pretty boozy with 6 cups of liquor in it, but it tastes good.  It's actually reasonably light, the egg whites being beaten really adds some air and fluffiness to the stuff which is great because if my calculations are correct this entire recipe contains 11,088 calories or 462 calories per 1-cup serving.

Fuck yeah, holidays.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1094 on: 27 Nov 2011, 12:16 »

Oh, I guess I can make a half-assed follow-up post about those macaroons I made at home a few weeks ago. It required seperating eggs as well, and I used the half-shells to do it. Only problem was, the eggs weren't completely fresh, so in about half of them the yolk was no longer intact, so it took three tries before I finally got a good bowl of eggwhite. If you ever seperate eggs, get them fresh!

Then it was just a matter of stirring the rest of the ingredients through the beaten eggwhite. They would have turned out better if I had the foresight of not dunking the whole grated coconut in the bowl at once. That made stirring it a lot harder, and the eggwhite was a bit unevenly distributed across the macaroons. When they got out of the oven, one had too much eggwhite and was leaking, and two others had crumbled a bit. But at least they were tasty!

I might try this again once I get an oven in this garbage dump we call a communal kitchen. I just have to find something with which to crack a coconut. I don't think I can count on anyone here having an axe at hand.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1095 on: 27 Nov 2011, 12:55 »

Hammers work, too. 

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1096 on: 28 Nov 2011, 04:27 »

usmcnavgeek, I think you have made my most favourite forum post ever.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1097 on: 10 Jan 2012, 13:26 »

Baked an omelette with salmon and chives for dinner. Could use more vegetables, but it was good eating, even though I've never made an omelette before.

Before Christmas I stopped by the local pet food store and found they sell live mealworms. Like I said in the vegetarian thread, I'm looking into taking up insect eating as an alternative protein source. I'll also need to check whether or not they're actually cheaper, gram-for-gram, than traditional meat. But I also need some recipes, of course. Maybe I can bake mealworms into an omelette as well? Iowa State University has some, I may try one out tomorrow. Oh, a Chinese supplier as well, at least these have their ingredients in metric.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1098 on: 10 Jan 2012, 23:44 »

I hear most larva do well fried, but I don't know if that's deep-fried or more like sauteed in butter...

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1099 on: 11 Jan 2012, 11:49 »

Well, as a low-cost alternative to meat, mealworms are out the window. The pet food store sells them in portions of 50 grams for €1.25. That makes the price per kilo €25, which is three times the price of organic ground beef. The 200g I needed cost me €5, but I figured I had to at least try it.

First I threw the mealworms in a sieve to get rid of the sandy gunk they keep them in. They kept trying to crawl out of the sieve, on account of being alive, the buggers. First I sauteed some onion and hot pepper in the pan, then dunked the worms in. Fortunately, once you throw them in the pan, they stop writhing rather quickly. Once they get really hot, their insides get cooked, and their little exoskeletons start to fizz and pop. I wasn't sure how long to fry them, because the recipe didn't specify how to prepare them live versus freeze-dried, so I probably fried them a bit too long to make sure they were thoroughly killed. Then I emptied a bag of chopped vegetables in the pan and left those to fry as well, and poured in a bit of oyster sauce. Served with white rice.

The resulting mix was quite eatable, but like I said, the mealworms were in a bit too long, so most of them were reduced to a chewy husk. Maybe that's what's supposed to happen to them, but they didn't really taste like anything. Although my mind wasn't entirely on the food; I wiped my nose before, and my hands were still full of capsaicin. My membranes, they burrrrn! And as I was typing this I did it again on my lower lip, god damn it! I even washed my hands in between! Aaaaargh!

Anyway, I don't see myself buying these more often. Even if I can cook them properly they're just too damn expensive. I looked up some other pet food stores online, and some of them charge two to three times as much for mealworms as the store I went to, and those are not even alive! The only prices that approach reason are the ones that the Chinese exporter charges, which is $8 per kilo for freeze-dried worms, but then you have to deal with $21 shipping costs. Nope, I'll stick to eating plain ol' vertebrates.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 47   Go Up