THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 20:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 468370 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #1100 on: 11 Jan 2012, 12:05 »

ohdearohdear for some reason the description of you frying them really bothered me. I don't think it is because they are insects, I think it's just because they were dying. I have a very odd and probably irrational feeling about death, I can't even bear to squash flies. I get upset when an insect drowns itself in a pool of water.

Anyhow, I am cooking mushroom and asparagus risotto in my rice cooker in my room! This is totally against the rules. We were specifically banned from bringing rice cookers. I did so anyway because I AM A MASSIVE REBEL. I keep it under my beanbag, which is probably also banned as a fire risk but I keep the beanbag behind my desk and there have been no spontaneous fires thus far.

It smells incredible, even though all that is in it is risotto rice, sliced mushrooms, asparagus pieces and water. I have a friend coming for dinner tomorrow who is allergic to a bunch of stuff, and another person coming who is apparently a fussy eater (not met her before) so I am hoping that I will have a range of meal options they can choose from - one of which will be leftover risotto if I manage not to eat it all.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1101 on: 11 Jan 2012, 12:17 »

Well, if it makes any difference, it bothered me a bit too. Even though I'm pretty sure insects are not capable of suffering as higher animals are, it can't have been pleasant. But at least now I can truthfully say that I killed my own food once. :P

Hey, look at that, the Chinese mealworm supplier even has a (poorly translated) guide available on how to breed your own mealworms. And it says you need to kill your mealworms by putting them in the freezer for 48 hours before cooking and eating them. Well, I didn't have that option anyway - no freezer - but I do wonder which is worse: freezing to death or being fried alive?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1102 on: 11 Jan 2012, 17:48 »

Well, if it makes any difference, it bothered me a bit too. Even though I'm pretty sure insects are not capable of suffering as higher animals are, it can't have been pleasant. But at least now I can truthfully say that I killed my own food once. :P

Hey, look at that, the Chinese mealworm supplier even has a (poorly translated) guide available on how to breed your own mealworms. And it says you need to kill your mealworms by putting them in the freezer for 48 hours before cooking and eating them. Well, I didn't have that option anyway - no freezer - but I do wonder which is worse: freezing to death or being fried alive?

I found your bug adventures to be strangely enjoyable. I can't imagine it myself but I'm sure it's mostly because I can't even bring myself to eat anything that has a shell/crunchy exterior (especially if it's still inside it). Or eyes. Yeah...I'm one of those people that can't eat something if it looks the same way it did when it was alive. But that was a really interesting read. Thank you for allowing me to live vicariously through you during your experience. I can't believe how expensive they are!!

Hello, Cooking Thread. I have a question for you, which is slightly less related to cooking than to food in general: What do you with coconut?

Oh, and I'm a little late on this, but you could make sweet coconut rice with mango slices (yummmm) or piņa coladas....even more yum. there are a lot of Thai recipes that use coconut and are absolutely amazing. Coconut soup, coconut curry...om nom nom.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2012, 18:11 by lepetitfromage »
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1103 on: 11 Jan 2012, 19:35 »

Coconut curry is fantastic.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1104 on: 11 Jan 2012, 23:40 »

I like to make french toast out of things. I soak them in egg and a little vanilla and I fry them. I've made french toast out of most kinds of bread, bagels, pop tarts, flour tortillas, dish sponge (didn't eat that one. Just had to see if I could), brownies, cakes. Once I pounded out some stew beef and stabbed a million little holes in it with a fork. That was good. You can make french toast out of damn near anything.
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
« Reply #1105 on: 18 Jan 2012, 02:27 »

This week, with 3,92 euros on my bank account, 4 soupdinners (80 cents - 1 euro) left and 6 freezed hamburgers (25 cents per burger) I will manage this week! I only have to buy some bread and I'm set!
I could do this all month actually... never noticed how much i spend on food untill im poor like this  :psyduck:

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1106 on: 18 Jan 2012, 03:36 »

I'm not sure if this really applies to all the people making nice food but my boyfriend was describing something he cooked to me, which included boiled pasta, a can of tomato soup, chopped ham or bacon and cheese which he then puts under the grill.

It took me a while but I realised he was describing an easy pastabake. Which he grills. I asked him why he thought it was called pastabake and he said he just never questioned it. Then he asked his mum why she always let him grill it to which her response was, "... You grill it?" :psyduck:

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1107 on: 19 Jan 2012, 13:17 »

Whenever we do a pastabake, we bake it till it's almost done, then cover it with mozzarella and... put it "under the grill" (I think that's what we in the US call a broiler) until the cheese browns.  It won't do that if you just bake it! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1108 on: 19 Jan 2012, 14:11 »

Ima sustain myself with the following untill wednesday: 3 loafs of bread. 6 burgers, 2 cans of soup! And some breakfast stuff.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1109 on: 19 Jan 2012, 14:36 »

Toast the bread and dip it in the soup! It makes the soup last longer and the bread tastier. For awhile I was living on toast and broth.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1110 on: 19 Jan 2012, 14:57 »

until the cheese browns.  It won't do that if you just bake it! 

It will if you bake it hot enough - which is fine for some things, but perhaps not for a pasta bake!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1111 on: 19 Jan 2012, 16:14 »

Yeah, by the time the cheese browns on high heat (400 or so) the pasta around the edges get burnt. 

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1112 on: 19 Jan 2012, 16:24 »

Yeah, I'd put it under the grill to let the cheese brown a bit too but cooking it entirely under the grill?

We're gonna cook our own versions for each other if we ever find the time to do it. I'm still baffled why he never questioned it having "bake" in the title.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1113 on: 23 Jan 2012, 09:11 »

IVE GOT MONEY AGAIN!

I bought myself a pizza to celebrate that fact :D

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1114 on: 23 Jan 2012, 09:23 »

congratulations on the pizza, sir.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1115 on: 23 Jan 2012, 12:14 »

While pizza is being talked about, my tiny town just got a Pizza Hut last month. The town's gone kind of crazy with it but there's enough hipsters to keep the local ones going out of pride over actually liking the pizza better.

To keep this relevant to cooking: Home made pizza is the best. Although I've never quite gotten the base right. It usually ends up quite crumbly or soggy.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1116 on: 23 Jan 2012, 12:21 »

Oof. Pizza Hut pizza wreaks havoc on my stomach....I used to love it and eat it anyway but it's just not worth it to me anymore.

And i agree- homemade pizza is awesome. I've only made my own crust once before and it didn't come out quite right but I've found that the frozen dough I can buy at the grocery store works pretty well. I've finally managed to make my pizza a normal looking circular shape rather than the amorphous blob I used to end up with. If you can stuff the crust with mozzarella it's even better  :-)

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1117 on: 23 Jan 2012, 12:55 »

Do you partially cook the crust before adding sauce, cheese and toppings?  It works pretty well. 

Most home ovens don't approach the temperature of a professional pizza oven, hence the soggy crust. 

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1118 on: 23 Jan 2012, 13:07 »

I've finally managed to make my pizza a normal looking circular shape rather than the amorphous blob I used to end up with.

The blob shape has never bothered me. It means we can make more!

Do you partially cook the crust before adding sauce, cheese and toppings?  It works pretty well. 

Most home ovens don't approach the temperature of a professional pizza oven, hence the soggy crust. 

We've always cooked the crust and toppings at the same time. Will try partially cooking it next time.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1119 on: 24 Jan 2012, 00:29 »

I just buy pre-made pizza shapes and put stuff on them myself.
My stomach wasn't happy at all getting pizza yesterday and decided to let it go through the digestive system asap... :psyduck:

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1120 on: 24 Jan 2012, 07:29 »

Oooh, I've never cooked the crust first....how long do you usually leave it in for?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1121 on: 28 Jan 2012, 11:36 »

Today I decided to make a more elaborate meal than usual. It was chicken breast, cut into diagonal slices (but not all the way through or else it falls apart) with slices of lemon in between, plus potatoes in the skin, carrots and green beans (cooked beforehand) on the side, garnished with garlic, rosemary, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. The entire shebang is then wrapped in aluminum foil and left to steam in the oven for 20 minutes on 220°C.

The recipe said to sprinkle with white wine or applejuice. I went with applejuice, may have poured over a bit too much, because the result was slightly too sour, but altogether good to eat. I made a second packet to cook tomorrow. Also got a minor cut on my finger from a serrated knife when trying to cut the smallest remaining bit of the lemon for one more slice. But lemons are just damn impossible to cut using smooth-edged knives, you just end up squeezing them out before the knife gets through the skin.

Also, I got the vegetables at the local greengrocer instead of at the supermarket. Though I'm not entirely sure if it makes a difference in price, or quality. The supermarket's oranges were fucking terrible though; it's easy to win in that regard.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1122 on: 29 Jan 2012, 12:50 »

Oooh, I've never cooked the crust first....how long do you usually leave it in for?

About 4 - 5 minutes at the recommended temperature (425 or so?).  It allows a lot of the crust's moisture to escape, and the bottom crisps nicely. 

Also got a minor cut on my finger from a serrated knife when trying to cut the smallest remaining bit of the lemon for one more slice. But lemons are just damn impossible to cut using smooth-edged knives, you just end up squeezing them out before the knife gets through the skin.

You need a sharper knife... my father taught me proper knife sharpening/honing technique, and with a properly sharpened knife, you can slice a ripe tomatoe paper thin without squeezing the seeds out.  Lemons are no problem...

And that packet chicken sounds fantastic! 

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1123 on: 07 Feb 2012, 16:05 »

Does anybody here have experience brining pork? I have a recipe from Alton Brown and I've never done this before.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1124 on: 08 Feb 2012, 04:11 »

So my plan for next year is to get my hands on my dad's chili recipe and bribe the people on my dorm floor for things like rides.
Chili is so good when made right. And very nutritious too with it essentially being meat and veggies with maybe some pasta if yu are feeling raunchy
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1125 on: 08 Feb 2012, 05:05 »

I made chili yesterday. It's a good meal for when you don't feel like doing more work than cutting stuff up and throwing it in a pan.

I use one onion, one bell pepper, half of a small tin of corn, a small tin of kidney beans, a medium-sized tin of baked beans in sauce, bacon cubes, and chili sauce, garnished with grated cheese. My dad also adds mushrooms, and generally makes about five times as much chili as I do. But it's good eat'n.

Any other tricks or ingredients you use?

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1126 on: 08 Feb 2012, 07:32 »

D- I've been looking into brining lately. I haven't done it yet but it's on the to-do list. I have a chicken I want to roast and I think I'm going to brine that this weekend. My biggest issue is fridge space, but I'm taking this week off from grocery shopping so I think I can squeeze the little bugger in there. This is pretty helpful- Brining Basics from Cook's Illustrated

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1127 on: 08 Feb 2012, 12:38 »

My chili is far less extravagant, just meat, tomatoes in various forms, and onions.

I did make white chili once, but it wasn't so good. To describe it broadly, it was  like a combination between curry and chicken noodles. I would rather have curry.

Also, I have noticed that a lot of people put corn n tex/mex stuff. I never really tried except with taco salad. I am a purist when it comes to stews like chili.

Also, to go into a completely random topic, what do you all think of white chocolate? I have gotten mostly meh or unfavorable responses.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1128 on: 08 Feb 2012, 12:50 »

I assume you mean white chocolate for eating, not cooking...

I've had white chocolate with puffed rice, and one variant with coconut. 'twas alright. Thing is, white chocolate has an overpowering sweet taste that you don't get in milk and dark chocolate, and I haven't been able to appreciate extremely sweet things since I was a kid. I notice that I'd eat as much sweet stuff as I could get my hands on when I was young. But now I don't enjoy that stuff nearly as much.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1129 on: 08 Feb 2012, 13:23 »

I find white chocolate a better compliment for things like pretzaels and raisins and nuts. Other chocolate tends to be a bit overpowering.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1130 on: 08 Feb 2012, 13:27 »

I LOVE white chocolate. I can't eat too much of it or it'll make me feel sick, but in small doses it's heavenly. I love the white chocolate truffles from Lindt....mmm...

It's funny because I don't particularly enjoy milk or dark chocolate. I like some chocolate flavored things, but usually it has to have something mixed into it like peanut butter, almonds or coconut. I really don't get much out of plain old Hershey's bars or even chocolate cake (although brownies are another story entirely). In general I'd rather something chewy/fruity. Give me a bag of Swedish Fish and they'll be gone in a matter of seconds.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1131 on: 08 Feb 2012, 14:40 »

I would suggest you try Belgian chocolate (real chocolate from actual Belgium, not just chocolate labelled Belgian). I've heard Hershey's bars are basically made of carboard and food colouring. If you have tried real Swiss or Belgian chocolate and still don't like it then I am sorry for you :(
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1132 on: 08 Feb 2012, 15:13 »

I really do not enjoy white chocolate... I don't really know why, it just coats my mouth with this weird feeling.

My chili recipe involves potatoes, onion, carrot, chick peas, lentils, and V8 juice for the tomato-ness.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1133 on: 08 Feb 2012, 15:47 »

Think I'll be having chicken breast, corn and rice tonight.  If I had collard greens, I'd have a few leaves of that too.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1134 on: 08 Feb 2012, 16:45 »

I've bought my brine stuff and will hopefully be able to do that tomorrow. I'll let you fine folks know how that turns out.

Dollface

• Bling blang blong blung
  • And i thought there would be breasts.
« Reply #1135 on: 19 Feb 2012, 04:46 »

get drunk, make food happen.
Barfy: he needs to get on the sucking of some dick

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1136 on: 19 Feb 2012, 05:04 »

...and see it again in a couple hours. 
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2012, 10:00 by Carl-E »

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1137 on: 19 Feb 2012, 08:02 »

Looks like something I'd make Dollface!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1138 on: 26 Feb 2012, 09:01 »

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1139 on: 26 Feb 2012, 10:47 »

I cooked lasagne for the first time ever pretty much by myself. Didn't think to take pictures but I made it for my boyfriend's family and they loved it. Also made pancakes because the boyfriend didn't get any on Pancake/Shrove Tuesday.

I want to try baking cookies for the first time this week.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1140 on: 26 Feb 2012, 11:13 »

Cookies are really easy. Just follow the directions on the back of the bag of chocolate chips.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1141 on: 26 Feb 2012, 12:16 »

That rather assumes the bag of chocolate chips has a recipe for cookies on it.

I got annoyed at the recipe for the quiche - it said "two packets of pastry". Right. And what size would the packets be? I bought two packets of ready-roll pastry in the size it is sold in in this country, and one was ample. Silly American recipes and their inabiliity to use actual quantities in their recipes (what is a cup? (I know what a cup is thanks to conversion sites but why can't you use grams?)).

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1142 on: 26 Feb 2012, 13:00 »

A cup is a measuring cup! How are you supposed to get anything done if you have to weigh everything? :psyduck: It's bad enough when they call for things in ounces, when it's not really just telling you what size jar to buy. What does 3 ounces of shredded cheese look like? I have no idea, it's coming out of a 1-pound bag!
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1143 on: 26 Feb 2012, 15:04 »

But I don't have a measuring cup, and I do have weighing scales! Plus I can estimate 100g of things like flour and sugar, I have no idea what a cup looks like! Or indeed an ounce.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1144 on: 26 Feb 2012, 16:16 »

My Mammy is one of those people who can estimate everything for weight. That's what cooking from scratch for forty years does for you.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1145 on: 27 Feb 2012, 09:45 »

My wife's one of those cooks who doesn't measure a damn thing. 

It can be really annoying, not just because she can't tell friends her recipes.  See, she can estimate fine for whatever she's making, but she can't tell if we have enough of something and will always  buy more...  so we have extra jars and cans and bags of everything, and when she gets inspired at the grocery, she can't recall if we have any at all, so she buys more...

Last summer, I told her "don't buy any more BBQ sauce until I tell you".  We still  have plenty for this coming summer... and we eat quite a bit of barbecue! 

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1146 on: 29 Feb 2012, 14:45 »

Anyone have any good recipes/advice for making banana bread?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1147 on: 28 Apr 2012, 16:01 »

Whoever invented brownies should get a goddamn medal. That is all.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1148 on: 03 May 2012, 03:43 »

I just made some kickass scrambled eggs. Thugh, I shoulld have put more cheese into it, I didn't notice it at all.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #1149 on: 03 May 2012, 04:10 »

For breakfast yesterday, my housemate cooked up some scrambled eggs with black pudding mushed into them. Let me tell you, it is one of the best things I've ever had for breakfast.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 47   Go Up