THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 457634 times)

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #1200 on: 08 May 2012, 09:24 »

Had to google it - not available in the US (too similar to Hershey's Mounds).
You saved me the trouble. Or so I thought until I saw "Hershey's," and had to Google the history of the candy:
"1988: Hershey Foods purchases Peter Paul/Cadbury Schweppes' U.S. operations, allowing Mounds and Almond Joy to join the hallowed ranks of Hershey's candy dynasty."

I buy a Mounds bar occasionally. I guess I haven't read the label. Why can't things stay the same?

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #1201 on: 08 May 2012, 09:24 »

Why would the only candy bar you eat by Bounty? That's like saying the only pills you'll take are cyanide!

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #1202 on: 08 May 2012, 10:00 »

To come back to the important issue of gravy,

The third way is to start with a roux, and then add stock plus anything from roast you fancy such as juices, a bit of deglaze, some marrow. It may seem a bit odd compared to the aforementioned type b) (type is a pitiful sop to the memory of gravy) but it does have the attraction that it allows you to give it a bit more time and let the flavour mature a bit on the hob. It also has the advantage of allowing you to add the wonderful extra's to personalise the gravy both to you and the meat/not meat that you're serving it with. Cider gravy for pork, red wine or ale gravy for beef, roast red onion and thyme for lamb and so on. Perhaps a touch of mustard or herbs, whisky if you're got a light bit of game on the go. All wonderful and not a blood sauce amongst them if you don't wish. I may be a bit radical but I'm of the opinion that the blood doesn't do a lot for the flavour.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1203 on: 09 May 2012, 00:16 »

Wales if I want to hear good singing?

Boys Aloud.  A choir made up of jobless or disaffected youths in Wales (ignore the inappropriate accompaniment).  There have been similar initiatives elsewhere, but there is something a little special in the Welsh male-voice choir tradition.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1204 on: 09 May 2012, 01:44 »

If you're going to some of the more rural areas in Wales, I'd recommend: attending a livestock market, going to a Welsh chapel service (they generally have a start time publicised, but they actually start once they think everyone is there, and they finish when people start to look hungry), and remembering that there are still people who pretend not to don't speak English in Wales.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1205 on: 09 May 2012, 02:14 »

there are still people who pretend not to don't speak English in Wales.

Mostly in the more remote areas of Central and Northern Wales - especially out along the Lleyn Peninsula, an area I have known very well since my teens - throughout my first marriage we holidayed near Aberdaron twice a year with old family friends, the ones who had brought us together, in fact.  At Easter we would bring back a locally grown and butchered lamb for the freezer.

OT: The family in about 1980 at St Mary's Well, a spring on the cliffs overlooking Ynys Enlli (Bardsey Island), a major seat of Celtic Christianity.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2012, 02:23 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1206 on: 09 May 2012, 03:01 »

Gonna bake a cake this week for my boyfriend's birthday because his actual present isn't until November. I'm thinking sickening amounts of chocolate.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1207 on: 09 May 2012, 04:45 »

Why would the only candy bar you eat by Bounty? That's like saying the only pills you'll take are cyanide!

Yeah, so? I like my cyanide!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1208 on: 09 May 2012, 05:17 »

I'm making chilli con carne from a packet mix tonight. It feels a bit like cheating, but at the same time it is something I would never get round to making from scratch at the moment, too labour-intensive and too many fancy ingredients.

Also I feel like randomly plugging my cooking blog again. I'm pretty proud of it but it gets very few views (it isn't hugely interesting, I'll admit). The only people who I know actually read it are my family. Sigh.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1209 on: 09 May 2012, 07:33 »

To come back to the important issue of gravy,

The third way is to start with a roux, and then add stock plus anything ...
Yes, all those important bits people overlook at the secrets to any great sauce (I feel). When I say 50/50 fat to flour I am speaking in the general. Usually my "fat" is all the rendered stuff. But certainly you speak the troof. It is kind oa akin to soup stock. You CAN (and I certainly HAVE) used bouillon or store bought broth. But it has the same consistency cold as heated. No natural gelatin or collagen melted in there. I feel proper broth has got to have those cooked down boney bits that make it look like meat jell-o when chilled.
And I generally do not skim the fat off until cooking. Because you can cook down that broth until all that is left if semi-solid glop and the fat, then add flour, liquid (milk, cooled broth, tomato juice, CIDER etc..) and you are back to making a great gravy/sauce.
Any crock pot fans on here?
Last weekend I got up, browned a chuck roast after dredging it in seasoned flour. Threw it in the crock on low with 1/3 cup of red wine. I took it out in the evening. Rinse the crock out and threw in a whole chicken with 1/3 c wine (again). I have food for the week.
My wife hipped me to this. I'd always put stuff int he crock pot submerged in liquid. It actually works better  putting just a wee bit of liquid. Otherwise the stuff just boils, is tough, and you have a good flavored broth by the protein is not so tasty. 1/4 cup of beer is a pretty good universal solution.
BTW, I had deglazed and reserved the iron skillet I browned that chuck in above. When  the meat was done I drained the liquid into that skillet, added mushrooms and the whole onion that cooked with the beef and reduced it. Then I added the fall-apart tender beef back in and stirred a few times. Instant gravy-beef-mushroom goodness.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1210 on: 09 May 2012, 07:34 »

May, I added you to my (also very low traffic) recipe blog! I've started sprucing it up with the intention of posting in it again.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1211 on: 09 May 2012, 07:48 »

I was afraid to, like it'd be one of those weird English "flakey" chocolates. WTH?!
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #1212 on: 09 May 2012, 11:07 »

Oh doombilly, don't put your chicken in a crock, get a chicken brick. It is the pinnacle of terracotta cooking joy and makes your crock look like a crock in comparison (for foul only). It is an especially brilliant thing if, like me, you feel an unstuffed chicken is a wasted opportunity.

Now off to make toad in the hole for dinner. birthdaywhoot

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1213 on: 09 May 2012, 12:47 »

I really want to try a tamale. I have never tried one before, and it looks interesting and possibly tasty
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1214 on: 09 May 2012, 13:28 »

Oh doombilly, don't put your chicken in a crock, get a chicken brick.
Happy Birthday.
Never heard of the chicken brick. I'm trying to downsize all my kitchen stuff. Also my wife thinks putting the stuffing actually in the bird is too limiting on how much you can make. I disagree. But like most people she's not really concerned with my opinion. :P
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #1215 on: 09 May 2012, 13:29 »

I really want to try a tamale. I have never tried one before, and it looks interesting and possibly tasty

They are indeed interesting, and quite tasty.  I recommend them. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #1216 on: 09 May 2012, 13:36 »

I dunno where you live and if this is possible but you need to leave your house right now and eat a tamale from the nearest restaurant possible.  Tamales are amazing.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #1217 on: 09 May 2012, 13:37 »

I was afraid to, like it'd be one of those weird English "flakey" chocolates. WTH?!

Bounties are amazing!

You talkin' bout Flakes?

For someone who plays Parker Flys, you can't tell me you don't like the look of that.

From May's Blog:

avoid buying more food when I have so much stored already.

Totally do this. I've got soup and a jar of cous-cous (plain, eugh) that I've had since probably November 2010. I know when I'm in the supermarket I should stop buying new ingredients, but it helps that I work there and get a discount...

Plus you're the only person I know who snacks on radishes. Good plan, I wish I could get back into just eating when I'm hungry instead of constantly misinterpreting thirst as a reason to eat 100g of chocolate.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1218 on: 09 May 2012, 15:30 »

That chockie liiks more like poo than most. My first band had a "Scottish" drummer (Grew up and lived most of his life in Charlotte, NC). But he was born there. When his folks moved back and he visited he brought back some of those brittle bars. I guess maybe if I liked desserts or sweets or chocolate much it'd be different. But to me they are like eating a brown candle.
My taste in most things, guitars included is very suspect. Tonight it is Milwaukee's Best Light for dinner. Think I'll drink myself silly and see if I can get fired tomorrow. Did a pretty good warm up today. Seriously though. I just got my lab results back from my physical. Despite 30 years of hardcore drinking my liver is still kicking ass. And my cholesterol is super. And no diabetes. So I think maybe a bacon grease, tequila, and caramel stuffed something is on the menu.
Bon Apetit!
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1219 on: 09 May 2012, 18:07 »

We had some ripe bananas, so I decided t bake my mom an early mother's day present: A banana cake!

Since this was my first time baking a cake from scratch, It was a bit messy and I had to improvise on some ingredients. I will update this post later when we cut into and taste it, and maybe I will have pictures!
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1220 on: 09 May 2012, 19:01 »

I just cooked an Elio's frozen pizza and cut it into two squares. Then I microwaved a chicken patty and used the pizza as bread. It was fucking delicious.
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #1221 on: 10 May 2012, 12:28 »

I've come to the sad conclusion that there is a very large proportion of the world that doesn't know the childhood excitement of asking for a 99 flake. Oh the humanity.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1222 on: 10 May 2012, 12:32 »

There is something sadly wrong with any childhood that did not include a 99 flake. But I believe America has neither real chocolate nor real ice cream so it is unsurprising.

nobo

« Reply #1223 on: 10 May 2012, 12:44 »

I buy the flakes every time we go grocery shopping. A flake for me (although it is the one dipped in chocolate that goes by a different name, twirl maybe?), and a timeout for my wife. The timeout has a slight coffee taste to it.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1224 on: 10 May 2012, 14:14 »

The Time Out, an unsubstantiated Google article says, got as close as Canada until lagging sales forced it out. With the hint of coffee, it sounds very good.

Lupercal

« Reply #1225 on: 11 May 2012, 04:22 »

I suppose in lieu of 99 flakes, American kids had Kool Aid and Twinkies.

And instead of saying stuff like "brown bread", they get to say classy things like "on swiss".

Generalisations, yeah!

Is it also weird to have fries with a meal that isn't a burger, in the US? I've got some American friends at university (classic/cliched Doctor-Who-Harry-Potter-Royal-Wedding-fans) and they seem to think ham, egg and chips is a huge novelty. They were also shocked that over here, cider gets you drunk.

Might make toad-in-the-hole later. Very cheap if you make it with basics/value batter mix, which costs something like 9p. With the reduced sausages I got, that makes the whole meal under £1. #studentluxury

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1226 on: 11 May 2012, 04:43 »

Most diners here you can get fries with damn near anything.  Though not usually breakfast (ham and eggs would usually be considered a breakfast dish).  With breakfast you get "hash browns" (usually a deep fried shredded potato patty, or sometimes pan fried shredded potatoes), or "home fries", which are chopped pan-fried potatoes (sometimes with onions). 

And we've had alcoholic cider since the beginning of time, but it's an appalaichan thing.  Somewhere along the line the term "cider" got shifted to the non-alcoholic stuff.  Most people toss it when it starts fermenting.   :?
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1227 on: 11 May 2012, 05:54 »

We've had what has been dubbed Hard Cider for ages here too, but I always thought it was because we were in "upstate" NY and it's one of the things produced quite a lot here.

Mmmmm....deliciousness. Mulled cider is pretty tasty too.

And yeah, I agree with the fry sentiment. I think one of the only non-breakfast foods that you don't typically get fries with is any sort of pasta dish. We don't love our carbs THAT much. Although....my best friend used to order pancakes with a side of fries when we went to diners. Personally? I love home fries too much to consider anything as a replacement.

If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #1228 on: 12 May 2012, 00:42 »

You should try chips, real proper old school chippy chips, fried long and wrapped open in paper, salt and sarsons, after the bell on a balmy spring night, maybe with a dash of hendy's or a squirt of broon, tucked in a ginnel 'cause of the murk and washed down with a can of D&B or some ligged spesh before you go top and front on the 83. Now if only you could still skitch up a routemaster everything would be perfect.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1229 on: 12 May 2012, 06:37 »

Hold on, let me get my English-to-English dictionary...

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1230 on: 12 May 2012, 06:46 »

Carl-E: Post the translation?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1231 on: 12 May 2012, 07:31 »

You should try chips, real proper old school chippy chips, fried long and wrapped open in paper, salt and sarsons (a vinegar brand), after school on a balmy spring night, maybe with a dash of hendy's or a squirt of broon (mustards?), tucked in a ginnel (sitting between two close buildings) 'cause of the murk (rain/fog) and washed down with a can of D&B (dark and bitter beer) or some ligged spesh (light special?) before you go top and front on the 83 (walk back along the M83? just a guess...). Now if only you could still skitch up a routemaster (catch a bus) everything would be perfect.

Too much guesswork involved.  I think my dictionary's getting old...

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #1232 on: 12 May 2012, 07:44 »

My guess would be that D&B refers to Dandelion and Burdock.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1233 on: 12 May 2012, 07:48 »

Thanks for the effort. Wonder if Seldom Killer gives tours.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1234 on: 12 May 2012, 08:31 »

You should try chips, real proper old school chippy chips, fried long and wrapped open in paper, salt and sarsons, after the bell on a balmy spring night, maybe with a dash of hendy's or a squirt of broon, tucked in a ginnel 'cause of the murk and washed down with a can of D&B or some ligged spesh before you go top and front on the 83. Now if only you could still skitch up a routemaster everything would be perfect.

Chips:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/83/247371999_08c2ea1fe4.jpg

Sarsons is indeed vinegar.

After the Bell, I'm assuming is a pub (standard pub name). Hendy's is Hendersons, a Yorkshire relish (type of sauce). Broon does indeed mean brown sauce. Ginnel is what I call snicket, ie a small alleyway, so I'm not sure what that is. Murk might well be mess, from the chips.  D&B is dandelion and burdock, a fizzy drink (public service announcement: do not actually dip your chips in the D&B, it is disgusting). Not sure about ligged spesh but probably some kind of cider. The 83 is a bus, they're known by their route numbers, and you'd be sitting on the top deck at the front pretending to be the driver/fly. Routemasters are not just a bus, they were the best buses:

http://www.thermmanual.com/rm1small.jpg

Don't blame your dictionary, most of that is Yorkshire dialect. It's another language altogether, and even I (a born Yorkshirewoman) had to google some of it.

Lupercal

« Reply #1235 on: 12 May 2012, 09:16 »

If I hadn't read it, I would've sworn that would be out of Ulysses or something. Perhaps Yorkshire needs a literary revolution?

But actual chippy chips are the best. Here in Britain (mostly in Essex/London) we like to combine our Chinese take-aways with chip shops, meaning it is very common to order your chips with curry sauce. I admit its weird, but its great to come home with some beef chow mein and a large packet of them. I skip the Sarsons, though.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1236 on: 12 May 2012, 09:31 »

After the Bell, I'm assuming is a pub (standard pub name).

I read it as after closing time (signalled by ringing a bell behind the bar), though I don't know how many chippies would still be open then.

Ginnel is what I call snicket, ie a small alleyway, so I'm not sure what that is. Murk might well be mess, from the chips.

Surely murk is the murky (dank or gloomy) weather, so picture sheltering from the drizzle in a side-alley.

Not sure about ligged spesh

Ligging is freeloading; spesh is surely special - so I picture nicking the dregs of a glass of beer left on a table outside the pub (this may well be fanciful, though).
« Last Edit: 12 May 2012, 09:43 by pwhodges »

Zingoleb

« Reply #1237 on: 12 May 2012, 09:46 »

There is something sadly wrong with any childhood that did not include a 99 flake. But I believe America has neither real chocolate nor real ice cream so it is unsurprising.

Oi! I tend to get most of my sweets at the co-op rather than through, say, Hershey's or Byrne Dairy, so I get pretty top notch ice cream and chocolates. Not that fake, waxy Hershey's crap.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1238 on: 12 May 2012, 10:13 »

Murk makes sense that way, but it is a balmy spring night! Your other suggestions make more sense than mine though. Which is embarassing...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1239 on: 12 May 2012, 10:32 »

My father was from Sheffield.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1240 on: 12 May 2012, 11:35 »

at least it wasn't in cockney rhyming slang.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1241 on: 12 May 2012, 12:07 »

Rice, processed cheese spread, and refried beans. I have three or four meals here for about a dollar.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1242 on: 12 May 2012, 12:12 »

Meals which are likely to give you scurvy over any prolonged duration, but meals nonetheless!

I'm having more of my lentil curry, with the most perfect rice I've ever made. Almost entirely due to my rice cooker, but I'm still proud.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1243 on: 12 May 2012, 12:16 »

No scurvy here, miss. I had an orange yesterday.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #1244 on: 12 May 2012, 12:35 »

You've managed to get almost all of that in bits and pieces. It's not specifically Yorkshire and take slang from several places. I was hoping to evoke the culinary delight only available in the UK (and Ireland by all accounts) full of wonderful little regional variations and hits its absolute prime at around 11pm on a weekday night when you've been out for a few drinks with your friends and while bed is a short time away you still get to play out that those remaining moments of mildly drunken exhuberence that puts you on top of the world.

The plainer English translation is:

You should try chips as opposed to fries of any stripe from, an old fashioned fish and chip shop, (not a kebab/chinese/burger/chicken/pizza shop or any other late night fast food shop selling deep fried potato products) cooked until they're really crispy and crunchy giving way to a fluffy inner delight some of them need to be at least as long as your hand. Have them wrapped in a cone of chip shop paper so you can eat them straight away, flavoured with salt and malt vinegar, after the leaving the pub at closing time on a chilly spring night, maybe with a dash of local a local condiment such as Henderson's Relish or Worcestershire Sauce (pronounced Wuster Sorce) or a squirt of good sauce like HP, ketchup, garlic mayo or whatever is popular where you live, tucked in a porch or alley or other shelter from the wind because it's a bit blowy and damp but not so as you're forced inside and washed down with a can of favourite local soft drink (Dandelion & Burdock, Irn Bru, Cream Soda) or some under the counter lager from the chip shop (or unlicensed takeout from the pub if needs must) before you ride home in the front seats of the top deck of a double decker bus (offically the best view in the world, especially if the route home has quite a few tight corners). Now if only you could still take a running jump onto the back of a moving open backed bus everything would be perfect.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1245 on: 12 May 2012, 14:07 »

Balmy definitely means warm.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1246 on: 12 May 2012, 14:39 »

No scurvy here, miss. I had an orange yesterday.

haha, my first band had a song called, "Scurvy...(I've got)"
don't think it is online anywhere though. Might have to post that one.
"I've noticed recently / there's something wrong with me/my teeth fell out and my gums bleed/ I've neglected my Vitamin C / NOW I'VE GOT SCURVY!..."
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1247 on: 12 May 2012, 15:20 »

Balmy definitely means warm.

It can be warm as well as blowy and damp, though.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1248 on: 13 May 2012, 08:39 »

Wheat-Oat bread
-

Chicken pie crust fail. Ok so I used store bought crusts. And the top one did not want to cooperate. This is consequently the chicken left over from the crock pot extravaganza last weekend. Thickened with some milk/flour mixture and some grated raw potato. We'll see what a mess it is tonight.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1249 on: 14 May 2012, 19:26 »

I think I am going to try to make a milkshake. 

Chocolate ice cream, Baylies, Rum. I am nervous that maybe I should just do a shot of rum and then eat ice cream instead of risking this tasting bad. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 47   Go Up