THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 457557 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #1250 on: 15 May 2012, 04:15 »

Heinz vegetable soup is disgusting. And adding three-day old rice to it didn't help at all. Ugh.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1251 on: 15 May 2012, 13:40 »

Spaghetti and eggs.  Have I mentioned this before? 

Heat the (usually leftover) spaghetti ina pan with some butter
scramble an egg or two (beat with a splash of milk)
pour over the spaghetti, don't stir too much, but keep it moving. 

the proportion should be so that there's egg all through the spaghetti, not a spaghetti omlette. 

Comfort food from my gramma's house.  Good proportion of carbs to protien, but kinda heavy on the fat (yolk, butter). 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1252 on: 15 May 2012, 15:43 »

I filled an oven dish with cauliflower, ham cubes and homemade cheese sauce. I'd forgotten how tasty cauliflower can be!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1253 on: 16 May 2012, 07:10 »

I'm trying to break in my new meat tenderizer. Any tips for chicken fried steak?
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1254 on: 16 May 2012, 07:21 »

Other than "don't do it"?

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1255 on: 16 May 2012, 08:17 »

What do you have against fried beef covered in gravy?

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1256 on: 16 May 2012, 09:12 »

Spaghetti and eggs.  Have I mentioned this before? 

Heat the (usually leftover) spaghetti ina pan with some butter
scramble an egg or two (beat with a splash of milk)
pour over the spaghetti, don't stir too much, but keep it moving. 

the proportion should be so that there's egg all through the spaghetti, not a spaghetti omlette. 

Comfort food from my gramma's house.  Good proportion of carbs to protien, but kinda heavy on the fat (yolk, butter).
Not terribly removed from Spaghetti carbonara. Only you use raw eggs and use the heat of the freshly cooked  pasta to cook the eggs. It is a bit more involved than that. I'll post my recipe sometime when I have it in hand. I use country ham insteak of proscioutto. Because, way cheaper, and I think you need that level of saltyness to fight the heavy cream and parmasean.
I'm trying to break in my new meat tenderizer. Any tips for chicken fried steak?
I just use cube steak. Dredge in spiced flour. Egg wash. Dredge again. Fry. use the flour and fat from this process to make the gravy. I usually opt for milk to make the gravy. Because HEART HEALTHY!
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1257 on: 16 May 2012, 13:49 »

What do you have against fried beef covered in gravy?

There are better ways to hide the flavor of your beef.  But if you're that intent on covering the taste of the beef that much, why are you doing anything with it in the first place? 

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1258 on: 16 May 2012, 17:13 »

I absolutely love a nice steak with nothing on it, but a slight char, its own blood, and a little pepper. Sometimes I buy a chuck roast to grind into burger, but this time I cut a couple slices off with the intention of pounding the shit out of them with a spikey hammer, covering in flour, and frying.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1259 on: 16 May 2012, 17:30 »

I filled an oven dish with cauliflower, ham cubes and homemade cheese sauce. I'd forgotten how tasty cauliflower can be!

Recently rediscovered cauliflower... heat a little bit of chicken stock (I sometimes use a packet of ramen flavouring :o) and butter in a saucepan, plop down a small-/medium-sized cauliflower, put on the lid and let it cook for ten minutes. Serve with eg. cod fillets (dunked in salt-water flavoured with lemon zest for 20 mins) cooked in the oven for 10 mins. Keep a pan of water in the oven so it's really steamy. I was introduced to this yumminess a few months ago and I still can't get over how delicious, filling and--above all--simple it is. It's nice to add some sambal oelek and lemon juice to the stock. I sometimes thicken it with flour but it's good just poured over the cauliflower and fish too :)
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1260 on: 16 May 2012, 19:07 »

I absolutely love a nice steak with nothing on it, but a slight char, its own blood, and a little pepper.
Yeah. Chicken fried steak is for, well inferior cuts. A decent piece of meat needs very little attention and the more you give the worse it gets. Like biscuit (not UK) dough.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1261 on: 16 May 2012, 22:45 »

or pie crust.  So many pie crusts are ruined by people mixing them....
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1262 on: 17 May 2012, 03:43 »

My wife made great cherry pies, with a crust she made from scratch and without measuring. It's a surprisingly major regret that I didn't even try to learn it before she died.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1263 on: 17 May 2012, 04:22 »

When comparing the pastry made by myself, my wife, her sister and their mother, it is curious to observe that each of us seems to produce the same quality (or lack of it) consistently, regardless of whether we make it by hand or in a mixing machine.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1264 on: 17 May 2012, 06:12 »

0_o

But...but piecrust is so simple!  Flour to fat, 3:1 (my dad uses butter, my wife and I use crisco, both are delicious), cut the fat into the flour thoroughly (we use a pastry cutter, several C shaped parallel wires with a handle, but I know people who use two knives and the like).  Add ice cold water by the tablespoon, turning it over and mashing it together by hand until it all holds together in a ball.  NO MORE water than that, it gets... gooey. 

Then roll it out. 

NO mixing - you encourage the formation of long strings of gluten that make the pastry bind up into a hard mass instead of flaking apart like it should.  Each flake is a little lump of the flour/fat mixture that got rolled out, they were only held together by the water long enough to bake.  You're not making dough!

My work here is done.  Carry on, citizens!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1265 on: 17 May 2012, 07:18 »

If you have to use your hands and the pastry starts to get warm and sticky, put it in the freezer for two minutes to cool back down. Works for crumble as well, and it was revelatory to me (I might even have got all excited about it here when I first tried it).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1266 on: 17 May 2012, 07:27 »

0_o

But...but piecrust is so simple!  Flour to fat, 3:1 (my dad uses butter, my wife and I use crisco, both are delicious), cut the fat into the flour thoroughly (we use a pastry cutter, several C shaped parallel wires with a handle, but I know people who use two knives and the like).  Add ice cold water by the tablespoon, turning it over and mashing it together by hand until it all holds together in a ball.  NO MORE water than that, it gets... gooey. 

Then roll it out. 
NO mixing - you encourage the formation of long strings of gluten that make the pastry bind up into a hard mass instead of flaking apart like it should.  Each flake is a little lump of the flour/fat mixture that got rolled out, they were only held together by the water long enough to bake.  You're not making dough!
My work here is done.  Carry on, citizens!

Good work, both of you! Clara used a pastry cutter. I found it just now; it's not three C-shaped wires as I thought I'd remembered, but more like 3 fairly rigid flat dull "blades" attached to a handle. In the process of overthinking the process and exaggerating the obstacles -- something many of us here do well -- I wish I had a Youtube visual for the manipulation. But your brief description ought to be enough.
I don't have a recipe for her cherry filling, only that she used canned tart cherries, sugar, cornstarch and almond extract. I don't believe she baked the shell ahead of time. She used strips across the top. She could start a pie on the spur of the moment, with company expected any moment. The only thing that sometimes threw her was unexpectedly old flour.
And I think Clara used the freezer trick, too. I know her process depended on temperature and humidity in the kitchen.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1267 on: 17 May 2012, 07:47 »

In addition to the gluten thing the reason you shouldn't over mix pie crust is because you want some chunks of fat in there to melt out as it cooks, that is what makes it flaky.  If you mix the dough too well then you make a paste and there are no bits left to leave flaky, yummy pockets of awesome.  The largest pieces of fat should be about the size of peas when you add the water.

You guys are making me want a pie now. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1268 on: 17 May 2012, 08:14 »

About the fat: I know we didn't keep Crisco in the house for years; I'm not sure if I recall her using butter (salted? unsalted?). Is cooking oil, olive or otherwise, ever used in a flaky pie crust? If sounds like the thicker consistency of butter or shortening would keep globs of oil intact.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1269 on: 17 May 2012, 08:19 »

Just Google for instructions; e.g. here's one
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1270 on: 17 May 2012, 08:47 »

It is possible to use oil instead, I think, but I never have. It would change the consistency I'd imagine.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1271 on: 17 May 2012, 09:01 »

Oil wouldn't make it flakey. The flour needs to hold onto all these little pieces of butter or shortening. Oil would just mix in to everything

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1272 on: 17 May 2012, 10:03 »

Cherry pie from canned cherries:

2 cans sour pitted cherries
1 cup sugar
1 t salt
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 T butter
1 t almond extract
2 pie crusts

Put one crust into a pie dish. Use a knife or small cookie cutter to make steam vents in the other crust, then set it aside to be the lid. In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine sugar, salt, cornstarch, and the liquid from the cherries. Stir constantly until the liquid becomes thick and clearish (about 15 minutes). Add the butter, almond extract, and cherries. Mix, then pour into the pie dish. Cover with the top crust, seal the edges, and sprinkle with sugar. Cover the edges loosely with a strip of tin foil to keep the crust from burning. Bake 30 minutes at 425. Remove the foil and bake another 15 minutes.

And my grandma's pie crust recipe:
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1273 on: 17 May 2012, 10:10 »

Yeah, I would not use oil. But why not lard? I think it might actually be better for you than Crisco. Unless you don't eat animal products. Then you are pretty much gonna need some hydrogenated vegetable shortening. It is awful for you, but I wonder how palm oil in its congealed form would work? That stuff is nasty looking. Still unless you are eating pie crust every day, or the whole pie yourself that might be interesting.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1274 on: 17 May 2012, 11:11 »

I don't think lard would be a problem.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1275 on: 17 May 2012, 13:19 »

Yeah, I know historically it was used for this a lot. I just meant, "would it gross you out to use lard? and if not, give it a try." Also, I suck at pie crusts.
Got a bunch of pork neck bones in the fridge and some corn on the cob. Wonder what the heck I'll do tonight?
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1276 on: 17 May 2012, 13:50 »

Corn on the cob? Lard? Slice the corn off the cob in two strokes, one through the kernels, one to remove what remains, heat in a skillet until corn thickens, add bacon grease to taste. But maybe I already said that.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1277 on: 17 May 2012, 13:56 »

I had my vegetarian chilli con carne (or as Edith suggested, chilli con Quorne) with lemon and coriander-flavoured cous cous tonight. It was delicious, and according to MyFitnessPal I have eaten an almost perfectly balanced diet today. I've got 74 calories left over, 7g of protein and 18g of carbs but I'm not hungry so I guess I've got a slightly higher calorie deficit. I WILL be healthier by summer. No more ice cream binges.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1278 on: 17 May 2012, 16:56 »

Chilli con Quorne
Excellent! Especially if you use the Spanish pronunciation of "Qu".
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1279 on: 17 May 2012, 17:01 »

Corn on the cob? Lard? Slice the corn off the cob in two strokes, one through the kernels, one to remove what remains, heat in a skillet until corn thickens, add bacon grease to taste. But maybe I already said that.
Well, I decided to marinate the boney bits in OJ, sweet chili sauce, rice vinegar, black/red pepper, and milwaukee's best light. Then put on a broiler pan on 250degF. I'm gonna let that go for some hours. This stuff is really boney. Not a lot to eat there. But maybe I'll pick it like crab claws and add those bits to the stuff that forms in the broiler, rest of the marinade, and cook the corn in that? Maybe serve on a bed of salad greens?

Also Barmymoo, keep up the good work. Ice cream is a treat though!

My oregano was very fragrant i noticed last week. So I've picked a bunch and am drying it. It has been growing outside my basement door for years but I always seem to get it too late and it tastes just weedy. Also I have decided to never mow my lawn again. Scourge of the neighborhood, I am. But the oregano is creeping out in the yard.  :evil:
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1280 on: 17 May 2012, 20:16 »

You sure that's oregano, son? 

:-D :police: :angel:

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1281 on: 17 May 2012, 23:20 »

I read "crab claws" and pictured bear claws. Razor sharp hairy knuckle bear claws.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1282 on: 18 May 2012, 05:30 »

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. /BEARy
 Anyway, it was awful. I ate a can of pork-n-beans standing over the sink. The end.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1283 on: 18 May 2012, 05:42 »

Did someone mention bear claws?

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1284 on: 18 May 2012, 05:57 »

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. /BEARy
 Anyway, it was awful. I ate a can of pork-n-beans standing over the sink. The end.
Well, it sounded creative.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1285 on: 19 May 2012, 09:36 »

There is nothing better than homemade crepes, frshly cooked right in front of you by hipsters in some culinary program
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1286 on: 19 May 2012, 16:28 »

I have not made a crepe since Reagan was preznit. Maybe that should change?

On other news, heh my boney pork nightmare from the othernight (wherein I opted to eat canned beaans over the sink)- I saved the boney bits. They are boiling up to make a broth. Added half a bulb of garlic, a good slug of olive oil, a handful of korean red pepper powder, 1 tsp of my habanero death ray paste, exactly 1 gob of szechuan peppercorns, the leafy north 4" of a bunch of celery, and one cheap beer. Also some random leftovers 2 sprgs of broccoli and a button mushroom. Mainly because it's now or never for these. If I get a couple molecules of flavor out of them, so be it. Salt.
Added some of the aforementioned oregano. It dried up nicely in a paper bag.
Yes Carl-E; while it has been a long time- I do know perennial herbs from the only annual HERB worth growing. ahem. Anyway, it is boiling away upstairs. Let's add a couple cups of tomato sauce I thawed out. I'll give it an hour. Salt some more.
Then strain the mess. I just want the liquid.
Add the bit of elbow macaroni I have and boil that till done. Add 1 can of fava beans, spoon over baby spinach in a bowl. Hope this works out. I'm out of pork-n-beans. :D
« Last Edit: 19 May 2012, 19:00 by doombilly »
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1287 on: 19 May 2012, 16:52 »

WIP
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1288 on: 19 May 2012, 18:53 »

begat
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1289 on: 19 May 2012, 19:24 »

I hope that was half as good as it looks! 

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1290 on: 20 May 2012, 06:28 »

It really was good. Kinda pasta fagioli (or as my wife sez, "pasta fazoo"). Just with different flavorings. Or similar I guess to minestroni too. But the pork broth came out rich. I was leaning on something akin to viet pho hu tiue broth. Which wow, I now find out is more Chinese-Cambodian. Neat. Gotta love the internets! ok, I have to make another quiche for breakfasts this week and put my chicken breasts onto marinade for dinner before I can come back down here and practice 2 albums worth of songs and 4 new ones. :D Toodles.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1291 on: 21 May 2012, 02:45 »

I cooked spaghetti bolognese last night! The first properly from scratch meal I've made in the new house, so I wasn't always yelling at Mammy to tell if I was doing it right.

It was yummy and I made enough it'll do for tonight's dinner as well. Economical!

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1292 on: 21 May 2012, 03:54 »

Yum, Welu. Guys have any of y'all ever read Steve Albini's cooking blog. It is pretty entertaining.
http://mariobatalivoice.blogspot.com/
Also since I re-Quiched again this week, thought I'd share a slice.

Bacon, sausage, spinach, cheddar, enoki...all kind of layered.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1293 on: 21 May 2012, 08:49 »

Welp!  Time for breakfast! 

Wait, when's that quiche supposed to arrive? 

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1294 on: 21 May 2012, 11:45 »

Did you not get your QMail? Oh gee, I hope it didn't get lost. :P
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1295 on: 21 May 2012, 16:15 »

Guys, nettle soup is delicious. We were gifted with a lot of stinging nettles (little itty bitty baby ones of course) and through a relatively quick, simple and easy process the whole lot was turned into soup. Delicious soup that tasted of spring, even though I'd never before had nettle soup in spring. It also tasted of thinly sliced smoked ox-heart. Yes, smoked ox heart. No, I haven't been made a lord of the land--but the half-price gods have been very kind to me lately. I now pray for genetically engineered dual-heart oxen so that the price of smoked ox-heart may come down.

The half-price gods also saw fit to give me cumberland sauce, which was very easy to jazz up with some red wine and assorted goodies and goes great with roast lamb. Honestly though I wanted to just glug it down straight, it was so good. Those of you who've grown up with frequent exposure to Cumberland sauce: I envy you.

Can't believe I haven't tried these things until now. Envy and regrey notwithstanding, the past few days have been terrific wrt food. I always forget just how much yummier life becomes after spring kicks into gear.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1296 on: 21 May 2012, 16:59 »

You just brought me back to 1985. I've never eaten nettles, but my only exposure was walking through some high weeds, intoxicated and getting this sensation that was altogether unpleasant. My roommate and chief cohort at the State park we were living and working in that summer just said "oh yeah we've just gotten into some stinking nettles." Not having been in NC for much more than 2 years I was in a serious state of WTF. What do they taste like? Cumberland sauce? Must. Google. Now.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1297 on: 21 May 2012, 17:37 »

Your friend misappropriated the term stinging nettles.  They have an aroma, but it's not a stink. 

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1298 on: 21 May 2012, 18:50 »

Derp.derp Just pan-fried some flounder filets in panko,spices (really into korean red pepper powder these days), n- butter. It mostly fell apart which is ok. Served chunked over a simple salad. Also marinading some short ribs in korean bbq sauce for tomorrow. Those nettles stink! I tells ya.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1299 on: 21 May 2012, 21:44 »

Today I actually made a sandwich and took it with me to go somewhere instead of buying McDonald's. I'm very proud of myself.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 47   Go Up