THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 457549 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #1300 on: 22 May 2012, 00:08 »

Good call! Macdonalds is the food of the devil (vegetarians are contractually obliged to say that whenever the opportunity presents itself) but even if that were not the case, making your own food is so much cheaper.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1301 on: 22 May 2012, 02:33 »

Actually, it was a chicken salad sandwich on a bulkie roll. I used one leftover chicken thigh and some mayonnaise to make it. The cost of chicken per pound and the few dollars I spent on those rolls probably makes that sandwich more than a dollar, which is what I'd pay for a McDouble.
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1302 on: 22 May 2012, 04:40 »

But you already had the chicken, and if you hadn't used it you might well have ended up throwing it out. Making all your own meals means far less food waste.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1303 on: 22 May 2012, 06:32 »

So...the "menu" I got from my doc to fix my cholesterol woes is not so much a menu as "don't eat anything you are currently eating with the exception of salad and chicken".

Do you guys have any favorite low-fat/low-cholesterol meals? I know a lot of it is common sense (no bacon, no sour cream, lots of fruits and veggies, fat-free everything) but I'm noticing that some things that I would think to be ok, are actually not. And I'm not used to consciously tailoring my meals to certain specifications- usually I just try to go for "well rounded".
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1304 on: 22 May 2012, 06:47 »

Here are some of my low-cal favorites:
Tilapia filets, bought individually sealed, dipped in shake'n'bake (for pork) and sauteed. I put it on a griddle.
The same would probably work for chicken.
I have a daily strawberry smoothie at lunch: about 8 oz of frozen strawberries (get mine by the 4lb at Kroger, not exactly cheap), microwaved for 30 secs, blended with 8 oz skim milk and 2 packets of sweetener.
Any of the lean Michaelina brand frozen entrees. I eat them over about 8 oz of defrosted mixed veg, such as Kroger-brand Italian, Asian or California-style. I can't say if they're all that healthy -- I don't check about preservatives, and some of them are a little sweet, but the calorie count of the entrees are all under 300, the vegetables lower the calorie density, and they mostly taste pretty good.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #1305 on: 22 May 2012, 07:25 »

I've found that lentils/beans tend to be really useful, especially if you're trying stay away from stuff like ground beef, which can be expensive if you're getting good-quality extra lean stuff. Makes all sorts - curries, italian dishes (lasagne, chilli, etc) and very cheap. I love a good bean chilli with brown rice and a side of washed raw spinach leaves (folic acid yeahhh)

I've found Gojeeto be really useful (was this from this thread? I can't remember). Simply type in an ingredient and get a load of cool recipies, not all are fat free but some are, and others you can substitute things out for low-cal alternatives.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1306 on: 22 May 2012, 08:33 »

Yeah another good lean protein fish I'm seeing around supermarkets a lot is Swai. I kind of like it. Once I stopped trying to grill in and started just baking it, it came out nice. It was good on the grill but stuck to it too much. Also cholesterol can be tricky. Don't starve yourself of all fats. Your body thinks it is starving and just hangs onto them. Get lots of whole grain stuff. Opt for brown (long cook) rice over instant. Meh, I cannot abide whole wheat pasta though. It's from hell. But I thik a lot of the "fat substitutes" are worse for you than the thing they are supposed to replace. e.g. Margarine. Tastes like butt not butter. Horrible for you. Don't want either, use a good quality of olive oil.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1307 on: 22 May 2012, 10:29 »

Do you have access to those cholesterol-lowering yoghurt drinks? My step dad had dangerously high cholesterol and combined a change of diet with drinking those daily and going for a walk every afternoon, and his levels have dropped to a totally safe level in about six months. He did things like changing butter for low-fat spread, not eating desserts every day etc. No radical changes, just a lot of cutting back on things he liked. You can do it! The golden rule is not to change your diet so much that you feel deprived, because then you'll never stick with it long-term.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1308 on: 22 May 2012, 13:19 »

Thanks everyone!

I will definitely be stocking up on lots of veggies, beans and olive oil! Lean ground beef has definitely been on the pricey side lately, but there are a boatload of sales with Memorial Day and all the other barbequing holidays coming up. I'm going to try substituting half the beef in any recipes that call for it with beans (and hope that the fiance doesn't notice). I bought "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" a few weeks ago and after looking at the nutrition info, I Can't Believe People Think This Stuff Is Healthier Than Butter.  :-P

I'm trying to figure out what good fats come from and also trying to distinguish Really Bad Fats from Not So Bad fats. I know that Saturated and Trans are "bad fats" and Polyunsaturated & Monounsaturated are "good fats", but it's tough to remember where they all come from!

May- I've never heard of those drinks, but I'm off to Google them now! Hopefully they're sold around here  :-)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1309 on: 22 May 2012, 13:30 »

The best rule of thumb is that the closer to its natural state a food is, the more likely it is to be healthy. That doesn't mean just living on a diet of eggs, but it's not a bad way to distinguish between two things in a hurry.

Papersatan

« Reply #1310 on: 22 May 2012, 14:04 »

Did someone say oats? Oats oats oats!   They are high in soluble fiber, which is good for scrubbing out your arteries. Also a bonus, they taste great! 

Also for whole grains I whole heatedly recommend wheat berries.  They are just whole wheat grains.  You can buy them in most health food sections.  You cook them like rice, but they take a bit more water and a bit longer (directions on the package).  I think they are so good, a bit chewy, nutty flavor, and filling.  I usually just eat them plain or with a little olive oil/butter and salt.  I also think they would be good sweet.  I am thinking something with honey and strawberries?  I'll be playing with them when fruit prices drop for summer.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1311 on: 22 May 2012, 15:21 »

Papersatan is totes right. OATS!
That is ounce for ounce I think the most fiber and if you aren't into high fiber, branny foods is also the most innocuous. I use plain old rolled oats in my cereal mix with (I use full fat yogurt). Be wary of pretty much all packaged cereal that has more than 1 or two ingredients. Like: puffed wheat, contains wheat. Shreaded wheat, contains wheat. Fuck Kashi and all that bullshit. My cereal mix is grape nuts (worst name, best cereal); puffed red wheat (can no longer find this); shredded wheat. Add some nuts sparingly. Raisins, cheap and really chock full of goodness.
When I make bread though I usually substitute 1/3 of the flour with plain old rolled (long cook oatmeal) oats.
Whoah, I just realized I put short ribs on to marinade last night. All this healthy talk has me primed to sniff glue and have unprotected sex with dodgy looking mammals at the bus depot.
 8-)
Well the beef is really, really lean.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1312 on: 22 May 2012, 15:56 »

My favorite cereal is Count Chocula and it has vitamins and shit in it. Says so on the box.
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1313 on: 22 May 2012, 16:38 »

If they gave you vitamins with URANIUM235 -you'd be getting vitamins.
In any event. I'm on here too much. Didn't mean to sound preeeeech-y.
I'm probably going to some culinary institute this yr. To get institutionalized. Suicidal Tendencies stylez. I'm on here too much. Sorry. My wife is 500 miles away.
I think food is good. I'm for it.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1314 on: 22 May 2012, 17:28 »

I'm on here too much. Sorry. My wife is 500 miles away.
All the more reason for you to be on here more than usual. Post away. My wife's a lot farther away than that. It's one of the reasons I hang out here and post. So don't apologize.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1315 on: 22 May 2012, 18:23 »

re: wheat berries / would be good sweet
They are! My mom's friend has this recipe for this fruit & grain salad that's basically wheat berries, rice, barley, plum, apple, and golden raisins.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1316 on: 22 May 2012, 18:56 »

Oatmeal every morning for breakfast.  One (rounded) spoon of brown sugar and a splash of skim milk.  Very filling. 

I use a scoop that came in a quaker oats box years ago for measuring it.  It just says "One Serving", but I recently found it's equivalent to 1/3 cup.  Just right!  In the bowl with 2 scoops of water, then in the microwave, 6 minutes at 40% power (so it doesn't boil over).  The texture is perfect... YMMV, microwaves are fickle. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1317 on: 22 May 2012, 20:17 »

I bought "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" a few weeks ago and after looking at the nutrition info, I Can't Believe People Think This Stuff Is Healthier Than Butter.  :-P

Smart Balance! Buy Smart Balance instead. I really like the kind with olive oil. The only time I use butter anymore is for baking and making icing*, I use SB for everything else and it works just fine.

*I don't care what anyone says, baked goods do taste different without butter and margarine in icing is nasty. Usually I make cream cheese icing, though, because it doesn't need as much sugar and a brick of cream cheese has about a quarter of the calories than a stick of unsalted butter.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1318 on: 22 May 2012, 23:16 »

My folks use Olivio, it's surprisingly delicious. 

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1319 on: 22 May 2012, 23:58 »

I use a soy spread called Pure in the UK for almost everything; it has a quite neutral taste, so is always inoffensive.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1320 on: 23 May 2012, 00:03 »

I use Sainsburys Sunflower Spread, which I think is basically a cheap version of Pure (or one of the others, anyway). I do use butter for many things still, like 20g to fry some garlic and spinach for pasta, or for making crumble, but you can equally use spread. Linds is right, it does change the flavour but not so much that the baking is ruined.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1321 on: 23 May 2012, 00:09 »

Sunflower oil is actually not one of the healthier ones, which is why I no longer use sunflower-based spreads.  For frying I use rape-seed oil (is that canola in the US?), which has the additional benefit of being the cheapest!  Olive oil is good, but not for high temperatures (especially the extra-virgin which my wife always buys).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1322 on: 23 May 2012, 02:46 »

Just the other day my dad was telling me that all the common vegetable oils - sunflower, rape-seed, arachide - are extracted from the material using hexane. Olive oil is the only oil that is actually pressed. That surprised both of us.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1323 on: 23 May 2012, 03:22 »

For frying I use rape-seed oil (is that canola in the US?), which has the additional benefit of being the cheapest!
It is certainly called canola oil in Australia, and an excellent, economical choice. Its smoke temperature is quite high which is important for good stir-fry.

Just the other day my dad was telling me that all the common vegetable oils - sunflower, rape-seed, arachide - are extracted from the material using hexane. Olive oil is the only oil that is actually pressed. That surprised both of us.
Peanut oil, which is very common in East and Southeast Asian cooking, was traditionally produced by cold pressing, and the best quality oil still is. Cheaper grades are produced using more "industrial" methods such as hot extraction, and finally extraction with solvents such as hexane is used. Frequently the same nut meal is passed through all three processes in succession to extract every last drop of oil. According to this article a similar multi-stage process is used for olive oil.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1324 on: 23 May 2012, 06:12 »

Did someone say oats? Oats oats oats!   They are high in soluble fiber, which is good for scrubbing out your arteries. Also a bonus, they taste great! 

Also for whole grains I whole heatedly recommend wheat berries.  They are just whole wheat grains.  You can buy them in most health food sections.  You cook them like rice, but they take a bit more water and a bit longer (directions on the package).  I think they are so good, a bit chewy, nutty flavor, and filling.  I usually just eat them plain or with a little olive oil/butter and salt.  I also think they would be good sweet.  I am thinking something with honey and strawberries?  I'll be playing with them when fruit prices drop for summer.

Ooooh, those sound good! I love really nutty tasting grains.

I bought Smart Balance last week! It's tasty :-) I've used Olivio as well and I like it but it's hardly ever on sale. I don't typically use butter either- expensive and I always get annoyed with it because I forget to take it out of the fridge to let it soften before trying to use it as a spread. And yep- rape-seed is called canola here too :-) I alternate between using that and olive, depending on what I'm doing with it.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1325 on: 23 May 2012, 08:13 »

My older daughter developed a reaction to canola oil.  We call it an allergy, but some people say there are no allergens in oils.  Whatever.  It may be that straight rapeseed's poisonous, or the treatment they do to the oil to remove the toxins may be the problem. 

It came to a head when she was working at McDonalds and they changed the deep fryers to all-canola.  There was so much of it in the air, she'd break out in a rash just walking into the place. 

I thought it was a reaction to work for a little while, but she has violent digestive reactions whenever she eats anything with canola in it (rigorously tested, I'm afraid).  So we read labels like crazy. 

The damn stuff's everywhere...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1326 on: 23 May 2012, 08:40 »

some people say there are no allergens in oils.

Idiots.  Try telling that to someone with a peanut allergy. 

Allergens are not a specific class of substances, they are substances to which people are allergic.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1327 on: 23 May 2012, 09:54 »

I  was going to make shepherd's pie tonight, but then I realised that this heat will probably kill me if I spend any time in the kitchen, so I've put a crispbake in the oven and am trying out the vegetable steamer function on my rice cooker for the first time, using carrots and broad beans. I'm hoping the carrots cook properly, I can't bear raw carrots.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1328 on: 23 May 2012, 11:52 »

Canada at some point become a huge supplier of rapeseed oil. It is supposed to be the best for cholesterol etc.. But had a PR problem due to being called RAPE SEED. Too rape-y. Hence CAN(ada)OLA.
My wife explained to me that the good olive oil is First Cold Pressed. Everything else is sloppy seconds. And may involved some heinous chemicals/heat to extract the the oil. We found a good vendor here in Charlotte. They import their own oil from Greece. (Minos) We pay $23 for 3L. Which is really good when you compare it to lesser products in little bottles at the grocery store. This place is dyn-0-mite. I got 1 lb of Feta Cheese (domestic) and 1 lb or Kalamata olives for $8.52 total the other day.
Sorry I did not take any pictures of the Korean BBQ I made last night. Awesome flavor. Still a bit tough. But I was pretty lit when I decided to eat it and went on it like a dang shark-a-gator. Also Kim Chee is the best thing right now for me. At some point I will probably tire of it though. Kind of pricey, but I'm too lazy to undertake making it myself.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Papersatan

« Reply #1329 on: 23 May 2012, 12:26 »

some people say there are no allergens in oils.

Idiots.  Try telling that to someone with a peanut allergy. 

Allergens are not a specific class of substances, they are substances to which people are allergic.

You can only be allergic to proteins I was told once by a medical professional.  Everything else is an intolerance.  I don't technically have a food allergy, just when I eat things with sulphites in them I get hives all over.

I'm sorry, if I eat it and have an adverse reaction that is clearly histamine based I am going to call it an allergy... I don't care if it is mediated by the wrong blood bit. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1330 on: 23 May 2012, 12:45 »

Exactly. But. but. but. The Peanut Institute sez...
When peanut oil is correctly processed and becomes highly refined, the proteins in the oil, which are the components in the oil that can cause allergic reaction, are removed. This makes the peanut oil allergen-free!
So you won't die from peanut oil so long as everything goes 100% correct at the factory where we process it. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?   :-D <--(look it's president Carter)
I really feel for people with severe food allergies. Because as things become more processed and regulation becomes more "job creator" friendly <ahem> more people will be poisoned. My daughter recently went to a "Pizza party" at some other kids house. The mom actually said this: "Oh well they'll eat what we give them. If some other parent tells me their kid has peanut allergies I won't let them come over."
Nice.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1331 on: 23 May 2012, 14:20 »

Some parents are just plain stupid/thoughtless/ignorant; a friend whose child has a peanut allergy went to a party, they were careful with the party food, but at the end handed each child a party bag including a snickers bar - oops!

You can only be allergic to proteins I was told once by a medical professional.  Everything else is an intolerance.

I can't find a reference that supports that definition.  Certainly the usage in the Merck Manual doesn't.  Of course, proteins are a common cause; but to the best of my knowledge, Penicillin, for instance, is not a protein, but a reaction to it is universally described as allergic.

Edit:  I was wrong; I know a little more now.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2012, 23:36 by pwhodges »

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1332 on: 23 May 2012, 14:56 »

We call it an allergy, but some people say there are no allergens in oils.
Some people are a waste of good oxygen.

So you won't die from peanut oil so long as everything goes 100% correct at the factory where we process it. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?
Yeah. If I had a peanut allergy, I would not risk it, especially when there are so many alternatives. Peanuts are not native to Asia, but were introduced in the 17th century by Portuguese traders. Now China produces 40+% of the world's total peanut crop, and consumes nearly all of it domestically, with most of it going to oil production. I have no idea if East and Southeast Asians are less prone to peanut allergies, but the oil especially is so ubiquitous that life would be really really tough if you were a sufferer.

Kimchi is excellent, but real kimchi should be fermented, so producing it at home would be a pain.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1333 on: 23 May 2012, 17:16 »

You can only be allergic to proteins I was told once by a medical professional.  Everything else is an intolerance.
I can't find a reference that supports that definition.  Certainly the usage in the Merck Manual doesn't.  Of course, proteins are a common cause; but to the best of my knowledge, Penicillin, for instance, is not a protein, but a reaction to it is universally described as allergic.
Penicillin is made out of amino acids. How does that make it not a protein?
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1334 on: 23 May 2012, 17:37 »

Kimchi is excellent, but real kimchi should be fermented, so producing it at home would be a pain.
As late as the 1950s, wasn't kimchi mostly produced at home? Seems like college students who'd served in Korea would talk about it as a buried, fermenting container and definitely an acquired taste.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1335 on: 23 May 2012, 17:41 »

As late as the 1950s, wasn't kimchi mostly produced at home?
Oh sure, if you're ready to have lots of large pots of fermenting kimchi around your place, there is nothing to stop you making it at home. If you have a garden, you could even bury the pots in the time-honoured fashion.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1336 on: 23 May 2012, 17:42 »

I am going to a party thrown by a korean family next weekend. Now, I am told that the mother's an excellent cook. But I don't care how good they say it is oor how good the rest of the fod is, I am not eating kimchi
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1337 on: 23 May 2012, 23:37 »

I was wrong - sorry.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1338 on: 24 May 2012, 02:58 »

I was wrong - sorry.
No need to apologize. I think there's some merit to the idea that all allergens are proteins, seeing as all the components of organic life can be categorized as protein, far, or glucose-derivative. The latter two are hardly ever species-specific so there's no need to mount an immune response against them, if I understand correctly.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1339 on: 24 May 2012, 03:41 »

I am going to a party thrown by a korean family next weekend. Now, I am told that the mother's an excellent cook. But I don't care how good they say it is oor how good the rest of the fod is, I am not eating kimchi
That right there is a dang ole shame. I hope they have some other things you enjoy though. I've really only eaten Korean at a few restaurants. 1 of which I will no longer go to as I got amazingly sick after visiting. The other is in the back of a small grocer and is wonderful. But it was better before they revamped it and made it into a "proper" restaurant with English speaking wait staff.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1340 on: 24 May 2012, 06:19 »

I miss Korean food :-( There was a teeny tiny little take out place less than a block from FIT. I always ordered the bulgogi kimbob and bibimbap. It was simple but incredibly delicious. Now that I think about it I can't imagine that it's terribly difficult to make. Perhaps I'll give it a try!

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1341 on: 24 May 2012, 10:44 »

Also I'm pretty sure that's the cutest named food ever.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1342 on: 24 May 2012, 11:24 »

hahah it really is. The name of the restaurant was cute too- Kofoo.  :-D

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1343 on: 24 May 2012, 20:51 »

Oh god, straight up Bulgogi is one of my favorite foods ever. I don't like it hot and spicy, though - nice and sweet is my preference, since I don't like anything spicy. We have a kickass recipe for it, if anyone wants it - it's pretty easy to make. having a nice cut of meat for it can make it a bit pricy, though.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1344 on: 25 May 2012, 06:07 »

Ooh, I would love it! I'll probably end up making it with a cheaper cut of meat and just marinating the hell out of it lol. Top round was on sale for SUPER cheap this week, so I grabbed a few steaks. Usually it's about $4-$5 per pound and it was $1.79. I got 2 decently sized steaks for only $6.50. Since it's just the two of us and I've been ordered to cut down my red meat intake, these should last a while.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1345 on: 25 May 2012, 06:56 »

Yes, do share. I can always amp up the heat.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1346 on: 25 May 2012, 08:09 »

Coolies, I'll ask Mom where the recipe is tonight. We usually prepare it using really thin strips of beef (Probably an 1/8" to 1/4" thick - not sure what the metric equivalent would be, unfortunately). It marinates overnight, and then it gets fried up in a wok the following day.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1347 on: 25 May 2012, 08:37 »

ok, thanks. I tried something like that some nights ago. did the overnight marinade and it was still kind of tough. I grilled mine outside. Maybe did it too long, but was follow a recipe.

BLT with bacon fried potatoes, carrots, celery, onions in habanero vinegar.
also...
Dry rub went on this last night:

more-> http://pinterest.com/illicitizen/nom/
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1348 on: 25 May 2012, 09:11 »

That's why the cut of meat is so important, I think... it keeps it from being tough.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1349 on: 25 May 2012, 12:02 »

I wonder if it would work if you just cooked it niiiiice and slow.

Hmm.....I sense an experiment in my near future!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 47   Go Up