THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 15:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 468732 times)

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #1350 on: 27 May 2012, 14:30 »

My mother tells me this recipe is authentic - my brother was adopted from Seoul, Korea when he was six months old, and they used to take him to a Korean picnic they held once a year in Chicago. The recipe comes from a small cookbook that they handed out there in 1981.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1351 on: 27 May 2012, 19:10 »

I can't wait to try this! Thanks for the recipe :-)
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1352 on: 27 May 2012, 20:24 »

How small was that cook book?
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1353 on: 27 May 2012, 20:39 »

I can't wait to try this! Thanks for the recipe :-)
You're quite welcome :-)

Mister D - 6 recipes in total, 7 is you include the shrimp sauce. The rest has information on the various organizations for Korean-Americans at the time, as well as data pertaining to the highest concentration of Korean residents of Chicago by zip code - though I doubt that the information is still good, since it's from 1981.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1354 on: 28 May 2012, 08:03 »

Great. I forget. Is "Accent" just the meat tenderizer? I have not seen it in years. If I recall it is mainly some plant extract and sodium. Like papaya or something. True story: EMT's in S Florida (at least used to) carry Accent in their drug boxes. It is a sure fire neutralizer for jellyfish and Portuguese man-o-war stings. In any event, this sounds great. I've saved it. Will try it.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1355 on: 28 May 2012, 08:08 »

Not meat tenderizer, MSG, monosodium glutamate, often used in Chinese cooking. The one link I googled to reminded me that it's not in great favor in the U.S.; some are allergic to it. I recall it could cause headaches. It's considered a flavor enhancer, adding none of its own.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1356 on: 28 May 2012, 11:07 »

I'm not sure that we even use the accent - I'll have to ask Mom.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1357 on: 28 May 2012, 11:15 »

Just asked her, it's MSG. We don't always use it in there.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1358 on: 28 May 2012, 11:56 »

MSG is delicious and I'm really upset that so many places don't use it because people are weird about it.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1359 on: 28 May 2012, 12:52 »

I choose viet Fish Sauce instead of MSG. Definitely a flavor enhancer. And it doesn't make me feel icky. I'm pretty tolerant to toxins, pain meds, insect stings, land shark attacks, but MSG makes me feel not as good. It is ok in small doses, almost every prepared snack food has it.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1360 on: 29 May 2012, 12:41 »

I am going to make a mushroom and bacon quiche tomorrow. So excited!
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1361 on: 29 May 2012, 16:32 »

Chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika.  All you need to make hamburgers taste amazing. 

And throw in a little oregano if you want to be fancy.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Papersatan

« Reply #1362 on: 30 May 2012, 18:41 »

Today we had breaded pork chops, rice and vegetable. (mine where canned green beans which I love even though I know in my head they are mushy and gross).  Also there was apple sauce.

Also, also, there was dessert.

Pound cake and strawberries with sugar so they get juicy.  This is the first pound cake I have ever made.  It is Delicious.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #1363 on: 03 Jun 2012, 14:42 »

I'm morally and legally obligated (I think) to put in a plug for my wife's cooking blog. That aside, she's a pretty damn kickass cook.

http://www.starsstripesandspatulas.blogspot.com/

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1364 on: 03 Jun 2012, 15:19 »

A lot of good-looking recipes there.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1365 on: 03 Jun 2012, 16:24 »

Heck yeah. 'merican food!
 8-)
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1366 on: 03 Jun 2012, 20:55 »

I'm morally and legally obligated (I think) to put in a plug for my wife's cooking blog.
I endorse her recipe for "Veggie Chow Mein", except that oyster sauce is not vegetarian. You can get "vegetarian oyster sauce" that's made from mushrooms.

Incidentally, there were some postings earlier in the thread about MSG in Chinese food. If you have concerns about it, you should be careful about real oyster sauce, because it naturally contains a lot of glutamates, and cheap brands have MSG added to make up for containing less oyster.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1367 on: 05 Jun 2012, 17:28 »

Oyster mushooms?
In any event y'all crock pot haterz can suck it. I put my collards in when I left for work. Came home to delicious.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1368 on: 06 Jun 2012, 14:12 »

This week the local supermarket was renovating until Wednesday, so when I went out for groceries at 7 PM on Monday I found they were closed. I got chinese take-out instead, and found that I could get three dinners, and then some, out of a pack of noodles and a pack of sate for €8.50. When I cook for myself I can only get two dinners out of that amount of money. I'm currently looking for reasons not to get take-out every week.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1369 on: 06 Jun 2012, 14:32 »

Saturated fat, sodium, MSG, obesity, narrowing of the arteries, heart attacks.

Also, what are you cooking for yourself? If money is an issue, vegetables from a market rather than a supermarket are much cheaper, healthier, fresher and not going to kill you.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1370 on: 06 Jun 2012, 14:35 »

Black refried beans and a sharp jack cheese. I my gas will be taxed as an energy source.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1371 on: 12 Jun 2012, 11:33 »

Saturated fat, sodium, MSG, obesity, narrowing of the arteries, heart attacks.

Also, what are you cooking for yourself? If money is an issue, vegetables from a market rather than a supermarket are much cheaper, healthier, fresher and not going to kill you.
I hardly think any sort of vegetable is more likely to kill me than whatever processed foods they're already in. As for the rest, those are certainly some Reasons, though not particularly ones I think I need to worry too much about in this stage of this life, but Reasons nonetheless. I checked the bottles of soy sauce and oyster sauce I had in my cabinet, by the way, and neither had any MSG in it. At least that's good, right?

Tonight I had Chinese food anyway, though I made it myself from a recipe. One of the ingredients it required was some sort of Asian spice mix. I look at its ingredients: Water, onion, salt, pepper, preservatives. To hell with that, I got my own onion, salt and pepper, don't need those from a packet. The recipe was made with cooked noodles, with bacon, leek and onion, garnished with a hard-boiled egg, peanuts and spiced, ground coconut. Pretty good!
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1372 on: 12 Jun 2012, 11:45 »

That does sound good. I have never been brave enough to try Chinese recipes, because I've never seen anyone cooking Chinese food and feel like I'll mess it up.

I wasn't suggesting that vegetables of any kind would kill you, I was saying that they were more healthy than takeaway. And if you are sensible about those Reasons now, you won't have to worry about them as much in later life. If you aren't, you won't be able to avoid that worrying.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1373 on: 13 Jun 2012, 09:45 »

Well, as long as you have a recipe, I don't see why you should be worried about messing up. I may not be much of a cook, but at the end of the day, after ignoring, substituting, adding and dividing ingredients, I'm still left with a pan of food that is much more edible now than when I started with it. The recipe told me to fry the bacon, remove it from the pan, fry the leek and spice mix in the bacon fat, and then add the bacon back. Didn't bother doing that and put the vegetables right in. Still tasted like bacon, so no problem.

Though of course I'm working from a recipe I picked off a stand in the supermarket that said it was Chinese, and actually cooking Chinese might be a whole other can of noodles.

Papersatan

« Reply #1374 on: 15 Jun 2012, 11:56 »

caaaaake.  I don't think these aren't great enough to revive the cake thread wherever it is but I made a cake and cupcakes this week.  They are for different events. 

A rainbow cake.  Before frosting and after.

and ball gag cupcakes

« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2012, 13:20 by Papersatan »

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1375 on: 15 Jun 2012, 13:20 »

Hello everyone! I have discovered a wonderful cooking blog. I urge you to check it out if you haven't come across it already:
http://www.cookingcomically.com/

Also, I made popovers a few days ago! They were fairly good. Unfortunately I lacked toppings (It was a spur of the moment occasion)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1376 on: 17 Jun 2012, 11:18 »

Kat, I could not be more relieved that you clarified that the 4 year old birthday cake and the ball gag cupcakes were not for the same event.

Papersatan

« Reply #1377 on: 17 Jun 2012, 12:08 »

The cake cut open. 

squeeeee.  I am so excited by how this turned out.  I want to make another one.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1378 on: 17 Jun 2012, 12:35 »

Oooooh! I don't think I've ever squeeed before, but I'll squee for this!

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1379 on: 18 Jun 2012, 06:08 »

That looks awesome!!  :-)

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1380 on: 24 Jun 2012, 23:05 »

Midnight alfredo is the best alfredo. Even though I am a zombie from taking a nap too late.

I should probably elaborate more, but I am too goddamn tired

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #1381 on: 25 Jun 2012, 00:10 »

The trouble I have is making my food look good. Being the last week of living in my house, I made food with what I had left. Three frozen pollock fillets, a box of chopped tomatoes, garlic, a reasonable amount of red lentils, some red onions, some red cooking wine. Weirdly, it tasted good, but it really was the closest looking thing to vomit that I think I've ever created. To eat, that is.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1382 on: 25 Jun 2012, 05:30 »

Whenever I want food o look good, I add some vegetables to the plate

Papersatan

« Reply #1383 on: 27 Jun 2012, 11:53 »

Howdy reliable internet friends,

After a period during which my cooking was sharply limited by what foods I had on hand I suddenly have a food budget.  Food was pretty boring, particularly as I ran out of key ingredients (yeast!) which cut out whole categories of food which are usually made in this house (pizza!).  This new freedom to buy ingredients has filled me with an urge to cook.  Just everything! All the time! MAKE IT! 

So, what should I make?  We have a bit of aid built up, because it starts from the day you apply, not the day you are approved. This means I can afford to spend some money, but because we actually need this aid to eat, it has to give me a food outcome worth the investment.  What I mean is, I will not spend 25 dollars on caviar, but I could conceivably do so on a huge hunk of meat, because it would make enough meals to justify that much money.  I would rather have ideas that are pretty inexpensive though. 

I am a reasonably competent cook and baker, so I have no problem with ideas that are a bit of a challenge.  Also I am unemployed (hence this situation) so things that are time intensive are also ok.

So far I am going to make:
Bagels
Ice cream
I was going to can some pickles too maybe, but that depends how the cucumbers look at the market this Saturday

What else should I tackle?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1384 on: 27 Jun 2012, 11:59 »

As a broad general idea, I'd recommend if you have a larger sum of money now than you will have in future getting very large quantities of non-perishable things. Asian stores often sell huge bags of rice for tiny prices, for instance.

I'm a big fan of risottos, and you can put all manner of different vegetables and flavourings in them to ring the changes. It doesn't freeze once cooked but it's pretty easy and quick to cook. I always try to have two or three portions of risotto rice in, because it's a great dish when people drop in unexpectedly.

Papersatan

« Reply #1385 on: 27 Jun 2012, 13:24 »

I have a trip (tentatively) planned to a bulk baking supply store this Saturday.  We are buying a huge bag of flour, sugar and some large quantity of yeast.  We cook a lot from scratch and so these are our staples.  We also are getting rice, bulk dried beans and I have started buying some canned goods that are on sale to replenish our supply. 

Today I made mini quiches.  I was invited to someone's house and this is my "dish to share". 

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1386 on: 27 Jun 2012, 13:42 »

Do you have a recipe for those mini quiches?

I suggest you make some seafood. I once had a really good curry with some kind of fish. I quite liked it. Lamb's good too, especially if it's a really good cut

As for baking kind of stuff you could make a souffle. And pies. I really like baking fruit pies around this time of year

Unfortunately, I don't know about stuff that you can keep for a long time... Although you can try your hand at making homemade jam/jelly/preserves. It's tasty and goes great on all kinds of breakfast stuff.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1387 on: 27 Jun 2012, 14:24 »

Those look AMAZING.

I'm trying to find a recipe to try out my KitchenAid. My mum bought it for my 21st birthday but it lives at her house because it's too expensive and special to leave at uni (I'd either have to leave it in the kitchen at the mercy of my corridormates, or lug it back and forth and break my back) so I haven't used it yet. We'd have to cook reasonably late in the evening so I need something quick, ie not bread!

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1388 on: 27 Jun 2012, 16:38 »

What else should I tackle?
You didn't say how much refrigerator/freezer space you have. That might help with suggestions.

Papersatan

« Reply #1389 on: 27 Jun 2012, 22:38 »

Do you have a recipe for those mini quiches?

I feel like we had a pie crust discussion recently, but I can't find it.
Crust:
2 1/4 C flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shorting
1/2 cup ice water

cut the fats into the flour until it looks like crumbs then mix in the water slowly until it just holds together. 

Then I press little balls of crust into mini muffin pans poke them with a fork and blind bake at 350 ish until they start to set.  15 min maybe?
The filling is cooked broccoli, gruyere cheese and bacon. Then the egg stuff

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups cream
salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne

put in a bit of each thing and bake at 350 until they are set. 

I'm trying to find a recipe to try out my KitchenAid.
I mostly use my Kitchen Aid to make frosting, whipped cream, anything with beaten egg whites or large quantities of mashed potatoes.
Are you looking for a meal? If not, angel food cake with whipped cream (and fresh fruit) would be a good thing that makes good use of that motor instead of your arm. :)

You didn't say how much refrigerator/freezer space you have. That might help with suggestions.
A bit of fridge space, not a ton of freezer space and oooodles of pantry space.  I was more looking for creative things to make to eat in the short term than things to make and save up. Things that are fun to make, but which take too much time/effort to make regularly from scratch (and which don't call for too many crazy single use ingredients, bearing in mind I cook a lot, so unless something is really specialized I'll use it). 

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1390 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:57 »

My favorite recipes are Bob's Arrogantly Superior Guacamole, tandoori chicken with an utterly simple recipe done on a charcoal or gas grill and fake Krab California rolls, also utterly simple (nori from a market near you).

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1391 on: 28 Jun 2012, 06:22 »

Can you use coupons alongside your aid? What grocery stores are near you? My best advice for spending the extra funds is to stretch it as far as humanly possible, that way you can still maintain the ability to buy "treats" 6 months from now.  I follow http://www.livingrichwithcoupons.com/ (LRWC) and they post previews of the grocery store circulars as well as "matchups", so you can see what coupons go with what sales. This past week, I managed to snag 6 tubs of Smart Balance spreads for $2.40. Less than the regular price of one. I use that stuff instead of actual butter because I'm watching my cholesterol but it's usually too expensive. Now, I won't need to buy the stuff for another 6-8 months. And by then, it'll probably be on sale again. This was a better week for dairy than for pantry items, but that's not typically the case. It's not rare for me to snag 10 boxes of pasta for less than a buck. And there are a few things I never pay for (aside from the coupon cost)- panty liners, toothpaste, bottled iced tea,

Couponing isn't for everyone but it might be worth getting into since you have some extra time on your hands.

It's also REALLY easy when you use the internet to help. It only takes me about a half hour to prep for my grocery trip. I go on LRWC, take a peek at the preview ad, go to Dede's coupon clipping service and order whatever coupons I need. It's SO much easier than cutting them all out of the newspaper and ending up wasting a bunch of coupons since not all of them match up to good deals. I typically spend $4 a week on coupons and each week I make that $4 back from saving between $75- $100 at the grocery store.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1392 on: 28 Jun 2012, 08:30 »

I got this recipe for meatloaf from a friend and I made it last night and it is SO FREAKING GOOD.

bitchin' meatloaf recipe

ingredients:
2 eggs beaten
3/4 cup of milk
2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs (i prefer italian, but plain is fine too)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 tbls chopped fresh parsley (you can also use dried)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp of each: sage, basil, oregano (i also like a bit of ground thyme)
1/8 tsp black pepper (or more to your taste)
1/2 lb of each: ground beef, ground pork, pork sausage ( i use hot but you can use mild if you don't want it as spicy)
4-5 strips of bacon, cut in half
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar ( i prefer dark but light s ok)
1 tsp dry mustard (can also use any wet mustard but i just eyeball it for the right consistency and taste)
optional red pepper flakes i usually use about 1/2 tbsp but i like it with more heat.

Directions:
1. Combine eggs and milk in a med to large bowl. Stir in bread crumbs, onion, parsley, salt, and other herbs and spices. Add meat and mix well, I prefer to use my hands in order to get a good even mix. Pat into a 8x4x2 in loaf pan or into a 9x13 baking dish and form into loaf shape. Cover loaf with strips of bacon.

2. Bake at 350 for 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Spoon off fat. Combine ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. I usually mix to taste I tend to like a bit more brown sugar and a thicker sauce but you can play with it to get the ratio right. I also usually make a bit more sauce than the recipe calls for I like extra for dipping. Spread sauce over meatloaf and bake 10-15 minutes more. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.

It's supposed to make about 8 servings, but I would say closer to 5? But I like this meatloaf a lot, so I usually take large pieces. :evil: And she usually makes a double batch (in which case you double everything). Also extra sauce, because I didn't make it and kind of regretted it because the sauce is just so freaking good with it. So if you want to try a sweet and spicy meatloaf, try this out!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1393 on: 28 Jun 2012, 12:49 »

We're not trying out my KitchenAid after all :( Too much hassle getting it out of the cupboard apparently. I'll have to wait another year.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1394 on: 28 Jun 2012, 12:53 »

Bacon wrapped chicken with gravy, simple but yummy. Was gonna make mash but forgot to get potatoes.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1395 on: 02 Jul 2012, 09:47 »

I got this recipe for meatloaf from a friend and I made it last night and it is SO FREAKING GOOD.

bitchin' meatloaf recipe
The best one I ever made was ground beef and 2 huge and thick country ham steaks diced.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1396 on: 02 Jul 2012, 13:47 »

If you like lamb, and you can tolerate/like feta cheese, this recipe is fantastic! It doesn't have to be rack of lamb - shoulder or chops work just as well. I really like feta, so I make the 'breading' of mine with more feta than it calls for.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #1397 on: 02 Jul 2012, 16:04 »

I'm definitely trying the lamb recipe!

Did a wicked-easy carbonara the other day. No cream, just 3 eggs mixed with parmesan for the sauce - got a whole box of mushrooms, the remainder of some cooking bacon, a red onion and a few cloves of garlic in the pan whilst you heat up some spaghetti. Once the spaghetti is cooked, quickly dump into the egg mixture (it cooks whilst the pasta is hot) and once this is mixed, dump into the pan of goodies. I added some peas to mine, and figured out that due to the strong taste of parmesan, it is probably best to season the sauce, rather than the meat/pan ingredients, to get some proper flavour going on.

Takes about 15 minutes to make, easy!

Papersatan

« Reply #1398 on: 02 Jul 2012, 16:31 »

Today we made pickles!
only 3 jars because that is all the jars we had and so I didn't buy a lot of cucumbers.  My boyfriend's wife said she has extra canning jars I can have, so next week I will be making more.

Papersatan

« Reply #1399 on: 02 Jul 2012, 17:06 »

Double post!

Dinner: Purslane stuffed chicken, fresh peas and egg noodles.  Thanks to Michigan's "Double up food bucks" program which give you double food stamps when you use them at farmer's markets to buy local produce, the peas are fresh, and the purslane was actually grown within Detroit city limits. Awsome!

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 47   Go Up