THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 457905 times)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #1450 on: 29 Jul 2012, 16:29 »

Croquettes with dinner? As an ingredient? That's novel. Around here, they're most commonly eaten as snacks or a fast lunch, like spring rolls, or eaten on a bun like a meatball. You can get them in any snackbar in the country. Eating them as a substitute to potatoes would be unthinkable, given their reputation for being bad for your health, like most fast food.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1451 on: 30 Jul 2012, 03:58 »

I was introduced to them as a side dish. I think they could be compared to chips with health, in how they're prepared, since they can be baked instead of deep fried. At least that's how my Mammy would make them from scratch. Can't get around them being mostly carbs but some days you want that.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1452 on: 30 Jul 2012, 05:52 »

They sound awesome. Love me some carbs!  :-P
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1453 on: 30 Jul 2012, 06:38 »

I can see those being a good way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. I've had some prepared that way before and they're not bad! Kind of want to try a potato, bacon, and cheese version.

I cooked mush for the first time yesterday for breakfast - it was pretty good! Not the most healthy thing in the world, considering it's fried in butter and then covered with maple syrup, but it was a decent substitute for pancakes. I am also still working on perfecting a home fries recipe... The first time I used red potatoes w/ onion, peppers, paprika, garlic, pepper, and a little salt and the flavor was perfect, but the potatoes would not cook through for whatever reason. This time I used yukon gold, but didn't have any onions or peppers and while the texture was great, the flavor was bland. So, hopefully the third time will be the charm?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1454 on: 30 Jul 2012, 10:57 »

Mush is better (and less healthy) when fried in bacon grease. 

But then again, what isn't? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1455 on: 30 Jul 2012, 12:25 »

Well I was going to make bacon, but it was moldy.

Yes, moldy bacon. Didn't know it could happen and it kind of scared me.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1456 on: 30 Jul 2012, 12:39 »

ok, in prep for leaving this house; I'm cleaning out my freezer. Tomorrow I grill for the week. What's left:
4 pre-made hamburger patties
2.3 lbs of boneless pork chops.
Ugh, it is so hot. I guess I'll be eating the various bean soups for lunch that I've got frozen.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1457 on: 12 Aug 2012, 05:19 »

I needed egg-whites so I invented the following in order to have something to do with the yolks. Served this as dessert last night after a barbecue, was om nom nom.

Take 4 egg-yolks and whisk them with an electric egg-beater (or, better, in one of those kitchenaid-like things) while slowly adding sugar, about 0.5 dl or maybe a little more, until it's all pale and fluffy and looks like cake-batter.

Heat 0.5-1 dl of cream+milk (not whipping cream, more like 15%) in a double-boiler setup with cinnamon, cardamom and vanilla. You can skip the real vanilla and use vanilla/vanillin powder instead. Remove the spices and then add about 100g of nice dark chocolate (I use 70%, you can use 80% or greater but I think it dominates the other flavours too much), mix it all together as the chocolate melts. If it gets wonky just let it cool for a while and then whisk it together thoroughly. Beat the gloop into the egg mixture bit by tiny bit. Add some champagne or similarly flavoured bubbly, like 0.5dl or so. Pour into 4 or 5 cups or whatever (I used round-bottomed whisky-tumblers) and let them sit in the freezer for a few hours. Eat with sliced strawberries and coffee or some suitable booze :o

You can forego the bubbly in which case the end result will be more dense and chocolatey.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1458 on: 15 Aug 2012, 07:36 »

I, on the other hand, have some egg-whites left over from making tiramisu, so I'm going to make some meringues. There was a recipe for them in a magazine somewhere, let's see if I can find it...

The tiramisu didn't turn out so well, the mascarpone and egg yolks didn't stiffen properly so it was all a bit wet. Still tasty, though.

Well I was going to make bacon, but it was moldy.

Yes, moldy bacon. Didn't know it could happen and it kind of scared me.
I got that once as well, and just recently I found a patch of mold on some smoked salmon that had been in the fridge for some time. Generally, if food is slightly moldy it doesn't have to be spoiled, you can just scrape off the moldy bits and it'll be good for eating. Cheese and pesto are some of the things that can get a bit of mold on of them, but are still good to eat. It might go for bread too, but I've found that even though it's edible after getting rid of the mold, the taste still pervades a bit, so I usually throw it out.

Meat and fish products, however, are often fatty and not very friendly to molds in general, but what you do get on those are little growths of bacterial colonies. They're much harder to spot than mold, given that they're often transparent. The salmon I mentioned also had small colourless blobs on it, which were much more numerous than the mold, so once you find mold on your meat, it's definitely way past its expiration date, given that it's probably rife with bacteria as well. Though I think that, outside of meat products, bacterial growths occur only very rarely.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1459 on: 15 Aug 2012, 08:54 »

Yeah, I don't really care if I find mold on cheese, because, well, it's cheese, but everything else gets tossed. My stomach is delicate enough and I don't want to make my body angry by accidentally ingesting something I'm allergic to. Like I won't even drink or cook with milk the day after the sell by date. I was just surprised by the bacon because we didn't even have it that long, but I think it's because I had it wrapped in saran wrap instead of in an air tight bag or container. And the saran wrap we have is really crappy.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #1460 on: 15 Aug 2012, 14:50 »

Along with that, another item on my winter cooking list is a good stew. The closest I ever get to making that is making chili.

Take some cheap cuts of meat*, cut into bite sized peices and coat them lightly in flour with a little salt and pepper added.
In a heavy based frying pan, fry the pieces in sunflower oil until they are browned. Brown as in the deep rich brown of dark chocolate, not brown as in greyish because it hasn't spent much time in the pan.
Reserve the browned pieces on a plate.
In a heavy based stockpot, heat some oil and sweat some shallots, stir regularly.
Add the meat and fry a bit more.
If adding pulses and/or fungi, add them now.
Deglaze the frying pan** and transfer to the stockpot.
If adding booze***, add this now and simmer off.
Add stock****, a drop of balsamic vinegar, maybe an anchovy or two instead of salt, bay leaves.
Opinion on vegetables varies. Some put them all in at the start. I like to put heavy roots in at the start, along with celery. Everything else goes in near the end.
Cook at a low heat for at least and hour. Do not eat the food now. Leave to sit at room temperature overnight and then cook again for at least another hour before serving.

* cheap cuts of meat doesn't mean cheap meat, it means the cheaper cuts of the expensive meat. Cheap meat isn't worth buying.
** The best thing to deglaze with is booze, stock is a minimum second best.
*** Usual rules apply, white wine for chicken , red for lamb or beef, cider for pork, beer for beef. Not absolutes but will save some anguish. Lager is not beer, best to stick to bitters, stouts, porters and dark ales. A dose of honey helps temper a beer for stew without affecting the flavour too much.
**** Oxo is not stock, or any other instant granules except bouillon. Use a soft, paste stock cube as a minimum.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #1461 on: 16 Aug 2012, 03:02 »

Yeah, I don't really care if I find mold on cheese, because, well, it's cheese, but everything else gets tossed. My stomach is delicate enough and I don't want to make my body angry by accidentally ingesting something I'm allergic to. Like I won't even drink or cook with milk the day after the sell by date. I was just surprised by the bacon because we didn't even have it that long, but I think it's because I had it wrapped in saran wrap instead of in an air tight bag or container. And the saran wrap we have is really crappy.

Interesting - I guess I'm more of a "suck it and see" kind of person, probably because I've grown up with the idea that throwing food away is sacrilege. (Note: you can't make friends easily with this philosophy) Saying that, there were far too many times as a student that I'd realise 3/4 of the way through a sandwich that the bread I'm eating has little green spores all over it. That's when the coke has to come out...

Seldom Killer - interesting that you'd suggest frying off the meat before cooking it. I guess it makes a difference whether you're doing a stockpot/crockpot or have an electric slow-cooker (or are you just being safe?). I usually use an electric slow cooker, so basically shove everything in at say 10am and have that heating and cooking away till something like 5-6pm, slowly adding spices/wine over that time. Usually means the raw meat is beautifully cooked in the stock and is very tender.

I've got a proper tried and tested salad going on now. I've tried it as a base for dishes with both mackerel and chicken, so it seems pretty versatile in that way. It's great for this time of year, as you get a big citrus/mint hit - any Americans suffering with the heat may be interested!

Start cooking your meat/fish of choice.

While that is frying/baking/grilling, shove this stuff in a bowl:
1-2 portions of cooked betroot, thinly sliced (I am able to buy 4 beets ready-cooked in a packet, so 1-2 of these I guess)
Handful of mint leaves, torn up/chopped
Juice and zest of 1/2 an orange
120g of cooked lentils (your choice, they go with everything - I've been using green and 'lentilles vertes', which are just smaller French ones)

Now, shove more stuff in the bowl:
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar (I've been using white - does it matter? I love wine)
1 tsp pommegranate juice

Get some plates out. Shove some leaves of your choice on there - I've been using baby leaf spinach and watercress.
Wash a cup or two of green beans or sugar-snap peas (I have them raw), slice them and scatter them (preferably over the plates)
If you've got a pommegranate handy, disperse half of the seeds (bits? pods?) over the leaves.
The other half of that orange? Chop it up and sprinkle over the leaves too
Chuck the beetroot mixture over the plates too. Do it well, or your prospective diners will hate you.
Lay the fish/meat over the 'bed' of leaves/beetroot mixture.

Huzzah! A big citrus hit in a meal that is packed full of good things, protein, and like 16 of your five-a-day.

spoon_of_grimbo

• http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #1462 on: 16 Aug 2012, 16:18 »

i made a thing tonight that consisted of tomatoes, mushrooms, sweetcorn, peppers, onion, and (pre-boiled) carrots, all cooked in a wok with some leftover lean beef mince from last night's dinner, and a generous amount of lea & perrins sauce, paprika and pepper added.  can any of you more culinary-minded individuals enlighten me as to what this recipe is called, if at all?  all i know is it was tasty as hell, and having gotten as much nutritional info as possible, i worked out that the fairly generous portion i had was only about 400calories.  which, for a full meal that was pretty filling, isn't too bad really...

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1463 on: 16 Aug 2012, 17:20 »

Sounds like a stir-fry to me! And yeah vegetables are awesome like that, you can eat 2 cups and it's only like 40 calories.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1464 on: 16 Aug 2012, 17:26 »

I guess you could call it a stir-fry. I dunno, "Spoon of Grimbo" comes to mind.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #1465 on: 16 Aug 2012, 23:17 »

Seldom Killer - interesting that you'd suggest frying off the meat before cooking it. I guess it makes a difference whether you're doing a stockpot/crockpot or have an electric slow-cooker (or are you just being safe?).

Absolutely nothing to do with safety at all. It's to do with flavour and texture.
As with any meat, seasoning is important. Frying the meat with the seasoning keeps it bound into the meat and means you don't have to season the whole stew to the same level. The flour is in effect the construction of the roux to help thicken and texture the gravy. Frying also helps seal in some of the fat so you're getting that braising effect rather than just boiled meat. You also get a coalescense of the natural sugars and fats from the meat, hence the subsequent deglaze.
Even when using an electric slow-cooker I'll fry the meat ahead of time.

Lupercal

« Reply #1466 on: 17 Aug 2012, 01:28 »

Neat. Well, I'll definitely try that next time I do something in the slow cooker. I realised what a huge difference seasoning the meat, rather than the sauce, makes in dishes like chilli and lasagne, so I guess the same applies here. Thanks!

spoon_of_grimbo

« Reply #1467 on: 18 Aug 2012, 05:02 »

yeah, i thought stir-fry at first, but i've always associated that with noodles and beansprouts.  i guess you're right though, thanks!  unfortunately, my username has nothing to do with food haha!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1468 on: 24 Aug 2012, 11:26 »

I made an oven dish with potato, witloof, leaf celery, ham and cheese. The potatoes were undercooked, so I'm gonna leave those out next time, the dish is plenty filling without them.

Many vegetables that I felt 'meh' about when I was still living with my parents I suddenly find really tasty when I get around to preparing them myself. In this case it's the witloof. I really ought to make more dishes with vegetables as a main ingredient (instead of onion, bell pepper etc.), but there aren't a lot of convenient recipes for small servings. I haven't been able to find a recipe for two using one eggplant, for example.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1469 on: 24 Aug 2012, 11:41 »

Searing meat always helps. I always make roast beef and beef stews and whatnot and always sear it before I chuck it in the pot. It really does make a difference in flavor. Same with grilling - sear the outsides on a high flame area to get the awesome grill flavor on the outside and then move the meat to a lower flame area to slowly cook the interior. It gets all the flavor, but still remains juicy and tender. I also always sear chicken before I bake it, especially if it has some kind of coating or breading that I don't want to get mushy while it's sitting in the pan.

But speaking of grilling, I found an excellent way to grill potatoes and still have them be tender! I think I took about 6 smallish yukon gold potatoes, chopped them into 1/2"-1" cubes, mixed them with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and fresh rosemary (I love my rosemary plant), put them in tin foil, spotted them with some butter (I used Smart Balance, not actual butter), and sealed them up really tight in the foil. About 15 min on the grill, flipping only once, and they were delicious. The left overs I fried up in a skillet the next morning and they made pretty decent home fries as well. You could use pretty much whatever seasoning, but I definitely recommend using a little onion - I made potatoes similar to this without onions once and they were a little bland, even though I used several other seasonings.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1470 on: 25 Aug 2012, 16:15 »

I'm going to try something tonight with my roomies.

Pizza.

No tomato sauce, instead a roasted garlic spread, with a goat cheese/sage mix on top, and then covered with transparently sliced tomatoes.

I came up with the idea, only I'm a terrible cook, so my roommate helped piece together exactly how the ingredients would go together, and we'll see how well it turns out. It sounds pretty tasty to me.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1471 on: 25 Aug 2012, 21:55 »

How did that turn out?
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

Zingoleb

« Reply #1472 on: 25 Aug 2012, 23:42 »

Meh. A little heavy on the cheese, which was creamy and made the whole thing rather soft. It needs something else, but I'm not sure. I like the idea of chicken on it, but my roommates are not enthused at the idea.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #1473 on: 26 Aug 2012, 00:15 »

I'm picturing rudimentary pizza makers doing exactly what you did and saying "It needs something else!" (in their pizza making language) before finally settling on a bread/tomato/cheese combo. Then, thousands of years in the future, the cycle repeats.

If you really don't want tomato, try this:
http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/640932-Chicken-Ranchero-Pizza?full_recipe=true
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

Zingoleb

« Reply #1474 on: 26 Aug 2012, 00:41 »

That's basically what we did, minus the ranch and chicken. I feel like chicken would make it an excellent dish but they are so opposed to it for whatever reason.

Oh, right, because they eat nothing but beef, every night. Bleh.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1475 on: 26 Aug 2012, 08:49 »

Chicken on pizza is so good! Other options - spinach, alfredo as a sauce, italian seasoning, red/green bell pepper, prosciutto or capicola, fresh mozzarella instead or with the goat cheese.... Really the possibilities are endless. Pizza is awesome.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1476 on: 26 Aug 2012, 09:44 »

That's basically what we did, minus the ranch and chicken. I feel like chicken would make it an excellent dish but they are so opposed to it for whatever reason.

Oh, right, because they eat nothing but beef, every night. Bleh.

Make the pizza with chicken, and don't tell them it's on there. Then if/when they say it's awesome, inform them that it's because it has chicken on it. Revel in their new meal of crow.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1477 on: 26 Aug 2012, 10:21 »

20 years ago, I did an anonymous restaurant review column for my small suburban newspaper. A year or so later, I was invited to enter my own pizza in a "Celebrity Chef" contest at an upscale pizza chain in the Detroit area. The night before, I experimented with two pizzas:
Using pre-made Boboli crusts, I applied mozzarella cheese, a thin spread of Major Grey's chutney and pieces of tandoori chicken, for which I have a simple recipe (plain yogurt, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, curry powder and red food coloring; put on a grill). For the second, I kept the cheese and chutney but replaced the chicken with shrimp sauteed with garlic and saffron. For the contest, I worked with a restaurant chef who made the tandoori version, adding some onion. It didn't win, but a version of it suspiciously showed up on the chain's menu in the next year. I entered the saffron shrimp version the next year. It didn't win either, but it was my favorite. Although I've made neither one since.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1478 on: 26 Aug 2012, 17:45 »

Mmmmmmm....homemade pizzaaaaa.

I'm a big fan of bbq chicken pizza. Plus, it's SO easy to make.

Tonight, I'm making banana bread :-) I found a recipe on food.com that had a ton of great reviews and edited it a bit- swapped out the butter for margarine, added a few tablespoons of applesauce, a cup and a half of walnuts and a few dashes of cinnamon. There is currently a heavenly scent wafting through my apartment. I hope this thing tastes as good as it smells.

Papersatan

« Reply #1479 on: 26 Aug 2012, 17:56 »

Were you out of chocolate chips and pecans?!  You must have been, only reason to settle for walnuts in banana bread.

(I think walnuts are the wonder bread of nuts. though I did have a cake with walnuts in last week and it was superb)

Tonight we had a pork/shiitake stir fry thing with broccoli.  Steve even ate the broccoli so it must have been good.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1480 on: 27 Aug 2012, 11:31 »

Lol! They kind of are, but I love them just the same. I've never met a nut I didn't like  :-P

The bread is delicious! I was surprised because usually I can't bake to save my life, but this was moist, not too dense but sooo filling just the same. Pecans sound like they would have been fabulous though- next time!

I don't get the big vendetta against broccoli, but Nick is the same way- I have to chop it up into bits or he'll just shove it aside. Personally? I could eat a whole pound of it by itself- steamed, roasted, raw...you name it.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1481 on: 27 Aug 2012, 12:14 »

I love broccoli! I do not understand people who don't like broccoli. Like seriously I think it is one of the least offensive vegetables you can eat, next to carrots and peas.

Also banana bread is nomalicious. As is zucchini bread. Hmm. Now I need to ask my mom for her recipes so I can make them...

Papersatan

« Reply #1482 on: 27 Aug 2012, 12:32 »

If we are having a quick bread nom off I submit pumpkin bread to the ballot.

Also, I had to learn to like broccoli.  I have always liked it raw, but even now just a pile of cooked broccoli is not real appealing to me.  I need to eat it in something.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1483 on: 27 Aug 2012, 12:57 »

I learned that Mrs. Dash is a very useful seasoning on broccoli for people who don't like it very much. Also garlic, because garlic makes everything better.

Also yes, pumpkin bread is also very good. That's yet another recipe I need to ask for!

Lupercal

« Reply #1484 on: 27 Aug 2012, 14:14 »

I find it interesting when people love broccoli but have an aversion to its close cousin, cauliflower.

I've also considered how versatile chicken thighs are. Recipe or something to come, I'm sure.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1485 on: 27 Aug 2012, 15:08 »

But when talking about broccoli, are people here referring to calabrese, a coarser purple version of cauliflower? Or are they mentioning the vegetable delicacy with a short summer season that is purple-sprouting broccoli?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Papersatan

« Reply #1486 on: 27 Aug 2012, 15:08 »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1487 on: 27 Aug 2012, 15:20 »

Calabrese, then.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1488 on: 27 Aug 2012, 18:02 »

Purple?  :?

If you're in need of a banana bread recipe, I just found & posted one today: Whole Wheat Banana Bread.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1489 on: 27 Aug 2012, 18:06 »

Carrots are also purple! But it's the orange ones that are popular.

I find it interesting when people love broccoli but have an aversion to its close cousin, cauliflower.

I like that too. Mashed cauliflower is yummy and is better for you than mashed potatoes! (Though not as yummy or addictive as mashed potatoes, they are still quite good.) I really want to try this recipe for roasted cauliflower - it sounds delicious. Really I think the only veggies I have problems with are cabbage, brussel sprouts, and various forms of greens, but probably because I haven't had them fixed in a way I like. Also they tend to stink and smell is a big factor for me. And mushrooms because they're squeaky and also a fungus. And beans, but only the larger ones and when they aren't mixed with something, but that's because of texture not flavor.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1490 on: 27 Aug 2012, 18:10 »

Oh I heard a cool article the other day about how in large sections of Africa people farm sweet potatoes, but it's a variety that's either white or yellow inside! And only the orange ones from North America have vitamin A in them, and it turns out vitamin A is really crucial in preventing malnutrition and starvation - like even if people are getting "enough" calories if they don't get vitamin A there's still a really high death rate. So now they're introducing orange sweet potatoes to Africa and everybody's like yay yes I do not want to die I will pay extra for orange potatoes.

They also talked about scientists trying to do the same thing artificially through genetics to add important vitamins to other foods. And the slow reappearance of odd colored heirloom potatoes. (I feel so smart when I listen to NPR.)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1491 on: 27 Aug 2012, 18:53 »

That's actually pretty cool!

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #1493 on: 27 Aug 2012, 23:34 »

Calabrese can be purple.

So can lots of vegetables, though.  I have grown purple French beans and purple potatoes.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1494 on: 27 Aug 2012, 23:45 »

We grow purple string beans in our garden. They turn a kind of an olive green when you cook them, though.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1495 on: 28 Aug 2012, 06:52 »

Mmmmmm.....mashed cauliflower is awesome. I definitely have to say that my favorite way to prepare broccoli is to roast it with a few drizzles of olive oil & some minced garlic. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top and omggg. It has a nice smoky flavor and a deliciously satisfying crisp. I want some of this right now.

And pumpkin bread, yes! Autumn is quickly approaching and while I'm not excited about the change in the weather, I am super pumped for seasonal produce.

(Also- yay sweet potatoes!)

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1496 on: 28 Aug 2012, 07:12 »

I want to make zucchini bread, but my floor's oven is crappy.
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1497 on: 28 Aug 2012, 08:07 »

So, go up/down a floor, and hang with it while it cooks. 

Bring a book. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Papersatan

« Reply #1498 on: 28 Aug 2012, 08:43 »

My father made purple cauliflower once and steamed it.  It turned an unappetizing grey and looked a lot like brains,

Lupercal

« Reply #1499 on: 29 Aug 2012, 14:59 »

But isn't eating it how you gain its powers?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 47   Go Up