THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 06 Jun 2024, 23:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 490567 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #1950 on: 09 May 2014, 08:58 »

Curry is literally just some stuff in a sauce made with curry powders of some kind. I can't believe that you wouldn't be able to get things like cumin and turmeric in the USA!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1951 on: 09 May 2014, 10:24 »

I personally like Panang curry, made with coconut milk and kaffir lime leaves. So good.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #1952 on: 09 May 2014, 12:42 »

I've had curry in the states several times! There's a thai place near my boyfriend's place that does amazing curry, for instance.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1953 on: 09 May 2014, 18:46 »

Garand, Japanese curry is very different from Indian curry, which is what Gaz is talking about.

Considering I have made both, Japanese curry is stupid easy and doesn't take long at all. Indian curry, done right from scratch, will take a while. I do have a recipe that I can share, though, if you're interested. Some of the spices can be harder to find, but you could probably just use a curry blend and add to it. And it's definitely a crockpot meal.

Fried rice is also very simple and easy. I highly recommend buying a giant bag of rice instead of boxes. Also a rice cooker is your friend!

Buy lots of frozen chicken (or fake meat if you're veg) and vegetables. Also lots of pasta. Pasta is very easy to do whatever with.

But for legitimate recipe suggestions, what do you like to eat? I can try to find some of my favorites that are easy.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #1954 on: 09 May 2014, 20:07 »

I know they are, I just like Japanese curry better :P
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1955 on: 10 May 2014, 04:35 »

I shallow fry my Indian curries and get them done inside of 20 minutes.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1956 on: 10 May 2014, 06:57 »

Excuse me, Gaz, but your Brit is showing.

:mrgreen:
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1957 on: 10 May 2014, 07:11 »

I've had curry cooked fast and I've slow cooked it. It tastes way better slow cooked, especially if it's saag.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1958 on: 10 May 2014, 08:05 »

These things are about preference of course - but if we're looking for cheap and easy...

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1959 on: 10 May 2014, 08:23 »

Not really cooking but I've really got into milkshakes and smoothies. Even nicked borrowed my Mammy's spare old blender to make them. They're really yummy and filling and cheap when you buy Asda brand ingredients.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #1960 on: 10 May 2014, 10:13 »

You can make "curry" quickly, but it's not as yummy. At the very least you should let it rest for a few hours so the flavours can marry properly :o you can also make curry with pre-ground or frozen spice mixes, but, again, it's not as yummy as it is when you prepare the spices yourself eg. by toasting and grinding them at home right before cooking. Still, we must be practical if we want to eat!

Nervioso: flour, pasta, rice, lentils and beans, eggs, chicken, frozen veggies, things in tins, onions, garlic, ginger, spice mixes etc are your friends.

Some people like to plan out a whole week's menu in advance and find that approach easy and cheap. I prefer to drop by the grocery store very often (it's on my way home) and let my meals be determined partly by whatever's good and happens to be on sale. I let myself be inspired by the fickle but ultimately wise gods of the Discount :o

Similarly, some people prefer to do a whole week's worth of cooking all in one go. I find that exhausting and feel like I don't want to waste too much of my weekend leisure time like that, so I cook often during the week and either freeze or remix the leftovers.

Basic formula: buy good food at a discount, cook enough for a few meals, freeze leftovers for those days when you don't have the time or energy to cook, or turn them into stir-fry, fried rice, soups etc.

Stuff like this is a little OTT but still very cool:

http://lifehacker.com/5483388/make-17-meals-from-one-chicken

http://lifehacker.com/5813583/stretch-one-chicken-over-five-days-for-less-than-50
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Metope

« Reply #1961 on: 10 May 2014, 10:17 »

My flatmate's family is from Pakistan, and the curries she cooks (her mom's recipes) take hours. You really need to let all the veg, meat and spices simmer for a long time in order to make a super delicious one, it seems.

I'm a lazy and impatient cook, so the food I make take no time at all and is super easy. It never tastes as good as food someone has spent a long time on, but I guess that's all about priorities. I tend to forget food exists until I'm hungry, and then I want is straight away.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1962 on: 10 May 2014, 10:33 »

My flatmate's family is from Pakistan, and the curries she cooks (her mom's recipes) take hours.

My ex wife is also from Pakistan, and it was her who taught me to make curries. I ain't havin' my curry credentials questioned  :parrot:

Also I don't use recipes, I just throw shit in there and see what sticks.

ANYWAY

Point is, I agree that planning a week's menu is a good way to save money, it's what I do. I do a stock-up shop from one supermarket on a monthly basis and buy bits and bobs as the month goes on as needed, otherwise the basics I buy enough to last me the whole month.

Metope

« Reply #1963 on: 10 May 2014, 10:38 »

My ex wife is also from Pakistan, and it was her who taught me to make curries.

Maybe she was a shit cook  :mrgreen:

(I'm sure she wasn't a shit cook)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1964 on: 10 May 2014, 10:42 »

(click to show/hide)

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1965 on: 10 May 2014, 10:47 »

Yeah, I think I can't do one shopping trip every week. The only reliable form of transport I have is the bus, so i need to be able to carry everything I buy in one go.

I will see what I can do for curry. I already have some spices, I can't think of what to do with them

Also, rice cooker is a good idea. I also want to get a crockpot too. My stove isn't the best, so I would prefer to cook my meat in a slow cooker. Plus slow cooking your food makes everything smell delicious

Unless something burns, that is
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1966 on: 10 May 2014, 11:02 »

Do you guys not have delivery services in the US? I do a big order from Asda and it comes to my door, it means I don't have to care how much I can carry. Or do they not have that over there?

As for the spices, you have two options:
1. Find a recipe
2. Add little bits of everything until you find a taste you like before you add the meat. I do this. Typically a curry of mine will have salt, pepper, cumin, coriander (ground in the base, fresh to go on at the very end), ginger, chili powder and garlic. Sometimes tumerick if I'm feeling saucy.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1967 on: 10 May 2014, 11:07 »

Burning something in a slow cooker is kind of hard. :-)

I like my rice cooker a lot because it has a tray in it for steaming vegetables, so I don't have to use a pot to do it on the stove. (Yay for not cleaning all of my pots for one meal!)

Edit: Gareth, not really. I'm sure really big cities do, but most of the US doesn't.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1968 on: 10 May 2014, 11:09 »

I love garlic. More than anything in the world. There is a great Indian restaurant here and have amazing garlic fries.

And we do have some grocery delivery companies here in the US, but they tend to run on the expensive side of things, at least in my experience.

Burning things in slow cookers: It's been done before. Though it depends on what you put in it. From my experience BBQ pork burns easily

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1969 on: 10 May 2014, 11:26 »

Also here's my curry recipe, since we're talking about it. It makes a very large batch (10-12 servings), though, be warned.

- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped roughly
- 2 medium onions, chopped roughly
- 1/2 cup garlic (I use preminced)
- 1/2 cup ginger root paste (I buy this in tubes)
- 2 sticks butter (*OR 1/2 cup vegetable oil)
- 1 quart heavy cream (*OR 2 cans coconut milk)
- 1 TBS each of cumin, paprika, turmeric, coriander, fenugreek, salt
- 1/2 TBS each of asafetida, sugar, and chili powder (add more chili powder for more heat)
- 2 TBS garam masala

*For a more traditional dish.

1. Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, and ginger in blender - blend until liquified.
2. Melt two sticks of butter in a large pot. Then pour in liquified vegetables, mix thoroughly, and cover.
3. Cook on high for 15 minutes or until golden orange.
4. Turn off heat and stir in spices, salt, and sugar slowly.
5. Simmer on low for 10 minutes to toast spices. (DO NOT SKIP.)
6. Add heavy cream slowly and stir in.
7. Add tomato paste for tikka masala (24 oz) OR spinach for saag (30oz frozen leaves) OR leave as is for golden curry.
8. Stew curry for 2-8 hours before serving. (I usually pour it into a crock pot and cook it all day on low.)

If you want to add meat or veggies, I add them when I put them in the crock pot. If you want to add paneer, do that about 10 min before you intend to serve/eat it. I usually pair it with jasmine rice with peas.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2014, 06:59 by Linds »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1970 on: 10 May 2014, 12:21 »

If at all possible, find a greengrocers or similar to buy your fruit and veg from. It tends to be local and seasonal, fresher and cheaper than supermarkets, and if you're regular customer they're more likely to give you discounts. I can get a fortnight's fruit and veg for a fiver from my local place - admittedly this is because I eat like a mouse but nonetheless.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1971 on: 11 May 2014, 06:48 »

You can also use a rice cooker as a slow cooker - there's a ton of recipes online.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1972 on: 12 May 2014, 08:40 »

dr. nervioso- is there a ShopRite near you? They have a shop from home thing that might be worth it every once in a while for the heavy stuff.

For quick/easy/cheap meals, I fry up some chicken/pork/beef and toss in some mixed vegetables once it's mostly cooked through (I like using frozen because they taste better than canned but have less prep than fresh). You can either marinate the meat or add sauce near the end (too soon and it thickens too much and then you have to add water and it dulls the flavors). I've used a garlic butter sauce, sweet and sour, honey barbecue, marinara, lemon pepper, bacon alfredo, hot chili.....you name it. Serve over rice or pasta and you're done :-)

If you're feeling adventurous, buy a whole chicken- then you've got food for the week! Roast it on a day when you have some time to dedicate to it. It's not hard, just a little time consuming. Especially if you boil the carcass when most of the meat is off. Then you can toss in some root veggies and make a soup (assuming it's not 90 degrees out and you actually want to eat soup). First day, roasted chicken wings/legs with a veg and starch on the side. Second day, cut up chicken breast and toss in some taco seasoning. Stick into taco shells or tortillas with some lettuce, tomato and cheddar. Third day, take whatever remaining meat you have left and turn into chicken salad (mayo, chopped celery, salt, pepper, garlic).

RE: Slow Cooker- as long as there is enough liquid in it, it shouldn't burn.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Aimless

« Reply #1973 on: 18 May 2014, 03:21 »

Post-call breakfast:

- scrambled eggs--make it in a bain-marie with a decent amount of butter, finish off with chopped chives and some creme fraiche
- bacon--fry it with a little bit of water for a perfect texture
- sourdough bread--fry it in the same pan as the bacon
- mushrooms and tomatoes--ditto

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1974 on: 18 May 2014, 15:45 »

Made curry again, the neighbors rejoiced.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1975 on: 20 May 2014, 19:14 »

I made curry (Japanese) tonight. I don't care what anyone says, curry of any kind is THE comfort food. Never fails to make both me and my belly very happy.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1976 on: 21 May 2014, 11:38 »

I bought two sweet potatos yesterday, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them when i bought them but they were cheap and healthy. I think I am going to go make some homemade sweet potato fries. I just need to get vegetable oil, a peeler, and maybe some garlic to season them.

Also, curry: I've looked at some recipes and I think I'm going to make a cocnut milk chicken curry. I've really wanted to use coconut milk lately so this will be perfect.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1977 on: 21 May 2014, 14:03 »

I made curry (Japanese) tonight. I don't care what anyone says, curry of any kind is THE comfort food. Never fails to make both me and my belly very happy.

The ones I make are so healthy that it's great for a hangover food or food after a weekend with university friends.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1978 on: 22 May 2014, 10:15 »

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1979 on: 22 May 2014, 13:20 »

I protest, that's no Angry Marine. He's not beating up the pot of water.

Aimless

« Reply #1980 on: 24 May 2014, 08:58 »

Just made some of the best burgers I've ever made.

Patty: Coarse-ground chuck, salt, pepper, an egg, a small amount of highly reduced juniper-flavoured elk stock, capers, fried/toasted onions.

Toppings: chevrette cheese, aubergine-slices fried in mustardseed oil

Bun: thinly sliced sourdough bread with little flakes of sea-salt.

Aubergines are just the best

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1981 on: 26 May 2014, 08:25 »

I'm baking banana bread because I had nearly a dozen black bananas. If it tastes even half as good as the batter did raw, it'll be amazing.

Verdict: it is pretty good, but would be even better with raisins. Which is the next plan! I think I'll make another loaf tomorrow and freeze it, but first I have to go and buy some more baking powder and some raisins.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2014, 09:20 by Barmymoo »

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1982 on: 26 May 2014, 14:20 »

I have quite a few old bananas. I think I am gong to make myself a dinner of banana pancakes tonight (Hooray for brinner!)

I still need a loaf pan to cook banana bread.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1983 on: 26 May 2014, 16:24 »

I had a banana bread recipe, bananas, and the desire to make banana bread before I had a loaf pan. And then I bought a loaf pan and left it at my dad's house for nearly two months. I managed to wait a whole 24 hours between getting it home and making the bread, mainly because I was so exhausted yesterday I couldn't see straight.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1984 on: 27 May 2014, 02:33 »

I made Spaghetti Florentine. Except I used Quorn mince instead of beef, and chopped bok-choy instead of celery and spinach. I am not sure if I should call it
(click to show/hide)
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1985 on: 27 May 2014, 03:41 »

Go with the pun. Let me know how the bok-choy goes?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #1986 on: 29 May 2014, 02:18 »

The bok-choy was fine. The stems stood in for celery, and the leaves, suitably torn up, for spinach. The flavour is different of course, but we all liked it. It's definitely been added to my do-again list. I used so called "baby" bok-choy BTW, because the leaves are nicer.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1987 on: 30 May 2014, 03:47 »

I've only had bok choi a couple of times but I really liked it.

I made banana bread again and this time put chocolate chips and cherries in, and an extra banana. It was so good! I have only managed to resist eating the whole thing because I want to take the remaining half on my DATE tonight.

Aimless

« Reply #1988 on: 30 May 2014, 15:55 »

I made a cake yesterday that I think may be one of my best ever. I blended a mixture of toasted nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts and cashews) into a nut-butter/paste, made a ganache-like mixture using a little cream and a lot of dark chocolate where half of it contained a creamy lemon-ginger filling, whipped some egg-whites into a stiff foam, mixed it all together (oh yeah, there was some sugar, vanilla and sea-salt involved too) and then chucked it in the oven for a while.

Everyone seemed to like it warm, but the texture and consistency of the gooey centre was not to my liking. It was the wrong kinda lava! But after a day in the fridge, holy crap, so frickin' delicious! The possibilities are ENDLESS

Aimless

« Reply #1989 on: 02 Jun 2014, 14:48 »

Continuing on the theme of "best ever"...

Made a really tasty and incredibly simple soup today. I guess you could say it's inspired by the vichyssoise and the basic idea can be adapted to many other ingredients.

Cook large chunks of peeled and seeded butternut squash in about 1.3-1.5 L chicken-stock together with half a thickly sliced leek (I prefer the white part for this), garlic (I used some that had been marinated in oil and herbs because I'm lazy and they were there) and toasted onion (because I'm lazy and because it's YUM). Add spices to taste, eg. nutmeg, fresh-ground pepper and a reasonably hot fresh red chili. Blend everything into a puree using a hand-held blender (be careful!). Remove from heat, add cream to taste and toss in some peeled shrimps. Wait a few minutes and then ENJOY

Everything in the recipe is "to taste" but I didn't taste it at all while cooking and fortunately it turned out PERFECT. You can replace the butternut with courgettes or a variety of starchy veggies, but I prefer butternut for the colour and for the mild but distinctive flavour (it's a pain in the ass to peel and cut though). I usually make this soup with home-made shrimp-stock but using chicken bouillon cubes is so very much easier and still delicious. You can replace the shrimp with fresh fish, eg. cod, pangasius, salmon etc. A bit of crunch is also nice, eg. garlic flavoured croutons, bruschetta, gougeres or just good old grilled cheese sandwiches :o it's good hot, warm or cold (becomes a lot thicker when cold). Some people may want to add some sourness, eg. lemon juice or tomato paste.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1990 on: 03 Jun 2014, 23:01 »

I made some "poof" lemon bars with my 2 yr old niece yesterday. It's wicked easy and totally impresses little kids if you're babysitting.

You pretty much just take a box of angel food mix and add to it an acidic fruit thing -- like a can of lemon pie filling or a can of crushed pineapple or a can of tropical fruit -- and POOF. You can almost hear the batter take a deep breath as it starts to expand.

It's VERY fun -- I let the 2 yr old keep stirring as the batter got bigger and bigger, and right before it overflowed the bowl, we poured it into a pan and baked this mysterious monster into a cake.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #1991 on: 04 Jun 2014, 08:59 »

Okay, I'm doing thst now. I just need a cake pan

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1992 on: 04 Jun 2014, 13:24 »

That sounds amazing.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1993 on: 05 Jun 2014, 23:36 »

She was pretty impressed.

Of course, I also squirted whipped cream in her mouth today, which as far as she's concerned means I'm a genius and a true innovator. She's a little easy to impress.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1994 on: 06 Jun 2014, 06:19 »

Hahaha toddlers are awesome. A land of unexplored culinary treasure awaits!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #1995 on: 17 Jun 2014, 10:12 »

Every time she makes sweets I gain weight.  :psyduck:

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1996 on: 19 Jun 2014, 11:03 »

I see your delicious ice cream and raise you Julia Child waxing philosophical and chopping stuff.

Aimless

« Reply #1997 on: 05 Jul 2014, 13:55 »

Good Food Weekend

Finished work early yesterday so I had time to roam around town for a while and found some nice (and, for us, unusual) bits of meat.

So, today, we had a kind of egg drop soup for lunch (nice reasonably spicy chicken broth thickened with okra, with a few other thinly sliced veggies, some duck confit--and, of course, an egg) and, for dinner, a small dry-aged beer-cooler-sous-vide steak with assorted seaweeds, some pan-fried polenta (SO GOOD) and sauteed mushroom (one the ginger had found while out walking and that probably will not kill us).

And, for dessert, a very chocolatey chocolate zabaglione (zabaione, sabayon, Za'ab Ayon al'Chocolate). Basic recipe: whip three egg-yolks in a bain-marie (just warming up) with a bit of tasty sugar until very fluffy, let it heat up properly, mix in a small amount of really dark chocolate, whisk in a nice sweet wine (usually a marsala wine; I have had a bit of leftover moscatel dessert wine lying in the fridge for a while so I used that). Serve warm!

I love eggs and I  esp. love custard.

Tomorrow, we'll have some leftover soup that I'll change a little, and for dessert I'll try my hand at cooking secreto iberico de bellota. There's just no easy way to say that. It's a part called "secreto" and the animal is a spanish breed of pig called iberico and this one was allowed to wander around gorging itself on acorns. It tastes delicious in restaurants, we'll see if I can do right by it :o

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1998 on: 05 Jul 2014, 14:04 »

I had a bit of an ice cream binge today, but healthily! I had frozen half a dozen bananas and we defrosted them a bit, blitzed them in a blender and then mixed them with either strawberries or dark chocolate spread to make delicious fruity ice cream and milkshakes. I can get a bag of 12 bananas for £1 and you only need a tiny bit of chocolate spread or a couple of strawberries to flavour it, so it's a much cheaper treat as well as being healthier.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #1999 on: 07 Jul 2014, 02:30 »

This sounds really good! I need to try it.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 47   Go Up