Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 27 Apr 2017, 00:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 139665 times)

Lines

• Awakened
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #2150 on: 12 Aug 2016, 15:22 »

LTK, I will use frozen spinach for saag paneer only because you are supposed to squeeze as much liquid out of the spinach as possible and it's a whole hell of a lot easier to do with frozen than fresh. But I honestly hate the taste of spinach, so both kinds taste equally bad to me. My husband (who is the one that devours saag paneer) doesn't really care either way in regards to fresh or frozen, he just really likes spinach. So neither of us really seem to notice much of a difference, even though we have very different tastes.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

hedgie

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Can't be buggered at all
« Reply #2151 on: 14 Oct 2016, 23:36 »

Well, no food pr0n, but between the local Asian market and farmer's market, made a nice stir fry.  I used pork for hotpot (nice and thinly sliced, although any protein source would work), 3 baby bok choi, 2 small white onions, 3 small green bell peppers, a couple handfuls of bean sprouts, 3 cloves of garlic, several sliced Thai chillis (these weren't all that hot), fresh ginger, five spice, fish sauce (1 tsp), 1 persimmon (all I had, I should have used two), and a couple tbsp of oyster sauce. 

The pork was thin enough that I just threw everything in there at once, so the veggies would remain crispy when it all cooked.  Should have used a bit more ginger and five spice, but it still turned out pretty good.
A person who may charitably described as 'not entirely a waste of resources, but mostly so.'"  -- Momo

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2152 on: 02 Nov 2016, 10:39 »

This year I've been doing two things on my gas grill.
Making Pizza
and
Deep Frying.

The pros of this are 1) you don't have a 600 F oven heating up your house in the summer. and 2) deep frying in the house is hella messy. It's like if they had a flavored spray oil called "burnt" and you just covered everything in your kitchen and adjacent rooms with it. Outside with a big lodge cast iron skillet, it's great.
8tracks.com/doombilly
last.fm/user/doombilly

Welu

• Tag Team Champions
  • Global Moderator
  • Methuselah's mentor
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2153 on: 13 Mar 2017, 13:38 »

Cooked steaks for myself and Partner for the first time and I'm pretty chuffed. The steak was high quality which helped a lot but other than only owning a tiny pan making it a little awkward, cooking it was a lot easier than I expected.

Welu

• Tag Team Champions
  • Global Moderator
  • Methuselah's mentor
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2154 on: 19 Apr 2017, 11:55 »

Think I've found my new favourite recipe. Super simple, garlic and lemon chicken. Getting a slow cooker was a great move.

TheEvilDog

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Ask the person above me about the treasure.
« Reply #2155 on: 20 Apr 2017, 21:26 »

Saturday, didn't want to go out and I didn't want to order any take-out.

I ended up looking around for what I had and ended up making a pizza with a pesto base, topped with mozzarella, cheddar, bacon and shredded duck breast.

And you know what? It was pretty damned tasty!

Also bought a cast iron griddle pan and I'm loving the way it's cooking steaks now, like much better than in a normal pan.
Whenever someone says "I'm not book smart but I am street smart.", all I hear is "I'm not real smart, but I am imaginary smart."
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]   Go Up