Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 20 Aug 2017, 00:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 149299 times)

Lines

• Awakened
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #2150 on: 12 Aug 2016, 15:22 »

LTK, I will use frozen spinach for saag paneer only because you are supposed to squeeze as much liquid out of the spinach as possible and it's a whole hell of a lot easier to do with frozen than fresh. But I honestly hate the taste of spinach, so both kinds taste equally bad to me. My husband (who is the one that devours saag paneer) doesn't really care either way in regards to fresh or frozen, he just really likes spinach. So neither of us really seem to notice much of a difference, even though we have very different tastes.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

hedgie

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Can't be buggered at all
« Reply #2151 on: 14 Oct 2016, 23:36 »

Well, no food pr0n, but between the local Asian market and farmer's market, made a nice stir fry.  I used pork for hotpot (nice and thinly sliced, although any protein source would work), 3 baby bok choi, 2 small white onions, 3 small green bell peppers, a couple handfuls of bean sprouts, 3 cloves of garlic, several sliced Thai chillis (these weren't all that hot), fresh ginger, five spice, fish sauce (1 tsp), 1 persimmon (all I had, I should have used two), and a couple tbsp of oyster sauce. 

The pork was thin enough that I just threw everything in there at once, so the veggies would remain crispy when it all cooked.  Should have used a bit more ginger and five spice, but it still turned out pretty good.
A person who may charitably described as 'not entirely a waste of resources, but mostly so.'"  -- Momo

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2152 on: 02 Nov 2016, 10:39 »

This year I've been doing two things on my gas grill.
Making Pizza
and
Deep Frying.

The pros of this are 1) you don't have a 600º F oven heating up your house in the summer. and 2) deep frying in the house is hella messy. It's like if they had a flavored spray oil called "burnt" and you just covered everything in your kitchen and adjacent rooms with it. Outside with a big lodge cast iron skillet, it's great.
8tracks.com/doombilly
last.fm/user/doombilly

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • Methuselah's mentor
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2153 on: 13 Mar 2017, 13:38 »

Cooked steaks for myself and Partner for the first time and I'm pretty chuffed. The steak was high quality which helped a lot but other than only owning a tiny pan making it a little awkward, cooking it was a lot easier than I expected.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • Methuselah's mentor
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2154 on: 19 Apr 2017, 11:55 »

Think I've found my new favourite recipe. Super simple, garlic and lemon chicken. Getting a slow cooker was a great move.

TheEvilDog

• Captain Sarcastic
« Reply #2155 on: 20 Apr 2017, 21:26 »

Saturday, didn't want to go out and I didn't want to order any take-out.

I ended up looking around for what I had and ended up making a pizza with a pesto base, topped with mozzarella, cheddar, bacon and shredded duck breast.

And you know what? It was pretty damned tasty!

Also bought a cast iron griddle pan and I'm loving the way it's cooking steaks now, like much better than in a normal pan.
Whenever someone says "I'm not book smart but I am street smart.", all I hear is "I'm not real smart, but I am imaginary smart."

cesium133

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2156 on: 27 Apr 2017, 22:13 »

I tried making Bolo de Rolo (a Brazilian style of roll cake) again. It was a disaster, but it was less of a disaster than the last time I tried making it, so I think that's progress.
The nerdy comic I update on Saturdays: Cesium Comics

Ignominious

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #2157 on: 15 May 2017, 12:38 »

I'm making rhubarb and red onion chutney and the house smells amazing. This may be the greatest thing I've ever made.

Aimless

• Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #2158 on: 03 Aug 2017, 09:42 »

We've continued our experiments with chicken and duck and have determined the following when it comes to either bird:

- letting the skin dry properly, for over a day, is crucial to getting the crispiest skin. Baking powder helps.

- properly loosen the skin from the meat. Easiest to just use your fingers. Gloves are useful.

- cook vertically in a convection oven for the best skin (lets fat drip out properly) or spatchcocked placed over vegetables of your choice for greatest speed and convenience.

- salt properly

- injecting flavored brine into the meat is often worth it.

- apply a dry rub under the skin

As for fish, I have decided that almost all fish dishes, whether raw or cooked, taste better with a little brining/curing.

We eat a lot more vegetarian dishes than we used to. Observations forthcoming.

We've also realized that wheat starch is optional (sort of) when making dumplings. Potato starch and tapioca starch will give you a decent dough. These first ones didn't come out as translucent as the rest of the batch but by the time those were ready I was too hungry to take photos.

« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2017, 10:11 by Aimless »
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Metope

« Reply #2159 on: 08 Aug 2017, 20:50 »

Today I brought home made pizza for lunch at work, and everyone were amazed? Especially by the home made dough??? Several people asked me why I didn't just buy a pre-made dough from the store, and I'm like... why would I waste extra time and money at the store when I have all ingredients at home at any time?

I guess i'm generalizing, but this would never happen in Europe. Is this an American thing? Making basic things from scratch is so simple, and nobody here seems to do it. Why not?
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

LTK

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2160 on: 09 Aug 2017, 03:57 »

Maybe they don't know how or lack the confidence to try following a recipe. I cook a lot but anything involving dough usually gives me pause, I feel like there are a lot of ways you can do it wrong.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Ignominious

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #2161 on: 12 Aug 2017, 11:58 »

Blank pizza bases are a thing in UK shops so I can say with a fair degree of certainty that it would happen here.

I think part of it is that pizza is mainly concieved of as a fast food so the idea of making it from scratch is a bit outside of people's cooking imagination.

I just made walnut and rocket pesto. Its awesome and incredibly easy.

Aimless

« Reply #2162 on: 16 Aug 2017, 16:10 »

Cauliflower rice: I thought it was just a gimmicky bullshit fad but goddamn is it ever so tasty and also fun to make. Remove the stems from the florets and use the largest grater attachment on your food processor, it takes approximately 1 min to make enough for 2 people. Lightly stir-fry or steam with onions and mushrooms for added flavor.

Eggs: steamer basket in a small saucepan with a small amount of boiling water, 7 minutes and then cooled as fast as possible (we just run cold water over it for a while). Perfectly set whites that aren't rubbery, perfect yolks that are just a tiny bit runny in the center, super easy to peel (tap each end hard and then the shell practically slides off on its own).

Fish: also surprisingly easy and tasty to steam. Salt, like, a LOT, let rest for up to 3 mins depending on your preferred consistency, wash off thoroughly, place in a steamer basket on top of mushrooms, onions or vegetables of your choice, maybe add a little soy sauce and then steam (lid on) for a few minutes (like 4 mins maximum). Serve with aforementioned cauliflower rice or green beans sautéed in canola and/or sesame-seed oil over high heat until they begin to brown a little bit (I don't even like green beans but they taste delicious cooked this way, even if they're frozen). If the fish is already prepped this takes 5-10 mins of active work, if not it takes a few minutes more in addition to the time it takes to cure the fish.

If you have a whole boneless side of fish eg. salmon, and you don't wanna bother with cutting it into portions, cure it, rinse thoroughly, place it skin-side up on a lightly oiled oven-proof tray (maybe with a few sprigs of rosemary underneath if you have it) and then chuck it into the oven. Turn on broiler and set it to max, keep an eye on the fish and when the skin begins to char a little (10 mins in our old oven), remove it from the oven. The skin comes right off, the fish is still juicy and you can serve it with the green beans you just sauteed while the fish cooked.

Our weeknight meals have become both much less complicated and time-consuming as well as much more satisfying. Two people can make varied, flavorful and healthy meals with less than 15 mins of active work and not too much mess.

tl;dr: cauliflower rice = good, steaming = good, curing/dry-brining fish = good.

Aimless

« Reply #2163 on: 16 Aug 2017, 16:16 »

Today I brought home made pizza for lunch at work, and everyone were amazed? Especially by the home made dough??? Several people asked me why I didn't just buy a pre-made dough from the store, and I'm like... why would I waste extra time and money at the store when I have all ingredients at home at any time?

I guess i'm generalizing, but this would never happen in Europe. Is this an American thing? Making basic things from scratch is so simple, and nobody here seems to do it. Why not?

I have wondered about this myself. I don't quite get the meal kit craze that's sweeping across the US but it seems to be related to these views. On the other hand, you also get the other extreme, with people making almost everything from scratch and taking a great deal of time making their food to perfection.

As for dough, I have very little confidence in my dough-making abilities whereas my wife always makes perfect doughs no matter what it is. The one dough I've had success with are the variations on no-knead doughs that you can keep in the fridge for days and just use a little every day to make rolls or pizza in 30 mins (not quite as good for pizza but still good).
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]   Go Up