THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 457538 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #2250 on: 08 Jul 2018, 01:43 »

I want those gloves. They look pretty handy.

Ha ha. erm

P.S. He's right about milk chocolate.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #2251 on: 16 Jul 2018, 13:22 »

Good thing about summer is that we can cook a lot more after work, and especially grill a lot more. These past couple of weeks have been great for cooking and I've gotten to try out a bunch of ideas I've been thinking off for ages.

(Sorry about the massive photos)

Grilled goat & chicken served with baba ghanoush, muhammara, hummus, toum, sautéed pointy cabbage and flatbread. Toum is fun to make and very tasty; it turned out incredibly fluffy but I need to reduce the amount of garlic a little. The flatbread (based on a recipe for saj bread I got from a friend's mum) was a little wonky because I got distracted and let it rise for too long. I also don't have a sufficiently large griddle for making it properly. This is the first time I've grilled goat--other than eating whole-roasted goat once as a child, I've only had it in curries. Prepped sous vide it turned out to be tender, juicy and very flavourful. It's not easy to find goat meat in Swedish stores, but I've finally found a store out in the multicultural ghetto that carries it. The chicken was AWESOME. Grilled half of the marinated thighs and turned the other half into korma. Need to make the muhammara a little more fiery. I also ended up having to make pomegranate molasses for it and now have way, way too much of this delicious ingredient (good for glazing and for sauces). I prefer a roasted paprika & feta sauce for grilled meats, but this was great with bread.

You can make muhammara, hummus and toum very quickly, and, if you have grilled or roasted aubergines, baba ghanoush can also be made very quickly. I used the toum to flavour the other three. If you marinade the chicken overnight, two people can throw together this dinner in less than an hour.

Noodles with spinach- & coriander sauce, confit egg-yolk & shaved tamari-cured egg yolk.

This works better with real ramen noodles instead of these generic egg-noodles b/c the sauce coats the former much better so the noodles take on a vibrant green colour.

Burnt sugar & toasted cream ice-cream w/ almond praline, caramelized apples & chewy meringues.

This worked out very well although I would've preferred almond tuiles and I think it would've been better with a nice sponge soaked in something nice and also some freeze-dried raspberries.

Leftover grilled veal loin with pickled red onion and a massive scromelet.

The inside of the scromelet was similar to the legendary Kichi Kichi omurice omelet and is my new fave breakfast :) I didn't get a good shot of what it looked like when I cut it in half and all the creamy delicious goodness poured out. Needs some demi-glace.

Grilled sous vide beef cheeks with salt-baked swede:

This is one of the best grilled meats I've ever had and def my favorite way to cook beef cheeks. More traditional methods will get you that intense, beefy flavour and the gelatinous goodness, but this method will give you the same qualities in a cut that's basically like a steak.

The salt-dough crust is a new technique for me and I think I'll use it often because the results are very, very good. The kitchen was filled with an amazing scent from the swede and the celeriac I made at the same time, combined with the scent of rosemary. It was however a pain in the ass to crack open the shell--much more difficult than cracking open a coconut. This was partly because when I tried to wrap it thoroughly some of the parts overlapped and the crust became very thick and ridiculously hard at those points.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2252 on: 16 Jul 2018, 19:01 »

Impressive spread and equally impressive photography. Thank you, among other things, for giving me more motivation to get an immersion circulator.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Aimless

« Reply #2253 on: 17 Jul 2018, 01:00 »

You probably won't regret getting one. We've used ours at least a couple of times a week for over three years. Not only does it open up whole new ways to prepare food but it is also immensely practical if you want to prep a lot of food at once.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #2254 on: 17 Jul 2018, 08:03 »

Those photos and meals look amazing.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2255 on: 20 Jul 2018, 11:56 »

Gordon Ramsay Demonstrates Key Cooking Skills

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2256 on: 20 Jul 2018, 12:34 »

The other day me and my partners had a barbecue and I decided to go all-veggie on it. I've been eating more vegetables lately so I just put some stuff on a skewer like my parents always have and it was like, the best possible form of all of those vegetables. It was fucking delicious. And halloumi is the fucking bomb.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Aimless

« Reply #2257 on: 31 Jul 2018, 06:35 »

Pointy cabbage, mushrooms & cauliflower rice sautéed in ghee. Just a little salt. Served with breaded fried cod and pickled green chili. This takes less than ten minutes to make, but the fish obv. takes a little longer.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2258 on: 24 Oct 2018, 14:48 »

I made curry with Ras el Hanout recently, and I also found a hummus variant made with it. I was like "Ooh this is so good, what's in this?" The answer invariably comes back.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #2259 on: 24 Oct 2018, 16:09 »

I discovered the other day that a bit of yogurt in the batter makes a cake recipe that often comes out dry, very moist and nice. 

I think I used about a quarter or a third of a cup of yogurt, in one bundt cake pan.  Next time I do it, I'll probably measure. 

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2260 on: 24 Oct 2018, 22:35 »

You probably won't regret getting one. We've used ours at least a couple of times a week for over three years. Not only does it open up whole new ways to prepare food but it is also immensely practical if you want to prep a lot of food at once.

I forgot to mention! We have one now. I love its results and its timing flexibility.

I came here to mention that I made cultured butter. Easy and surprisingly fun.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2261 on: 25 Oct 2018, 06:20 »

I'm picturing a pack of butter with a top hat and a monocle.

Elaborate?
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2262 on: 25 Oct 2018, 19:47 »

:laugh:

Butter containing live bacterial culture. Like the stuff you find in yoghurt.

I put some kefir in the cream and let it sit for a few days under cheesecloth to develop and thicken before turning into butter.

Aimless

« Reply #2263 on: 04 Nov 2018, 05:00 »

Confit rose fish w/ salt-baked beetroot, lotus-root purée, steamed pickled aubergine, Bengali Malabar spinach, goat cheese cream and carrot top pesto. Autumn ain't all bad :)

Celeriac, rutabaga & beetroot are delicious when baked slowly in a thick salt-dough crust. Confiting fish at low temps has been a revelation. The eggplant both looks and tastes better if it's peeled before pickling (flavoured with chili and ginger). The carrot-top pesto made w/ toasted hazelnuts packs a lot of flavor, but the consistency suffered from my sloppiness. The lotus-root purée didn't get properly puréed, but worked well wrt flavor. The Malabar spinach grows like a frickin' weed and has covered half a wall, def. our best crop this year.

Steamed buns with spicy fried chicken, avocado, cucumber tsukemono & pickled red onion, sriracha made from this year's chili harvest.

The buns are super easy to make (as are the sriracha & pickles), and leftover dough can be turned into a loaf of bread. Reheat leftover buns in a microwave (1 min tops) in a ziploc bag, with a few sprinkles of water—they'll be almost as good as new. Fried chicken isn't the best for this; use something fatter, juicier and more gelatinous (eg. pork-belly, duck etc). Thickness increases by a third or more during steaming, and it's better to overcook than undercook.

I forgot to mention! We have one now. I love its results and its timing flexibility.

Yay! :D there's a ton of youtube channels exploring different applications, if you ever run out of inspiration :) cooking marinated beef cheek at this very moment.

I came here to mention that I made cultured butter. Easy and surprisingly fun.

... I once spent a lot of time trying to figure out what this was, because it sounded so exotic and delicious, and it turns out it's basically what I have always just known as "butter". Simple and fun, and also the only way I can get my hands on real buttermilk here in Swedistan.

In other news, the ginger has continued to explore the world of lacto-fermentation. Tons of ideas out there on the internet (apart from blogs there's a great series on YouTube called "It's alive!"). We're making more sriracha, some paprika sauce, and some beetroot & horseradish relish. Most of these are less of a hassle than making kimchi, but I expect we'll make some more of that soon.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2264 on: 04 Nov 2018, 05:35 »

This isn't about cooking per se, but the local supermarket has started to stock young coconuts imported from Thailand, and it's been a revelation. Before this, the only kind of coconut I knew was sold stripped down to the shell, needed an axe to crack open, and was filled with an inch-thick layer of tough, hard, but tasty coconut, and maybe a spoonful or two of juice. But these other ones are sold with some of the husk still attached, can be cracked open with a sharp knife, are filled to the brim with delicious, sweet juice, and are coated inside by a thin layer of juicy, soft flesh that can be scooped out with a spoon and has the consistency of pudding. The difference is like night and day. It's a bit of work getting them open still, but the reward is basically a complete, filling dessert in a cup. How has this been hidden from me for so long?

Aimless

« Reply #2265 on: 04 Nov 2018, 08:36 »

Not often exported to western countries, both b/c of low demand and b/c of hassle w/ transportation. One of the things I missed the most when we first moved to Europe. Sooo nice on a hot day 👍

Aimless

« Reply #2266 on: 03 Jun 2019, 09:29 »

Being home alone is boring so I've been consoling myself with food that has been on the banned list these past few months :o

Sriracha-cured salmon on a bed of steamed fennel & seaweed noodles, garnished with fennel birista. Ginger & lemon dressing, avocado salsa. The fennel looks dodgy but it is the BOMB. I reckon I could become a pescatarian.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2267 on: 03 Jun 2019, 10:07 »

When I actually bother cooking, I'm moving closer and closer to vegetarian or pescatarian, but for a while now, I've had so little energy for anything beyond making myself a sandwich and maybe heating some tinned soup, so I don't do any real cooking unless there's something big and important.  Unfortunately, convenience foods tend to have insufficient nutritional value unless there is some dead critter in there. 

And, I could never go vegan.  The veggie burgers I like the most really need a good blue cheese on top.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Aimless

« Reply #2268 on: 12 Jul 2019, 14:39 »

Portuguese almond cake (toucinho do céu) with yogurt, agave and walnuts, courtesy of my dear missus

This stuff is not quite crack but definitely crack-adjacent

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2269 on: 14 Jul 2019, 18:51 »

Last weekend I made smores in the oven for my 16mo daughter. She loved it. I think it was the first time my in-laws had it too.

Basically I set the oven to broil, I put wax paper on a cookie sheet and put down the bottom graham cracker, the chocolate and topped it off with a single mashmellow. I broiled it for about 20-30 second. Took it out and then smushed each one with a top graham cracker. It was really good but very messy. I think next time I am going to just do a graham cracker and a marshmallow and add the chocolate and top cracker after its removed from the oven.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Aimless

« Reply #2270 on: 04 Aug 2019, 14:04 »

Almond cake with strawberries and caramelized white chocolate crumble

Still have to tweak the cake; it's nowhere near as light and moist as it is when I bake a full batch in a proper cake pan. Nevertheless, the flavours are great and that caramelized white chocolate crumble should be a controlled substance (it's very easy to make and absolutely worth the effort). The frosting is strained yogurt whipped together with vanilla and some toasted buttermilk.

Secret Ingredient Chicken Soup

A spicy twist on my mother's renown chicken soup, the recipe for which is so secret that it was shared with us—and only us—just recently. Home-grown greens—pak choi, pickled cucumber, coriander, chives—with added layers of flavor from a little yuzukoshō and some chili & garlic oil. This is what I always see before me whenever I find myself in possession of good homemade chicken stock—or, as was the case here, guineafowl stock.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2271 on: 25 Jul 2020, 21:29 »

Made lobster tail for dinner with corn on the cob, mashed potatoes and a delicious Red Lobster® biscuit.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #2272 on: 27 Jul 2020, 02:17 »

Made some Beer Cheese Soup tonight, with pork sausage meatballs. Was damn Good.

Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2273 on: 27 Jul 2020, 02:36 »

That's actually been on my list of things to try out for a while now.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #2274 on: 27 Jul 2020, 02:52 »

Definitely worth it.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2275 on: 27 Jul 2020, 04:41 »

I got given a load of chard at the weekend, and while wondering what to do with it (not having any meals that it would suit as a simple vegetable planned) I came across a soup recipe.

Essentially it was leek and potato soup (I had a couple of ageing leeks which needed using up) with a lot of shredded chard thrown in, and plenty of garlic (four cloves I used).  I wouldn't go out of my way for the result - it was, to say the least, "rustic" (read "earthy") in taste.  However, the garlic suggested by the recipe I'd found definitely rescued it; the taste was still rustic, but the garlic made it civilised as well, somehow.

I'd cooked the stalks separately, as they were nice and fresh and crisp, and then blended them to use as part of the stock - this was my own idea (the recipe simply said to remove them), and probably added to the rustic effect - so if I ever do it again I'll omit that step.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #2276 on: 27 Jul 2020, 05:20 »

I've never worked with chard but other leafy Veg like it I have worked with do seem to benefit from the stalks being used differently than the leaf, as they seem to soak up alot more of the minerals and earth flavor.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #2277 on: 16 Aug 2020, 07:11 »

Hearty Nachos

• ½lb ground beef (any leanness)
  • 1 block of velveeta
  • ½ to 1½ cup milk (almond milk also works)
  • 2 to 4 jalapeños
  • 1 to 2 habaneros (optional)
  • ½ a bell pepper (any color)
  • 1 pinch ground cumin
  • 2 cloves of garlic (pressed)
  • ¼ of an onion (any color)
  • 2 to 4 slices of muenster or havarti
  • 1 can of beans (black beans, red kidney beans, or refried beans work best)
You'll need a crock pot for this. Start by lightly greasing the sides with olive oil or vegetable oil. Then, drop the cheeses in and add the milk. Set the crock pot to 'high'. Cutting the block of velveeta will cause it to melt faster. the milk. Destem and deseed the jalapeños and habaneros, then coin or dice them and toss them in the crockpot.  Stir occassionally to prevent burning.

While the cheese is melting, dice the onion and slice the bell pepper into squares. While browning the meat, season it with the ground cumin. Use a garlic press or the back of a spoon to press the garlic and add it to the meat. When the meat looks half done, add the bell peppers, onions and beans to it and continue browning it until medium well or well done.

Drain off the grease from the meat, then add the contents of the frying pan to the crockpot. You can turn the crockpot down to ''low' if the cheese is starting to burn. Either way, let it continue to simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occassionally. Once done, turn the heat down to 'low' (if you haven't already) and serve.

Serve with chips of your choice and enjoy ^-^

Fair warning, some of the cheese will burn slightly to the sides and will be a pain to get off. Greasing the sides can minimize this but may make the dish a greasy. Let the crock pot 's ceramic portion soak in water for a bit after it's cooled down to room temperature.

EDIT: *derp* Just realized I had typed ''medium-high, 'medium', and 'medium-low' as if this were for stove top when copying this over to Discord. Fixed it.
EDIT2: Wow. I didn't proof read this when I initially posted it at all.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2021, 09:12 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2278 on: 21 Aug 2020, 11:17 »

I seem to vaguely remember there being a gardening thread, but I can't find it. In any event, I think this fits here as well, so...

I've been growing a garden on my apartment's balcony, and finally got around to harvesting the jalapeños. This is just from one plant. The other I harvested a couple weeks ago and I've already eaten those peppers. I've also got a lot of tomatoes from a couple tomato plants I've been growing as well.

The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2279 on: 21 Aug 2020, 13:55 »

Great work! I've just recently been discovering the pleasures of using fresh chilli peppers in my cooking instead of ground spices - the difference is astonishing(ly tasty).

Also, my partner has spent the last few months landscaping our garden and we now have an allotment on our land - they've not been able to harvest much yet except a whole shitload of rhubarb.

Gyrre

« Reply #2280 on: 22 Aug 2020, 16:35 »

Great work! I've just recently been discovering the pleasures of using fresh chilli peppers in my cooking instead of ground spices - the difference is astonishing(ly tasty).

Also, my partner has spent the last few months landscaping our garden and we now have an allotment on our land - they've not been able to harvest much yet except a whole shitload of rhubarb.
Rhubarb pie and rhubard preserves aee great.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2281 on: 23 Aug 2020, 03:26 »

Rhubarb wine works as well. Just need a little something to bring the acidity down for fermenting. With a Sauterne yeast, I ended up with something like a dry sherry.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2282 on: 23 Aug 2020, 04:41 »

Rhubarb fool is easy to make and is one of the world's glories.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2283 on: 23 Aug 2020, 12:33 »

They have made several rhubarb crumbles with it - also some rhubarb goo/spread/mush :psyduck: they've been spreading it on everything.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2284 on: 23 Aug 2020, 15:50 »

We regularly use our rhubarb to make crumble, jam, compote (good for adding to plain yogurt - much better than rhubarb-flavoured yogurts), and what we call rhubarb cake - rhubarb under and a spongy topping, can be sliced like a cake or served warm with custard.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Aimless

« Reply #2285 on: 21 Sep 2020, 08:26 »

Rhubarb = rhubarb syrup = rhubarb daisy *sighs*

I've had some time to cook this past month, after a long (and unhealthy) hiatus.

Autumn dinner: elk loin with chantrelles aux fines herbes and smoky balsamico-marinated cherry tomatoes. Practically everything on this plate was hunted, foraged, grown or baked within ~50km from here:

The best apple pie we've ever made, thanks to two legit secret ingredients:

A wonderful bilberry (wild European blueberry) crumble:

Hopefully, if I get some time off from work & research next year, I'll be able to make and sell pies, cakes and cookies from our apartment :o there are tons (literally) of apples in our part of town that go to waste because their owners don't do anything with them, so I've been daydreaming of setting up some sort of operation where local kids in need of a summer job can go around harvesting and prepping apples for my little Facebook café. People who have way more apples than they can or want to deal with get money and cleaner gardens, kids get money and reasonable work experience, and I get the satisfaction of doing something I've dreamed of trying for years now.

Gyrre

« Reply #2286 on: 08 Nov 2020, 04:54 »

I had the strange notion of 'honey-fried habaneros' the other day.
Anybody have any suggestions for how to go about creating sucha dish?

My first thoughts were to make an incision in the habaneros big enough to squirt the honey in, then to toss them in a frying pan with some fresh pressed garlic. But that feels like I'm missing something after decapping them.

EDIT: stuffing cherries in the habaneros
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2020, 07:50 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #2287 on: 14 Dec 2020, 03:33 »

(click to show/hide)

So I decided to substitute flour for pancake mix since I was out, and this apple pie came out pretty damn good.
I'll have to try it with blueberry pancake mix next.

EDIT: That pic is bigger than I thought it'd be.

EDIT 2: IT'S SO GOOD WI5H THE BLUEBERRY PANCAKE MIX!!!
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2021, 08:53 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Morituri

« Reply #2288 on: 05 Mar 2021, 15:17 »

Just a note, for those who'd like to try it.  It's hardly a "recipe" but... 

cinnamon sprinkled on ice cream is very good.

Gyrre

« Reply #2290 on: 02 Apr 2021, 19:13 »

I found a really cheaty way to make spinach puffs recently.

I used two tubes of premade croissant roll dough, baby spinach, and Greek yogurt. Unfurl, separate, and lay flat the dough triangles. Spread some Greek yogurt on each, leaving the long end empty. Place 3 to 4 leaves on the yogurt. Then, roll them by bringing up with the shortest edge and tucking the corners around the sides of the leaves and pinching the dough together. Then finish by wrapping the long end around.

Baking them is just follow the directions on the tube.

EDIT: applied recommended formatting changes and removed spoiler tags.

BTW, these are amazing with fruit-at-the-bottom blueberry Greek yogurt. They also work well with mango Greek yogurt. Shredding the spinach leaves and mixing them with the yogurt makes these healthier.
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2021, 23:55 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2291 on: 03 Apr 2021, 03:54 »

Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Gyrre

« Reply #2292 on: 03 Apr 2021, 07:30 »

Ja..... I should have seen that coming.

Anyways, I resized the pictures myself. This time I used blueberry Greek yogurt and shredded the spinach leaves so there wasn't so much air.
Also, an additional picture showing how much of the filling I dollopped into each before rolling them.

EDIT: Oh fer crapsake! I resized them again. Hopefully they're as mobile friendly as the pictures further up the page now.
« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2021, 08:03 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2293 on: 03 Apr 2021, 13:47 »

If it helps any, to resize an image you add
Code: [Select]
width=number as part of the img tag.

So for yours you might want something like
Code: [Select]
[img width=300]https://64.media.tumblr.com/3ebc1e51ff17ea1361658d885bc9b78f/cf5595b8d9ae8c40-b2/s1280x1920/788ac8d9c30a0595ce6b046cebc8c1151190f315.jpg[/img]which results in
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2294 on: 03 Apr 2021, 17:45 »

I have questions.

Croissant roll?

I googled it, and google suggested "crescent roll", is that what it is? And what is that?

And what sort of pastry is it, actually? Is it puff pastry-ish?

Also, tube? Huh.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #2295 on: 03 Apr 2021, 20:16 »

You've never had 'croissants from a tube'? They're a well-known sight in Holland.

https://www.dutchexpatshop.com/en/brands/danerolles/

Basically, you open up the tube, unroll the pastry, cut the pastry into triangles, and then roll the triangles into a croissant shape. Then bake in the oven and voila!
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2296 on: 04 Apr 2021, 01:11 »

Nope! That is the first I've heard of them.

Whenever I've bought premade pastry, it's been the frozen sheet variety.

I have a feeling that the image in my head is inaccurate, because you said that you "unroll the pastry", whereas when I first saw "in a tube" I pictured something you squeeze out. Got a picture?

Edit: I just googled. Ohhhh. That makes more sense. Nope, never bought tubes like that, only flat sheets.

Gyrre

« Reply #2297 on: 07 Apr 2021, 21:20 »

Nope! That is the first I've heard of them.

Whenever I've bought premade pastry, it's been the frozen sheet variety.

I have a feeling that the image in my head is inaccurate, because you said that you "unroll the pastry", whereas when I first saw "in a tube" I pictured something you squeeze out. Got a picture?

Edit: I just googled. Ohhhh. That makes more sense. Nope, never bought tubes like that, only flat sheets.
'Croissant' and 'cresent' get used interchangeably in some parts of the USA.

They're fluffy and can be served with any meal which makes premade dough pretty dang useful for all manner of things.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #2298 on: 14 May 2021, 03:22 »

Okay, this one will probably get much more mixed results or a bunch of flat 'no's. I used some hummus in place of marinara on a pair of naan bread pizzas I put together the other day.

I used roasted garlic hummus, but roasted red pepper would have probably been better. I added orange bell peppers to the second one and that turned out to be what was missing It also helped tone down the garlic a bit.

I took two photos of the same one since this was the more photogenic of the two.

a real-ass gaddam sword

Morituri

« Reply #2299 on: 10 Jul 2021, 16:51 »

Plantains are an ingredient in a half-decent banana bread.  A bit less sweet than most banana breads, but this is regarded as a feature at least as often as it's regarded as a bug.

2 bananas
2 plantains
4 eggs
1/4 cup / 60ml honey
1/4 cup / 60ml vegetable oil
1 tsp / 5ml baking soda
1 tbsp / 15ml cinnamon
2 tsp / 10ml nutmeg
1 tsp / 5ml vanilla extract
1/2 tsp / 3ml salt
1/4 cup / 60ml chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350f / 175c

Toss all the ingredients except nuts into a blender and mix.

Rub the bottom and sides of a pan (about the same size as a sheet of typing paper) with butter and then sprinkle on as much flour as you can get to stick to it.

Pour the batter into the pan.  Sprinkle the nuts on top.

Put the pan in the oven and leave it there for 30-35 minutes.

Enjoy!

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47   Go Up