THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 457720 times)

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #200 on: 30 Oct 2008, 12:38 »

Ladybug marry me now, those look amazing and I have no head for baking.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #201 on: 30 Oct 2008, 17:32 »

Sure! As long as you do all the other cooking.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #202 on: 05 Nov 2008, 11:44 »

I should have taken a photo of the pie I made but it was so fabulous that I didn't.

Here's the recipe:

Walnut-Bourbon Pie with Honey Whipped Cream

Crust: I suppose you can make one, but I buy mine in the frozen food aisle and let it thaw for about 20 minutes before baking. I used a 9-inch pie shell.

Preheat oven to 375F.

Nuts:
Toast 2 cups walnut halves and pieces for 8-10 minutes in the preheating oven. Let them cool to room temperature in a large bowl or plate, then put them in the pie shell.

Filling:
In a mixing bowl, blend together 4 eggs and 3/4 cups brown sugar. When smooth, add 3/4 cup corn syrup, 4 Tbsp melted butter, 2 Tbsp bourbon (I used Knob Creek), 2 tsp vanilla and a pinch of salt.

Pour mixture gently over the nuts, which should float to the top. If any of the nuts look dry, poke them down with a clean finger; they need to be coated with sugary liquid.

Place pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips and bake for 30-40 minutes. The filling will puff up and smell delicious. The crust should get brown but not smell scorched.

Topping:
Beat together 1 pint heavy whipping cream with 1/4 cup honey until the cream gets fluffy. Don't beat it too long or you'll have honey-flavored butter.

Spread whipped cream over pie no more than 2 hours before serving. Keep it refrigerated if you're not eating it right away. Eat leftover whipped cream on waffles for breakfast the next day (there will be too much to reasonably serve on the pie).
Ho, ho, ho!

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #203 on: 05 Nov 2008, 20:18 »

you say be careful not to create honey flavored butter, I say make that a dangerously close distinction.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #204 on: 05 Nov 2008, 22:30 »

James is very broke, slightly crippled, a little lazy, and all out of food:
  • Spend the day at home because it hurts to walk, consequently making vegetable stock out of the random few vegetables you have left in the house so you don't feel like a waste
  • Try unsucsessfully to get your housemate's xbox 360 working because life is suffering and you want to ignore it
  • Instead, fry in butter and olive oil the last clove of garlic, minced, in some butter before adding a tiny potato, chopped tiny, and then the last two mushrooms, halved then sliced double-thick.
  • Add a cup of rice when the potatoes are softish, mix it around in the oil, then add the correct amount of stock for that much rice plus some because there's potatoes and mushroom in there too.
  • Cook then eat.
  • Feel bad about what little you've accomplished today as you finish assignments at two in the morning.
  • oh god where did it all go wrong
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #205 on: 06 Nov 2008, 00:23 »

I started my new job today. It is all kinds of fun.

I did garde manger and desserts all night, which isn't that much fun, but i got to arrange a bunch of cheese plates and blowtorch some creme brulee, so it was worth it. 

I also got to cook myself dinner. I made swordfish with crawfish butter and sirrochi-marinated tobacco onions over white cheddar and apple bacon grits wth a little grilled asparagus on the side.

It was delicious.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2008, 00:26 by thegreatbuddha »
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #206 on: 06 Nov 2008, 00:28 »

I just cooked myself dinner.
It was plain pasta.
I am poor and lazy.

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #207 on: 09 Nov 2008, 11:26 »

Social Bacon's Best Sloppy Joes!
Fast, easy, cheap and an excuse to drink beer.
-Get a small pan, fill the very bottom of the pan with beer (0.5cm deep is good)
-Get some ground beef, throw that ground beef in your beer filled pan
-Throw that badass stove on high and start cooking your beefy-beer goodness
-Drink the remainder of the bottle of beer while the beefy-beer goodness is cooking
-Once all of the beer in the pan has boiled off your beef should be nicely cooked and the beer should have drawn off the excess fat and grease (if not, drain the fat and grease now)
-Lower the heat on the stove to medium
-Mix in a reasonable amount of tomato sauce (any kind will do, it's all delicious, I used a tomato basil pasta sauce last night) and some brown sugar
-Cook until the consistency thickens nicely and the concoction achieves a nice reddish-brown colour
-Throw this delicious smelling mix onto a bun or bread of any kind
-Devour!

Note: Measuring ingredients is for the weak.
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2008, 12:50 by Social Bacon »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #208 on: 09 Nov 2008, 11:54 »

We are getting the new kitchen that we've been thinking about for several years!  This weekend, and over the next few evenings, I am putting new ceiling lights and speakers in place:

before the builder comes to replaster, tile the floor and then install all the boxes:

So I made a last Quiche Lorraine and Cauliflower Cheese before the dust takes over:

My wife has left me to it while she babysits my grandson in Germany.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

-Karamazov-

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #209 on: 12 Nov 2008, 21:15 »

Anyone got a good BBQ sauce recipe?  I'm looking for a good sauce for ribs.  Preferably tomato based.

abadname

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • double plus good
    • http://www.myspace.com/roseofsharyn7
« Reply #210 on: 12 Nov 2008, 22:43 »

I made some some chicken stock the other day, then used about half of it to make baked potato soup, which was delicious and I plan on making more often.

I am using the other half for gelatin filtration to make a consomme.  I want to see how well it works with natural gelatin then I will move on to leaf gelatin, instant gelatin, agar, and gellan.  Then later i may buy some cargeenan iota and kappa and see how those work.

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #211 on: 13 Nov 2008, 00:35 »

Anyone got a good BBQ sauce recipe?  I'm looking for a good sauce for ribs.  Preferably tomato based.

Off the top of my head..

1qt Ketchup
2Tbsp liquid smoke
2Tbsp Honey
1cp brown sugar
1/2 Tbsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1tsp chipotle powder (or cayenne pepper)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp celery salt
1tsp garlic salt
1tsp onion powder

I don't usually measure when I make it, so you might need to experiment with the measurements a bit.

@abadname: Gelatin filtration for consomme?  Is that something other than the traditional raft method?
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #212 on: 13 Nov 2008, 00:47 »

Paul that quiche looks perfect (and I'm a big sucker for cauliflower cheese). Come cook for me while your kitchen's out.

abadname

• double plus good
« Reply #213 on: 13 Nov 2008, 01:22 »

Yes it is, you add enough gelatin to where it doesnt completely set but still has the texture then you freeze it.  Thaw in the fridge wrapped in cheeseclothe through a chinoise into a pot/bowl.  It will take a couple days but you are left with a perfectly clear liquid with no flavor loss, it is the clear essence of whatever the consomme is.  Pretty rad stuff, look it up for a probably better explanation.

evernew

• Curry sauce
  • Put a bangin' DONK on it!
« Reply #214 on: 13 Nov 2008, 02:25 »

One of my favorite own creations is the following for balsamico salad dressing:

(1) Dice one apple and one onion. Like, really go to town on them. The resulting pieces should measure 3 mm along each side max.
(2) Put into plastic bowl with lid (Tupperware works great).
(3) Add balsamico vinegar and olive oil. My family likes the dressing packing some punch so I'll use the vinegar liberally. Adjust to taste.
(4) Add pepper and salt, again to taste.
(5) Seal the lid and shake it like whatever you like to shake a lot. Stirring would work but shaking gets it done in about 10 seconds.
(6) Open the container for inspection. The resulting dressing should be viscous, medium to dark brown (depending on the ratio of vinegar vs. oil used) and have little pieces of apple and onion floating around which are getting more saturated with the dressing gradually.
(7) Crack and cut some walnuts. This is optional.

The dressing works with pretty much every green salad, greek salad, chef salad etc.

For extra-special eating delight, serve the dressing separately instead of pouring it over the salad. That way the greens stay fresh and don't soak, you can adjust the salad-to-dressing ratio on the fly and if you have any leftovers, you can just put them back in the fridge and enjoy them freshly instead of, as previously observed, in a soaked state.
The Donk of Canterbury wishes everybody good tidings.

BankHoldUp

• Emoticontraindication
  • Crescent Fresh!
« Reply #215 on: 13 Nov 2008, 10:43 »

Take a green chile, slice it open, fill it with cheddar or jack, dip it in egg batter, fry that fucker golden. Smother it in more green chile sauce. Refried beans and fried potatoes all golden delicious on the side. Eat that.

I made an awesome relleno a little while ago when someone at a farmers market had huge Anaheim chiles for cheap, so I couldn't pass them up.

I broiled the chiles to remove the skin and then stuffed them through the stem-end with a Queso Blanco. (soft, crumbly white cheese). Then I made up a beer batter using a Mexican pilsner and corn flour, adding in chopped fresh cilantro, paprika, salt, garlic and a bit of lime juice.

I battered the now cheese stuffed peppers and tossed them into a frying pan until the batter was crispy and golden brown. Served it up with some white rice with cilantro and lime, and a mixture of black beans and roasted corn.

It came out great but skinning the chiles is a pain in the ass, so I doubt I'll try it again anytime soon.
Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely - Siddhartha Gautama

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #216 on: 13 Nov 2008, 13:49 »

It's a lot easier to cook the chiles over a flame until blackened, and then seal them in an airtight container while hot.  They will steam themselves, and after twenty minutes or so, the skin slides off by running under cold water.

I googled gelatin filtration. It looks like the coolest thing since sliced bread.  I'm going to try this after brunch Sunday. I'm thinking Salmon poached in essence of dill, just to see how well it works with an old classic.

abadname

• double plus good
« Reply #217 on: 13 Nov 2008, 18:49 »

Running it under under cold water kind of washes the flavor off, or that is what I was always taught.

But yeah the gelatin filtration is rad, my mentor chef made "peanut butter and jelly" and the bread was a granola consomme that was gelled and cubed.  It was awesome.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #218 on: 14 Nov 2008, 07:51 »

Yeah, you don't need to rinse them after roasting them and letting them sit in a container OR a plastic bag. After a little while the skin should just rub right off, and you keep that grilled/roasted flavor on em. For some reason I've been itching to try this with pepper jack and beef stuffing for a while now, to try and add a little extra twist to it.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #219 on: 14 Nov 2008, 08:34 »

after experienting for a while i finally figured out a pretty rad pasta sauce recipe so i will maybe put that up later tonight. it uses ground soy instead of ground beef so even the vegetarian folk get to be included.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

BankHoldUp

• Emoticontraindication
  • Crescent Fresh!
« Reply #220 on: 14 Nov 2008, 09:16 »

Yeah, you don't need to rinse them after roasting them and letting them sit in a container OR a plastic bag. After a little while the skin should just rub right off, and you keep that grilled/roasted flavor on em. For some reason I've been itching to try this with pepper jack and beef stuffing for a while now, to try and add a little extra twist to it.

This is what I did, sealed them in a zipper bag and let them sweat for a while before pulling the skins off. The open flame idea sounds neat, I think I give that a try next time.
Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely - Siddhartha Gautama

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #221 on: 14 Nov 2008, 12:47 »

I'm so confused right now, wasn't that posted in the video games forum?

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #222 on: 14 Nov 2008, 13:31 »

Jon is having an aneurysm of some sort.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #223 on: 14 Nov 2008, 14:23 »

Okay, I have my family christmas party coming up soon (we have it early because we are spread out everywhere) and it is about two and a half hour drive from where I live. This year, it's been decided that the parents (so my parents, are bringing the various types of meat), and their children (my generation/my cousins) are to bring some kind of side dishes or something to have with it. Now, everything I can think of that I can actually cook requires it to be eaten hot and it wouldn't transport very well at all. So I was thinking of taking some cakes/cookies/muffins/cupcakes or something.

What do you guys think? Would there be anything that isn't baked goodies that I could easily transport without it getting ruined? If not, what type of baked things would you suggest - I want it so that everyone can eat some of it (which means I want to bring something suitable for 7/8 year old kids to like, grandparentals).
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #224 on: 14 Nov 2008, 14:23 »

Just made boxed scalloped potatoes. The box was bought in 2005. The potatoes turned out surprisingly delicious!
I like the way you work it.

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #225 on: 15 Nov 2008, 01:58 »

What do you guys think? Would there be anything that isn't baked goodies that I could easily transport without it getting ruined? If not, what type of baked things would you suggest - I want it so that everyone can eat some of it (which means I want to bring something suitable for 7/8 year old kids to like, grandparentals).

Chicken Salad maybe?

Cook some chicken breast however you like, mix in sliced grapes, mayo, celery, salt, pepper, sweated onions, a little bit of dijon mustard, and candied pecans. If you have a cooler, take it all with you on ice, and assemble it once you get to where you're going.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #226 on: 19 Nov 2008, 16:23 »

Dear Cooking Thread,

I just washed, halved, and seeded three or four dozen hot peppers. They are now being exposed to low heat in an oven where they will dry over the course of a couple hours. On top of the oven, is a pan with the seeds, which will dry some, then be toasted when the peppers are dry. I am not sure if toasting hot pepper seeds is even a thing, but I am going to try.
Also I have a delicious pot of chicken stock on the boil and I feel very homey.
Also MY GODDAMN HANDS ARE ON FIRE AHHHHH AHHHHH AHHHHH IT HURTS IT HURTS THE PAIN

Cordially,
James

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #227 on: 19 Nov 2008, 16:29 »

shoulda used gloves man.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #228 on: 19 Nov 2008, 16:38 »

The word yes has not yet been said enough times in the history of civilization for me to be able to have a meaningful metric with which to describe how much yes I want to say to that.

How do I make the hurt go away?
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2008, 16:39 by Slick »

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #229 on: 19 Nov 2008, 17:01 »

I do not know.

But I am making bread! Well, I will be when I finish doing the dishes.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #230 on: 19 Nov 2008, 17:12 »

Milk is supposed to help if you've eaten too much, so maybe it'll work on your hands as well? I have no idea, really, but a suggestion is better than nothing.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #231 on: 19 Nov 2008, 17:16 »

I was thinking of washing my hands in milk but then thought that would just be really sad.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #232 on: 19 Nov 2008, 17:25 »

vaseline.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #233 on: 19 Nov 2008, 17:47 »

thankyouphil

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #234 on: 19 Nov 2008, 18:43 »

Pain update: yup, I'm about to try washing my hands with milk.

Pain update update: helped only by being cold. Hands still on fire, but skin is nice and soft between the moisturizer and the milk.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2008, 18:54 by Slick »

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #235 on: 19 Nov 2008, 18:55 »

I hear cutting them off might help.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #236 on: 19 Nov 2008, 19:18 »

Dear lord I am getting there. I just used the washroom. Fucking uncomfortable. Oh god. Oh god.

I am going to go take all the drugs I have.
They all come over the counter at drug stores but I am taking them all anyways.
And maybe some liquor.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #237 on: 19 Nov 2008, 19:23 »

Line of reasoning: jesus this burning is not going away how can I make it go away I don't know who eats hot food india eats hot food what do I have that is indian and not hot I've got tamarind past excellent I'll eat some tamarind paste *insert spoon* wait how will eating this make my hands feel better OH GOD SO SOUR SO MUCH TAMARIND IN MY MOUTH OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE.

NEW ACTION PLAN:1) WALK DOWN ROAD IN COLD WITHOUT MITS TO MOVIE RENTAL PLACE
2) RENT MOVIE I WANT TO WATCH (QUICKLY!)
3) WALK HOME IN THE COLD, STILL NO MITS
4) PUT MOVIE IN LAPTOP, PRESS PLAY, PUT HANDS IN BOWL FILLED WITH ICE WATER
5) WAIT UNTIL MOVIE IS OVER
6) COME UP WITH NEW PLAN

I really wish I was joking.

P.S. But I can't leave the house because I have hot peppers in the oven! ahhhhhHHHHHHHHHh
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2008, 19:41 by Slick »

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #238 on: 19 Nov 2008, 21:40 »

vaseline.

Don't! Is actually one of the worse things you can do in the situation, apparently. My hands still hurt. Telehealth has just instructed me to soak my hands in a bowl of milk after washing them well. I do not know who to trust but I'm not going to emergency with this shit.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #239 on: 20 Nov 2008, 00:03 »

It might be a bit late, but another suggestion is something acidic, like strong alcohol or lemon juice or vinegar.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #240 on: 20 Nov 2008, 04:01 »

Been there done that still in pain thanks anyways.
I went to emerg. They weren't much help besides telling me to keep washing my hands regularly and I waited for an hour in a chair with a bowl of ice water for my hands so I could sleep sitting up for an hour at least.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #241 on: 21 Nov 2008, 06:23 »

Follow up: If you do use vaseline, scour your hands with baking soda and water until water runs smoothly and does not bead, then soak your hands in Maalox or any white liquid antacid (pepto-bismol is no good, it's pink!) for half an hour to forty-five minutes. Wash and soak again if necessary. Cheaper alternatives to liquid antacid are vegetable oil or milk, but they aren't as good.
Man that was a painful day and a half.

Also, if it burns abnormally much, treat it right away. That shit if fat soluble, not water soluble, so if you let it sit it soaks into you and then you're fucked. Soak it in milk, vegetable, or if you feel like pissing away expensive antacid, use that.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2008, 09:35 by Slick »

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #242 on: 21 Nov 2008, 17:49 »

The word yes has not yet been said enough times in the history of civilization for me to be able to have a meaningful metric with which to describe how much yes I want to say to that.

Same thing happened to mother. Places from google say urine works quite well. Milk didn't work for her.

Krina

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #243 on: 22 Nov 2008, 03:45 »

Another fun thing to do: Put in your contact lenses after you've just cut and seeded hot peppers (without the obvious washing of hands inbetween). I wonder when (if?) I will ever get any smarter...

Eli

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Crayon teeth draw blood.
« Reply #244 on: 22 Nov 2008, 08:26 »

Anyone have good recipes or tips for pancakes or hot cocoa? I usually use the hot cocoa recipe on theside of the Nestle baking cocoa box, but it develops a weird film over the top and I do just a basic pancake batter.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #245 on: 22 Nov 2008, 08:58 »

But the film over the top is part of what makes it proper hot cocoa! Kakao med snerk.

I would type up the pancake recipe I use, but they're not like American pancakes, so maybe not.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #246 on: 22 Nov 2008, 10:59 »

Follow up: If you do use vaseline, scour your hands with baking soda and water until water runs smoothly and does not bead, then soak your hands in Maalox or any white liquid antacid (pepto-bismol is no good, it's pink!) for half an hour to forty-five minutes. Wash and soak again if necessary. Cheaper alternatives to liquid antacid are vegetable oil or milk, but they aren't as good.
Man that was a painful day and a half.

Also, if it burns abnormally much, treat it right away. That shit if fat soluble, not water soluble, so if you let it sit it soaks into you and then you're fucked. Soak it in milk, vegetable, or if you feel like pissing away expensive antacid, use that.

I was joking, you didn't use vaseline did you? oh god.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #247 on: 22 Nov 2008, 17:39 »

Phil I might punch you in the face if I ever see you again.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #248 on: 22 Nov 2008, 18:17 »

(That is joking)
(clearly this is not 'ask your friends for advice on things that hurt you a lot forum' and is in fact 'these people have all slpet with each forum')
(I'm definitely not sleeping with you now, though, Phil)

(well maybe, but you're catching)

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #249 on: 22 Nov 2008, 18:20 »

Ahh, finally a use for the vaseline then.

(NO. No, nononononononononononononononono)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 47   Go Up