THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 04:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 469046 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #300 on: 02 Jan 2009, 15:20 »

I have posted this in at least two places already but I made a lemon meringue pie and chocolate mousse! They both came out great (haven't tried the pie yet) although the timing for the pie was a little off, I didn't put the oven on the heat up early enough so I had to wait to cook it, and it took several attempts to separate eggs successfully so we had scrambled egg for tea.

Anyway pictures will follow once I've got them off the camera. I'm pretty chuffed, meringue is famously difficult and it worked! The electric whisk probably helped a bit.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Masterbainter

• FIGHT YOU
  • those times...
« Reply #301 on: 03 Jan 2009, 06:08 »

I was bored/drunk this morning and I thought i'd make food. 

Took a deer tendeloin, cooked with some spices and used some pepper jack cheese on top.  I cut it up into small piece..
Then I made an cheese omelet but didn't fold it all the way in(if you triple fold) .. so it was like a little egg plate with a cheesy bottom
I heated up some cream of mushroom soup and poured it into the cheese egg plate.. I put the cut up deer steak pieces in it and put some A1 on top.

Really not too bad.. I will leave out the steak seasoning next time though.  I didn't go with any of it.

edit: drugs are bad
Hey guys let me tell you about my intercourses.

My intercourses, let me tell you about them.

abadname

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • double plus good
    • http://www.myspace.com/roseofsharyn7
« Reply #302 on: 03 Jan 2009, 13:38 »

I made a gallon and a half of turkey stock yesterday, today i made some risotto with it and later I'll use it to make some soup.

Turkey stock is so good.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #303 on: 09 Jan 2009, 15:01 »

stir fry is a cheap, easy and pretty healthy meal for students and busy people. this here is a pretty good recipe to start with for people who don't normally do this kind of thing. i make extra and eat the leftovers for a few days after.

ingredients (for the most part, these can be varied to taste):
1 pound skinless chicken breasts
1 garlic clove, minced
3 teaspoons oil (i prefer olive... and don't use extra virgin, you silly people)
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons soy sauce
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
chopped vegetables of your choice (enough for about 3-4 servings) - i prefer peppers, broccoli, snow peas, sweet onions and white mushrooms.
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
and, hot cooked rice or couscous.

directions:
1. cook the chicken. chop it up. set it aside.
2. chop up the vegetables and garlic.
3. put the veggies and garlic in a big wok or pan (preferably wok) with about 3 tablespoons of oil. set the stove to medium and stir fry that shit for about 5-10 minutes or until it's all nice and cooked.
4. turn down the heat to about medium-low and add the chicken, honey, soy sauce, salt and pepper. cook that for about 5-10 minutes, until the juices are runny and it's all well mixed and delicious-smelling. this is also a good time to make your rice or couscous, while the veggies and chicken are sitting in there soaking in the flavour.
5. in a separate cup, combine the cornstarch and water until smooth. add that to your stir-fry. bring it to a boil and cook for a couple of minutes, or until your sauce thickens. it's also a good idea to stir pretty frequently as i end up with crusty stuff on the bottom of my pan when i don't.
6. serve over rice or couscous.
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2009, 15:04 by tania »
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #304 on: 09 Jan 2009, 15:25 »

3 teaspoons oil (i prefer olive... and don't use extra virgin, you silly people)

What.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #305 on: 09 Jan 2009, 15:44 »

i caught my friend cooking with extra virgin a couple of days ago and almost knocked the bottle out of her hand. then i told another friend and she didn't get what the big deal was either so i figured it was worth mentioning. some people just do not know.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #306 on: 09 Jan 2009, 17:42 »

What's wrong with extra virgin olive oil?
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #307 on: 09 Jan 2009, 17:52 »

unlike refined olive oil, extra virgin olive oil is cold pressed and unrefined and has a much more distinct flavour, so it is best served in cold dishes like salads or pastas or used for sauteing. when heated to high temperatures, the unrefined particles burn which causes the oil not only to taste awful but also is a terrible thing to inflict on your heart. cooking should be done with refined olive oil instead.
i do not blame people for not knowing the distinction because apparently people like rachael ray teach people that it is okay. what the hell, rachael ray, it is not okay.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #308 on: 09 Jan 2009, 18:02 »

That sounds really good tania, I want to try it out.

But what about other oils?
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #309 on: 10 Jan 2009, 07:59 »

oh any other oil is fine as long as it is for cooking. i just like how olive tastes.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #310 on: 10 Jan 2009, 09:51 »

So, other cold-pressed oils are fine for cooking, but olive oil is not? And it's for health reasons? And chemically processed olive oil is okay?

I call bullshit. I'm going to keep cooking with first cold pressing, extra virgin olive oil. I'm also going to keep cooking with whole olives.
Ho, ho, ho!

abadname

• double plus good
« Reply #311 on: 10 Jan 2009, 10:01 »

Extra virgin olive oil has a really low smoke point, something like 250 degrees.  And when it burns it becomes carcinogenic.  I'll find a chart about the smoke points of oils, but yeah extra virgin is bad and so are most unrefined oils.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/50/Smoke-Points-of-Various-Fats

Eh it is 320, but that is still really low.  Your pan easily gets a lot higher than that.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2009, 10:03 by abadname »

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #312 on: 10 Jan 2009, 10:17 »

So, other cold-pressed oils are fine for cooking, but olive oil is not?

other oils as in other refined oils with a high smoke point, not other unrefined oils.
anyone can cook with whatever oil they want, using unrefined oil when frying just seems like a bit of a waste of good oil to me. it's pricier and has a very distinct flavour that doesn't go with a lot of food imo. i wanted to clarify the difference between extra virgin and refined olive oil mainly because the aforementioned friends didn't know there was any difference between unrefined and refined oil, they just thought all oil was the exact same to cook with and that if they bought more expensive oil it would automatically lead to better food. figuring there might be other people here who also aren't aware of the difference i felt it was worth mentioning.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2009, 10:27 by tania »

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #313 on: 10 Jan 2009, 11:01 »

Oh man yeah, extra virgin olive oil tastes terrible when it gets hot. A friend of mine actually baked a cake using it, Funfetti cake with an undertone of burned olive is not a good mix at all.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

orangepeas

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #314 on: 12 Jan 2009, 21:56 »

So I was messing around in the kitchen and came up with this. I love coconut milk and it adds flavour!
Coconut-Eggplant stew
Half of eggplant chopped in cubes
1/2 cup chopped carrots
2 teaspoons of ground cardamom
1 can of coconut milk
1/4 of mango juice (optional)
1/2 teaspoon of curry powder or however much you want
Half of onion chopped

Sauté the onion in an oiled pan, put in the carrots and eggplant, sauté them a bit. But in the coconut milk, caradom, curry powder and mango juice. Put a lid on it and simmer till eggplant and carrots are tender. (About 5-10 minutes)

Enjoy!

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #315 on: 12 Jan 2009, 23:02 »

I agree with Tania, just shy away from Lampanate Olive Oil for any reason (It's a kind, not a brand). It's basically the leftover olive mush after they press the highre-grade olive oils combined with various solvents. Its extremely acidic for an olive oil (~5% if memory serves), and it's terrible.

If you really really want to cook with extra virgin without giving yourself cancer and a bad taste, mix a olive oil and another oil with a higher smoke point in a 1:5 or so ratio. The higher smoke point of the other oil should work to prevent the olive oil from burning, while stil giving it a good flavor. I haven't personally tried this with olive oil, but i usually miz a little oil with my raw butter to keep it from burning when I'm too lazy to clarify some, so it should work.
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

abadname

• double plus good
« Reply #316 on: 13 Jan 2009, 13:02 »

I call shenanigans on the "mixing it makes it not burn thing"  I have had that shoved down my throat and to me it seems it will burn at the same temperature just it's in a lower quantity so the taste is less apparent.  But i do mix sometimes for flavor, i just think the "adding another oil will keep it from burning" thing isn't true.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #317 on: 14 Jan 2009, 03:21 »

I don't really like cooking stir-fries with olive oil. I don't want my Asian food to taste like Mediterranean food. I prefer to use something like canola oil.

Also, if you're making a chicken stir-fry it's really nice to marinade the chicken for a while. You can make a really tasty marinade for a stir-fry by mixing fish sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and palm sugar, and maybe a little bit of lime juice. After you've finished marinading the chicken, you can add the marinade to the stir-fry to flavour the vegetables, too.

Oh, and chuck some herbs in there at the end. Stir-fry is a different dish entirely with some nice fresh herbs. I'd recommend any or all of the following: mint, Vietnamese mint, and Thai basil.

All of these ingredients should be readily available in Australia, at least in the larger cities, but I don't know about elsewhere.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #318 on: 14 Jan 2009, 07:45 »

How do I make my stir-fry crisp?

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #319 on: 14 Jan 2009, 11:51 »

Don't cook it so long and don't put any water in it
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #320 on: 14 Jan 2009, 14:14 »

Yeah, a stir-fry should really be cooked for, like, a few minutes tops. And on very high heat. And constantly stirring it, so that things don't stick and burn. Oh, and in a wok.

That's how you make sure everything in there is crisp instead of floppy.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #321 on: 14 Jan 2009, 15:24 »

Also don't add too much of the soy, as it'll do the same thing as adding water and make it gloopy.

Also also, if you like ginger, you can add a shitload of ginger to the honey/soy/garlic stir-fry sauce mixture. This was pretty much a staple dish for the first few years of my living out of home.

That and omlettes. Mmm omlette.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #322 on: 17 Jan 2009, 13:02 »

This morning I started some chicken stock with the leftover bones from two chicken breasts. It got a healthy dose of yellow split peas to make up for the tiny amount of chicken, plus the standard fare of vegetables. I strained that and made chicken-barley-split pea soup with it (thickened up to a stew, really), and with the leftover veg/chicken mush from the stock, I have re-invented falafel in a strange new way. Basically, three stale whole-wheat kaisers became bread crumbs and were then processed with the mushmash, then received a fresh onion and some fresh parsley and got processed some more, before being rolled into balls. It is all now baking in my oven at 350şF.
Soup is tasty, not sure how these chickafels will be.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #323 on: 18 Jan 2009, 01:12 »

I have chicken stock and brown veal stock on my stove now.

Tomorrow, I'm making osso bucco alla milanese and watching the Steelers stomp the everlasting fuck out of Baltimore..

Huzzah for football and gremolata
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.

spoon_of_grimbo

• http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
    • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #324 on: 19 Jan 2009, 15:33 »

First off, a confession. I suck at cooking. My speciality dish is usually soup a la cup, beans presented on a bed of toast, or if I'm feeling particularly lazy, microwave ready meal. So today I figured I'd try to actually cook a proper meal. It went so awesomely, I've decided to share the recipe with y'all.

"The Sausagefest"

Ingredients:
4 sausages
Jar of Bisto Cumberland Sausage & Onion Sauce (purple label)
A Granny Smith apple
A medium sized red potato
2 of those reet nice big mushrooms
Lea & Perrins Sauce
Salt & Pepper
Cooking Oil
Bit of milk
Some butter

Stuff:
A cooker (this one's pretty essential)
Frying pan
Saucepan (with lid)
Glass casserole dish
Some wooden spoons
Potato masher

First, turn on the hob, put the frying pan on it, whack in a bit of oil.  When the oil's warm and all that, put the sausages in, and turn them over every 30seconds or so.  When you're not turning the sausages, keep yourself busy by peeling the apple, and cutting half of it into tiny, tiny bits.  When the sausages are nearly done, drain any excess oil and throw in the apply-bits. Swish it all around with a wooden spoon until the apply-bits are brown.

At this point, it's important to observe Ramsay's first law of cookery.  So, take the time to call the microwave a wanker, flip the middle finger at the toaster, and tell the wooden spoon to fuck off.  If anyone asks what you're cooking, shout in their face that "it's a luxury sausage bastard, you prick!"  Done that?  Excellent, now pour the sausages and apply-bits from the pan into the casserole dish, pour the sauce over it, put the lid on, and whack it all in the oven at 180degrees.  Now, you've got a few minutes to kill, maybe eat the rest of that apple?  Go on, you've earned it!

After a few minutes, peel the potato, chop into pieces and place in the saucepan.  If you're wondering why a red potato, the lady at the market said they make the best mash.  But it's still the same colour inside, so if you can't find a red one, maybe just get a normal one and paint it red or something.  Anyway, fill the saucepan with water until it's just above the tates, and place that lot on the hob.

While the potatoes are boiling, wash and rinse the frying pan, as you'll be needing it again shortly to cook the mushrooms.  Also, after the sausage mixture's been in the oven for about 20 minutes, take it out (it should go without saying that you should use oven gloves/folded tea-towel for this, although I managed to forget this bit and rather loudly suggested that the oven might be of the sort that engages in intercourse with its mother), add a few drips of Lea & Perrins, a bit of salt and pepper, stir well, and put back into the oven.  It'll want about another 15mins.

Once the tates are boiling nicely, turn the heat down, put the lid on the saucepan, and leave to simmer for a bit.  In the meantime, rip out the stalks of the mushrooms, and put the frying pan on the hob with a blob of butter in there.  When that's melted, throw in the mushrooms (whole) and the stalky bits.  Let them brown for a couple of minutes each side, and then turn the heat down, and cover them with the lid from the saucepan so they can steam for a bit.

While the mushrooms are steaming, drain the tates, add butter and/or milk and mash them until nice and creamy.  By this time, the sausage mix ought to be about done, and you're ready to serve!  First, put all the mashed potato onto the plate and shape it into a kind of fort around the edge.  Bear in mind that all good forts have turrets.  Due to my lack of a masher, I'd used a wooden spoon, leaving lumps in the mash, giving the fort a little more structural integrity...

Drain the butter off the mushrooms, and place them on top of one another at the edge of the fort to make a little tower.  Pour the sausage mixture into the middle of the fort, and throw the mushroom stalky bits on the top of it.  Sorted!

Now, all that remains is to enjoy the hell outta eating it, and then silently dread the immensity of the washing up which lies ahead...

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #325 on: 19 Jan 2009, 15:44 »

I could get behind a cookbook that is written like this.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #326 on: 20 Jan 2009, 15:21 »

Tania's stir fry is sexcellent. I added pineapple and jalapeno to make it sweeter and spicier, and a little more garlic just because, but I didn't have a wok so it was the floppy sort of stir fry. Still great.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #327 on: 20 Jan 2009, 17:36 »

the recipe i posted was sort of a messy attempt to describe what i do in the kitchen. it changes everytime cos i just sort of add things to taste and thus a lot of experimenting goes on. the main thing i wanted to share was the soy sauce + honey + garlic combination which was such a cheap and tasty discovery that i couldn't not tell anyone about it. i'm glad you enjoy it!

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #328 on: 22 Jan 2009, 19:01 »

Grilled cheese!

With ricotta and Parmesan (and a slice of American!).

nom nom nom
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #329 on: 22 Jan 2009, 19:24 »

NEEDS MOAR BACON

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #330 on: 22 Jan 2009, 19:25 »

Well we did not have any bacon. So pfffft.
Liz is touching me.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #331 on: 22 Jan 2009, 19:40 »

I made some pretty good falafels the other day. My thing is that I like to add extra cumin and also red pepper.

Hate, rain on me

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #332 on: 22 Jan 2009, 20:09 »

Oh man, we made italian rice balls at work today. They were delicious.

Its beef, mozzerella,  sauce, onions, garlic, and peas stuffed into a sticky rice ball, breaded, and deep-fried.

I ate 6 of them and I have a stomach ache

ThePrettyMonster

• Emoticontraindication
  • :P
« Reply #333 on: 22 Jan 2009, 20:51 »

one day i shall attempt to cook and then eat all of these delicious sounding recipes
Addicted to QC since August 14th 2007. Thank you, Noelle Wells!

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #334 on: 23 Jan 2009, 00:56 »

Now I have a stomach ache because I am drunk and I ordered the "hottest wings you have" at a bar known for their hot wings.

I think they managed to splice habanero DNA directly into the chicken. It was deliciously painful.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #335 on: 26 Jan 2009, 20:34 »

not my invention - it came from the internet, i don't remember where - but here is the pasta sauce recipe i use. it takes about 2-3 hours to make so you gotta start this pretty early on in the evening. it's easy and delicious though. this makes about 3-4 servings.

pasta sauce with meatballs!

ingredients:
meatballs
1 pound (about .45 kg) lean ground beef
1 cup bread crumbs
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp grated parmesan
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 egg (beaten)

sauce
3/4 cup chopped onion
5 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cans diced tomatoes (28 oz each)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp white sugar
1 bay leaf
1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
3/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

instructions:

1. combine all the meatball stuff in one big bowl. mash it around. use your (clean) hands. make sure it's mixed real well, then form them into meatballs. i think the original recipe called for 12, but they're really big so i usually make about 16 instead. totally arbitrary and up to you. put them in the fridge when you're done.
2. get a large pot or very large saucepan. set the stove to medium. put the onion, garlic, and olive oil into that pot and saute them until the onion is translucent.
3. stir in the tomatoes, salt, sugar and bay leaf.
4. reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 90 minutes. go do something productive.
5. come back and stir in tomato paste, basil, pepper, and meatballs. i know the meatballs are raw but they will cook. it's neat.
6. cover and simmer on low heat about 30 minutes more. maybe you can use this time to clean the kitchen or make some pasta or something.
7. eat it! you're done!

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #336 on: 26 Jan 2009, 21:16 »

oh! i forgot also that i made my very first pizza from scratch on friday and it turned out so well despite the fact that i had no idea what i was doing that i'm going to share the recipe for that with you too. my friends were all really impressed but they probably shouldn't be. seriously, i am pretty stupid so if i can make a good pizza literally anybody can. this pizza also takes a while to make so start this a couple of hours before you actually plan on eating.

be warned though, this will make a MASSIVE pizza. i ended up with a 2 inch thick monstrosity. it was absolutely delicious, really soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside but also really stupidly big. unfortunately i am new to pizzas and i don't know how to adjust the recipe accordingly, if it even can be. if you're okay with a giant pizza, cool! if not, you may want to make two smaller pizzas instead.

ingredients:
2 1/4 tsp instant dry yeast
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
all the stuff you want to put on your pizza

instructions:
1. get a large bowl. dissolve the yeast, brown sugar, and water in that bowl and let it sit for 10 minutes. if you are new to baking, this is called proofing and basically you are checking that the yeast is active. warm water is good, hot water might kill the yeast so avoid that. if, after 10 minutes, the water is foamy and smells like bread you're ready to roll.
2. stir the salt and oil into the yeast solution, then add in 2 1/2 cups of flour. do it little by little so it doesn't fly everywhere.
3. gather up the dough onto a clean, well floured surface, and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. according to the recipe, this will need about an extra 3/4 cups of flour, but i kind of skipped out on measuring the flour for this part since it was everywhere. just have lots of flour on hand and keep kneading it in until the dough isn't sticking all over your hands anymore.
4. place the dough into a well oiled bowl and cover it with a damp cloth. let the dough rise until it doubles in size. this take about an hour so go do something productive.
5. come back in an hour. you might want to preheat your oven to 425 F (220 C) now. punch down the dough, form a tight ball, allow the dough to relax for a minute, then roll it out. again, one pizza or two, it's up to you. if you are baking the dough on a pizza stone you should (according to the recipe) put the toppings on and bake it immediately. if you are baking your pizza in a pan, oil the pan and let the dough rise for 15 or 20 minutes before topping and baking it. if you are worried about the dough being undercooked, you may want to bake it a few minutes before adding toppings, but i didn't have that problem so this is also up to you. as long as you bake it on the bottom rack it should be fine.
6. put whatever you want on your pizza.
7. bake your pizza. i have no idea how long for tbh. the recipe says 15-20 minutes but i think mine took longer than that. if you're making two smaller pizzas, switch them (one will be on the top rack and one on the bottom) about halfway through or else they'll bake unevenly. just keep an eye on your pizza. when it's golden brown and kind of looks and smells like it's done, it's done.
8. eat it! awesome!

now that i have a camera i think i should maybe start taking photos of my food, it might be helpful if anyone's actually attempting to make these recipes. next time.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2009, 21:35 by tania »

Cicero

« Reply #337 on: 26 Jan 2009, 21:19 »

Tania, that sounds delicious.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #338 on: 26 Jan 2009, 21:34 »

it was kind of like pizza hut crust but not as drippy and greasy. i'm pretty happy with this recipe!

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #339 on: 27 Jan 2009, 21:56 »

The easiest way to control the size of your pizza is to cut the dough.  Cut the dough down into smaller pieces right before step 4 in your recipe.  Roll each individual piece of dough into a tight ball and continue as per your recipe.

If you have more dough than you know what to do with, bench it and punch it, then freeze the rest. It should keep with a minimal quality loss.

I find 18oz-20oz dough balls are the best for a 16" pie. If you don't have scales handy, the dough should be about the diamter of a CD after you roll it into a ball.

When I make pizza at home, I use a piza stone, preheated to 500F. It takes 8-10 minutes to cook at that temp with a stone, add a few minutes if you dont have a pizza stone.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #340 on: 29 Jan 2009, 13:36 »

Talking of pizza I made an excellent chicago style deep-dish pizza the other day.

Basically you want to use Tania's recipe for the pizza dough but then instead of rolling it all into 1 big pizza base you split it into two bits - one bit has to be slightly larger so split it like 60/40.

Roll the larger bit so that it is large enough to sit at the bottom of your non-stick springform cake tin (I guess this isn't essential, but it is hella useful) with the dough running up the sides and over the edge. The trick at this bit is to keep the dough at a consistent thickness on the base, this is pretty essential because if you have weak bits they will probably break under the pressure of delicious cheesy pizza.

Now use scissors to trim the excess dough that is hanging over the side of the tin - don't get rid of it all, just even it out to about an inch excess.

Fill your new dough bowl with all manners of cheese, meats and tasty pizza noms. When I made it I put cooked spicy chicken, cheddar, a few lumps of mozarella and a dollop of tomatoey pizza sauce I made from a tin of tomatoes, some garlic, an onion and some tomato puree in there. I wouldn't use raw meats because they would probably not cook fully before the pizza crust was burning up in places.

Roll the second lump of dough so that it is just big enough to fit inside the cake tin, as a sort of lid. Once you've done this you roll the excess dough you have hanging over the edge of your cake tin into the dough lid. The two pieces of dough.

Pierce the dough lid. This is essential because you need to let steam escape from the pizza chamber that you've just made or else it might explode in your oven.

Chuck on a thin layer of pizza sauce, some more cheese, maybe some more meat - whatever you like really. I used sliced chorizo, chopped mushrooms and a load of mozarella.

Blam that mother in the middle of your pre-heated oven for 45 minutes or so at 220 C. The dough should be golden and firm throughout. The 45 minutes is really a rough guide - you need the dough to be baked properly throughout or else it'll fall apart when you cut it and you'll have incredibly tasty mess that is not really pizza. If the pizza is starting to brown top before it's ready you can do the last 10 minutes or so with tin foil covering it to try and help that.

nom nom nom.

abadname

• double plus good
« Reply #341 on: 29 Jan 2009, 13:56 »

A traditional deepdish would be without the second layer of dough and have a shitton of pizza sauce.   Unless I am mistaken, which is possible.  Doing it that way you could use raw sausage in it.

But regardless that sounds delicious

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #342 on: 29 Jan 2009, 17:03 »

There is nothing wrong with cooking your sausage and any other raw meat beforehand, especially for deep dish where it won't dry out and even on a new york style pizza its fine, so there is never any reason to use absolutely raw meat. Some places have grilled chicken breast or some jibber jabber as a topping on their new york style pizzas but stay away from that shit, it'll be dry as a bone before it finishes, chicken breast wasn't made to be a good pizza topping like that, haven't tried it in a deep dish though.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

abadname

• double plus good
« Reply #343 on: 29 Jan 2009, 20:25 »

You could add it when you take it out, if the pizza is still hot it should stick.

LizziL

• Larger than most fish
  • 'This thing came out of our cat...'
« Reply #344 on: 30 Jan 2009, 02:42 »

I worked in a pizza joint for a pretty long time, and, pre-cooked meats are pretty standard. Much faster, so you're less likely to have raw meat and burnt cheese/crust. All of these recipes sound delicious! I wish I was out of my dorm before May so I could try some of them!

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #345 on: 30 Jan 2009, 18:54 »

I present to you... How To Make French Fries! (nom nom nom)

Slice up that potato. You can do classic french fry shapes or little cubes or whatever you want. Just try to make them all roughly the same size so they will bake evenly.

Toss the potato bits with some olive oil and spices of your choosing (I am partial to cayenne pepper, garlic, basil, and various others).

Stir it all up good and watch out for clumps of seasoning!

Put them in the oven to bake. I do 350 for anywhere from 45 to 75 minutes, depending on how thick I have cut the fries. Yes my oven is tiny. Shush.

Aaaand PRESTO. Delicious fries that you can enjoy by themselves or with your favorite dipping sauce. What you cannot see in this photo is the blob of ranch on my plate. I am obsessed with ranch.

OM NOM NOM
Liz is touching me.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #346 on: 30 Jan 2009, 19:04 »

Nice job Liz, they look pretty damn delicious. We should probably attempt to try and make more foods like french fries and stuff that are usually fried in that healthier, baked way. They taste delicious anyway and are far classier than just dumping some frozen bag of crinkle cuts into the vat of peanut oil for deep frying.

I also really like the last picture, so much.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #347 on: 30 Jan 2009, 19:38 »

They look tasty as all hell but are you sure you did not use an apple accidentally?

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #348 on: 30 Jan 2009, 19:47 »

Nope! Two potatoes!

(Is it weird that part of me is now wondering what baked apple slices would taste like?)
Liz is touching me.

Reed

« Reply #349 on: 30 Jan 2009, 20:03 »

I'll have you know that I currently have a bag of potatoes sitting in my cabinet and I've had no idea what I want to do with them.

You have made my day!
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 47   Go Up