THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 17:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 457822 times)

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #350 on: 30 Jan 2009, 20:04 »

(the joke is that they looked like slices of apple, but baked cooking apples are pretty nice so I guess I could do a quick recipe for that. I dunno about slices though.)

Take a large cooking apple core it and slice a line through the skin all the way round it. The line slicing is important because apples can explode.

Put lotsa raisins and demerara sugar (maybe even some cinnamon or other spices. Go nuts!*) inside it, place the apple in a baking dish and splash a little bit of water over it.

Bake in the oven at 180 oC or so until the apple is starting to brown on the outside (25-30 minutes, but keep checking it because you don't want that shit burnt), it should come out fairly smooshy but still intact.

Serve with whipped cream.

*I have heard that some nuts work really well in baked apples, but I've never tried it.

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #351 on: 30 Jan 2009, 23:07 »

I like saving the fat from ribeyes/bacon./etc and using it to poach my french fries in before I actually fry them.

Heat the fat to 200F, drop the fries in for 45 seconds or so, and drain and cool. Then later, pop them in a 350F deep fryer filled with oil, cook until crispy, and enjoy.
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #352 on: 01 Feb 2009, 02:07 »

This is the recipe for a beef and vegetable stew that my grandfather makes. I tried it for the first time on my own today, and it came out pretty smashingly. Very hearty.

Here are the things that you will need, ostensibly -

3 ¼ lb. Beef short ribs, cut crosswise
3 tps. Salt
10 whole black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
2 celery stalks, with green tops, cut-up
1 large onion, quartered
3 parsley sprigs
1 large can (28 oz.) tomatoes ( be sure the can doesn’t have seasoning like garlic, etc.)
1 ½ cups cut-up,pared red Irish potatoes
¾  cup cut-up,pared carrots
¼ tps. dried tarragon leaves
¼ tps. curry powder
1 can of sweet peas
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 can red kidney beans
1 cup pasta, give or take a cup depending on preference (I prefer shell macaroni, but you go wild with whatever)

Here is what you will do with these things
1. In large pot, combine beef ribs, 2 tps. salt, peppers, bay leaf, celery, onion, parsley and 1 ½ qts. water. Bring to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour and 45 minutes. I use this time to bake cookies or go on a 5k run and work out, whichever strikes me as more fun at the moment. You could also watch television, or something.
2. Remove beef ribs from the pot. The meat should be browned and reduced significantly. What you do now depends on where the rib fat is. If it's still stuck to the ribs (as it was for me today) then cut or pull the meat from it and dispose of it along with the bones (if your meat's well cooked it will just slide right off the bone, with a little coaxing). If there aren't big, gross-looking fat deposits on the meat then congratulations, it's in the stock. Take the pot off of the heat and let it cool, such that the fat condenses on top of the fluid. Scoop / bast it out.
3. In your pot, combine the newly created beef stock, the pulled beef, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, tarragon, curry powder, and rest of salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are almost tender. At my rocky mountain altitude this took more like 25 minutes.
4. Add peas, beans, cabbage and pasta and simmer covered 10 minutes or until peas and cabbage are tender. Depending on the amount of pasta you might want to add to this time.

and then you eat it. It should yield enough for 2 sizable meals for 2 people. Make it just for yourself and you're well fed for awhile.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2009, 02:09 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #353 on: 10 Feb 2009, 16:46 »

I just realized I never posted my vegetarian chili recipe. It's simple, quick, cheap and pretty good!

1 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
2 tablespoons butter or margarine (or vegetable oil, for the pot)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 can of whole tomatoes, crushed (use diced if you don't want to chop them up yourself)
1 can corn
1 can beans (kidney or black, I prefer kidney)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I discourage using strong cheddar)
As much brown rice as you please
1/2 cup green onions, chopped (optional)
salt / pepper to taste

(1) Start the rice, since it will take awhile. At this altitude it takes 45 minutes to produce 3 cups of brown rice, so I usually let that simmer for about 20 minutes before getting on to step 2, thus ensuring that the rice is fresh by the time the rest of the chili is ready.
(2) Saute onion and pepper in butter until tender but not brown. (actually, I like to caramelize the onions myself.)
(3) Stir in garlic until cooked (less than a minute, as it'll burn pretty fast)
(4) Add tomatoes and beans and stir in the chili powder, season with salt / pepper as much as needed. Simmer 10 minutes, adding the corn about halfway in as to avoid overcooking. remember not to drain the cans, but throw everything in there. Break up the tomatoes with your spoon / spatula once they're softened by the heat (if you're using the whole tomatoes)
(5) Stir in rice (you can also pour the chili over the rice, but I add the rice into the chili to create a mixture) add cheese as desired, stirring to distribute.
(6) Serve.

Be aware that as this recipe uses cheese, by making it you will become complicit in bovine slavery and thus are not a good vegan, if you proclaim yourself to be one. Oppression has a mild flavor that offsets the chili powder nicely.

Here it is at stage 4

Here it is at stage 6

It'll feed a few people and it costs just about $3-6, depending on what stuff you already have.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2009, 17:44 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #354 on: 10 Feb 2009, 19:14 »

Oppression has a mild flavor that offsets the chili powder nicely.

i will make your delicious looking recipe just for this
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #355 on: 10 Feb 2009, 19:45 »

I am feeling under the weather.  It really sucks, but it inspired me to make Misoshiru.  Yummy and supposedly good for getting over sickness.  I cobbled this together from a few different recipes.

It was made of:

4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
Ginger, a piece a little smaller than a thumb, peeled and minced
1 1/2 Tbsp. Oil
A smallish red onion, sliced
A leaf or two of kale, ripped to bits  (a cup or so)
1/2 a block of firm tofu, cut into little cubes
6 shitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
3 cups vegetable broth and 5 cups of water
2 Tbsp. Tamari
3 Tbsp. Red miso paste

Preparation is pretty simple.  Sautee the garlic and ginger in a big pot for thirty seconds or so, then add the onions and kale.  Stir it around for a minute or so, then add tofu.  Stir it around a little more.  Then stir occasionally for another minute or two.  Onions should be translucent and kale will darken.  Stir in the mushrooms, until they start to sweat.  Pour in liquids.  Bring to a simmer and let it do its thing for five minutes or so.  While waiting, get a small bowl and put the miso and tamari in it.  From your soup, take a spoonful or two of broth and pour it over the miso.  Stir it up so you have a miso/tamari/broth liquid.  Remove soup pot from heat, and let it chill out for thirty seconds or so.  Then stir in the miso mixture.  It is important that the soup is not boiling when you add the miso, because heat kills the good enzymes and shit. 

Soup is ready to be served! 

Serving suggestion, box of tissues not required.

This soup reheats well, provided it is not allowed to boil.  I will enjoy it over the next couple of days while I sniffle pathetically.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #356 on: 10 Feb 2009, 20:15 »

I had a dinner party tonight. The food and the company were both fantastic.

First there were crabcakes and a salad of field greens and cherry tomatoes with balsamic vinegar, then a thick, creamy, pureed butternut squash soup. Next we had salmon croquettes, some with capers and onions mixed in, some with just egg, cracker, lemon, and salt. There was a citrus aioli with those, and also mashed potatoes.

For dessert we had baked pears with a chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream.

It was so so yummy.
Ho, ho, ho!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #357 on: 10 Feb 2009, 20:24 »

Okay internet, you win, I am going to talk to my parents about getting some of the old cookware and I am going to start making food instead of buying it all the time.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

St.Germain

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #358 on: 10 Feb 2009, 22:25 »

So for Valentine's Day, I'm making dinner. Fetticine Alfredo, from scratch. By 'scratch', I mean I'm making everything. I made the homemade pasta the other day and froze it. This will accompanied by bread that has roasted red peppers and mozzerella in it.

It should be amazing. I can post the recipes if anyone is interested. It's all vegetarian, too.

Krina

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #359 on: 11 Feb 2009, 12:45 »

Yes plz. I always make pasta with saoce from a jar and feel like mixing it up a little.

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
« Reply #360 on: 16 Feb 2009, 21:59 »

I cooked a sweet potato today. I have always thought I hated sweet potato. I was wrong. I simply never had it where it wasn't drowned in butter and brown sugar. I baked it and drizzled olive oil in it and suddenly it was not only edible, but quite nice :)
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't, I'll just respond, cleverly." Donald Rumsfeld

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #361 on: 16 Feb 2009, 23:24 »

Over the weekend, I made two pies from this recipe with the first pie crust on this page, but I added a bunch of blueberries and put in about 1 1/4 cup of sugar for both pies, rather than 2 cups of sugar.  I also put in less water (I think I used just barely over a cup, total) and more cornstarch (about 5 tablespoons total), because people had complained in the comments that it took forever to set and ended up being really watery anyway.  It was a good call, I think, because my pie had set perfectly after a few hours in the fridge.  Plus, the filling filled up both my pies, even without all that extra water and sugar.  I don't have a masher (I used a fork) and I placed my strawberries haphazardly in the shell, so it's not as pretty as the recipe picture.  But it was certainly tasty.

I gave one of the pies to my upstairs neighbors so that I wouldn't gain five pounds in pie fat just this weekend.  Here's mine:

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #362 on: 17 Feb 2009, 09:08 »

Cool! I think the water in that recipe is probably excessive like the comments said, three quarter cups sounds a bit much. I like to avoid diluting fillings too much, so I'd use just enough water so that you can whisk the cornstarch well so it doesn't clump when it hits the strawberries and heat.
Also, to make strawberries (or any fruit) easier to mash, you can toss them with the sugar and let them sit for half an hour; the sugar softens them and they'll release a lot of their fluid, making them easier to manhandle. And if you are not going to arrange them fancy-like, I find it is more sensible to make the strawberries smaller because that makes em easier to eat and they work better with the mayhem approach of placement.

(I think a lot about pies)
(looks tasty)
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #363 on: 17 Feb 2009, 14:22 »

Tomorrow I am having a dinner party too!

I will post photos of all the foods and it will be awesome.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #364 on: 17 Feb 2009, 17:50 »

(I think a lot about pies)

These thoughts are not wasted. You can be the baker at the QC restaurant.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

St.Germain

« Reply #365 on: 18 Feb 2009, 22:58 »

Ok, here's part of my Valentine's Day meal. I don't feel like typing out everything right now, but an interest in sauce was expressed, so we'll start with that.

Fettuccini Alfredo

4 cups fettuccini (mine was homemade, but use whatever you have access to)
1/4 cup whipping cream
3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 lb. (2 sticks) soft butter
1 egg yolk, beaten
white pepper

Cook fettuccini in 4 quatrs water and 1 tsp. salt 14-18 minutes (less if it's fresh pasta), drain. In same pan, add butter and toss with fettuccini. Combine cream and egg yolk (in a separate container, I missed this). Alternate adding 1/3 of the cream/egg mix with 1/3 of the cheese. Toss well but gently after addition. Add pepper to taste and serve immediately.

It was quite tasty, but I had less than 4 cups of pasta, so there was lots of extra sauce. That is what bread is for, soaking up excess sauce. Be warned, it gets a little funny if you microwave leftovers, the butter separates out a bit, so you have to stir it back in. Maybe it was because I used margarine.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #366 on: 18 Feb 2009, 23:01 »

(I think a lot about piss)
This is what I read.

What is up with this thread anyway.

I'm eating chicken marsala over burned vermicelli and rice. mmmmm.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #367 on: 19 Feb 2009, 03:17 »

My flatmate bought a bunch of blueberries and then decided he didn't like them. Blueberry pancakes for breakfast is pretty awesome. Just make up the pancake mixture, toss a couple in and that's it. So easy.
Get off my land

Gilead

« Reply #368 on: 19 Feb 2009, 04:53 »

Be warned, it gets a little funny if you microwave leftovers, the butter separates out a bit, so you have to stir it back in. Maybe it was because I used margarine.
This is the worst part about cream sauces, they're so heavy so sometimes you don't wanna finish them, but you can't really do leftovers because they go gross.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #369 on: 19 Feb 2009, 12:54 »

I always make a roux when I'm cooking Fettuccine Alfredo, which then more or less consists of butter, flour, milk, parmesan, salt and pepper. But your recipe sounds interesting.

Wikipedia has helped me. A roux with scalded milk added is called a Béchamel sauce, which with added grated cheese is called a Mornay sauce, so that's basically what mine is.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
« Reply #370 on: 19 Feb 2009, 14:57 »

Flour in alfredo? All you need is heavy cream, and parmesan grated really fine, and salt and pepper, and you're tehre :)
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't, I'll just respond, cleverly." Donald Rumsfeld

St.Germain

« Reply #371 on: 20 Feb 2009, 00:21 »

I usually make a roux with parmasan, garlic, and italian seasoning when I'm making casual pasta. I had just decided to try something different using an actual recipe instead of something I made up. Turns out making it up tends to work better.

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #372 on: 20 Feb 2009, 00:48 »

I've found that too.  Nine out of ten times that I tried to actually follow a recipe, I found myself thinking "hmm, this would probably be better without this/with more of this/less of this/etc."  I generally look at a recipe for inspiration, then just make something up based on what I like and what is on sale.  It's probably good that I don't do a lot of baking, because that requires some chemistry and can be spectacularly fucked up moreso than a soup or sauteed dish.

Rolling20s

• Emoticontraindication
  • Panda loves you!
« Reply #373 on: 20 Feb 2009, 11:47 »

I cook on a fairly regular basis, and really enjoy it when I do. Last night I made some salsa from canned tomatoes, an onion, canned jalapenos, garlic and spices. Then I pan-fired some Tilapia that I'd blackened, and served all of that with rice and nacho chips. Delicimous! I ate the rest of the salsa this. I mixed it with some fried potatoes and some fried egg. More nacho chips for that mix, too.

We're planning to plant a really large garden this year, so we'll be able to use fresh ingredients more readily in a few months. Much prefer that to canned, but it's hard to argue with a large jar of sliced jalapenos for cheap.
Stephen Malkmus has entered my life. I... I never knew...

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #374 on: 21 Feb 2009, 06:40 »

Fettuccini Alfredo

-snip-

For being so simple this was suprisingly tasty. Needs a bit of spice, perhaps, maybe another type of cheese added in, but other than that I was impressed.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

Rolling20s

• Emoticontraindication
  • Panda loves you!
« Reply #375 on: 23 Feb 2009, 12:33 »

My wife baked scones!

Proto-scones

Some had cappuccino chips, some had chocolate chips.

Cappuccino chops make them into cakes. Chocolate chip ones look like regular scones.

Breakfast!
Stephen Malkmus has entered my life. I... I never knew...

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
« Reply #376 on: 23 Feb 2009, 20:48 »

okay you guys. I'm confused about roux now. All I know is from cajun cooking. I roux is supposed to be equal parts oil and flour, cooked at a high heat to whatever color you like. Yo uguys are describing it in a way that doesn't sound like what I mean when I say roux...Can ya'll clarify for me? :oops:

St.Germain

« Reply #377 on: 24 Feb 2009, 02:18 »

I'm probably using the term wrong, so you're probably right.

What I mean is a mix of melted butter and flour, which is all heated and stirred up, and then some milk and tasty things are added to make sauce. So yeah, I'm bastardizing the term "roux".

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #378 on: 24 Feb 2009, 03:26 »

Yes, the roux is the first stage in making a sauce properly.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #379 on: 24 Feb 2009, 03:40 »

Yeah, a roux for French cooking is butter and flour, Cajun cooking is usually with oil instead. A Cajun roux is usually cooked longer so you get a much darker roux and butter just can't take the heat and will burn, so oil is used instead.

evernew

• Curry sauce
  • Put a bangin' DONK on it!
« Reply #380 on: 24 Feb 2009, 03:40 »

I'm probably using the term wrong, so you're probably right.

What I mean is a mix of melted butter and flour, which is all heated and stirred up, and then some milk and tasty things are added to make sauce. So yeah, I'm bastardizing the term "roux".

That's Mehlschwitze.
It is made of delish and you can put pretty much everything in there.
For added yummy, replace some of the milk with cream and cheese.
Definitely put nutmeg in there.
(I really like putting in some curry when making basic  carbonara with cooked ham. But it works with all tasty meats and most seafood too.)
The Donk of Canterbury wishes everybody good tidings.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #381 on: 24 Feb 2009, 09:05 »

Made some pancakes this morning.
First time I've ever cooked in this apartment. (only lived here since July)
They were fantastic.

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
« Reply #382 on: 24 Feb 2009, 12:11 »

This makes more sense--butter and flour is indeed a roux (basically it's ANY fat and a like amount of flour depending on what you are trying for. But once you add to that it's no longer a roux, and the alfredo description was indeed, not a roux :p Alfredo is alfredo. I just started to panic a little with all the roux talk.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #383 on: 24 Feb 2009, 12:43 »

Oh hey guys, I've also got cookies that my mom and I made.

Here's my version of the recipe. Everything works the same I just make it sound better.

Some Goddamned No Bake cookies
2c Sugar
1/4c Cocoa
1/2c Butter
1/2c Milk
pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3c oatmeal

Mix together all that shit except for the oatmeal and vanilla in a pot. Get that shit boiling. Now you let it boil for 3 minutes, and only 3 damn minutes, alright, that is why these cookies are so quick. Mix in the vanilla. Now take it off of the stove and combine it with the oatmeal. Mix it up nice. Count to 60 while it sits and starts to solidify a bit. Drop that shit on cookie sheets in little balls or shapes or something. Put it in the freezer and let them chill, this is a good time for you to clean the pan and other stuff. Enjoy the shit out of these goddamn cookies.

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #384 on: 24 Feb 2009, 18:30 »

I made green curry for the first time today, and learned a few things.  The first is that light coconut milk is worthless.  It was on clearance, and I'm cheap, so I decided to try it.  I didn't expect it to be great, but I'm pretty sure they just thinned it with water.  The second thing is that Thai Kitchen curry paste is weak.  It's fine taste wise, but not nearly as hot as it should be.  If you want to make green curry but don't like really hot stuff, I would recommend it.

Overall it turned out pretty okay, but it could have been better.  I was pleased with substituting chunks of zucchini for Thai eggplant, which I read can be done if you can't find the appropriate veggie but still want something of similar size and texture.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2009, 19:55 by Darkbluerabbit »

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
« Reply #385 on: 24 Feb 2009, 19:49 »

Oh hey guys, I've also got cookies that my mom and I made.

Here's my version of the recipe. Everything works the same I just make it sound better.

Goddamnedshitshitdamnshitshit

fuck yeah! :laugh:

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #386 on: 25 Feb 2009, 10:31 »

Hi cooking people. You make me hungry.

On a semi-related note, the dining commons served chillaquiles(sp?) for breakfast this morning. I don't know what I just ate but it was so good. Does anyone have a way I could try to do this for myself? I am a cooking newbie but I would really like to try.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Genbot2500

• Emoticontraindication
  • Walking along a mobius strip, feeling lost
« Reply #387 on: 25 Feb 2009, 11:56 »

I today.. Made a bread pudding.. which looked god awful, but tasted good and is a solid way to get rid of leftover bread  :-D.. And a lamb tagine. It was good
Anybody of you know panacotta? It's an Italian dessert that is made out of almost nothing but cream. But it's sooo good
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2009, 11:59 by Genbot2500 »

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #388 on: 02 Mar 2009, 17:45 »

Currently making some of liz's potato fries, I will be accompanying them with a burger that Edith told me how to cook (since I do not know how to cook burgers without a grill).

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #389 on: 02 Mar 2009, 19:01 »

Today I made choc-caramel fudge and gingerbread men for my mummah to take to school with her tomorrow. I still need to make the icing for the gingerbread, but after that I will take photos and show them off.

The fudge recipe is ridiculously easy and it tastes so good that every time I make some people ask me for the recipe. The gingerbread recipe I got from out lunchy's cooking blog and have used before. I think I didn't put enough ginger in it, though, which is a bit of a downer, but then again I won't be eating them! Tonight I will cook some chicken and mushroom stuff and have it with rice. It looks pretty awful when it is being made, but is really quite tasty. Cookiiiiing!
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #390 on: 11 Mar 2009, 08:49 »

Hi cooking people. You make me hungry.

On a semi-related note, the dining commons served chillaquiles(sp?) for breakfast this morning. I don't know what I just ate but it was so good. Does anyone have a way I could try to do this for myself? I am a cooking newbie but I would really like to try.

It's sort of like scrambled eggs over tortilla chips with beans and sauce and cheese all fried up? It's actually a little more than that though, I just can't explain it any better than that.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #391 on: 11 Mar 2009, 21:25 »

Sam, guess what I had for breakfast one day when I was in Buda, Texas over Christmas?

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #392 on: 12 Mar 2009, 07:39 »

Dick?

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #393 on: 12 Mar 2009, 07:40 »

(always a safe bet)

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #394 on: 12 Mar 2009, 09:55 »

No no, Sam actually wasn't in town that weekend so there's no way that could be the answer. Good guess!

Gilead

« Reply #395 on: 11 Apr 2009, 03:29 »

Oh my shit, look guys, I appear to have baked something all by myself.

Mmm they look pretty delicious on their own, but what's this inside?

Fuck yes. That's right bitches, home made chocolate croissants.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #396 on: 30 Jul 2009, 06:54 »

Right then bitches, let's have a little bit of thread necro, eh? Lately, I've been living like a student without actually being one. This means simple, tastyish meals which are quick and tastyish.

Get ready for some bandwith fucking.

Right people, first things first, get a kitchen. Here is a prime example of a kitchen:

Next up, blast out some cooking music through iTunes or another cool kid approved media player. My weapon of choice is some Starfucker.

Hell Yeah.

Next up, put that bitching kettle on.

Now that that water is all boiled and shit, put it in a pan.

And turn that stove on like your prom date (except no backstreet abortion is necessary here!)

Now, you don't have to be specific, but I find 65g of wholegrain rice to be enough for me.

Bam.

And when the water looks like this:

Pour that rice in there. Bitch won't know what hit it.

Now, as you can see, I have a prime collection of mackeral here. I'm only using mackeral because fish is fucking delicious. To be honest, you can top this dish with any shit. Just make sure it's saucy, otherwise you'll get hench drymouth. Plus sauce is always awesome.

I'm also gonna slap some cheese in on this business. I'm going with Tescos own 'Mexican Pepper and Jalapeno Cheese', as modelled by Akaya the Magnificent.

You gotta' test that rice (unless you're an experience rice boiler).

Now it's not quite ready yet, so here's a tour of my Bitchin' Kitchen.

Here's the dishes.

Here's a rabbit.

Here's an Aussie Rules Ball.

Oh shit the rice

Get a sieve.

Sieve that rice.

Awh yeah.

Slap that cheese on whilst the rice is still hot, man.

That shit is better melted.

Now open that fish up.

Don't tell me that shit doesn't look appetizing. I bet your salivating just looking at it, you fish hussy you.

Mmm, look at that spicy tomato sauce.

Tip that shit out.

And bam, there goes the fish.

Oh yeah, doesn't that shit look awesome? Don't you just wanna grab a spoon and drive it through your monitor?

Well, pick your weapon, man.

Personally, I'd pick this thing.

Looks like Jimmy Neutron but...

BAM! That shit's a spoon.

I'm gonna' go with a normal spoon though, because my parents think I'm weird enough taking pictures whilst I eat.

I'll slap on some Top Gear on Dave.

And bam, food's gone.

And looks how satisfied that left me.

Until next time, folks. :D

Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #397 on: 30 Jul 2009, 09:39 »

How long do you boil rice before straining it? Is it minute rice or something? I've never heard of making rice like noodles. I bring the water to a boil, add rice and boil 5 minutes, cover and let simmer on low heat 20-25 minutes. The water-to-rice ratio is very important because I don't strain my rice, it just absorbs all the water while simmering, so if there's too much or too little water, the rice will come out either hard or mushy. Your rice intrigues me, Thomas Edison!
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #398 on: 30 Jul 2009, 11:34 »

I think that is how you are supposed to cook rice, with measuring of waters and simmering and whatnot. I just go with the Edison Method. It's easier than faffing about with jugs and whatnot, especially if there are no jugs.

Also, I am entirely behind this manner of discussing cookamajigs. Indeed, I think I shall do a series on baking when I locate a camera.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #399 on: 30 Jul 2009, 17:58 »

How long do you boil rice before straining it? Is it minute rice or something?

The rice in question is "Uncle Ben's Wholegrain Rice", packaging shown here (with a zoom in for sight impaired!).

It's the way I've been brought up to cook. Here in Durrington-on-Sea, we have difficulty with ratios and stuff. So we just throw the rice in for ten minutes and test it to see if it's edible. We're not picky eaters here.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 47   Go Up