THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 457687 times)

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #400 on: 30 Jul 2009, 20:09 »

Today I made something of a "Meatball Burger". No pics, sorry, but here's the gist.

I didn't feel like getting dressed by lunchtime to make burgers. This presents two problems:

1. I can't go outside naked, as we are renewing our lease right now, and I would like to have somewhere to live.
2. OMG SPLATTERING MEAT DEATH.

So, I think to myself, perhaps I can simulate both frying and grilling this tasty treat in a way that will cook a thick burger all the way through.

THE METHOD:
I coated the bottom of a shallow pan thoroughly with olive oil, and cover it with a suspiciously well-fitting lid from another pot set (it actually formed a vacuum on the first two I made, and I had to pry it open with an old serving fork). I took some 80-20 Ground beef, and mixed in some finely shredded flat leaf parsley (which, by the way is a great flavor for pretty much everything), along with more garlic than I usually put into a burger. (I wish I had some bread crumbs, next time I try this, maybe I'll beat an egg and some bread crumbs into the meat

Turned out pretty good: The real reason for this post. When cooking, I happened about some curry powder that my brother recently purchased. Seeing that ground beef is about the only meat I can count on having in this house, I got to thinking.

CURRIED SLOPPY JOES: GOOD IDEA OR GREAT IDEA? (I will probably take photos of this when I make it)
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Janvs

• Plantmonster
« Reply #401 on: 31 Jul 2009, 08:20 »

Last night my roomates and I made a Greek meal of sorts, including keftedes (Greek meatballs) tzatziki, and a fresh tomato salad. But since my roomates are puny WOMEN, much of it went uneaten.

So this morning I made an omelet. Three eggs with crumbled keftedes in the middle, feta cheese and tzatziki on top. I would have taken a picture but I ate it so fast that there is some debate as to whether it actually existed. It was delicious.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #402 on: 31 Jul 2009, 11:01 »

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this...but how much 'herb' would you need if you're only making a small amount of cookies/brownies for two people?  Likewise, does anyone have any good recipes for it?  I know there are tons out there already, but I figure some of you might have better ones.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #403 on: 31 Jul 2009, 11:50 »

How are you looking at making these herby cookies/brownies? Easiest way is to make some green butter. Now, there are loads of ways to make this, but I go for simple and sweet.

I would try for a tenbag for just two people, but it's always an iffy subject. You just get some butter simmering, slap the herb in there, don't let it boil, stir stir stir, keep checking it, leave it for about 20-25 minutes then slap it in the fridge for an hour or two. Then just follow a normal cookie recipe, substituting the butter for your green marmalede. But if you don't think a tenbag will be enough, get an eighth, use 3/4 of that, I guess.

Question: Are we actually allowed to talk about drug food on here?

EDIT: Wait, I realized, a better way of saying all that would be to say use 3-4 joints worth in the butter.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2009, 14:37 by Thomas Edison »
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #404 on: 31 Jul 2009, 16:38 »

Today I stuck some waffles in the toaster and then slapped some butter on them and then cut them up and put syrup on them and those fuckers.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #405 on: 31 Jul 2009, 19:18 »

Thomas Edison I have very, very, rarely seen food that looks less appetizing than the meal in those pictures. Also, all you did was make rice. How is that cooking?

I had Duck Breast in a Raspberry Cassis sauce with Bacon Wrapped White Asparagus and Whole Roasted Pearl Onions with Garlic for dinner the other night. The cool thing about the duck breast was that after frying it to cook it most of the way you put it under a broiler for like a minute so the brown sugar/cinnamon dry rub caramelizes and you get an awesome sweet crust underneath the sauce.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #406 on: 01 Aug 2009, 03:06 »

How long do you boil rice before straining it? Is it minute rice or something? I've never heard of making rice like noodles. I bring the water to a boil, add rice and boil 5 minutes, cover and let simmer on low heat 20-25 minutes. The water-to-rice ratio is very important because I don't strain my rice, it just absorbs all the water while simmering, so if there's too much or too little water, the rice will come out either hard or mushy. Your rice intrigues me, Thomas Edison!

I do my rice from cold water. Put the rice in the pot and add water until it's a little under an inch over the top of the rice (for a cup or a cup and a half of rice, in a pot that's maybe 20cm across), bring to the boil and then turn the heat down to a simmer and cover for ten or a bit minutes, then turn the heat off and let it stand for ten fifteen minutes. I like to do most of the absorption while it's standing rather than over heat so you don't end up baking the rice at the bottom to the pot.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #407 on: 01 Aug 2009, 05:31 »

I use an electric rice cooker, where I fill the water to the line that has the number next to it that corresponds to the number of cups of rice I have put in (line with "2" for 2 cups of rice, etc.) and flip the switch and it does it all for me. Fuck Yeah perfect rice every time.

Now I just need to eat more rice.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #408 on: 01 Aug 2009, 05:57 »

I use the "boil in a bag" method whenever I eat rice, which isn't very often.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #409 on: 01 Aug 2009, 14:07 »

Also, all you did was make rice. How is that cooking?

What I did was make art, you philistine.
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2009, 14:11 by Thomas Edison »
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #410 on: 01 Aug 2009, 15:35 »

Nope, guess again.

Also, how the hell do you boil rice in a bag?

These things all sound like culinary atrocities.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #411 on: 01 Aug 2009, 16:12 »

Hey Keif throw up the recipe you used for your dinner because that sounds awesome.

I'd definitely eat it.  Unlike that first thing in this page which seriously looks terrible.
« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2009, 01:52 by Joseph »

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #412 on: 03 Aug 2009, 18:01 »

my old roomie from guelph came over today and we made a pie! just like old times! it was pumpkin cream cheese and it rocked.

i didn't have a 9-inch pie plate and used a 12-inch instead with the result that the pie came out a little thin and flat but dang if it still isn't one of the most delicious heart attacks i've ever eaten. i think there's a baking thread somewhere in the arts & crafts subforum but i never check that so screw it, the recipe's going here.

THE PIE CRUST:

5 tbsp cold unsalted butter
3 tbsp cold vegetable shortening
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp ice water

1. cut the butter and vegetable shortening into 3/4 inch pieces
2. in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt and stir to mix
3. add butter and shorten­ing pieces over the flour mixture and using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter and short­ening until the mixture forms large, coarse crumbs the size of large peas
4. slowly add ice water and toss with the fork until the dough is evenly moist and begins to come together in a mass but does not form a ball
5. transfer dough to floured work surface and shape the dough into a 6-inch disc
6. wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, at least one hour

THE PIE:

1 pie crust

1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg

1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin
1 cup evaporated milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp butter, softened

1. preheat oven to 350F
2. prepare and roll out pastry, line 9 inch pie plate with the pastry, trim and crimp edge as desired, set aside
3. in small mixing bowl beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, vanilla, and egg with electric mixer on low to medium speed until smooth, chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes, then spoon into pastry-lined pie plate
4. in medium mixing bowl combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg, carefully pour over cream cheese mixture
5. cover edge of the pie with foil, bake for 25 minutes
6. remove foil, bake for 25 minutes more
7. combine the pecans, flour, the 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and butter, sprinkle over pie, bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean
8. cool for 1-2 hours on a wire rack, refrigerate within 2 hours, cover for longer storage

that's it! no conclusion! everybody bake some pies!
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #413 on: 03 Aug 2009, 22:52 »

Recently, I made these cupcakes. Delicious does not begin to describe them.

http://www.peterandrewryan.com/baking/2009/03/chocolate-cupcakes-with-banana-cream-cheese-frosting/#more-1668

Chocolate Cupcakes with Banana Cream Cheese frosting

cupcakes
12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk, shaken, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
2 Tbsp brewed coffee
1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt

banana icing(When I made these, I said fuck it about the food coloring. What the fuck is the color of it gonna do to the taste? Nothing. Fuck that noise)
4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 Tbsp butter, room temperature
1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
3 small ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
yellow food coloring (amount may vary, add drops until you’re satisfied)(Unless you are a douche* and need the frosting to be yellow.)

1. make the cupcakes: in an electric mixer (or in a large bowl with a spoon), cream the butter and 2 sugars until light and fluffy. add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla and mix well. in a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream, and coffee. in another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. add the buttermilk mixture and the flour mixture alternately in thirds to the mixer bowl, beginning with the buttermilk mixture and ending with the flour mixture. mix only until blended. fold the batter with a rubber spatula to be sure it’s completely blended.

2. preheat the oven to 350F. line cupcake pans with paper liners.

3. divide the batter among the cupcake pans (1 rounded standard ice cream scoop per cup is the right amount). bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. cool for 10 minutes, remove from the pans, and allow to cool completely before frosting.

4. make the icing: in an electric mixer (or in large bowl with a spoon), mix all of the icing ingredients until well blended and smooth. if the icing is too runny, add a bit more cream cheese and confectioner’s sugar until it thickens. spread on the cupcakes while at room temperature.

*I actually think this Pete guy is pretty cool, and not a douche.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #414 on: 05 Aug 2009, 17:29 »

I am double posting because I am needy and I want something from you bakers.

BREAD RECIPES.

I want to bake some bread, damnit. Machine recipes not required, but I do have access to one if you have a particularlly good recipe.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #415 on: 05 Aug 2009, 17:37 »

bake bread with lumps of cheese in it. like when you do chocolate chip cookies, but with cheese and in bread.
then you can make a cheese sandwich with it right before bed!

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
  • prisencolinensinainciusol
« Reply #416 on: 05 Aug 2009, 17:41 »

Eating before bed causes nightmares which in turn cause the mental instability to think that cheese-lump-bread is a good idea. 

I'm sorry I don't have any recipes, as at current I am quite far away from my breadmaker, for which I don't have a lot of good recipes anyway.  I do have a really excellent pizza dough recipe though, and I could put that up if anyone wants it as soon as I can.

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #417 on: 05 Aug 2009, 17:43 »

Emaline I love making this bread, because it is just mix & bake and is fantastic with soup or stew. I skip the currants and generally don't do the glaze, but it's just good either way.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #418 on: 05 Aug 2009, 17:44 »

I'm down. Basically, now I have easy access to all kinds of crazy food stuffs(what the hell would you use a canned whole squid in squid ink for??) I am hella cooking.

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
  • prisencolinensinainciusol
« Reply #419 on: 05 Aug 2009, 17:46 »

I've usually seen squid ink in pasta accompanied by fried bits of squid.  The noodles look really cool with squid ink in them.

ETA: Or you could put it in someone's bathtub and really freak them out

ADDENDUM: Or maybe toilet?  Which would be weirder?

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #420 on: 05 Aug 2009, 18:28 »

Emaline I love making this bread, because it is just mix & bake and is fantastic with soup or stew. I skip the currants and generally don't do the glaze, but it's just good either way.

Good plan. Soda bread is not meant to have raisins in or be shiny on top. It is a simple food, for simple folk. Cover it in enough butter to cause a heart attack and brew a nice cuppa, and that is a good tea (maybe have some rashers too).
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

sean

• welp
« Reply #421 on: 05 Aug 2009, 18:49 »

oh shittttt diy soda bread i am about to be all over that shit.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #422 on: 05 Aug 2009, 19:33 »

i use james' bread recipe whenever i make bread (it is on his blog) which is a pretty good multi-purpose bread that you can add things to and modify to your liking. i also kind of feel like i am probably weirding him out big time with the amount of time i spend talking about him and how good his baking is every time the topic of baking comes up so maybe it is time for me to chill out for a little while.
sorry, james, i hope we are still cool please don't be afraid of me
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #423 on: 05 Aug 2009, 23:37 »

Tania it is cool no worries! We are now mutual friends of two people I know through not-internet! You are worthwhile to keep around just for that.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #424 on: 16 Aug 2009, 21:35 »

baking pie tonight. from scratch. So far, cutting in butter, sans pastry blender, sucks. My hand hurts. I used a wooden spatula. Looks, and smells great, though.

Bastardous Bassist

• brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #425 on: 19 Aug 2009, 10:52 »

I cooked the other night.  Really.  I don't have any pictures, but I'll describe it.

Panko-crusted tilapia (pan fried)
-just dredged in flour, egg then panko and pan fried until (as AB puts it) GBD
Shitake mushroom risotto
-Sweat of vidalia onions and red peppers with shallots and garlic.  Risotto (the normal method, and I use chicken broth damnit!).  Sautee the mushrooms (medium slice) with some cognac to deglaze and add.  Then finish with a whole shitload of parmesan cheese.
Roasted zucchini and squash
-Really coarse chop, salt, pepper, oil 450F oven
Beurre Blanc
-White wine, lemon juice and shallots over high heat.  Reduce au sec.  Add cream (optional) and heat for a little longer.  Reduce heat more and add butter slowly while whisking to emulsify.  Alternate on and off the heat to avoid the fat and cream separating out of the butter.

Now, I've made beurre blanc three times and I've never broken it, but it's only emulsified once (it's always been too thick), and that time it was on the verge of breaking.  Am I not heating it enough?  Am I not whisking it enough?  Did I not reduce the wine and lemon juice enough?  Who can help me?
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

nobo

« Reply #426 on: 19 Aug 2009, 18:36 »

I have chicken parmesan going in the oven right now. We'll see how it turns out, i didn't bread the chicken because I thought I didn't have eggs or bread crumbs. Turns out i was wrong.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

abadname

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • double plus good
    • http://www.myspace.com/roseofsharyn7
« Reply #427 on: 19 Aug 2009, 22:22 »

I cooked the other night.  Really.  I don't have any pictures, but I'll describe it.

Panko-crusted tilapia (pan fried)
-just dredged in flour, egg then panko and pan fried until (as AB puts it) GBD
Shitake mushroom risotto
-Sweat of vidalia onions and red peppers with shallots and garlic.  Risotto (the normal method, and I use chicken broth damnit!).  Sautee the mushrooms (medium slice) with some cognac to deglaze and add.  Then finish with a whole shitload of parmesan cheese.
Roasted zucchini and squash
-Really coarse chop, salt, pepper, oil 450F oven
Beurre Blanc
-White wine, lemon juice and shallots over high heat.  Reduce au sec.  Add cream (optional) and heat for a little longer.  Reduce heat more and add butter slowly while whisking to emulsify.  Alternate on and off the heat to avoid the fat and cream separating out of the butter.

Now, I've made beurre blanc three times and I've never broken it, but it's only emulsified once (it's always been too thick), and that time it was on the verge of breaking.  Am I not heating it enough?  Am I not whisking it enough?  Did I not reduce the wine and lemon juice enough?  Who can help me?
It's quite possible you reduced too much, so maybe back off the heat for a bit.  Also I never wisk with a buerre blanc, i usually just shake and swirl off the heat and only put it on when the pan cools too much.

Also, why don't you cook the mushrooms in the risotto when you do the onions and deglaze there?  you'd get a much better flavor in your risotto it seems.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #428 on: 19 Aug 2009, 22:38 »

I had Crepes Suzette tonight, with FRESH strawberries, raspberries, and freshly whipped cream.

The sauce took a long ass time to thicken, and it wasn't precisely measured enough in my opinion, but it still tasted scrumm-fucking-uncious.

I highly recommend cooking crepes. The only "special" ingredients you need for the version I cooked are fresh oranges, lemons, and a juicer of some kind.

Oh, and booze and a lighter, but I didn't do that (next time maybe). I guess I can't really call it "suzette", but they were still really good.
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2009, 22:40 by Be My Head »

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #429 on: 20 Aug 2009, 08:06 »

It's quite possible you reduced too much, so maybe back off the heat for a bit.  Also I never wisk with a buerre blanc, i usually just shake and swirl off the heat and only put it on when the pan cools too much.

Also, why don't you cook the mushrooms in the risotto when you do the onions and deglaze there?  you'd get a much better flavor in your risotto it seems.

Hmmmm...  I'll give that a shot next time.  As far as the mushrooms go, I wanted to sautee them and not sweat them because I think that they get a little rubbery when you cook them that long, but I don't know if I've tried doing them together in risotto.  Maybe the chicken broth will keep them tender?
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

abadname

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • double plus good
    • http://www.myspace.com/roseofsharyn7
« Reply #430 on: 21 Aug 2009, 12:18 »

Yeah, I see your point about them getting rubbery.  I don't think the stock will change how tender it is.  I've always done it in there.

I really want to get some morels and do some truffle oil-morel grits.  NOM NOM NOM

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #431 on: 30 Aug 2009, 05:17 »

Had my first crack at cooking mie goreng tonight (the proper stuff, not the instant noodles), and it went pretty damn well, except the sambal ulek I had in the fridge is nowhere near spicy enough, so next time I will make my own. If anyone likes spicy-fragranty-salty noodle dishes then this is a damn good one.

I used this recipe as a guide, but also added in tofu and potatoes (boiled first, then sliced thinly and fried with the rest) for my vegetarian housemate and cooked the chicken and prawns separately. And also I like to have a bit of lime to squeeze over the noodles when serving as well.

I've got a bunch more ingredients to use up, so I might cook it again tomorrow night and take pictures!
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2009, 05:21 by ViolentDove »
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Zingoleb

« Reply #432 on: 07 Sep 2009, 12:01 »

Okay, so, someone in this thread posted a link to Irish Soda Bread.

I can't find the link because my computer is being a shitcunt, so thank you to that person because it is fucking delicious. I just made it and oh my god, I have never baked bread before but I am going to keep doing this.

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #433 on: 07 Sep 2009, 12:06 »

It was me! That is one of my favourite recipes too. This is the recipe and it is super easy and super tasty so you guys should try it.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #434 on: 09 Sep 2009, 19:50 »

For dinner today I made the most excellent discovery.

I opened my refrigerator with the intent of making some kind of Bechamel on pasta for a meal, and discovered some Emmental cheese which had gotten hard and needed to be grated.
I then looked in the back and found some unopened cream cheese which had expired, but appeared to still be good.
Then I discovered some fresh ground beef and a potato.

The discovery was twofold: a Mornay sauce becomes luscious with cream cheese in it, and Swedish meatballs go wonderfully in that. Also a cubed potato found its way into the mix!

I so wish I had some of that left. So much better than whitesauce on pasta.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

Aimless

• Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #435 on: 29 Sep 2009, 14:24 »

Today I've tried a number of things for the first time.

I brined a whole chicken (thawed) with a brine solution with fresh ginger and garlic, lime-juice, and crushed dried chili-peppers. And some sugar! (I never use sugar for savory foods)

After a few hours I rinsed the chicken thoroughly, patted it dry, and rubbed it well with some dry rub I'd made from... well, stuff. Including sugar!!! Brown sugar! (I never use brown sugar) I then stuffed a half-full can of Grolsch (I've never bought Grolsch in a can--pretty sure the brand doesn't matter one bit though) punched through with some holes into the chicken, and grilled it in the oven. Standing upright!!! (definitely a first :D)

In low heat! (never do this with chicken that hasn't been deboned)

Increased the heat towards the end to brown and crisp it properly, took it out, used the drippings to flavour some delicious large-grained couscous (mixed with fried mushrooms and some perfectly done zucchini and cherry-tomatoes + fresh coriander and thyme), made a sauce from yoghurt and avocado and ginger and garlic and lime and fresh herbs and capers...

and then i ate all of it, and it was bloody delicious :D best ever. Esp. with ice-cold water :)

warmly recommended! the chicken was juicy and absolutely lovely :) gonna change some things for the next run, but from now on all my grilled chicken is belong to brine :up:
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #436 on: 29 Sep 2009, 17:44 »

In low heat! (never do this with chicken that hasn't been deboned)

Increased the heat towards the end to brown and crisp it properly, took it out, used the drippings to flavour some delicious large-grained couscous (mixed with fried mushrooms and some perfectly done zucchini and cherry-tomatoes + fresh coriander and thyme)

Sounds awesome, but you should also try it cranking up the heat (like, really hot roasting temps) and putting some potatoes underneath to catch the drippings, because it fries the potatoes as it cooks, and it's delicious.  It's like potatoes confit, except with chicken instead of duck fat.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #437 on: 29 Sep 2009, 18:02 »

This thread needs a page break so my FF stops having seizures trying to load Ryan's goddamn pictures. Goddamn, Ryan. Honestly.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #438 on: 29 Sep 2009, 18:07 »

Agreed.  Let's quickly knock this out by discussing knives.  What knives do other people use?  I have a Shun 8" french-style (not santoku).  It's pretty great.  I also sometimes use a Shun 6" boning knife and a Wüsthof serrated bread knife (it was actually the cheapest at the store).  Also, I use proper grip, which I've found to be very rare outside the culinary profession.  If you don't already hold your knife that way, I highly recommend it.  Chef made me start holding it that way, and it's really fantastic.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2009, 18:10 by Bastardous Bassist »
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #439 on: 29 Sep 2009, 18:09 »

Someday I hope to own fancy expensive knives. Right now we just have one big choppy knife that wasn't very expensive. Sturdy, but I know for a fact that there are better knives out there.

Also, I did not know that there was a proper way to grip your knife. I will try that next time I am chopping something!
Liz is touching me.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #440 on: 29 Sep 2009, 18:11 »

It will feel very weird at first, but then you will be quicker.  In my opinion, the main thing about good knives is that they tend to hold an edge better than cheaper ones.  As long as your knife is sharp, it doesn't matter what brand it is (we had the cheap, plastic handled knives in the kitchen, but we got new ones in frequently, so they were always razor sharp).
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #441 on: 29 Sep 2009, 18:25 »

It seems pretty sharp, but that is not a thing that will last forever. There is a store that does free knife sharpening in the mall on occasion, so if it gets dull we can take it in. Really, it cuts what it needs to cut. I think that is enough for me.
Liz is touching me.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #442 on: 29 Sep 2009, 18:27 »

Also, everyone says that it's safer to use a sharper knife.  That statement is true, if you're a careful person.  I am not a careful person in general, and as such I learned a number of lessons about paying attention to where your off-hand is.  I also learned one lesson about paying attention to where your fingers are on your dominant hand.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #443 on: 29 Sep 2009, 18:31 »

I have never cut myself while cooking, to my knowledge at least, but I suppose I don't hold my sharp knives correctly, so there's less chance of them being caught between blade and surface. Generally speaking I am more worried about the fingers on my non-dominant hand getting in the way as I hold whatever is being all chopped up.
Liz is touching me.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #444 on: 29 Sep 2009, 18:34 »

Yeah, I've only ever run into trouble on my dominant hand once.  I would usually have issues with my non-dominant hand because I'd be going as quickly as I did in a professional kitchen, but with less of my attention focused on the task at hand.  Once, I was cooking for this girl I liked, and within five minutes of her arriving, I had cut myself twice.  It was due to being nervous and distracted at the same time.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #445 on: 29 Sep 2009, 18:38 »

This thread is bringing back that little part in me that wants to go to culinary school. I was on a kick for a while where I just wanted to finish my degree and chuck it out the window to go to culinary school and become a shift. Really though I am just flighty, I've also considered philosophy, physics, wildlife biology, music, civil engineering, and who knows what else.

Also nice work. Did you two still hang out or was bleeding all over her food a deal breaker?
Liz is touching me.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #446 on: 29 Sep 2009, 18:45 »

We don't hang out because I don't think it really worked-out for other reasons (she really loved the food).  Amusingly, I think I saw her in traffic on my way home today.

I got my aspirations as a line cook out of the way as soon as I worked in a kitchen.  My hands couldn't take something that was being applied to them, and they started peeling and being really gross and dry, so I had to use moisturizer on them, which resulted in my callouses going away, and that was not acceptable to me, because as much as I liked to cook, playing music is everything to me.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #447 on: 30 Sep 2009, 01:22 »

Knives - Sabatier, what else?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #448 on: 30 Sep 2009, 01:41 »

I got my aspirations as a line cook out of the way as soon as I worked in a kitchen.

Basically chefs are possibly the most hardcore people I know including drug dealers and pub security guards. If you are ever going to get stuck up by someone holding a knife you should definitely try to be with a chef. Not that you should ever try to fight back against someone holding you up with a weapon, but this happened to me once and I guess if you are surrounded by lunatics wielding knives all day in a hot, cramped environment, you are less likely to be intimidated by someone threatening you with a knife, because my friend just haggled with the guy until we only had to give him a packet of cigarettes and some change for the bus to a suburb with more lucrative mugging prospects.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2009, 01:45 by Hat »
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #449 on: 30 Sep 2009, 09:19 »

Agreed.  Chefs are fucking bad-ass.  Real chefs.  Not the guy who sits at the front of the kitchen talking about how the food makes them feel.  The guy who's sitting there working the saute station while expediting orders.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2009, 19:41 by Bastardous Bassist »
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 47   Go Up