THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 457962 times)

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #550 on: 11 Jul 2010, 00:31 »

That's called honeycomb here, cuz. Not hokey pokey.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #551 on: 11 Jul 2010, 12:47 »

My favorite sauce for stir-frys and chicken, with a sort of Asian influence, is as follows:

In a pot gentley heat orange juice and soy sauce(I don't really keep track of the measurements, but I'm gonna say probably like 2 cups orange juice and a few tablespoons of soy sauce. Until it is a weird orange-ish brown. And tastes alright). Add honey(Probably about an equal amount as the soy sauce, but taste it! Always taste!), stir until combined. Then add some garlic and some fresh gingerm both finely minced. Continue cooking for a bit, just to bring out flavors. Pull it off whenever you are ready.

Now you can either throw it on some plain rice, or in a stir-fry, or on some chicken.(If you do chicken, then let it marinate for at least an hour, before cooking)
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

abadname

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • double plus good
    • http://www.myspace.com/roseofsharyn7
« Reply #552 on: 11 Jul 2010, 21:23 »

That sound ridiculously sweet.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #553 on: 11 Jul 2010, 22:48 »

Well soy sauce is absurdly salty, so that should cut it.

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #554 on: 12 Jul 2010, 00:52 »

For stir-fries I love to use a combination of balsamic vinegar, lime/orange juices, and (finely diced and sauteed) red peppers and garlic, and brown sugar to thicken.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

abadname

• double plus good
« Reply #555 on: 12 Jul 2010, 01:17 »

It's not that much soy though, and light soy is salty, dark isn't.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #556 on: 12 Jul 2010, 03:37 »

Pardon?  I was looking at the label on a dark soy bottle on Saturday, and it was 12% salt.  The "low-salt" one I was looking for turns out to be a mere 9% salt.  This is not good for the heart!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #557 on: 12 Jul 2010, 05:04 »

I have two main bases that I cook for food:

Equipment:
Kettle
Cup
Sieve
Microwave oven
Large microwaveable container (NOT specifically designed for rice)

Rice with lentils:
1 cup easy cook rice
1 chicken stock cube (can use vegetable or fish as appropriate)
1/2 cup lentils
water

• Put rice in container
  • Add stock
  • Start kettle
  • Wash lentils in sieve
  • When water boiled add lentils to rice
  • Add 3 cups boiling water
  • Put in microwave for 10 mins
  • Take out and stir
  • Put in microwave for another 5 mins
  • Serve

Rice with red kidney beans

Similar to above except:

• It's a can of red kidney beans instead of lentils
  • You don't need a sieve
  • You only need 2 cups of boiling water as the kidney beans should already be in water
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2010, 05:05 by HiFranc »
Francisco

abadname

• double plus good
« Reply #558 on: 12 Jul 2010, 11:30 »

Pardon?  I was looking at the label on a dark soy bottle on Saturday, and it was 12% salt.  The "low-salt" one I was looking for turns out to be a mere 9% salt.  This is not good for the heart!
When you taste dark soy it is not salty in comparison to light soy.  Dark is for flavor and light is for salt.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #559 on: 12 Jul 2010, 11:49 »

It's sweet but not ridiculously so. It's pretty fantastic. You should try it.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #560 on: 13 Jul 2010, 09:36 »

I was gonna say, that stir fry doesn't look like it's got overwhelming flavours. It ain't Kveep's full tablespoon of sesame oil.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #561 on: 13 Jul 2010, 14:14 »

mmm sesame oil
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #562 on: 13 Jul 2010, 19:16 »

Recently I have discovered the joys of steaming and of deep frying. Health-wise I like to think the two balance each other out.

Here is an incredibly simple and afordable meal which is also extremely delicious:

- chop up some pork fillet and marinate it for a while in a mixture of light soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, and water;
- cook some brown rice;
- take the pork out of the marinade and pat it dry on some paper towels, to remove the excess marinade;
- steam it for around 20 minutes;
- chop up some bok-choi, and simmer it in a saucepan in a thin layer of sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, and water, until it is well cooked;
- serve in a bowl in 3 layers: rice on the bottom, bok-choi in the middle, pork on top.

I've been experimenting with adding lapsang souchong tea leaves to the saucepan when I'm steaming the pork, to try to get some of the smoky flavour into the meat, but so far without success.

Also, if you can then get organic free-range pork, because the difference in flavour is unbelievable. Mass-produced commercial pork is so reduced in flavour that it's almost not worth eating - not to mention the miserable lives the animals lead.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #563 on: 14 Jul 2010, 10:56 »

I am maaaakking jeerrrrrky tomorrrroooow!

Also I am eating some rice and bean salad for lunch today, it is rice cooked with parmesean rind, beans from a can, and my marinated roasted red peppers and onions (caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, parsley) all mixed up and served cold. It is pretty good!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #564 on: 14 Jul 2010, 12:37 »

I made this last night and it was rad. Also a salad and a bottle of wine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iERZIRQEIJk&

Two nights ago we made grilled lime marinated mahi-mahi tacos with a cabbage jicama slaw, home made grilled corn pico, and a chipotle grilled corn creme sauce.

Also there was wild rice, and key lime pie. And 7-11 day free pina coloda slurpees with rum in them. And wine.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #565 on: 14 Jul 2010, 19:40 »

Once you have learned how to make carbonara you feel like a god, man that is amazing stuff.

I am slicing up my brisket before marinating it before jerkying it tomorrow, and I am hungry, so I just took a slunk that was too awkward to cut and now I am steaming it because Harry was like "Steaming, it's a thing". I am just using a cooling rack over a pot with a lid on top of it, it seems to be working. Basically I am just going to steam it, toss it with wing sauce, then eat it with a side of my bean-rice salad I am still finishing up.

Also, fuck brisket. Maybe I will cook it right sometime but it was a silly choice for jerkying because there is too much fat. One recipe recommended it and it was cheap but it ain't worth this hassle, since I ain't got razor-sharp knives.
I mean it is still a fun time and I value my experience chopping up this beef but I'm going to get a leaner roast next time.

p.s. midnight is the time when I toss things together with abandon so I am eating steamed brisket which was subsequently sliced and tossed with wing sauce, honey hoisin and honey mustard and mixed with beans and rice and pickled peppers and I am pretty pleased with it.
I mean, carbonara is bitchin' nd impressive, but this haphazard hodgpodge is fairly satisfying.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2010, 19:58 by Slick »

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #566 on: 14 Jul 2010, 21:04 »

James, it seems to me that the obviously cut would be flank.

And man, I do not mean to make you feel bad, but beef is really something that you should not steam. It should be seared. And brisket is so flavorful and I feel like steaming it will make it lose a lot of its flavors. What are you doing?

And since brisket is so fatty, its pretty damn tasty first seared, and then cooked up in a stew of sorts, or roasted. The best beef brisket I've ever made was seared on both sides, then placed aside while I deglazed the pot with some red wine. Cooked that up with a broth, a bouquet garni, and some veggies. It was amazing.

but expensive. How the hell is brisket cheap where you are? It is expensive most places around here, and only cheap at the Amish grocery, and you have to get there super early to get it.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #567 on: 14 Jul 2010, 21:09 »

Steaming's really good for pork and chicken but I don't know how it would go for other meats. Probably other poultry would be fine. Mabye it's only good for white meats? I dunno.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #568 on: 14 Jul 2010, 22:07 »

Yeah, I can see it for fish, and chicken, and pork, but I'm still iffy about the latter two. With ground meats, I feel like it would work out ok, but not bring them to their fullest flavor, but still be ok. But with a cut like brisket, I just can't see it.

Anyway, I made orange chicken, and fried rice for dinner. It was nothing special. Yesterday was Mediterranean stuffed peppers, and the day before veggie lasagna. Also, hummus. Those things were fun and tasty. Tomorrow, hopefully something also fun. Probably this salmon and pasta in a cream sauce I've been thinking of.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #569 on: 15 Jul 2010, 01:01 »

most of the fat on a brisket is removable though. that's why you smoke it fat side up, to allow the fat on top to render through the rest of the beef. if you're talking about the stuff in the meat, that's mostly collagen from connective tissue, and while that may make it a bitch to cut it'll hopefully turn out nice and tender as those collagens break down over the process of curing. let us know how it pans out, james!

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #570 on: 15 Jul 2010, 07:10 »

The main attraction of the steaming of the brisket was that it was hands-off, and that the steaming process should render the fat out to an extent. I was considering rendering the fat but decided it was not worth the hassle and potential smell.

You can get steamed beef at Chinese places, so I assumed it was OK. I know it is not as good as if it were barbecued (smoked) but it was a minimal effort dish that worked pretty well.

Jerky is in oven, I have already learned a few things.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #571 on: 15 Jul 2010, 09:10 »

OK so something weird just happened. I marinated the beef in soy, red wine, some sweet chili sauce, and black pepper last night before jerkying today. I figured, hey, beef and quinoa for lunch, so I will cook the remaining marinate a little bit and reduce it then use it as a sauce for lunch. I heated the pan, added sesame oil, fried some garlic, then poured the remaining marinate in. Immediately, it looked like an egg just in the pan; the bottom cooked up and came solid.
With a little more heat, it separated into this gunk and some light liquid, but I do not know what happened here! Did the marinate leach out the fat or the collagen and cook it? This is really weird and I don't know what went on here.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #572 on: 15 Jul 2010, 11:06 »

I'm sorry I can't help you, but that sounds hideously disgusting
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #573 on: 15 Jul 2010, 12:58 »

Slick, you're probably best asking a food scientist.
Francisco

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #574 on: 15 Jul 2010, 15:42 »

OK so:
Jerky is OK. A little too salty/soy-y. 3/4 cup of soy for 4lbs of beef is too much, despite what the internet recipes said. Maybe it is because I have more intense soy, sauce, though. Next time I will cut back and try marinating with sweeter barbecue style sauces for more rounded flavour.
Jerky is too crisp. I dried it for six hours in the oven, at which point it felt perfect, but on cooling and drying a bit more on the counter, it became crisper and sub-optimal. Still fine to eat and everything, but I thought the texture was perfect when I took it out and then it cooled and dried some more, so next time I will take it out before it feels perfect.
Also, I will try and get a thicker roast to slice. Some of this brisket was too tiny to lay across my oven racks, so I'll need more cooling racks or a thicker roast. Most of the strips were fine, but some were just too short.
Also that brisket was tough to cut in places (also it was cheaper than some things, more expensive than one or two things, maybe the price is higher in the states because there is more demand for it than here?).

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #575 on: 16 Jul 2010, 11:05 »

OK so something weird just happened. I marinated the beef in soy, red wine, some sweet chili sauce, and black pepper last night before jerkying today. I figured, hey, beef and quinoa for lunch, so I will cook the remaining marinate a little bit and reduce it then use it as a sauce for lunch. I heated the pan, added sesame oil, fried some garlic, then poured the remaining marinate in. Immediately, it looked like an egg just in the pan; the bottom cooked up and came solid.
With a little more heat, it separated into this gunk and some light liquid, but I do not know what happened here! Did the marinate leach out the fat or the collagen and cook it? This is really weird and I don't know what went on here.

salting meat is a two-step process: first it leaches moisture out of a thing, THEN it returns moisture to said thing. you might have caught the marinade in a "leach stuff out" phase.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #576 on: 16 Jul 2010, 11:17 »

I have not tried this recipe, but as it is, this is the only jerky recipe I've ever considered trying. It doesn't involve in oven, so its very very interesting to me. Also it comes from Alton Brown*, who is the only tv chef I really trust.

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
    * 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    * 2/3 cup soy sauce
    * 1 tablespoon honey
    * 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    * 2 teaspoons onion powder
    * 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    * 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    * Special Equipment: 1 box fan, 4 paper air-conditioning filters, and 2 bungee cords

Directions

Trim the flank steak of any excess fat, place in a zip-top bag, and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours in order to firm up.

Remove the steak from the freezer and thinly slice the meat with the grain, into long strips.

Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients. Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.

Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry. Evenly distribute the strips of meat onto 3 of the air filters, laying them in the grooves and then stacking the filters on top of one another. Top these with 1 empty filter. Next, lay the box fan on its side and lay the filters on top of it. Strap the filters to the fan with 2 bungee cords. Stand the fan upright, plug in and set to medium. Allow the meat dry for 8 to 12 hours. If using a commercial dehydrator, follow the manufacturer's directions.

Once dry, store in a cool dry place, in an airtight container for 2 to 3 months.

Also, videos!

Man, I have a flank steak thawing in the fridge now. Its for Cameroon suya, but it's really tempting to make jerky. Maybe next time.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #577 on: 16 Jul 2010, 17:29 »

See the thing I didn't like about that was drying it on a fan, I think that is lame. Or, at least, my meat will be heated to a safe internal temperature. It is a novel approach but I am not to keen on it.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #578 on: 16 Jul 2010, 18:51 »

Something about the enviroment being too acidic for bacteria to grow makes it ok for that method. Plus the meat it salted beforehand which also makes it difficult for the bacteria to reproduce.

It would not be the first time in that show that Alton Brown has made it ok to eat raw beef.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #579 on: 16 Jul 2010, 19:10 »

I see Alton's point, but I am inclined towards being more careful than not on account of not being totally sure how old the cut of meat is when I get it. I would be intrigued to try some cold-dried jerky but I am not convinced that my hitting it with 150 degrees really hurt the flavour that much.
Also I have an oven, I do not have a giant fan or want to waste filters. Also also I am disturbed that they said 'try to get cellulose not fiberglass'; I am allergic to fiberglass and ain't no one want microscopic fibers running around irritating their gut. Cellulose or no-dose, chumps. (edit: my thinking being that they should say get cellulose not fiberglass)

Flank is probably what I'll go with next, unless there's a good price on something.

Jerky texture is improved after a day in a zip-loc in the fridge. Apparently zip-locs aren't the best for jerky but then again this stuff is not going to make it anywhere near an expiry date.
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2010, 19:21 by Slick »

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #580 on: 17 Jul 2010, 15:27 »

oh man.

oh.

man.

So, last night we made the Cameroon suya, and it was fantastic and tasty and wonderful(as grilled meats often are), but we also had homemade falfael, and hummus. Oh my god. I swear to you, I have never had hummus or falafel this good. Seriously. This is the best ever. It's so flavorful.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #581 on: 22 Jul 2010, 12:08 »

Man so this job is so consuming that I feel like I have to do a lot on my days off or it'll suck me down into nothingness. I asked a guy at work if he ever had nightmares where he woke up from the *beep* sound we get when a call comes in; he said, quite frankly, that he drinks to much to have dreams.

Towards the ends of not losing my life to a shitty job and drinking my days off away, I am cooking today! I got a chicken from the store and I have been simmering it for almost two hours now. I have read different things on the preparation of stock, so today I am trying something different from usual. The plan is to simmer the whole chicken for two hours, strain and separate chicken from stock, then gently fry celery, onions, and garlic before re-adding the stock and bones to the pot (planning to save the chicken meat for adding to spaghetti to give it some protein) before simmering for another hour.
Then I will drain and discard the bits, and use the stock for roasted red pepper, asparagus, and jalapeno soup. Dried hot peppers really add a much nicer flavour to chicken soups, but I have just not had time to make any yet this summer.
Also there'll be a grilled, chopped chicken breast or two added in there towards the end of the souping.

The other thing I'm doing today is something I've wanted to do for a while but have not had the time to do yet! I making sweet red bean paste, and I will make a tart of pastry shell, red bean paste, and lemon curd. I have yet to find a person who thinks this is a good idea, but man I am so psyched for it. Sweet bean paste, I am going to take you places!

p.s. I just realized I haven't eaten yet today so I am just spreading cream cheese on slices of calabrese salami, rolling them up, and eating them.
Life is good when it isn't bad.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2010, 12:13 by Slick »

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #582 on: 22 Jul 2010, 17:18 »

I made a beef pie last night with a sour cream short-crust pastry.

Now I feel like I'm pretty much ready to conquer the world.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #583 on: 22 Jul 2010, 17:26 »

Someone give me an excellent recipe for quick beef casserole/stew please (with red wine perhaps).
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2010, 17:38 by Lunchbox »

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #584 on: 22 Jul 2010, 18:13 »

like, cook up some beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic, brown some stuff and then add some stock and wine or water
that's all I got, but that's just what I do for beef stew

I am a big fan of mixing meats, e.g. use chicken or turkey stock to make beef stew.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2010, 18:15 by Slick »

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #585 on: 22 Jul 2010, 20:12 »

Lunchy, my best suggestion is to slow-cook it the day before, or on a weekend or something. One of the great things about a beef stew is that it the flavour will improve as it ages, so you can cook a heap and then put it in the fridge or the freezer and you'll have a week's worth of meals to defrost at your leisure.

Brown the beef in some stock and red wine, then chuck it in an oven-proof pot along with the vegetables James suggested and some herbs (bay leaves, thyme, parsley) and salt and pepper for seasoning, and put it in the oven on a really low heat (you don't want it to boil or the meat will get tough) for several hours. That's literally all the cooking you need to do, it's so simple. Eat it with bread or with mashed potatoes and some fresh green vegies such as beans or peas.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #586 on: 22 Jul 2010, 20:45 »

See my problem with cooking is that I work full-time and get home at 6 on weekdays absolutely ravenous and want something RIGHT THEN AND THERE, and on the weekends I'm usually not at home.
I'd really like to have nice fresh food but it is an annoying trek to the grocery store and I'm incredibly impatient. I live on takeaway mainly.

Maybe I will try slow-cooking if I get any lazy time on the weekend.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #587 on: 23 Jul 2010, 19:28 »

just smoked a tri-tip. took me like two and a half hours but oh my god so worth it

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #588 on: 23 Jul 2010, 20:32 »

I want to try making macaroons. Are they difficult to make? Has anyone made them before?
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #589 on: 23 Jul 2010, 21:54 »

Hey Johnny buy me a smoker?

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #590 on: 23 Jul 2010, 22:34 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ka2kpzTAL8

Ceramic smoker. Apparently it works.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #591 on: 23 Jul 2010, 23:08 »

Jamie, I haven't made macarons myself (too scared and lazy) but Tartelette and Bakerella are the ones you should check out because they are the best at everything.

http://www.mytartelette.com/search?q=macarons&x=0&y=0

http://www.bakerella.com/macarons/

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #592 on: 24 Jul 2010, 09:53 »

Jerky take two starts today. This time I got 3 1/2 pounds of top-of-round for the price of four pounds of brisket,but I think it'll be worth it in trimming and slicing work. Plus, muscle ways more than fat, right, so this leaner cut ought to be close in protein value. The meats chilling for easy slicing right now, and I've got ideas for the marinate this time.
I'm going to mince some garlic, toss it 1/2 cup of dark soy, bring to a boil and simmer for five minutes to bring the garlic flavour out of the garlic, then add probably 1/8 cup each of hot rooster sauce and honey, tasting and adjusting up to 1/4 of either as seems necessary.
Drying procedure will be the same, but I will cut the strips a little thicker this time because they didn't need to be so thin as I had them last week. Also I will avoid slicing up piddly pieces because they are not worth the hassle on the racks.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #593 on: 24 Jul 2010, 23:36 »

It's 4:30pm and I started cooking a stew for dinner at 3:00. I will show pictures when it is done! Hooray!

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #594 on: 25 Jul 2010, 07:49 »

My mum makes macarons and sells them at the farmer's market at Exhibition Park in Canberra every Saturday morning, along with my brother who makes lemon tarts and brownies and the like. She's been doing it since the beginning of this year and apparently they're a real pain in the arse. But she's got them down pat now and they're amazing! They got a cover story in the food lift-out of the Canberra Times this week.

Um, anyway, so I guess the moral of the story is that you you should try and try again til you get it right.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #595 on: 25 Jul 2010, 10:05 »

Hey Johnny buy me a smoker?

you can get them for like a hundred bucks (a hundred i don't have)

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #596 on: 25 Jul 2010, 10:44 »

Man Australian macarons look way better than the macaroons I was thinking of. Typically I think of chocolate macaroons, or coconut macaroons, but those macaroons look pretty great.
I've been making meringues semi-frequently so I guess the difference is that your macarons have almond in them, a slightly different method of production, and delicious in between two of them. I will give those a shot soon.

p.s. goddamn this new jerky marinade is much better than last time's soy & red wine. I am going to up the black pepper and garlic and maybe a bit more honey.

p.p.s if using a sweet marinade, avoid putting meat directly on trays. The scrappy bits I just threw on a tray this time, but the sauce still on them burnt on the tray and left them with a little bit of a burnt taste. It wasn't a problem last time because the sauce wasn't sweet, but this time the scraps got a little burny. Cooling racks on trays work fine but I only have one cooling rack.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2010, 12:31 by Slick »

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #597 on: 25 Jul 2010, 15:48 »

James, they're actually French.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macaron

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #598 on: 25 Jul 2010, 18:41 »

My fiancee is making homemade jam right now, yum yum!

I went over to take a big whiff. That was kinda dumb, because I might have burned the inside of my nose.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #599 on: 28 Jul 2010, 17:22 »

Tried to figure out what to eat, despite the dwindling food supplies in my house

found some green onions that were still good, and most of a carrot

hey what are these peanuts? hmmm

sauté that shit and eat it with rice! In sichuan, preferably.

basically rice, soy sauce and sriracha make most random assortments of food I've got left in my house palatable
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 47   Go Up