THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 01:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 471955 times)

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #600 on: 04 Aug 2010, 08:48 »

My whole house smells like meat!

I am making jerky. The box fan way. I have high hopes for this stuff.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #601 on: 04 Aug 2010, 09:29 »

I actually had Macarons at Ladurée when I went to Paris last year. Other than feeling the most out of place I've ever felt anywhere, the macarons were actually pretty good.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #602 on: 26 Aug 2010, 20:36 »

So I just made my very first attempt at cooking ACTUAL FOOD in my ACTUAL APARTMENT (the latter may be a slight over-exaggeration, it's really a glorified dorm)

Wanted to keep it simple, so I got some chicken breast and sautéed it in olive oil and lemon and butter and garlic. It was really pretty tasty but my mom and girlfriend got me paranoid about undercooked meat so I ended up overdoing it a little and it came out a bit dry. I also made my own salad, but that was just shredded lettuce and some onions and cheese that I happened to have on hand. Still, I'm kinda proud about my first entirely self-made meal.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #603 on: 26 Aug 2010, 21:06 »

Congratulations! I'm always proud when I do a meal from scratch 'cause I'm super lazy in the kitchen these days.

Chicken is easy to overcook when you're doing it on a pan but what I figured out is if you cook with a lid on the pan (even if it doesn't fit perfectly) the juices all pretty much stay inside and the heat retains better so you get a juicy bit 'o chook without the worry that it's too pink inside (and a little bit of light pink juice is seriously ok, as long as you can like... see the fibres? if you get what I mean?). Then you can even let it rest in the pan with the lid still on to let the juices do their thing while you plate up the rest of the meal.
Also if you are really super unsure if it's cooked, dig into the breast a little with a knife in the fleshiest part and pry it open a tiny bit. Also don't be afraid to press on the meat with your finger, over time you will grow to learn what 'done' meat feels like.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #604 on: 27 Aug 2010, 06:11 »

From "I Like Food, Food Tastes Good", a recipe purportedly from Michael Dahlquist of Silkworm fame, which I am posting as it may be of interest to certain parties hereabouts.

CHEESY SLEAZY
Ingredients: an onion, some red or green peppers, maybe some sausage and other stuff to throw in there, if you've got it
two cans of refried beans
cheddar cheese
6 eggs
4 pieces of toast

Directions: 1. In a wide, deep pan, sauté your onions, peppers, sausage, etc. until they're cooked all to hell.
2. Dump in the refried beans, and stir.
3. Cover the beans with slices of cheddar cheese, and cover the pan with a lid.
4. Fry the eggs over easy or sunny-side up (3 per person).
5. Toast the toast.
6. Place the 2 pieces of toast on a plate. Put the eggs on the toast. Then dump the Cheesy Sleazy on top of the eggs (half the pan per person).

Meant to serve 2
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #605 on: 04 Sep 2010, 19:55 »

Was making burritos tonight and decided to experiment with the rest of the chicken breast I had. My roommates have been eating all my food lately, so I have have vowed that in retribution I'm going to do everything I can to use up the 3 cases of soda they bought the one time they went to the store. I ended up making Habanero Cola Chicken, and was seriously surprised with how tasty it was.
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #606 on: 04 Sep 2010, 21:02 »

homlomlomnomnomnom

There is a grilled cheese sandwich with a side of kielbasa sausage, roasted veg, and tomatoes. There is glompy-glomp gravy all over the place. It was real good.

Papersatan

« Reply #607 on: 08 Sep 2010, 15:03 »

My garden is finally producing (massive) tomatoes!

To celebrate, I made caprese salad:

For dinner I tried to replicate a chicken pie I had at a restaurant.  It didn't come out the same, but it is still tasty. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #608 on: 08 Sep 2010, 15:17 »

Oh, I'm jealous... my garden's mostly been producing cherry tomatoes so far this year.  That looks so good!

Other than getting the kind of variety that can produce such massive fruit, are there any tricks to getting good tomatoes, in the pruning or something?  I kind of just let my plants grow as big as they possibly can get on their own, with the thought that more flowers=more fruit.  But maybe that's misguided.

Papersatan

« Reply #609 on: 11 Sep 2010, 21:09 »

I think it is just the variety.  I just plant them and forget them, with maybe weeding them once or twice and watering them if it dosen't rain for a while. 

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #610 on: 12 Sep 2010, 12:11 »

caprese salad slays and one of my biggest mistakes food-wise this year was when in chicago i bought a stupid amount of like not-great prosciutto as lunch meat
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

cheesepie

• Larger than most fish
  • the limit as cool approaches awesome of myself
« Reply #611 on: 15 Sep 2010, 11:13 »

ok you know when you have butter and white wine, and you bring it to a nice boil and then reduce the heat and put a chicken breast in
ok well if you let that shit cook and then after you take the chicken out theres a powder you can add to make that sauce thicker... its not baking soda but its one of those things does anyone know what im talking about? Would be helpful, I wanna do exactly what i just described
I'd rather be skiing.

Papersatan

« Reply #612 on: 15 Sep 2010, 11:16 »

Cornstarch, arrowroot and flour all thicken sauces.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #613 on: 19 Sep 2010, 04:09 »

Roasted a leg of lamb today, put it in the oven at 7:15 and took it out at 6:30. Coated it with garlic, cumin and lemon zest on Friday. Also made some tabouleh to go with it. Instead of slicing it like I normally would I just ripped into it with a couple of forks and it came apart so easily. It was so delicious.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
« Reply #614 on: 28 Sep 2010, 03:29 »

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #615 on: 11 Oct 2010, 23:47 »

Heh heh, "pot smoker"

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #616 on: 11 Oct 2010, 23:52 »

I bought some smoked eel from the farmer's market on Saturday on the principle that (A) one of my most treasured food memories involved eel, and (B) sometimes you should try cooking with something you've never cooked before. Seeing as how we're in the middle of spring here I'm thinking of making a warm salad with the eel, some broad beans, some baby peas, some baby carrots, some asparagus, and some rocket. Maybe I'll raid the fridge and toss a few capers and shave some parmesan through there, too.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #617 on: 22 Oct 2010, 16:20 »

oh jesus fucking christ I just whipped up some maple meringue and goddamn is this shit ever delicious. I swear a lot when I feel regular language does not give enough punch to descriptions, and I have deleted two cuss words from that sentence there in the interests of common decency but that is how excited I am over this.

I just took my italian meringue recipe and instead of boiling up some sugar syrup, I boiled maple syrup and let-me-tell-you this is the best tasting shit so far. Light fluffy meringue with this ridiculously delicious maple thing going on and because it was made with the boiled syrup it is edible as-is (oh no oh no oh no) and it is tempting just to take the leftover meringue right now, fold it with whipped cream, and just mold it for eating.
Presently I've got 19 meringue cookies baking out in the oven, and I think that used up about half the batter, so were looking at material costs of maybe three or four bucks in ingredients. Apparently you mark up maybe 300-400% from your material costs to cover labour and overheads and whatever, so which I think means these could be sold for a dollar? That is excessively reasonable, I think, for a fucking maple meringue, assuming the dried cookies taste as near as good as this amazing meringue base.

My mum makes macarons and sells them at the farmer's market at Exhibition Park in Canberra every Saturday morning

Out of curiosity, if I can ask, do you know what her mark-up is over the ingredient costs here?
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2010, 16:22 by Slick »

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #618 on: 22 Oct 2010, 21:22 »

I'm not sure but I'll ask her next time I talk to her. If it's not a trade secret or something, I dunno.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #619 on: 24 Oct 2010, 18:55 »

Hey thread.

Bananas. I have some. What do?

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #620 on: 24 Oct 2010, 20:23 »

Are they getting mushy?  If so, banana bread (with chocolate chips, if you like!) or some kind of banana smoothie may be your best bet.

If they're still firm, my favorite thing to do with bananas is to take a big spoonful of peanut butter, slice them, and dip the slices in the peanut butter.  Not cooking, really, but so good...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #621 on: 24 Oct 2010, 23:39 »

=Bananas. I have some. What do?

Banana custard; no option.  With a bit of whipped cream if you're feeling fancy.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #622 on: 25 Oct 2010, 02:20 »

They're firm for now, but the only open counter space is on top of the fridge and I know I'm gonna forget about them up there. I do have some chocolate chips too...

Zingoleb

« Reply #623 on: 25 Oct 2010, 19:40 »

Hey guys, I found this site the other day. It's great for those days you're looking at what you have and you're going "now what the hell can I cook with this shit?"

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #624 on: 27 Oct 2010, 12:24 »

I like my mushy bananas in a milkshake. Just throw it in a blender with some vanilla ice cream. It tastes like cinnamon!

I could use some advice on popcorn myself. Half of the fun is popping it yourself, of course, so I always buy packets of unpopped corn and throw some in a pan with a lump of butter. The first time I did that, I dunked the whole 400g packet in a big soup pan like an idiot with no sense of expansion of volume, which made decent popcorn but 3/4 of it remained blackened and unpopped. Since then I found out that a good way to get all of it to pop is to cover the bottom of the pan in one layer of corn, and this usually fills it up entirely. Regardless, about half of my popcorn comes out slightly scorched, and even though it still tastes like popcorn it could be better. Who can tell me how to make my popcorn stay crisp and white?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #625 on: 27 Oct 2010, 15:50 »

I have bought ingredients for mushroom korma and, come hell or high water, I am cooking it tomorrow! I was going to cook it today but I didn't have time.

My question is this: the recipe calls for me to mix my own spices but I am too lazy and already possess a jar of korma paste which contains almost all the spices listed (I've bought the rest). How does curry paste work?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #626 on: 27 Oct 2010, 19:52 »

Sam made a fantastic pasta w/ olive oil garlic, capsicum, mushrooms, zucchini, and soy parmesan and then my big dumb ass stepped in and literally dumped a whole bunch of salt in and completely ruined everything, guess who sucks

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #627 on: 27 Oct 2010, 20:16 »

I made amazing soup tonight guys, just lentils and rice and potatoes and onion boiled in some vegetable stock with cayenne and a little garlic!
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #628 on: 28 Oct 2010, 13:24 »

Mmmmm mushroom korma. Totally worth it. Even if it was kinda cheating to use paste, it was goooooood. And I have leftovers for tomorrow!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

gospel

• the word
« Reply #629 on: 28 Oct 2010, 20:50 »

Hey thread.

Bananas. I have some. What do?
this. It's one of the only desserts from Alton that is really fucking amazing.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #630 on: 28 Oct 2010, 21:19 »

What Am I Going To Do With All These Green Onions

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #631 on: 28 Oct 2010, 21:32 »

scallions, potatoes, bacon, souppppppp
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #632 on: 29 Oct 2010, 06:39 »

Eat 'em raw, with dip. Like a party veggie platter, except you don't have to worry about no one talking to you the rest of the evening because you have such horribly bad breath.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #633 on: 29 Oct 2010, 23:47 »

yesterday i made them into a quesadilla, today i sliced some new potatoes fairly thin and fried them and tossed chives in at the very end (THIS WAS DELICIOUS BTW) and tomorrow i'm going to make an omlet w/ chives, fill it with grated romano & tomato, and then top it with prosciutto

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #634 on: 30 Oct 2010, 00:10 »

I just made a loaf of focaccia from scratch for the first time ever.

Oh god so good I ate half of it straight away while it was still oven-warm.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #635 on: 30 Oct 2010, 10:30 »

I read this article and I can't wait til I have a kitchen of my own in which to bake bread.

I'm always really drawn to people who are this batshit dedicated to something seemingly simple and benign.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #636 on: 31 Oct 2010, 10:45 »

HAPPY BREAKFASTTIME BITCHES

sauteed some chives and then poured in a mix of three eggs and some buttermilk, tossed in some diced tomato and a large handful of grated romano cheese, omletted that shit, topped it with in-house cured prosciutto i got from the italian deli and then added garnish. breakfast motherfuckers

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #637 on: 31 Oct 2010, 11:24 »

When last I was in Fredericton we hit this breakfast place at the market and they did me a good fry up like that plus loads of smoked salmon on top.
Goddamn smoked salmon w/bagel and cream cheese is so much what I want right now.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #638 on: 01 Nov 2010, 00:51 »

Wento to Costco today, bought a fuckload of beef mince + chicken breast. Suggesting things to do with those NOW

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #639 on: 01 Nov 2010, 01:07 »

REANIMATE THE CHICKEN

FORCE-FEED THE BEEF MINCE TO THE ZOMBIE CHICKEN

RE-KILL THE CHICKEN

ENJOY YOUR COW-FLAVOURED CHICKEN

PLAY GOD

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #640 on: 01 Nov 2010, 01:15 »

I mean aside from the obvious things, Harry

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #641 on: 02 Nov 2010, 09:16 »

never a bad idea to refine yr skills with the basics, dovey

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #642 on: 03 Nov 2010, 15:06 »

Question for you cooking types. When you are told to brown some meat, specifically chicken, how long should it brown for? Because I was told to brown some chicken and then bake it for 8 minutes (the temp wasn't listed on the recipe, so I tried 350). Took it out and it was definitely raw. I put them back in the oven on 400 and I'm going to check on them after about 20min. So I'm guessing that either I didn't brown them long enough or the temp wasn't high enough. (Probably didn't brown them long enough, which is why I'm asking you guys.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #643 on: 03 Nov 2010, 16:28 »

I can't imagine baking for 8 minutes doing anything useful at any temperature unless you were making cookies.
I'm sure your browning was fine, try looking up another similar recipe that might have a specific heat and longer time given.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #644 on: 03 Nov 2010, 20:23 »

Cooking it at 400 for 20 min finished it up nicely, though the ham mozzarella I put on it was rather well done when I took it out. (I was making this.) In hindsight, I should have cooked it all the way through, not browned it, because you only want to bake it long enough to melt the cheese. I mean, it was still good, but I'm sure it'd be better if done properly. Next time...

This weekend, though, I am making my grandmother's recipe for beef paprika and I'm so excited...

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #645 on: 03 Nov 2010, 23:02 »

Yeah – that recipe wanted you to cook the chicken all the way through, I think, and then top it with the ham and mozza. But the problem with that, as far as I can tell, is that you can dry your chicken out really easily.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #646 on: 03 Nov 2010, 23:05 »

I've made a similar thing plenty of times with napolitana sauce and cheese on top. If your chicken is crumbed well enough it should be fine, also the sauce/cheese helps keep it moist.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #647 on: 04 Nov 2010, 12:51 »

Wait are we just talking about good ole fashioned chicken parmigiana? What you wanna do is pound them chicken TITTAYS flat, that'll help.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #648 on: 04 Nov 2010, 13:50 »

you just wanted an excuse to use that word didn't you

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #649 on: 06 Nov 2010, 14:25 »

My grandmother's recipe of beef paprika is cooking right now! Chopping the onions and garlic brutalized my eyes, but now it smells so good. I can't wait to eat it in....2 hours. Want.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 47   Go Up