THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 457972 times)

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #650 on: 08 Nov 2010, 10:07 »

Linds, you're going to give me that recipe, right?
Ho, ho, ho!

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #651 on: 08 Nov 2010, 10:56 »

Thai-style veggie curry. Unfortunately I didn't read up on how to prepare lemongrass so it's got a few hard bits in it :( Absolutely delicious apart from that though.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #652 on: 16 Nov 2010, 12:36 »

Last weekend our local Tesco had whole free range chickens reduced to £1.55 because they were going out of date that day. We got 2, took one home and roasted it, and froze the other.

I defrosted the second one and today I rather proudly stood over my girlfriend and showed her how to butcher it up for the first time, she got 2 amazing fillets! It was a bit pointless, because we then diced all the meat and she made a curry, but she got to learn! Anyway the curry was tasty as shit, but my girlfriend always cooks way to much rice.

What I'm really chuffed with is my rice pudding! So I heated the leftover rice with some whole milk until the rice softened back up, then stirred in the leftover coconut milk and about 3 tablespoons of sugar and brought to the boil, then I added like a teaspoon of ground nutmeg and the same of cinamon. Kept that shit boiling until the liquid has been absorbed and served myself a bowlful of that shit, and damn yo, it was tasty. I'm thinking a dollop of strawberry jam in that would have been awesome.

So yeah. Don't do this if the rice has been sitting around for like a day, but if its leftover from the dinner you just had, you should be safe kids!
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #653 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:24 »

I always thought rice pudding, like fried rice, was supposed to be made with day old rice? Am I wrong then?
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #654 on: 16 Nov 2010, 21:27 »

Naw, you're right Kat. Just don't leave it sitting out uncovered to get all weird and crunchy.
Ho, ho, ho!

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #655 on: 19 Nov 2010, 02:59 »

I prepared and cooked fresh artichokes for the first time ever yesterday! I feel like I've come of age in some way. Okay, granted, they were only baby artichokes so none of them had developed a choke which had to be removed, but still, there was a lot of removing of leaves and cutting of spines involved. But then they were delicious at the end of it all! They tasted just like artichokes from a jar but I made them all by myself!

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #656 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:22 »

So this is so simple it barely qualifies as cooking, but like last week I took a bunch of chopped onions leftover from burrito night and caramelized them up with some olive oil and a pinch of brown sugar. I am not used to my meals taking almost an hour to prepare, but it made some pretty average pulled pork into a freakin fantastic pita.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #657 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:39 »

Linds, you're going to give me that recipe, right?

I can, yeah! When I'm more awake, anyways.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #658 on: 06 Dec 2010, 13:57 »

I defrosted the second one and today I rather proudly stood over my girlfriend and showed her how to butcher it up for the first time, she got 2 amazing fillets!

Kudos.

Just finished making some stock with some left over roasting carcasses. Going to reduce it down before making a nice cream gravy for a chicken & ham pie.

Papersatan

« Reply #659 on: 06 Dec 2010, 14:21 »

For thanksgiving I made buttermilk biscuits.  I had leftover buttermilk and I made waffles with it.   Why, WHY, WHY have I been using a mix my whole life.  I love waffles from a mix, but this, this was heaven.   

Ethney

• Not quite a lurker
  • Glug Glug Glug
« Reply #660 on: 07 Dec 2010, 06:43 »

Last night I made sour cream sugar cookies all by myself, and they actually came out great!

This is how I made them, but you can edit it how you want. (ex: more flour, less sugar, less salt, add baking powder, whatever you like.)
I somehow lost my vanilla extract, and was all out of baking powder(my recipe called for 2tsp)...but it worked out :)

Recipe:
5c flour (sifted)
2tsp baking soda
1c shortening (i like the butter flavored crisco)
2c sugar
2 eggs slightly beaten
1c sour cream
1tsp salt
2tsp vanilla

Mix together shortening+sugar+eggs+vanilla.
In separate bowl mix sour cream+baking soda (It will fluff up, which is pretty cool)
Add the sour cream mixture in with the the rest of the ingredients and finally add the sifted flour.
Let chill in the fridge for about a half hour or longer especially if you want to make cut outs

Bake in 350 degree oven for about 10-12 minutes or until lightly brown

*If you aren't making cut outs, I recommend taking the cookie batter and making dough balls so they come out really round and pretty

Let cool, then add frosting and sprinkles!

« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2010, 06:51 by Ethney »
Gold Lion's gonna tell me where the light is

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #661 on: 07 Dec 2010, 10:11 »

CINNAMON BUNS
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

leahneedsanap

• Plantmonster
« Reply #662 on: 08 Dec 2010, 09:15 »

For thanksgiving I made buttermilk biscuits.  I had leftover buttermilk and I made waffles with it.   Why, WHY, WHY have I been using a mix my whole life.  I love waffles from a mix, but this, this was heaven.   

Oh man I bet they were delicious.

I spent most of college trying to convince my friends it was dumb to buy pancake mix instead of a bag of flour and some baking powder, but it mostly just ended up with me making all the pancakes/waffles.  Then someone came home with one of those bottles of bisquick you pour water in, shake up, and pour out like it was fabric softener, and I abandoned all hope.  Whatever, MORE PANCAKES FOR ME.

The best thing about homemade waffles is putting toasted nuts or fruiit in them. Om nom nom.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #663 on: 08 Dec 2010, 09:24 »

I made shrimp last night for the first time ever. Two different kinds. They were pretty alright. Also made a porcini risotto, and a salad.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #664 on: 08 Dec 2010, 09:42 »

i'm making fried chicken, i'm using buttermilk, in conclusion fuck you
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #665 on: 08 Dec 2010, 09:52 »

Is that a fuck you because we don't get to have any?

Because honestly I was just starting to think about going to KFC.

Your shit sounds way tighter though.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #666 on: 08 Dec 2010, 10:38 »

no it's because people keep telling me not to use buttermilk, they're like "just dredge it in flour"

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #667 on: 08 Dec 2010, 10:40 »

Dude those people are fucking retarded.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #668 on: 08 Dec 2010, 11:13 »

Who are these people? Home-made fried chicken isn't worth making unless buttermilk is involved.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #669 on: 08 Dec 2010, 11:36 »

Leave it to Canadians to try and ruin fried chicken.

No buttermilk? Seriously, JC, who are they?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #670 on: 08 Dec 2010, 12:12 »

chris onstad says no buttermilk!!!! and a guy i know from nashville

look how wrong they were.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #671 on: 08 Dec 2010, 13:15 »

Alton Brown uses buttermilk. And probably Paula Deen.

Ho, ho, ho!

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #672 on: 08 Dec 2010, 13:35 »

MotherFUCK I want fried chicken so bad.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #673 on: 08 Dec 2010, 14:32 »

This spring I have started doing two things for the first time:

1) Preparing and cooking fresh artichokes;

2) Making caramel.

Both are a lot easier and more straight-forward than their reputation suggests! So far I have yet to combine them.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #674 on: 08 Dec 2010, 14:34 »

Never have any buttermilk left over after making muffins...

In other news, I made a kick-ass chickpea curry earlier this week.  I made it too hot for my wife, so ended up throwing in some cauliflower and small pieces of some rather boring wild boar sausages as well; it was excellent.
« Last Edit: 08 Dec 2010, 14:37 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #675 on: 09 Dec 2010, 08:22 »

Alton Brown uses buttermilk. And probably Paula Deen.

Paula Deen probably just uses whatever "butteryall" is.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #676 on: 09 Dec 2010, 08:29 »

Inlander, is that Jerusalem or Globe?

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #677 on: 09 Dec 2010, 14:35 »

Globe.

The first ones I did were just babies, so they hadn't developed a choke yet. Subsequently I've been using adult ones and there's been a hell of a lot of fluff to dig out from the middle.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #678 on: 09 Dec 2010, 15:13 »

i found goose

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #679 on: 10 Dec 2010, 01:35 »

Globe.

The first ones I did were just babies, so they hadn't developed a choke yet. Subsequently I've been using adult ones and there's been a hell of a lot of fluff to dig out from the middle.

Yeah, the effort to reward is a fine balance with them. Are you doing them with a Hollandaise sauce?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #680 on: 10 Dec 2010, 08:16 »

SonofZ3

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #681 on: 12 Dec 2010, 09:12 »

For Sunday Dinner at the Morell/Cerar Household this Dec. 12.

Roast, corn, and garlic mashed potatoes.

Roast-
In a crock pot, mix-
1/4 cup red wine
1 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
1 package au jus gravy mix
tablespoon sweet mustard
tablespoon worchestishire sauce.
whisk together above ingredients. Add chopped sweet onions to taste, or whole peeled pearl onions.
Add roast, cook on high 2hrs, low 5-6 ,more hrs, until meat falls apart with fork. stir sauce and turn meat every hour or so.

Garlic Mashed potatoes-
Peel potatoes and garlic. There should be about a 4/1 ratio between garlic and potatoes. Chunk and boil together, this takes a lot of the potency out of the garlic.
Drain and mash cooked potatoes and garlic together with 1/4 stick of butter, and a small ammount of half and half. Mix in 4oz. sour cream, 4oz. heluva good french onion dip, and some grated parmesean cheese. Take 2 eggs and beat in a seperate bowl, add about 1/4 cup of your mashed potatoes to the egg and mix together. Fold the egg/potato mixture into your bowl of mashed potatoes and mix completely. Transfer to cassarole dish and bake at 350 for an hour and a half, until top of potatoes are beginning to be browned.

Corn- Take frozen corn out of bag, heat up.
I've gained nothing from Zen.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #682 on: 12 Dec 2010, 10:11 »

last night i braised lamb shanks and here's how i did it

3-4 shanks
1 onion
2 carrots, cut into 3-inch quartered staves
2 stalks of celery, same as above
4 cloves garlic
2 tsp tomato paste
2 bottles stout or porter
1 cup-ish chicken or beef stock
rosemary
thyme
bay leaf
parsley

preheat an oven to 500 degrees. coat the shanks lightly with vegetable oil and place them in a dutch oven. put the dutch oven in the preheated oven for approximately five minutes, or until the heat gives the shanks a nice sear. alternatively you can sear the shanks over the stove, about five minutes a side on medium-high heat, if you aren't afraid of smoke. either way, once the shanks have a sear, remove them from the dutch oven and set them aside.

the recipe i followed said to drain the grease and add vegetable oil. don't do that, it's dumb. instead, toss your onions and garlic right into that rendered fat and soak up the dense lamb flavour. it adds richness to the braising liquid you'll soon be making. saute them over medium-low heat for five minutes or until they turn kind of translucent, and then add the other aromatic veggies and the tomato paste. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY TOMATO PASTE then use marc's trick over at no recipes - steam a tomato or two and push their guts through the bottom of a decent-sized strainer using a pestle or the back end of a spoon. you can also probably just plop a diced tomato in, though you'll want to maybe gut the seeds from it if you can.

anyways. saute those veggies for another five minutes and use a wooden spoon to stir them around and scrape the bottom of the oven to get all the browned bits down there up and into the veggies. once five minutes have passed put the shanks over top of the sauteed vegetables and cover them with a bottle of beer, the stock, and enough of the second bottle of beer that it just covers the top of the uppermost shank. bring it to a simmer over high heat; while you're waiting, take all the herbs except the rosemary and find a way to get them into the dutch oven. ideal is you're using fresh herbs and can just tie them together securely with kitchen twine. if you're not you can make a little cheesecloth pouch for the loose dried herbs and the bay leaf and then plop the pouch into the broth. if you don't have cheesecloth, just toss the herbs in. when you're dealing with the braising liquid later you'll have to strain all the herbs out but you're gonna have to live with that.

once it's simmering and you've got all your herbs in there, pop a lid on it, turn the heat down fairly low, and let it braise for about two to three hours (it took me about an hour and forty five minutes, honestly, but the longer they go the more tender they'll be). the shanks are ready once you can pull the meat apart using a fork with little to no effort. the rosemary is added in the last ten minutes; check the shanks for doneness and, when they're done, pop in the rosemary and let it go for another ten minutes. it's not like they'll suddenly get tough.

pull the shanks out very gently and set them under foil to keep warm. turn the heat up and bring the braising liquid to a boil until its volume reduces to whatever consistency you desire. strain it into a tureen. untent the shanks, dish out whatever sides (i made roast potatoes and steamed broccoli) and pour a healthy ladle or two of the braising liquid over top of each shank. serve.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2010, 10:13 by Johnny C »

Papersatan

« Reply #683 on: 13 Dec 2010, 22:16 »

Tonight I made banana-coconut tapioca pudding.  It rocks.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #684 on: 13 Dec 2010, 22:28 »

i pan-seared a fucking duck breast today. duck, you assholes. do you understand me? i pan-seared it, and then i added a couple of my brandied cherries, and then i put on some of the preserving liquid and broiled the underside of the duck so that it was glazed nicely and richer in flavour, and then i paired it with a spinach salad w/ walnut, raisin and thin-sliced apple. my life owns

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #685 on: 13 Dec 2010, 22:47 »

Is that because you wussed out on cooking the goose?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #686 on: 13 Dec 2010, 22:51 »

no i just need to buy one but i found multiple goose sources

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #687 on: 13 Dec 2010, 22:58 »

I hope you all appreciate my restraint in avoiding using the term "chickened out" in connection with the cooking or not cooking of poultry.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #688 on: 13 Dec 2010, 23:20 »

no cryin foul here

SonofZ3

« Reply #689 on: 14 Dec 2010, 07:03 »

Test batch of Cranberry Pistachio cookies in the oven!

Sorry, no avian jokes!

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #690 on: 14 Dec 2010, 10:18 »

Test batch of Cranberry Pistachio cookies in the oven!

Sorry, no avian jokes!

really laid an egg on this post

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #691 on: 14 Dec 2010, 13:56 »

Are you doing them with a Hollandaise sauce?

No. I've cooked a couple of recipes from the Silver Spoon with them (because that cookbook's fantastic when you don't have a lot of money): one where they were fried after being marinated for a couple of hours and then dipped in flour and egg to make a simple batter (that was delicious) and another where they were baked on top of a later of potato wedges (also delicious). I've also made tossed them through pasta a couple of times along with other springy ingredients. I stirred some of the leaves that weren't really suitable for battering and frying through some left-over risotto I had once and that really perked it up. I dunno, a couple of other things I can't remember.

SonofZ3

« Reply #692 on: 15 Dec 2010, 06:59 »

Cranberry Pistachio cookies, make these people. seriously

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange zest
1/2 cup shelled pistachios (2 1/4 oz. not dyed red)
1/3 cup dried cranberries (1 1/4 oz.)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup decorative sugar (preferably coarse)
parchment paper

Make Dough:  stir together flour, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
Beat together butter, granulated sugar, and zest in a large bowl with an electirc mixer at medium high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 batches, mixing until dough just comes together in clumps, then by hand mix in pistachios and cranberries. 

(This can all be done by hand but it's a little more labor intensive.)  If you have a hand mixer that will definitely work best.

Gather and press dough together, then divide into 2 equal pieces.  Using a sheet of plastic wrap or wax paper as an aid, form each piece of dough into a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.  Square off long sides of each log to form a bar, then chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, until very firm, at least 2 hours.

Slice and back cookies:

put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.  Brush egg over all 4 long sides of bars (but not ends).  Sprinkle decorative sugar on a separate sheet of parchment or wax paper and press b ars into sugar, coating well.  Cut each bar crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices, rotating bar after cutting each slice to help keep square shape.   Use a very sharp knife so the pistachios are cut clean.   (If dough gets too soft to slice, freeze bars briefly until firm.)  Arrange cookies about 1/2 inch apart on lined baking sheets.

Bake cookies, switching position of sheets halfway thorugh baking, until edges are pale brown, 15 to 18 minutes total.  Transfer cookies to racks pulling the parchment off the cookie sheet.  Cool completely.

COOKS NOTES:  Dough bars can be  chilled up to 3 days or frozen, wrapped in plastic wrap and then foil, 1 month (thaw frozen dough in refrigerator just until dough can be sliced).  Cookies keep in an airtight container at room temperature 5 days.)

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #693 on: 05 Jan 2011, 19:46 »

This is the pie I made! The crust is flour, shortening and water. The filling is 5 McIntosh apples, a pint of raspberries, 3/4c white sugar, 1/4 flour, and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Crust is brushed with egg yolk and whipping cream, baked at 375C for 75 minutes. I covered the top with foil for the first hour to keep it from browning too quickly.
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2011, 21:43 by allison »
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #694 on: 05 Jan 2011, 20:05 »

4:20 caramelise onions everyday

allison

« Reply #695 on: 05 Jan 2011, 20:29 »

nooo everyone is going to miss my pie go to the last page and look at my pie

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #696 on: 05 Jan 2011, 21:08 »

that was a gorgeous pie, people. seriously, go look. i was particularly impressed by the lattice, and the idea of combining apples and strawberries.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

allison

« Reply #697 on: 05 Jan 2011, 21:43 »

Oh jeez I wrote strawberries but actually I put a pint of raspberries in the filling! Whoops!

Also thank you Rosie that means a lot to me! This is the first pie I've made unsupervised by a seasoned pastry maker.
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2011, 21:45 by allison »

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #698 on: 05 Jan 2011, 23:16 »

1) that is a seriously bomb-lookin pie and lattices are Hard Work and Serious Business, so good freakin job

4:20 caramelise onions everyday

2) everyone post sweet onion tips. here's mine.
  • add a splash of balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, or cider vinegar, depending on how you feel, for a tangy carmelized onion
  • make a regular carmelized onion but instead of using brown sugar use maple syrup
  • balsamic roasted onions are an insane low-level appetizer in terms of prep but pretty high-level in terms of how good they taste and how much you'll impress guests. and if you're just cooking for one or two then it makes a killer low-effort side dish
  • you can add wine during the carmelization process, or you can straight-up braise your onions and then just fry them on a high heat to get the dark carmelized bits in 'em. but if you're going to make a pizza, don't carmelize onions beforehand because that's just goofy. instead, soak yr sliced onions in some red wine for a few hours, drain the wine (it's still drinkable and apparently Onion Wine is a thing? but i think it's kind of gross) and then toss the wine-soaked onions on top of the pizza. if you blast em with the proper heat they turn soft and rich. so good.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #699 on: 06 Jan 2011, 00:32 »

I don't have any sweet onion tips that you haven't already covered.

This is what I made for dinner tonight. Just for me. I made the ballz and the sauce from scratch but sadly not the pasta.
It was good.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 47   Go Up