THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starcraft 2 to be three games, internet to explode  (Read 69197 times)

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
Re: Starcraft 2 to be three games, internet to explode
« Reply #200 on: 24 Apr 2009, 10:25 »

Everyone beats the Lions.  Shit, my high school team could beat the Lions.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #201 on: 24 Apr 2009, 17:38 »

I was going to say something about Starcraft 2, but - jeez, guys.

Jeez.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #202 on: 26 Apr 2009, 02:29 »

You mean Monkey?

Yeah, same thing.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #203 on: 01 Jul 2009, 01:04 »

Starcraft II won't have LAN support. People are blaming pirates.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #204 on: 01 Jul 2009, 01:58 »

I blame Blizzard wanting in on the Xfire/Steam market.
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #205 on: 01 Jul 2009, 02:03 »

The way I see it happening is that you all connect to Battlenet to authenticate your separate cd keys, someone hosts a room with a password, you all join it & it gets hosted locally just like a LAN game.  Authenticating through BNet lets them make sure you have a proper cd key, and then at the end of the game it'll probably report game stats back to Battlenet.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #206 on: 01 Jul 2009, 12:59 »

That means every computer needs an internet connection though.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #207 on: 01 Jul 2009, 13:11 »

I've hosted LAN parties and these days, with the internet connection I have, in a lot of cases using battle.net is actually faster than wired play.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #208 on: 01 Jul 2009, 14:49 »

Yeah, but most people aren't in that situation.  I've played on Battle.net maybe three times.  We play over the LAN all the time.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #209 on: 01 Jul 2009, 18:04 »

Or to be on a LAN with an internet connection?  Most people I know at the moment will have some sort of internet gateway device that allows multiple people to use the same internet connection.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #210 on: 01 Jul 2009, 18:05 »

Or to be on a LAN with an internet connection?  Most people I know at the moment will have some sort of internet gateway device that allows multiple people to use the same internet connection.

Wouldn't that game lag really bad?
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #211 on: 01 Jul 2009, 18:35 »

Not if it's only being used mostly for authorization and such.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #212 on: 01 Jul 2009, 18:36 »

Yeah, what Alex said.  Once a battlenet game is set up one of the players becomes the host, so if they are all on the same subnet then the traffic would become local.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #213 on: 01 Jul 2009, 18:37 »

Obviously I am only speculating, so I could be completely wrong, but I would find it really odd if they cut out LAN play entirely.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #214 on: 01 Jul 2009, 23:10 »

I have friends who Hamachi their Starmans.

Which, technically, means they only use LAN.

All_Ľour_Bass

• Plantmonster
  • STARBUCKS IST KRIEG!!!!
« Reply #215 on: 04 Jul 2009, 23:36 »

I'm a huge Starcraft fan, so without getting into what why who when how and for how many oreos-
I will be buying all three disks, as well as custom building a computer, not only so I can run it, but I seriously need to upgrade/update what I use for a desktop in general.
"I can't turn orange juice into alcohol-but I know a yeast who can.You can ferment just about anything with sugar in it; the product may not be worth the effort-for example my garlic wine didn't seem popular."
- Bored chemist (of thenakedscientists.com)

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #216 on: 24 Aug 2009, 07:11 »

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/22/blizzcon-2009-starcraft-ghost-lives-on-in-spirit/ (quite a few other sites with similar news just look around)

Map Editor features look quite in depth, although it's obviously moved from a simple mapping tool to something resembling a developer's kit.

And I really, really wish they stopped fucking around and just finished Starcraft: Ghost already (just for the story really because the third-person shooter craze is really old news by now). It was a great idea to put something new into the Starcraft franchise and I'll be really disappointed if they release nothing but novels, comics and Starcraft 2 side missions, which would be a total cop-out on the concept.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #217 on: 24 Aug 2009, 11:27 »

I thought Starcraft: Ghost was officially dead.  Not just postponed over and over, but scrapped.  But I don't remember where I heard that.

ackblom12

« Reply #218 on: 24 Aug 2009, 11:51 »

I'm pretty certain they announced that a couple of years ago. They were working on it and just unceremoniously dropped it because it was apparently not turning out how they thought it should?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft:_Ghost

Yeah, last paragraph. Basically it's been a clusterfuck. They said they cancelled it 2 years ago, then said it wasn't "technically" cancelled and it's probably never getting made.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #219 on: 26 Aug 2009, 04:29 »

Probably just to prevent the people who actually cared about the project from running riot. They put it into development hell because it wasn't finished in time or something.

The issue of Starcraft Ghost irritates me on various levels. Firstly, it's the fact that Blizzard dropped a really good and fresh concept. Secondly, it's the fact that they denied that it was completely dropped, when it clearly seemed that they had no intention of finishing it in the future, and thirdly, it's the fact that they've dropped it and then tried to "apologise" in some sort of way by putting the characters into little side missions and relatively unimportant modding tools in favour of the Big 3 (RTS, RPG, and MMO) they've adopted.

And whatever side-missions with Nova they *have* put into Starcraft 2 I have absolutely zero enthusiasm for because unless it plays like Starcraft Ghost it's just another RTS level. I was enthusiastic for Ghost because it wasn't just another RTS level, it was a third-person shooter title with stealth, elements which weren't completely chartered back in 2001. The developers had a chance to explore something new and more immersive for players, but pulled out when it would have worked. And that I suppose is the biggest tragedy about all this shit-in-a-franchise-box.

And I am VERY unenthusiastic about the novels and comics that they've released.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #220 on: 26 Aug 2009, 09:59 »

I'll never understand why people are so hung up on Ghost. For one thing, we don't know if the game would have turned out well. Most indicators are that it wouldn't have or else they probably would have stuck with it. The fact that other companies have successfully followed the 3rd person stealth blue print to success doesn't mean that Blizzard would have. It's not an area they had real experience with and Nihilistic Software apparently wasn't doing any better. Keep in mind that Nihilistic's big release up until that point was an ambitious but ultimately shitty game set in the Vampire: The Masquerade universe. There were some experienced developers involved in it, to be sure, but they were still a relatively new operation and isn't exactly unheard of for people to fail to keep their shit together after transitioning to a different work environment or taking on new responsibilities. Really, all we can know for sure is that Blizzard has some egg on their face thanks to picking the wrong pony to bet on. It happens.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #221 on: 26 Aug 2009, 10:15 »

That's the thing.  We don't know exactly why Blizzard dropped/shelfed the Starcraft: Ghost project, but I would bet that it was not because they spent a bunch of time and money to develop it, and then suddenly said "Oh that's right, we don't like this kind of game.  We only like these other kinds."  They're a business, and if you're in a business, you only have a few good reasons for abandoning a project.  One is that it is clearly turning out badly, and no amount of reworking of things is going to save it and make it worth putting more resources into, so you cut your losses.  Another is that the market has changed and you now find yourself sinking money into something that won't make your money back, so you cut your losses.

Blizzard had a huge reorganization/buyout/whatever some years back.  Wasn't Ghost basically one of the casualties of that?

ackblom12

« Reply #222 on: 26 Aug 2009, 10:22 »

Mainly I was excited to see Blizzard try something a bit different out. It getting dropped was kind of my last bit of hope of continuing to enjoy Blizzard in general. Diablo III still looks good, but I lost interest in Starcraft and Warcraft years ago. It's a little sad when I quite honestly keep seeing Starcraft II info and don't even have the tiniest bit of interest in it when I loved Starcraft.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #223 on: 26 Aug 2009, 10:41 »

Yeah, I feel the same way.  Diablo 3 looks like I might actually enjoy it, but I could give two shits about the Starcraft/Warcraft franchises.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

ArcAirbender

• Emoticontraindication
  • Anthrōpos metron
« Reply #224 on: 26 Aug 2009, 12:35 »

...and no amount of reworking of things is going to save it and make it worth putting more resources into, so you cut your losses.
So you never played Team Fortress 2 with commentaries, did you?

No one is beyond redemption, it just that it takes time and hard work, y'know?

... I lost interest in Starcraft and Warcraft years ago.
Here here!
Quoted from: Inlander on July 29, 2008, 08:41:49 AM
Man, why is every new person who disagrees with group opinion on this forum suddenly and automatically branded a troll? I don't get it, and I don't like it. Homogeneity is the enemy of intellect, people

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #225 on: 26 Aug 2009, 12:36 »

I really liked Starcraft's multiplayer, so I'll be buying this regardless. I'm not a huge fan of throwing myself to the wolves that lurk on battlenet, granted, but that just means I'll have to stick with playing against my brother and former roommate. I'm fine with that. Perhaps I just don't have the same relationship with developers that a lot of people on the net seem to feel. I guess I just figure that I'm pretty likely to get my $50-$60 worth of entertainment from a Starcraft sequel, which makes whether or not I should buy it a pretty easy decision.
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2009, 12:40 by Alex C »

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #226 on: 26 Aug 2009, 15:26 »

Yeah apparently the cancellation was something about being overshadowed by the Diablo, Starcraft and Warcraft franchises

We don't know that it could have turned out well, but back in '01/'02 there was still quite a bit to explore and any flak that the game would have copped then would probably have undertones of "well at least it's experimentation". And from the gameplay vids that have come out (there are quite a few) aren't half bad for an 02 game. I'll be honest, in today's day and age it would probably be pretty shoddy but if they'd completed it at the time, it would have been a fairly solid-looking game. I'm inclined to compare it to Modern Warfare: a comparatively standard shooter but adding a greater level of immersion into the franchise.

Also, the guy playing in those videos sucks. =P

I understand that Blizzard is running a business here, and I could probably understand them if they released it to lackluster reviews and then decided to forget about it afterwards. But experimentation is the key to improvement, and as we all know the stealth franchises and the third person shooters still had plenty of selling power.

Orbert, Blizzard requisitioned the company that was developing the game, so the decision to scrap the project was probably initiated by a higher-up's change of heart. I think that it was a matter of "Oh, wait, I don't think this would sell". It coulda/woulda sold, and IMO they made the wrong decision. Unfortunately, it so happens that a whole bunch of other titles sprung up later that took advantage of the selling power, and the developers have now missed the bandwagon of cash.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #227 on: 27 Aug 2009, 08:39 »

I agree that it could have been cool, and in general I'm all for companies, especially game designers, trying out new things.  But business is business, and businesses make bad decisions all the time.  And yeah, this was probably one of them.  There's only one thing you can do:

* SPAWN MORE OVERLORDS *
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up